Fall TV Preview

Scandal Exclusive: Private Practice Alum Paul Adelstein to Recur in Season 3

Scandal Paul AdelsteinPaul Adelstein has booked a return trip to Shondaland, with a plum role on ABC’s Scandal.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the Private Practice alum will recur during Season 3 of Shonda Rhimes’ buzzy D.C. drama in what is thus far (and of course) a secret role.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Scandal and 44 Other Returning Faves

Regardless, hopefully Adelstein’s character — who will first surface in late October — fares better than that of real-life wife Liza Weil, who played White House intern Amanda Tanner during Season 1.

RELATED | Fall TV: Get Details on the ‘Non-Stop’ Schedules for Scandal, Grey’s and Other ABC Shows

Scandal marks Adelstein’s first TV role since Private Practice wrapped its run in January. (Mother’s Day, a pilot in which he played husband to Debra Messing, did not make CBS’ 2013-14 schedule.) The actor’s previous TV credits also include Prison Break (Kellerman!) and Rob Thomas’ Cupid.

Scandal opens Season 3 on Thursday, Oct. 3.

Want more scoop on Scandal, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (35)

• Awesome and please have him take his shirt off love his fur!

Comment by DavidSask – September 9, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He is so sexy!

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – September 9, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSS

Comment by J – September 9, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the best news!

Comment by Ang – September 9, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I’ve been missing Private Practice like crazy lately so hopefully this will help.

Still blows my mind Cooper’s married to Paris and they have a daughter, tbh.

Comment by Lynn – September 9, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me 2! (re: Cooper married Paris Geller)

Comment by twilight123 – September 9, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME now I have to squeeze Scandal in my TV schedule. and watch the whole show.

Comment by Maki – September 9, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’d better get busy! :) You have a LOT to catch up on. Why weren’t you watching in the first place??? (Just kidding) :)

Comment by delfiteblu – September 9, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For 7.99 a month you can get Netflix and catch up on all the episodes. The first month is free and you can even cancel after one month…

Comment by Gerry Coore – September 9, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hey u doing

Comment by Jeanette brown – September 9, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m in love with Elementary timeslot crash and Thursday is always so busy Greys,the comedies, Vd. I’ll check it out maybe during midseason and keep catching up if Paul stays.

Comment by Maki – September 9, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!!! Now lets get KaDee Strickland on Scandal!!! BTW, Paul being shirtless will go no complaints from me!!!

Comment by Eric7740 – September 9, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome awesome and more awesome. Now if Shonda can cast KaDee Strickland season 3 will be perfect and amazing. Scandal is nailing it with the casting I hope they bring it with the stories too….

Comment by shuayb – September 9, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, I just adore him. I hope he plays some sort of foil to Fitz. And if not, I’m just glad to have him back on my television. Season 3 of Scandal is really getting some cool actors lined up. I’m very eager for him and for Lisa Kudrow. Super stoked!

Comment by Clayton – September 9, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I imagine that he will be made a regular in season 4 and that KaDee Strickland will get the lead role in the next pilot that Shonda writes.

Comment by Walter – September 9, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He could be a gladiator!!!! Don’t let him be a bad guy; I’m just crazy about him. Not so much Lisa Kudrow. Can’t figure her anywhere except in the press pool.

Comment by delfiteblu – September 9, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked him on PP, but to be honest I really wish it were Caterina Scorsone, Kadee Strickland, or Kate Walsh guest starring instead. They were my favorites from PP and I really miss the three of them. I don’t care where they show up, Grey’s or Scandal, I just really miss Amelia, Addy and Charlotte. I definitely think they should bring in Amelia to guest again on Grey’s. She’s the one PP character I think that can easily pop in and out of Grey’s from time to time without it being weird. Addy’s happy now so there’s no reason for her to go back, but they should at least have Amelia and Neve Campbell’s LIzzie return to see the new McBaby! Maybe add in Embeth Davidtz’s Nancy and the fourth unrevealed sister and we can have a full on Sheppard reunion. Would love to see how Meredith would handle that!

Comment by abz – September 9, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There isn’t a single thing I disagree with on this comment. I wish Amelia would take over for Derek and I wish Charlotte and Addison would pop in to Grey-Sloan sooner rather than later. These were my faves from PP. Charlotte was the only reason I came to like Cooper. To me, he was insufferable from the very first episode.

Comment by Babygate – September 9, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I feel exactly the same about Cooper. He was such an annoying character and really was at many times throughout the series, however, it was because of Charlotte that I opened up to him. Without her he was just very meh even in scenes with other characters. The only characters that really made PP great were Addison, Amelia, Charlotte and at times Violet. The rest of the characters were all just okay to me. Hopefully we can see Addison one last time in case the GA vets decide not to renew their contracts. I too wish Amelia would move to work at Grey-Sloan with her brother, however, from the way things ended on PP, all of them are really happy and sadly I doubt we’ll see any of them coming to Grey’s, just like we probably won’t ever see Izzie Stevens back either. It’s sad that we may never see any of these great characters again :(

Comment by abz – September 9, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shonda Rhimes should stop calling in her puppies!

Comment by Jessy – September 9, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? Especially if the puppies deliver the goods…

Comment by TL – September 9, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! Great! Hope he doesn’t go back to his PB sociopathic ways! Keep him a good guy!

Comment by Pam – September 9, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cooper back on my TV! Cooper back on my TV! Cooper back on my TV! *doest the happy dance*

Comment by twilight123 – September 9, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And now all I need is KaDee Strickland to land a job, I miss her! She was absolutely wonderful as Charlotte. Actually, wonderful doesn’t begin to describe what an excellent job she did.

Comment by twilight123 – September 9, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He had played a nice guy on Private but I never forget Kellerman’s character on Prison Break. I hope Shonda will give Paul an interesting character, a bad guy for instance

Comment by Fernanda – September 9, 2013 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love him! This is excellent news

Comment by Jake – September 9, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This news makes me so very happy. Of all the actors/actresses from Private Practice, I missed Adelstein the most!

Comment by GeekGirl13 – September 9, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else want him as his Prison Break alter ego in this. Season 2 Kellerman that is.

Comment by Farva – September 9, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is HOT.

Comment by april-ann – September 9, 2013 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeeees! Great casting news.

Comment by Leo – September 9, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friend? Brother? of Jake (Scott Foley) remember he was thrown in the hole so if it’s recurring i say have him come in to find his friend or brother which ever deems fit and he starts working with OPA of course.

Comment by heather (@had1977) – September 9, 2013 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My dream since Private Practice has ended is to have KaDee Strickland on Scandal :P

Comment by J – September 9, 2013 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe it was suggested but the cast threatened a walk-out. KaDee Strickland would outshine ‘em all.

Comment by april-ann – September 10, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay first of all KaDee is pregnant, they’re probably not gonna put her on Scandal until after she has the baby. Secondly I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree Caterina should be on Greys. Third WOOHOO about Cooper. They stay CLEAR of Pete, Addison and Sam and we’re 5×5.

Comment by Lisa – September 10, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to more added agreeable from you!

By the way, how could we communicate?

Comment by อาหารเสริมลดน้ำหนัก – March 20, 2014 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post