Scoop: NBC Snags Katherine Heigl CIA Drama

Katherine Heigl New TV ShowKatherine Heigl‘s TV comeback has found a home.

NBC has acquired rights to a potential CIA-themed drama series produced by and starring the Grey’s Anatomy alum, TVLine has learned.

The untitled project, to be written by Alexi Hawley (The Following), finds Heigl playing a key CIA analyst whose job it is to debrief and strategize with the president on the most pressing global and national matters.  She balances this incredibly high stakes job and trusted relationship with her complicated personal life.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Grey’s Anatomy and 44 Other Returning Faves

Rodney Faraon, who has debriefed several U.S. presidents, will serve as an EP on the project.

“The story is not only compelling and intelligent but a look behind the curtain at the CIA we haven’t seen before in film or television,” Heigl said in a statement. “I am thrilled and honored to have been asked to be a part of developing these stories and this character and bringing it all to life. NBC has been a true partner in their passion and support for the show that we’ve dreamed of making and I could not be happier about joining forces with them. Together, with our brilliant writer Alexi Hawley, I believe we are going to make great television!”

1. Eric7740 says:

Yay!!! Love me some Katherine Heigl!!!

2. Patrick says:

It sounds like a CIA show but without the action. It is the West Wing, but only focusing on one of the CIC’s national security advisors. Lots of talking, no action. I don’t see this working.

• anawesomeweirdo says:

You can’t really judge the show based on a pitch. The west wing was probably pitched as “The white house staff dealing with issues”; it doesn’t sound interesting, but the end product was.

• johnhelvete says:

I think the pitch to the networks was probably Homeland+Scandal.

• Babygate says:

Maybe that’s the idea. Katie is not very convincing as an action star, as One for the Money and Killers proves. She’s better off playing a more cerebral character.

• Pumpkinbabies says:

One less blonde female lead with a gun the better. It’s time for women to be able to kick ass without shooting guns and beating people up.

• zaza says:

Curious…how does one kick someone’s ass without beating them up?

• Pumpkinbabies says:

You don’t watch too many dramas do you? Kicking ass isn’t all about beating people up. It’s about having a strong personality to withstand any type of adversity.

Look at the women of law and order SUV. Sure Olivia carries a gun but most of the time, she uses her intelligence and her compassion to save people’s lives.
          In fact, in the episode 911, she spent the entire episode trying to find this little girl. No gun, no beating people up.
          There’s also the female District attorneys.

So there should be more shows that teach girls that they don’t need to be a cop or a FBI agent to be considered a strong female.

• Whatevah says:

I imagine she’ll last about 6 months before she starts dissing the writers and complaining about the hours.

• Katherine says:

I think she handled that whole situation badly, but come on. Did anyone really like George and Izzie together? Or Izzie and DeadDenny? Those were terrible story lines.

• Whatevah says:

The point is, nobody else but Ms I’m too good for this show complained. Once she won that Emmy her ego blew to epic proportions. Actually I was glad she left. The show became Izzy Anatomy which bored me beyond belief.

• Ron says:

Are we talking about the same show? lol People complained all the time! There was constant behind the scenes drama on that show. Why do you think so many main characters die so frequently. lol

3. J says:

I’m excited. I’ve missed her on my television screen.

4. Crazy Days and Nights Fan says:

Good luck to the producers. You have maybe one good year before she starts to complain. Maybe.

5. tamy says:

god haters move on seriously! She made a mistake for grey’s she apologized even if she was right, hum sleeping with a dead man and saving a deer enough said

I’m glad she’s back on tv because I think she’s a great drama actress (like her in comedy too but in drama she’s at her best)

hope the casting will be great and wish her best of luck

• Gailkate says:

She really is excellent in the right role, and I’d hope for at least some lightness rather than all heavy drama. Tamy’s examples are totally spot-on about Heigl’s range. But new series can be clunkers – look what happened to poor Kim Raver when she split from Grey’s. I’m a little disappointed by the gushing PR prattle from Heigl about this show, but maybe she was too busy to write her own material.

• Jennifer says:

Not a hater. Some of us don’t like her because she is BORING as an actor. No range. If you’ve seen her in one movie you’ve pretty much seen her in anything she’s ever done. My opinion has nothing to do with her “mistakes”.

