Once Upon a Time Sneak Peek: Robin Hood and Mulan Help Neal -- But Who's Gone Missing?

There’s a new Prince of Thieves in town as Once Upon a Time opens Season 3 — and he has his bow-and-arrow trained on (gulp) Neal/Baelfire.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Once and 44 Other Returning Faves

In the latest batch of pics from the ABC drama’s coming season, you meet the new Robin Hood aka Sean Maguire (Kröd Mändoon, EastEnders), who stands to play a role in helping Neal return to Emma, Rumple et al — wherever they now may be. As series cocreator Adam Horowitz shared during TVLine’s Fall Preview Q&A, “We pick up with Neal right where we left him, which is with Aurora, Mulan and Phillip. And he’s got a big problem, which is he is as far away from his family as he’s ever been.

“Last thing he knows, Tamara was shooting him in a cannery!” the EP continues. “So, how is he going to get back?”

VIDEO | Hot Promo: Once Upon a Time’s Emma Is Ready for a Fight — With Regina?

Also, in a previous run of photos shared here, you get a taste for trouble aboard the Jolly Roger — namely, because Emma is looking pretty soggy in her fretting folks’ arms, plus everyone except for Rumplestiltskin is at the railing, screaming for someone obviously lost in the drink. (As revealed in ABC’s synopsis for the Sept. 29 premiere, the ship’s crew is “greeted by a school of not-too-friendly mermaids.”)

Want more scoop on Once Upon a Time, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. courts says:

Too bad we can’t off Neal and keep Mulan and Robin Hood (though I assume he’ll be announced as a regular for the second part of the season.)
    Have to assume Gold is off with Felix when Emma “graceful as a” Swan gets tossed overboard.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

But you’ll still be tuning in, right, “courts”…?

• courts says:

If I’m back from my honeymoon. One bad actor won’t keep me away from Regina.

• CBWBDK1 says:

Have ever watched Terriers? I guess not otherwise you wouldn’t dare to call him a bad actor.

• courts says:

I have. He was fine on it, but outstripped by Donal Logue. He’s terrible on Once though.

• Starbuck21 says:

He was good on True Blood too. I don’t like Neal on OUAT very much so far, but I think the problem was the writing and if they make him a stronger character the actor will get better chances to show his skills like he has done on other shows.

• Joey says:

Sorry to hear there are still people spiteful about Neal. Too bad he’s sticking around for the foreseeable future. Nice for me since he’s by far the best character on the show.

• Lulu says:

He’s hardly the best character on the show. Rumple and Regina are 10 times more interesting

• Nathalie says:

I love Neal. He’s awesome. He’s a good father compare to Gold/Mr. Rumple. At least he wouldve died for his child/wife or gf. He loves them enough to fall into a portal.. That’s true love. He’s a good actor. I wouldn’t of pick another actor to play Neal. I love this dude.

• gdv says:

Seriously, you’re choosing Mulan over Neal?

2. David says:

So it was Phillip with Mulan and Aurora rushing to Neal on the beach. Last we saw Aurora and Mulan they were going to follow Cora’s reveal that a soul taken from a Rath can be recovered. I guess they succeeded, are we going to get to see any of that journey?

3. Elly says:

Neal was already announced as a series regular back in June. Love Neil, Mulan and Robin Hood are just more unneeded characters.

Ausiello, severely dissapointed with the endless adds now gracing your site. It’s really frustrating and way too many, kind of making it more of a hassle to get passed than what it’s worth.

4. How long do we have Mulan for?

5. Starbuck21 says:

I’m liking the look of the new Robin Hood. I usually don’t like recasts, but the idea grew on me. The costume is fantastic as always with OUAT and the actor looks the part. I only wish he had kept his hair longer. If anyone has seen pictures of him in Krod Mandoon, I thought that length suited him well.
    I hope Robin Hood makes his way to Storybrooke. I want to see him and the Sheriff of Nottingham together there and it would be nic to see him with some of the other OUAT characters too who are still there. And maybe with Regina too when she comes back. ;) Since many think they will very likely be love interests in the future.

6. Jay says:

Am I the only one who would like to see Pocahontas to appear on OUAT. Maybe it’ll happen in Season 5 if the show last that long and they run out of storylines. lol

7. E says:

Hmm…kind of looks like they are in Rumpelstiltskin’s old castle.

8. A.B. says:

Looks to me like Emma jumps off to probably get something from and possibly kill one of the evil mermaids with that knife that Hook is handing her.

9. Dizzle says:

I’m really excited for the new season, personally I enjoyed the Aurora-Mulan-Philip storyline by its end and I’m glad they’ll be back, with Robin Hood to boot! But is there any word on how much Storybrooke will feature in the first part of the season? I assume Neverland will be the “A” Story each week, so will we flip week-to-week between Neal & Co then Storybrooke? Or will we not see it until they all get back?

10. Oli says:

I’m sorry, but that’s not how you hold a bow. Nevertheless, I’ll be watching.

11. Amy says:

I think it’s funny that it took poor Rumps 300 plus years to get to our world, then Emma, Snow, Cora, Hook and (soon) Neal all did it in a fraction of the time. I’m really looking forward to the start of the new season, love the Robin Hood arc as well as Neverland. I wonder where Marian is? Did he lose her to death despite his best efforts or was she taken with the curse, that darn that price of magic gets them every time.

• Ollie Meyers says:

It took him that long….Because …at the time…..his magic didn’t work in our world and he couldn’t let it go. And it took a huge curse like Regina’s to get him in position to be able to bring magic there While looking for his son…lol huge speculation… but ultimately I’m guessing that because the seer told him all other ways would fail…AND his son went world hopping for a while.

12. Viv says:

Okay – just clip of him on an old show called Scott & Bailey — this guy is charming and funny and adorable. Me Likee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwchmB5ILjQ

13. Danielle says:

I love Neal! I don’t get the hate. I’m pro Emma/Neal all the way

• vickivale says:

Amen!!! I’ve seen people write on other posts that Neal didn’t fight for Emma so he doesn’t deserve her. The truth is that he did love her so much that he let her go so she fulfill her destiny. He wasn’t selfish by holding on to her. Selfishness is the opposite of love, so he really loves her. What can I say. I’m a hopeless romantic.

14. Danielle says:

Oh and I like Hook and all. But not with Emma. He already happily took Milah away from her son. I don’t want to see him try to take Henry’s mother away from him. And yes I know it was Milah’s choice. But he had no concern whatsoever over her abandoning her child. The only good thing is I dont think Emma would willingly do that. She didn’t have a choice really when she had him in jail so she wouldn’t do that I don’t think