AMC Cancels The Killing (For Real)

Get More: Cancellations

The Killing CancelledAMC has sentenced The Killing to death — this time for real.

“We have made the difficult decision not to move forward with a fourth season of The Killing,” read the network’s official statement. “We want to thank our great partners at Fox Television Studios, creator Veena Sud, an extraordinary cast and the dedicated fans who watched.”

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

AMC famously pulled the plug on The Killing after its much-maligned second season, only to change its mind several months later. The show’s recently-concluded third season garnered mostly favorable reviews and solid-ish ratings.

Last month’s season finale drew 1.5 million total viewers while scoring a 1.2 household rating — up from the 1.4 mil/1.1 that the drama’s so-so sophomore season finale delivered and on par with its Session 3 average.  The rain-drenched police drama launched in 2011 to 2.7 million viewers and a 2.0 household rating, while Season 3 opened to 1.8 mil/1.4.

Post your Killing eulogies in the comments section, and be sure to include an answer to this spoilery Q: Do you think Linden would’ve ended up doing time for murdering you-know-who in the S3 finale?

Tags: ,

Comments (157)

• That’s too bad! This season was better than the first two combined!

Comment by C.C. – September 10, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • terrible news…. what a great show….. perhaps the fact that the guy who plays Holder signed up to star in the reboot of Robocop had something to do with it?
      You dropped the ball on this big time AMC

Comment by Glenn – September 11, 2013 03:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Robocop has already been filmed. So that doesn’t have anything to do with it.

Comment by Gary – September 11, 2013 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that’s not fair at all!!! that show was really good….so much reality tv going on. it was great to watch real people on tv who are not fake…get rid off all the good shows and scrap it for TLC or some other garbage…

Comment by crystal – September 17, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved Season 3….especially the Finale. Watched 10 episodes in two days on Netflix….awesome.

Comment by Chuck – November 10, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • best season yet this show gets better and better so sad its over cant B-leave that they keep the law and order, csi crap but get rid of an awesome show like the killing ill never understand American viewers and why most of them like crappy police shows.

Comment by chris – November 12, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THX FOR NOTHING AMC . IT ALWAYS COMES DOWN TO GREED AND NOT CARING ABOUT THE FANS . BUT ID LIKE TO SAY THX TO NETFLIX FOR GIVING US ANOTHER GREAT SEASON (3)

Comment by chris – November 12, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s a shame, especially coming off the best season to date.

Comment by JeffDJ – September 10, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so sad :( this past season was soooo good! I was really looking forward to Season 4. At least I can research on Netflix.

Comment by Diane – September 10, 2013 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha! Re-watch. Silly autocorrect.

Comment by Diane – September 10, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the hell?! Season 3 was perfect!!! I’m so bummed. Ugh, why does this ALWAYS happen with the shows I like… They ended the show so well, I won’t get over this. Next they’ll be canceling The Walking Dead (I know they would never, but I’m upset).

Comment by Drew – September 10, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I WOULDNT SAY NEVER. NETWORKS CANCEL SHOWS THAT ARE DOING WELL ALL THE TIME I.E. DOLL HOUSE , DEADWOOD, NIKITA, THE BORGIAS , LOST , HEROES , THE LIST IS A MILE LONG. AGIAN THX FOR CANCELING THE KILLING AMC .GREEDY BUMS.

Comment by chris – November 12, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s what they said last time

Comment by James – September 10, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! I ditched after the bad season 1, but season 3 ad better ratings than season 2. Weird. But it probably will come back.

Comment by David4 – September 10, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me incredibly sad

Comment by Jackie – September 10, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY??????????????
    Every time a good series comes along the plug is pulled while total “crap” continues.

Comment by denis v. – September 10, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree but AMC does have some of the top quality out there: Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Mad Men, etc. And they’re loyal to their shows, so perhaps there’s some unknown factor involved

Comment by Laura Aliaga – September 10, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • loyal to their shows? Do you work for AMC? Rubicon had Mad Men numbers and was pulled. The Killing already was cancelled but then when Netflix got involved it was brought back. AMC is like any network.

Comment by theMicronian – September 11, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what?! this season was incredible. What a bunch of idiots.

Comment by Rebekah – September 10, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another quality show bites the dust.

Comment by Carly – September 10, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad bad bad decision. This season was fantastic.