• Francine says:

The original poster isn’t referring to you though- just the people who keep bringing up her complaining on Greys. At least you have a reason for not liking her.

• jenferner8 says:

Ironically the reason I don’t watch Greys isn’t because of her it’s because I have literally fallen asleep. I tried in the very beginning but I was so bored I gave up.

• Gailkate says:

I think she took some absolutely airhead, vapid movies that made people forget just how good she was on Grey’s. She’s done every emotion asked of her with subtle nuances and no overacting. I’m embarrassed for her, given some of the schlock she did after TV. But maybe it was just a crummy agent, bad advice, who knows? What worries me about this show is another formulaic, badly written copycat.

6. Adam says:

Katherine Heigl saying POSITIVE things about the story of a project she is signed to? I don’t believe it!

7. JJM says:

Just waiting to hear that T.R. Knight has also been cast. Surely she’d wanna work with her best friend again.

8. Paula says:

Good news, I really like her in tv dramas.

9. Barbara Owens says:

sounds boring!!!!

10. cortezcy says:

They should add Chyler Leigh and all the Grey’s actors that were killed off! That’s Shonda way of getting rid of a character. Katherine just didn’t want a death scene :D

• Bryce Alexander says:

More main characters (series regulars) have left the show by leaving than by death.
      Just left SGH: Burke, Addison, Hahn, Izzie, Altman
      Died: George, Mark, Lexie
      Yet people complain and complain and complain? It’s ridiculous. Look at those numbers. Washington’s Burke used hate words on set and Shonda not only let the character live, but she gave him a Harper Avery. Addison got a happy ending. Altman is successful, being a Chief of Surgery and whatnot. Who knows about Hahn and Izzie, but the point is that they’re still alive.
      She’s not Hitler guys.

• twilight123 says:

THANK YOU!

• Justin says:

-Denny
        -George
        -Shooting massacare
        -Denny look-a-like (Henry?)
        -Lexie
        -Sloan

Yeah, lively departures outweigh major deaths *sarcasm*.

• tas says:

The OP was talking about MAIN characters, regulars. Denny was a guest star, and a sick patient at that, same with Henry. Percy and the red head who were killed of in the shooting here not unpopular support characters, not regulars. More regulars have simple left than have died. That was the point.

• Justin says:

No. The “OP” (original poster?) mentioned “all the Grey’s actors that were killed off!! That’s Shonda way of getting rid of a character”, to which I echoed. Go around it any way you want, but general consensus nowadays is that Grey’s rids of its characters, original or not, by killing them in some grand fashion.

11. WingsStef says:

Hmm, could this show have a somewhat different gimmick to most police/government like shows? Time will tell. Intrigued enough to catch a look.

12. Blake says:

Her character sounds very “Olivia Pope”-esque lol

• Chely says:

Blake,

I don’t agree with your comment. Olivia Pope is a fixer, she gets a problem finds the reason, then the solution, while Heigl’s character is that of simply stating the facts… she has no say in policy, or advises the president. Also, we don’t yet know what her character will be like, but I don’t see anyone doing anything Oliva Pope-esque nearly as good as Kerry Washington.

• johnhelvete says:

“She balances this incredibly high stakes job and trusted relationship with her complicated personal life.” That quote from the article is probably why Blake used the term “Olivia Pope esque”

13. Julz says:

Good for her!
    Sounds interesting. I’ll definitely be on board to check it out.

14. Don’t let NBC and Katherine Heigl down.

15. Mika says:

It’s no wonder she’s coming back to television. Her last movie where she attempted to portray a bounty hunter with the worst accent nearly made her unemployable.

16. N says:

Love Katie Heigl!

17. DavidSask says:

What an original plot, NOT! No one wanted Katherine back and am sure ratings on TV will be same as her movies!

18. D says:

I’d love to see a return to Roswell mini but she’s too big for that now

19. Liz says:

Don’t like her.

20. Rob says:

Mark my words: she’s sleeping with the president.

21. Cherry says:

I can see it being just like Scandal. Although it’s a shame that it’s not more of an action role, Heigl would suit action very well.

• Pumpkinbabies says:

Why does she need to do an action role? How many blonde cops are there already? Frankly, I’m through with Olivia Dunham- type leads anyway.

