Exclusive

Scandal Exclusive: Private Practice Alum Paul Adelstein to Recur in Season 3

Scandal Paul AdelsteinPaul Adelstein has booked a return trip to Shondaland, with a plum role on ABC’s Scandal.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the Private Practice alum will recur during Season 3 of Shonda Rhimes’ buzzy D.C. drama in what is thus far (and of course) a secret role.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Scandal and 44 Other Returning Faves

Regardless, hopefully Adelstein’s character — who will first surface in late October — fares better than that of real-life wife Liza Weil, who played White House intern Amanda Tanner during Season 1.

RELATED | Fall TV: Get Details on the ‘Non-Stop’ Schedules for Scandal, Grey’s and Other ABC Shows

Scandal marks Adelstein’s first TV role since Private Practice wrapped its run in January. (Mother’s Day, a pilot in which he played husband to Debra Messing, did not make CBS’ 2013-14 schedule.) The actor’s previous TV credits also include Prison Break (Kellerman!) and Rob Thomas’ Cupid.

Scandal opens Season 3 on Thursday, Oct. 3.

Want more scoop on Scandal, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. DavidSask says:

Awesome and please have him take his shirt off love his fur!

2. Ang says:

This is the best news!

3. Lynn says:

Yes! I’ve been missing Private Practice like crazy lately so hopefully this will help.

Still blows my mind Cooper’s married to Paris and they have a daughter, tbh.

4. Maki says:

AWESOME now I have to squeeze Scandal in my TV schedule. and watch the whole show.

5. Eric7740 says:

Great news!!! Now lets get KaDee Strickland on Scandal!!! BTW, Paul being shirtless will go no complaints from me!!!

6. shuayb says:

Awesome awesome and more awesome. Now if Shonda can cast KaDee Strickland season 3 will be perfect and amazing. Scandal is nailing it with the casting I hope they bring it with the stories too….

7. Clayton says:

Oh, I just adore him. I hope he plays some sort of foil to Fitz. And if not, I’m just glad to have him back on my television. Season 3 of Scandal is really getting some cool actors lined up. I’m very eager for him and for Lisa Kudrow. Super stoked!

8. Walter says:

I imagine that he will be made a regular in season 4 and that KaDee Strickland will get the lead role in the next pilot that Shonda writes.

9. delfiteblu says:

He could be a gladiator!!!! Don’t let him be a bad guy; I’m just crazy about him. Not so much Lisa Kudrow. Can’t figure her anywhere except in the press pool.

10. abz says:

I liked him on PP, but to be honest I really wish it were Caterina Scorsone, Kadee Strickland, or Kate Walsh guest starring instead. They were my favorites from PP and I really miss the three of them. I don’t care where they show up, Grey’s or Scandal, I just really miss Amelia, Addy and Charlotte. I definitely think they should bring in Amelia to guest again on Grey’s. She’s the one PP character I think that can easily pop in and out of Grey’s from time to time without it being weird. Addy’s happy now so there’s no reason for her to go back, but they should at least have Amelia and Neve Campbell’s LIzzie return to see the new McBaby! Maybe add in Embeth Davidtz’s Nancy and the fourth unrevealed sister and we can have a full on Sheppard reunion. Would love to see how Meredith would handle that!

• Babygate says:

There isn’t a single thing I disagree with on this comment. I wish Amelia would take over for Derek and I wish Charlotte and Addison would pop in to Grey-Sloan sooner rather than later. These were my faves from PP. Charlotte was the only reason I came to like Cooper. To me, he was insufferable from the very first episode.

• abz says:

I feel exactly the same about Cooper. He was such an annoying character and really was at many times throughout the series, however, it was because of Charlotte that I opened up to him. Without her he was just very meh even in scenes with other characters. The only characters that really made PP great were Addison, Amelia, Charlotte and at times Violet. The rest of the characters were all just okay to me. Hopefully we can see Addison one last time in case the GA vets decide not to renew their contracts. I too wish Amelia would move to work at Grey-Sloan with her brother, however, from the way things ended on PP, all of them are really happy and sadly I doubt we’ll see any of them coming to Grey’s, just like we probably won’t ever see Izzie Stevens back either. It’s sad that we may never see any of these great characters again :(

11. Jessy says:

Shonda Rhimes should stop calling in her puppies!

12. Pam says:

YES! Great! Hope he doesn’t go back to his PB sociopathic ways! Keep him a good guy!

13. twilight123 says:

Cooper back on my TV! Cooper back on my TV! Cooper back on my TV! *doest the happy dance*

• twilight123 says:

And now all I need is KaDee Strickland to land a job, I miss her! She was absolutely wonderful as Charlotte. Actually, wonderful doesn’t begin to describe what an excellent job she did.

14. Fernanda says:

He had played a nice guy on Private but I never forget Kellerman’s character on Prison Break. I hope Shonda will give Paul an interesting character, a bad guy for instance

15. Jake says:

Love him! This is excellent news

16. GeekGirl13 says:

This news makes me so very happy. Of all the actors/actresses from Private Practice, I missed Adelstein the most!

17. Farva says:

Anyone else want him as his Prison Break alter ego in this. Season 2 Kellerman that is.

18. april-ann says:

He is HOT.

19. Leo says:

Yeeees! Great casting news.

20. Friend? Brother? of Jake (Scott Foley) remember he was thrown in the hole so if it’s recurring i say have him come in to find his friend or brother which ever deems fit and he starts working with OPA of course.

21. J says:

My dream since Private Practice has ended is to have KaDee Strickland on Scandal :P

22. Lisa says:

Okay first of all KaDee is pregnant, they’re probably not gonna put her on Scandal until after she has the baby. Secondly I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree Caterina should be on Greys. Third WOOHOO about Cooper. They stay CLEAR of Pete, Addison and Sam and we’re 5×5.

23. Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to more added agreeable from you!

By the way, how could we communicate?

24. I love looking through an article that will make people think.
    Also, thanks for permitting me to comment!