Comment by Lana – September 10, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Buuuuuuu

Comment by Yunuem – September 10, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Killing was brilliant, what the hell?!

Comment by Josh – September 10, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! These are two of the best actors on television! WTF?!!!?!?!

Comment by were – September 10, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, a show with great story..great actors that makes you think, use your brain and what does get renewed ? Vampires, zombies, shows with canned laughter to tell you when to laugh and Honey Boo Boo??????? Go figure.

Comment by luv.swans – September 10, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s business unfortunately. The shows you mentioned all get much higher ratings than The Killing. I agree its a shame but its not the other shows faults (and I happen to think that zombie show is pretty thought provoking and well-acted in its own right). To each ther own.

Comment by Jaime – September 10, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was going to say the same thing. I am going to miss it

Comment by Luvmygreys – September 10, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, I actually liked the whole thing, but Season 3 stepped it up, best characters on TV in a non glossy, non reality show that the numbers who make up the ratings seem to enjoy so much. So sad to see this go and I hope it sees a rethink.
      Interesting that Zombies get ratings while we move through a world constantly offering a life where we no longer need to have any thoughts or views of our own.

Comment by Factotum – September 23, 2013 02:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so not happy! where will I get my Holder and Linden fix????

Comment by Sush – September 10, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that just pisses me off ..one of the best shows on tv..period..best writing, best actors..what a bunch of assholes..

Comment by Jackie Denney – September 10, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unfortunate, but the ratings were too low . . . an I never watched it.

AMC has very limited capacity – Breaking Bad [Ending]/Mad Men [Low Rating/Enging]/Rubicon [Good/Ended], etc.

I have never watched Hell on Wheels but it sounds ok, other than The Walking Dead, I do not know how AMC will prosper

Comment by Bob Jones – September 10, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You underestimate AMC. They will do just fine. For a network that started showing American Movie Classics commercial free, their reinvention as an ad supported cable TV network with strong series programing is nothing short of amazing.

Well Bob, I’ll tell you how they will prosper. They will have more outstanding original programing. Seen Low Winter Sun? Think Vince Gilligan is going to retire? Think the people who brought you Mad Men have got nothing left?

So AMC has very limited capacity does it? Well Bob Jones, you are about to learn a valuable lesson as you hear about (because I know you don’t watch) AMC prospering. Ya see Bob, it takes more than owning a TV to understand TV. And right now you don’t understand much. But maybe you will as AMC does just fine.

You might even try watching AMC. And “The Killing” seasons 1 &2 are on Netflix. Watch. Be amazed.

Comment by Ted Sutton – September 10, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOW WINTER SUN is getting lower ratings than THE KILLING. If that’s your evidence of how AMC is going to “prosper,” then I think you’re in for disappointment.

Comment by Simon Jester – September 10, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have given up on Low Winter Sun. It’s just not moving me. I was disappointed that The Killing ending as it did, but had hoped would offer some interesting directions for another season. No such luck. I adored Rubicon, so when AMC wouldn’t give it a chance, I am not surprised by its lack of support for other shows.

Comment by Kay – September 10, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Gosh Ted Sutton…thanks for making us all understand. And for doing it in such a thoughtful completely condescending manner. You get the jerk of the night award. Congrats!!!

Comment by Just sayin – September 10, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Low Winter Sun was so dumb we deleted it from our taping schedule after 2 shows on the other hand The Killing is excellent and one of the best shows on television. Plus the actors are absolutely believable. Everyone I have talked to has been very disappointed about this cancellation. They are making a mistake and will lose viewers. No one I have talked to has watched Low Winter Sun more than one episode so if this is their idea of better they will be in trouble.

Comment by Dee Gibosn – October 28, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh great! And this season ended on a damn cliffhanger. What were the writers thinking ending it like that….

Comment by Stinky Feet Lover – September 10, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s actually how they ended the final season in the Danish version, Linden basically executes the unarmed bad guy and her partner helps her escape the country. No happy ending, in true Killing fashion, it ends dark

Comment by Laura Aliaga – September 10, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now hopefully Netflix will pick it up.

Comment by Ric – September 10, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whaaaaaaaaaat ?????? Nooooooooo ! No ! No ! No ! No ! No ! They can’t do that ! Not after such a fantastic season 3 ! Any chance to be picked up by another Network or by Netflix ? I want to know what happens beyond the season finale !