22. carrionne says:

I’m sorry. I just can’t get too excited about another show like this. I’ll get back to you after we get a trailer

23. Clayton says:

Well, it’s certainly no Greys Return, but I’m sure this will suit her just fine. It’s an interesting genre to have on NBC right now. I’m trying to figure out what they would want to align it with. Maybe after Law & Order? Or if the Chicago PD does good? TV is a tough market to break into these days. We had so many pilots last year and only so few of them returned this year. Regardless of Katherine Heigl’s reputation, they could have any other actress in the starring role and this concept might still be hard to sell long-term.

24. shuayb says:

I’m so over Hiegl Haters. She is a great actress. She did what she did and its over now. She was not the only one at fault…
    I love her because from the roswell crew she is the only one still doing something. She’s is movies, the news and now a plum role that can do well especially if its slotted with The Blacklist…

• Ace says:

I have to admit I agree and I have missed her. I stopped watching Grey’s at the point Denny died and her character was wallowing around, leaving a multi-million dollar check stuck to the fridge and then sleeping with George. The whole thing was just off. It will be great to have her back on tv.

25. mandy says:

Yeah, I have to say I miss her, AND TR Knight. TV writers often mess with a character’s storyline in a weird way to create drama (looking at you CSI, grrrr), even though fans know better. And fans often better appreciate certain characters and the actors who created them. I’m looking forward to having Heigl back on my small screen. And hoping that Sandra Oh finds a new place as well; both great actresses.

26. jenferner8 says:

Well, hell, NBC, give me one more reason to not watch the network!

27. Linderella says:

Can’t wait! Have missed Katherine Heigl on weekly TV!

28. Amy says:

Covert Affairs on USA is the best CIA show out there on network or cable. Last season (it’s 3rd) was it’s best and most intense, and this season hasn’t disappointed either. No need to wait for KH’s new show when there’s a great one you’re already missing!

29. Lisbeth says:

lol she’s back on tv …

lol

lol

lol

ho

she’s not bankable for movies …

Now she begs on TV

HAHA

30. Sidney.B says:

suck it haters, Heigl is back and she’s gonna grab all the Emmys,
    When will your fave tbh ?

31. cae says:

My thing with her is the fact she bashes every show she’s been a regular on. She was on Roswell that basically opened the door for her in a lot ways and she bashed the writing. She goes to Grey’s that opens even more doors for her and she does it again.now i know a lot of the stories were iffy but you keep those opinions behind closed doors you don’t Publically bite the hand that feeds you because you feel a certain way

32. Shawn says:

Alexi Hawley as a writer on this project is an AWESOME thing! He was one of my absolute fav writers on Castle! I was heartbroken when he left Castle at the end of Season 4! So glad he’s going to be working with Katherine! She’s a wonderful actress and I love anything dealing with cops, CIA, FBI, DEA, etc! Those are the best shows on tv, imo! Can never have too many procedurals out there!

33. JB says:

Maybe she can give the real White House some advice on Syria? :)

34. tvetc says:

hope it gets cancelled, she deserves it

35. Fido says:

You had me until “…her complicated personal life.”. So does this mean she’s still living in her parents home with an overbearing mother who wants to hook her up with her bridge partners doctor-son so she can give her babies, and a drunk father who is going a bit dotty. And will the first ep see our heroine in a tense meeting with heads of state, trying to prevent a major catastrophe and right at the crucial moment her phone will ring and we hear her mom leave a “can you please pick up some milk and cookies on your way home” voice message. Oh puleeeze. :(

36. jrhdkh says:

Sounds like covert affairs without the action…Never miss Covert Affairs..Great Show…Heigl show won’t match up…

37. joe says:

Looking for a smart show about the CIA…Watch Covert Affairs…Heigl quit a great show…couldn’t make it in the movies..now back to TV…your 15 minutes may be up….

• Gailkate says:

I watch covert Affairs, too, but Piper Perabo can’t hold a candle to Heigl. Her 2 facial expressions are the bright smile and the worried puppy. She does worried puppy even with a straight face – pay attention and you’ll see.

38. bill says:

could not hack it in the movies with no talent go back to tv which she left to start(ha ha ha) a movie carer.

39. bach2112 says:

Who is this skanky looking woman?

40. Lisa says:

I remember seeing Katherine in the Love comes softly saga with Dale Midkiff I enjoyed watching her in that I was not a big Grey’s anatomy fan.