The CW Plants Seed in New Sitcom Effort

Seed_TheCwThe CW will play host to its first half-hour comedy since…. well, let’s try to forget that whole Media Rights Capital/Sunday night mishegas… by importing the Canadian series Seed.

From Joseph Raso (Zombies & Cheerleaders) and Mark Farrell (Corner Gas), Seed tells the story of Harry (Adam Korson), an underachieving bachelor/bartender who is also a sperm donor. Harry reluctantly begins a relationship with three separate recipient families – a laid-back lesbian couple with a 9-year-old son, a neurotically hopeful single mom-to-be and an uptight, upper-class family with a rebellious teenage daughter – with whom he’ll come to share more than just his DNA.

RELATED | Has Beauty and the Beast Cast Its First She-Beast?!

The CW president Mark Pedowitz said in July that the success of Whose Line is It Anyway? (which was renewed soon after its reboot) provided the network with “a strategic piece for comedy, and we will now examine whether or not we will do some sitcom development.”

RELATED | TV’s Latest Wizard of Oz Project, Dorothy Must Die, Lands at The CW

Seed, which debuted in February on Canada’s City and became the network’s highest rated original comedy series to date, will make its Stateside premiere on The CW later this TV season.

1. Roger Canada says:

Not sure if CW is the right place, but it’s a very funny good comedy !

2. Jason says:

It’s also been picked up for season #2 on it’s originating channel here in Canada!

3. mike10dude says:

I think that the new Harland Williams sitcom that city tv is making would of been a better fit on the CW

4. Not1ofYouPeople says:

I still wonder why CW never continued Heartland…

• James says:

The CW never actually acquired Heartland for national airing. Probably majority of its affiliates got the rights to air the show and put them at least an hour before regular CW prgramming at 8pm EST.

I read somewhere a cable network took over the show’s US license and have just started airing the show, I think the channel’s called UP-TV.

• Thanks for the info. I had been searching for airings and only saw references to the Canadian show where it originated. It aired here in Philly on Sunday mornings and I thought that was a great spot for this excellent series. Hope we see it again soon.

5. Jared says:

The CW neglected sitcoms or comedies in general for way too long. Happy to see them bringing it back with such a great series like Seed.

6. sundaymarie says:

This looks great. Maybe I’ll start watching the CW again.

7. Eric7740 says:

I believe the CW did at one time have a hit comedy (at least by CW standards) called “Reba” and they chose not to renew it!!!

8. Mick says:

I like this show! Once you get past the first couple of episodes. It gets good.

9. Mellie says:

Great show, very funny. Happy to see it’s getting some attention.

10. bill says:

I was a bit of a closet Reba fan myself. A great show, and glad that Whose Line is doing well for the CW….one of my all time faves.

11. carrionne says:

“share more than just his DNA” just how old IS this guy anyway?

12. Alex says:

Yet another stinker. Why don’t they ever import GOOD Canadian shows instead of the crap ones?

13. Whose Line is it Anyway wasn’t rebooted, it was renewed into something horrible with Aisha Tyler.

14. Coverdale says:

Seed is an absolutely awful show. That being said, I was so charmed by its awfulness that I had to keep watching all 13 episodes. Not hate-watching, however. I genuinely got a kick out of its…immaturity. It was like a Disney sitcom with adult themes thrown in. I never went in for the concept of the “guilty pleasure”…until this sitcom. If it could respond to this review, it would tell me proudly that it didn’t care what I thought. And I would respect it for that.