Comment by Lili – September 10, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry to hear The Killing is cancelled. Season 3 was great.

Comment by DanielleZ – September 10, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!! DAMNNNNNN, LINDEN….

Comment by jenferner8 – September 10, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMC sucks. Maybe Netflix will come through. Especially after that cliffhanger.Geez.

Comment by Robin – September 10, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, please please PLEASE tell me there’s a chance Netflix could pick this up for just one more season?! AMC has no idea what they just did! The Killing was one of THE best shows to air versus the mindless sitcoms and “dramas” they air today. I adored this show so much.

Comment by Andrew – September 10, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes Michael Ausiello please find out for us if Netflix will take up the reins for season 4 and have the Killing be a part of their original programming. (I’m surprised that AMC made that decision before season 3 streams on Netflix. I would think that would be part of their deal – that AMC couldn’t make any decision that would deter people from watching the show until after it had premiered on Netflix.)

Comment by K – September 10, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks. At least give us 1 final episode, considering the cliffhanger!

Comment by Gayle – September 10, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s too bad but I guess I have the last season of True Blood to keep me happy on Sundays at nine.

Comment by kate – September 10, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And they keep renewing that unwatchable Hell on Wheels and will probably renew the excreble Low Winter Sun. After the Killing had such a creative and gripping season!

Comment by Queerbec – September 10, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! Have you tried watching Hell on Wheels?! It’s God-awful. And Low-Winter Sun? AMC practically shoved that show down our throats! Looks like a “Breaking Bad/The Killing” wannabe. AMC screwed this one up. Breaking Bad is ending, Mad Men will be ending, and now they just cancelled The Killing. All they have left is The Walking Dead, and the last half of last season was just “meh”.

Comment by Drew – September 10, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like Hell on Wheels too (but not as much as The Killing). I believe their ratings have gone down too so who knows if that will be renewed after this season. It’s a shame though. It will be interesting to see what AMC can do to “bounce” back after their mega shows end.

Comment by Jaime – September 10, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hell On Wheels is very good, and certainly a lot better than The Killing.

Comment by MoreTears – September 10, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad news for everybody including me. RIP The Killing :-(

Comment by Flacco Kapernick – September 10, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOO! this was such an amazing show. BRING IT BACK! I need this show to come back :( cant they give us at least one more episode or something.

Comment by Mary – September 10, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about a Christmas Special!!!

Comment by Dorothy – September 11, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bull Crap. Season 3 was awesome

Comment by jo – September 10, 2013 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is good to hear. Season three started great but they weren’t able to keep the momentum. At the end it became too convoluted. Hated that the guy in jail was never exonerated and they didn’t even let him see his son. And that finale was just one nausea-inducing moment after the other. Especially the very end. I had already decided not to continue watching.

Comment by Babygate – September 10, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Babygate, i think you missed the point of the entire season in regards to the death penalty and how some prisoners are put to death are, in fact, innocent. Him being exonerated was never the end game. You do know that right? And prison guards treating prisoners bad isn’t exactly news, so them denying him seeing his son was just part of the story. No offense, but were you awake when you were watching this season?

Comment by K – September 10, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nicely put, K.

Comment by SueZ – September 11, 2013 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay AMC is sturid!

Comment by joterri – September 10, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i meant stupid

Comment by joterri – September 10, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh for the love of God…..again?!! This past season was stellar. This is just ridiculous.

Comment by Alichat – September 10, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show!! I was hoping for a Holden/Linden kiss next season. sniff. ):

Comment by tahina – September 10, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised. I had to stop watching because I couldn’t manage the show and my course load but 3rd season was much improved (at least what I saw).

AMC needs to reevaluate. From what I understand MAn Men isn’t doing so great and isn’t it ending after the next season. There are only three more episodes of Breaking. Bad. I couldn’t get into Low Winter Sun and now don’t have the free time to try. I don’t hear much about the cowboy train show. It’s really just Walking Dead that’s their tent poll show going forward. And while its entertaining I have spent several English classes way off topic discussing story problems with that show, so its far from perfect. Zombie fever amongst audiences wont last forever, just ask the CW about their Vampire spin off in a few months (that ship has sailed)

Comment by Toia – September 10, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Bag Lady Boutique.

