TVLine Items: AHS: Coven Witches Revealed, 24 Fave Gains Intelligence and More!

Plenty of familiar faces populate the new teaser for American Horror Story: Coven — making it pretty clear who’ll be counted among the FX’s creepsterpiece’s witchy women — but a certain bovine one may be starring in your nightmares for the rest of the week.

The network has unveiled a new 30-second trailer titled “Initiation” and it looks like AHS vet Jessica Lange, along with newcomers Angela Bassett and Kathy Bates, will be Coven‘s chief cauldron-stirrers.

Evan Peters, Sarah Paulson, Gabourey Sidibe and more also pop up in the new campaign. AHS: Coven premieres October 9 at 10/9c.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

TVLine has learned that 24 alum Annie Wersching has landed a juicy guest-starring role on CBS’ midseason spy series Intelligence, playing a CIA analyst with a secret. The Josh Holloway-fronted drama debuts Feb. 24, 2014; Wersching appears in Episode 6.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on 45 Returning Faves

Reeve Carney (Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark), Rory Kinnear (Skyfall) and Harry Treadaway (The Lone Ranger) have joined the cast of Showtime’s upcoming psychological thriller Penny Dreadful. Carney will play Dorian Grey, while Treadaway will tackle the role of Dr. Victor Frankenstein. Kinnear’s mysterious character is one of haunting intensity.

ABC’s new soap Betrayal (premiering Sept. 29) has tapped D.B. Sweeney (Major Crimes, Touch, The Event) for a recurring role. Per The Hollywood Reporter, the actor will play Richard Goss, the ambitious, intense and formidable new director of the criminal division of the state attorney’s office.

Sundance will premiere the French zombie series The Returned on Halloween night, then unspool the remainder of the eight episodes every Thursday at 9/8c.

NBC Universal’s new Esquire cable channel will now replace Style instead of G4, effective April 22, 2014.

We TV has renewed its salon-set docu-series L.A. Hair for a 12-episode third season.

The Office alum Rainn Wilson shared via Twitter the trailer for his Backstrom drama pilot, which did not make the cut at CBS this season. Watch Dwight as a hard-living, tactless cop:

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. alison says:

So excited for AHS: Coven!

2. Sarah says:

Cant wait for AHS

3. Wish some more pilot sizzle reels would find their way out. Or, you know, just the whole pilot. I’d love to have seen NBC’s THE SIXTH GUN and BLOODLINE from this season, and I’ve always wanted to see FOX’s LOCKE & KEY from three or so years ago.

• johnhelvete says:

Would you be willing to pay $2 bucks to view a failed pilot online at Hulu or Netflix?

• GeekGirl13 says:

I would. I can recall (or else have a vivid imagination where this happened) when most pilots got aired, even if the shows themselves never made it. I loved that. And can think of several that I’ve read about here over the last few years, that I’d pay a buck or two to watch.

4. Evan says:

How creepy did Kathy Bates look?? Cant wait!!!

5. Andy says:

I have no problem with the fact that Backstrom didn’t make it to series. This trailer shows that Rainn Wilson can play more than Dwight though, and that’s nice to see. But watching the trailer, all I got from it was Detective House and Captain Allstate.

• wordsmith says:

You left out Detective Meryl Jr. – she at least bears mentioning.

• Alice says:

Yeah, I liked the reel- but honestly would probably not have picked up another procedural about an unorthodox, cranky cop and the female sidekick who helps soften his crusty shell. It’s been done to death. I wish Mamie Gummer would get on a better show.

6. Ray says:

Very excited for AHS: Coven, as well as Witches of East End. Can’t wait for the season of the witch to begin!

7. maltru says:

A) Can’t wait for AHS: Coven. B) I’m SO bummed that Backstrom wasn’t picked up! I watched the trailer, and it looked awesome. I would’ve watched the crap out of that show!

8. wordsmith says:

Yet another great AHS promo. This one definitely embodies the spirit of what we already know about the arc: Evan Peters and a lot of ladies.

9. johnhelvete says:

The biggest news of the day is The Returned coming to Sundance. Amazing series.

10. Lisa says:

Gonna be awesome!!! Can’t wait.. is the pig monster supposed to be this years rubber man ? and I love how they made it so you can’t see Emma Roberts face, just her hair. I think her character’s going to surprise some people

11. Jen says:

The AHS promo is so good. I can’t wait for this season!

12. Annie Wersching better have her own series sometime in the near future. Still sad that Renee Walker bit the dust on 24.

13. Sheldon W. says:

Backstrom – that was a drama pilot? No wonder it didn’t get picked up – it was too funny!

Seriously, though, I’d have watched it!