Breaking Bad Prequel Spin-Off Better Call Saul Ordered to Series at AMC

Get More: News, Series Orders

Breaking Bad Prequel Spin-Off Better Call SaulWant to keep a fan-favorite character going after the show on which he appeared comes to a close?

Better Call Saul!

On Wednesday, AMC and Sony Pictures Television — the parties behind Breaking Bad — reached an agreement to create a BB prequel centering on Walter White’s shady lawyer Saul Goodman.

The project, which has been rumored for months,  will bypass the traditional pilot process and go straight to series.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on 45 of Your Returning Faves

The network announced that the one-hour spin-off  “will focus on the evolution” of the morally-challenged counselor before he became Heisenberg’s defender.

How soon before? That’s a good question. Bob Odenkirk plays Saul in Bad, which will have its series finale on Sept. 29; AMC has not said whether the actor will inhabit the role in the prequel, which has the possibility of depicting Goodman at a much younger age.

Will you watch the Saul-centered series? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (44)

• This is better news than winning a trip to Belize!

Comment by RockGolf (@rock_golf) – September 11, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prequel, hmm? Is that foreshadowing he will die on Breaking Bad.

Comment by MissVCI – September 11, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, bitches!!!

Comment by Lisa – September 11, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually like a prequel better than a continuation because it allows for them to be able to kill Saul now. Also it means that this show has a fixed ending. It has to be before Walter came into his life. So wherever they begin, they know it has to end at a certain point. Well done.

Comment by Rob – September 11, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A better show would be with Badger and Skinny Pete and their antics.

Comment by Jacque – October 4, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who is not a fan of character and thinks better shows could be produced at AMC than this?

Comment by DavidSask – September 11, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Doug – September 11, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Only one, yes. You stand alone against every living human being that has ever lived on this earth, past, present, and future. Representing a taste so foreign that only those aliens from independence day could relate, and we know what THEIR attitude was. Never, EVER, take on a job as a tv executive, I fear for the souls of mankind if your preferences are allowed to be enacted on the population at large.

Comment by Ty – September 11, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, you’re not. But they have to at least try to extend the life of Breaking Bad. Maybe they can parlay it into something worthwhile, but I doubt it.

Comment by Mike J. – September 11, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Vince Gilligan attached?

Comment by Joel – September 11, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, he will be working on it with the writer of the original “Better Call Saul” (episode) writer from Odenkirk’s first appearance in season two.

Comment by TV Gord – September 11, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t imagine anyone else filling the role than Bob Odenkirk and I would have a hard time watching it without him.

Comment by Ryan – September 11, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I fully agree.

Comment by Buzz – September 11, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You better watch saying that,because some jerk just attacked me today for saying it saying who said he would not play it? Then he proceeded to tell me to read the damn article which obviously he did not in its entirety…

Comment by Tami – September 13, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A Saul spin-off without Bob Odenkirk would be idiotic

Comment by MDS – September 11, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it a drama or dark comedy?

Comment by lisa – September 11, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dark comedy, obviously.

Comment by Zach – September 11, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • one hour??!! hmm im not sure how i feel about it, it would work as a dark humor 30 min comedy but 1 hour comedy-drama about saul? idk

Comment by god – September 11, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! But they better call Bob for it, what’s the point if they cast someone else?

Comment by Sara – September 11, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Odenkirk, no dice.

Comment by Waage – September 11, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on iwatch2much and commented:
    I am so excited about this. First of all Saul is a great character. Second, since it will be a prequel this means that we will see all the clients that Gus deals with including Gustavo Fring played by the wonderfully talented and handsome Giancarlo Esposito. Good job AMC.

Comment by nguber – September 11, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We’ll also get to see more Mike Ehrmantraut!

Comment by DL – September 11, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No one going to sit through 45 minutes of Saul each week. 10 minutes, maybe.

Comment by MyHeadIsAlreadyHurting – September 11, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perhaps, but some folks said the same thing about Frasier Crane.

Comment by Marc – September 11, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Speak for yourself. I’ll watch anything that has any amount of the Breaking Bad writers attached to it, whether it’s 30 minutes, 60 minutes or 600 minutes.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 11, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really, AMC? You’re not going to renew The Killing, but go with Better Call Saul? Poor, poor choice.

Comment by Trista – September 11, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey, now, there’s room for both.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 11, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Especially if they ax something like Small Town Security, if it hasn’t already been.

Comment by Tom Charles – September 11, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “The Killing” is such an embarrassing take on Twin Peaks it’s not even funny. That show’s legacy is the only thing it’s killing. should be called Who Ripped Off David Lynch.

Comment by youpeoplemakemesick – September 16, 2013 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He actually just moved to New Mexico…if you all remember. He was run out of Boston like a couple of years b4 the start of Breaking Bad. Also it would be dumb to not have Odenkirk…he was the one that made a bit character in to a series gem. Even if they kill him off he should be in the pilot.

Comment by Trenton – September 11, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I really like Saul. I hope they keep the same actor.

Comment by bobbie – September 11, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think I care too much for this.
    I think Saul is fine in small doses but will just become moronic when he is the main focus.

Comment by ryaneco – September 11, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A prequel series would be good. I hope Bob will reprise his role on the show. It wouldn’t work with a younger actor playing the role.

Comment by Joey – September 11, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I’m not interested if Saul is played by anyone other than Bob Odenkirk. HE IS SAUL, that character wouldn’t work with anyone else, am I right?!

Comment by Laura – September 11, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Better Call Saul is a prequel, does that make it also a sidequel that can take place at the same time as episodes of Breaking Bad that happened BEFORE Saul was introduced in the show?

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 11, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this really ends up being a prequel, as someone else here already already mentioned, then we may very well see more of Mike! This. Is. Epic.

Comment by Brett – September 11, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know how well it will go over without the original Saul actor playing him. I don’t do well with new character transition…lol

Comment by tami – September 12, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh, where was it stated that the original actor wouldn’t be playing him?

Comment by brettboylen – September 12, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Read the damned article.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 13, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I DID! I read a few different articles on this and it said that the guy that originally played Saul may not be playing him because this story is supposed to be based off his younger years before Heisenberg etc. Which they may possibly be getting another actor to portray Saul in that day and time. So why don’t YOU read the article(s)!! Stop being so rude to people you don’t know just because you are on the internet does not entitle you to be a jerk to people…maybe you should do some more reading before jumping down someone’s throat…

Comment by Tami – September 13, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Thanks for writing this nice paragraph for my four word sentence. But please don’t ask me to be more patient with people who are asking questions on an article they clearly didn’t bother to read. Welcome to the internet.
            PS: In case you thought I was talking to you, Tami, I wasn’t.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 13, 2013 11:59 PM PDT
          • It notified me that you replied to my comment which is why I said what I said and I most definitely give paragraphs if it calls for that type of response to what you typed. There was no one word sentence to put to that. Sorry. I am over it and it’s all good.

Comment by Tami – September 14, 2013 08:26 AM PDT
  • HELLO KITTY,….REALLY ? Of course I’ll watch,……BITCH !

Comment by Jo Jo Gunn – November 25, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know he dead but they should do a spinoff bout mike he wad the sh*T NO QUESTION ASKED ….

Comment by mark – January 6, 2014 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post