Comment by bagladyboutique – September 10, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was the best of all three seasons & Ms. Sud did a magnificent job transliterating the original Danish with English subtitles as aired on BBC4 in the UK into a show for AMC for the US, but that show has also ended its run. The writers have moved on to other stories. I hope Veena Sud will too.

Comment by ArleneH – September 10, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not surprised – haven’t watched AMC since 1998 when they canceled one of their first (or was it THE first?) forays into original programming, “Remember WENN.” They never allowed the show to wrap up a cliffhanger, which of course made the fans angry. Worse than that, though, is they still have their hands on that show and it has not been released on DVD – ridiculous when shows with shorter runs (and less quality) are put on DVD all the time. They must still get inquiries, though, because there is still an item on the FAQ page about the show. “There are no plans to re-broadcast or produce additional episodes of “Remember WENN,” nor is it available for purchase.” I hope “The Killing” gets better treatment than that! –Signed, 15 Years Later, Still Bitter and Hate It When I See this Happen to Other Shows

Comment by jemeg – September 10, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMC has already treated the Killing in a similar way. They didn’t produce the second season on DVD…only allowing Amazon.com to make copies on DVD-R through their MOD Manufacturing ON Demand program. Who wants crappy homemade copies of stuff? And it costs just as much as a regularly produced DVD. I’m sure they will do the same to season 3.

Comment by K – September 10, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You can watch the first 2 seasons of The Killing on Netflix streaming. Season 3 will follow.

Comment by Ted Sutton – September 10, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who even watches crap 480p DVD’s? Seriously, get a HTV and get some sense. The entire series is on itunes in 720p and 1080p. Although definitely not Bluray quality, it’s much better than crica 1990 DVD quality lol.

Comment by ajintexas – September 10, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you haven’t watched AMC since 1998 you have missed a hell of a lot. Ever hear of Breaking Bad or Mad Men? And AMC does not own all the shows they run so they often have no say in what goes to DVD. Breaking Bad for example is owned by Sony Pictures Television.

You need to do some homework jemeg. Your information is 15 years out of date.

Comment by Ted Sutton – September 10, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • thank you, thank you, thank you for remembering Remember WENN. It was AMC’s first original programming entry and it was so great! I, too, can’t believe they won’t allow DVD release. And they never mention it in their history. I don’t know what AMC has against this wonderful program.

Comment by skbell1 – September 10, 2013 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT AN ABSOLUTE JOKE!! “Low Winter Sun” has WORSE ratings than “The Killing”. This season was solid and garnered considerable buzz…whereas “Low Winter Sun” has had questionable reviews. I just don’t understand.

Comment by Laura – September 10, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Low Winter Sun is going to get cancelled as well, AMC is just waiting until the season is over.

Comment by johnhelvete – September 10, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really sad about this decision! Netflix needs to pick it up!!

Comment by Aimee – September 10, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted to watch this show, but AMC did not make the episodes for the entire season available on any On Demand service, so when I got behind, it was impossible to catch up. Lots of networks seem to be making that error lately.

Comment by Molly Harper – September 10, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :o(

Comment by DreamRose311 – September 10, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not pleased with this news. Not pleased at all.

Comment by Carter – September 10, 2013 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought they did such a good job of keeping that feeling from the original – didn’t try to dumb it down for Americans. Characters with flaws that felt like real people, interesting plots without too-simple answers. Damn.

Comment by Emma (@marsacademy) – September 10, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very disappointing news. I now have zero reason to watch AMC. :(

Comment by Linderella – September 10, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just another reaso to stop watching AMC.

Comment by Phyllis Bergst – September 10, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTH!!!! Season 3 was way better than 1 & 2. I need my Holder fix too, haha. Let’s hope Netflix will still be interested in picking it up for a 4th season. Come on Netflix!

Comment by Tab – September 10, 2013 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is why I hate shows ending on a cliffhanger, because you don’t know if they’re coming back. Now I will never know what happened to Linden. :-(

Comment by Vanka – September 10, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Netflix should pick it up for real this time! They left too much on a cliffhanger. How annoying.

Comment by Annoyed – September 10, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For those of you already missing Holder, look for him staring in the re-boot of RoboCop in Jan-Feb.

Comment by Ted Sutton – September 10, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just bites,there are so few good shows on and this was one of them,and it was just getting better.thumbs down to you for canceling.and no Linden would not have gone to prison.Holder would have fixed it to protect her.

Comment by kathy pruitt – September 10, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post