TVLine's Performer of the Week: Bill Hader

Bill Hader Franco RoastA weekly feature in which we spotlight shining stars

THE PERFORMER | Bill Hader

THE SHOW | The Comedy Central Roast of James Franco

THE AIRDATE | Sept. 2, 2013

THE PERFORMANCE | You’ve got to admire Bill Hader’s commitment and originality. During Comedy Central’s Roast of James Franco, the former Saturday Night Live standout tapped into those impressive Studio 8H skills and broke from the rest of the comic pack by coming out dressed as a character. In a clever turn, Hader addressed the audience and razzed the other guests as the President of Hollywood, a ’70s-esque old-timer in a tracksuit who’s the overlord of the entertainment industry.

Never breaking his tough talking, straight-shooter persona (complete with exaggerated deep voice and borderline disgusted stare), Hader had us laughing with his sharp jabs.

“You’re welcome. In no other place but Hollywood, could these 10 people make the kind of money they make and sleep with the kind of people they sleep with,” he started.

And the hits kept on coming:

On Seth Rogen’s movie The Guilt Trip: “If I wanted to watch two ugly Jews weaving through traffic, I’d watch Seinfeld’s web series.” (Points for sorta obscurity!)

On Aziz Ansari’s range: “You’re like the Daniel Day-Lewis of only doing one thing.”

And to Jeff Ross: “Like Enterprise Rental Car on Christmas Day, I do not have a vehicle for you.”

With every pithy “You’re welcome,” we just wanted to say, “Thank you,” for the hilarious bit.

RELATED | Lady Gaga Returning to Saturday Night Live as Musical Guest… and Host?

Luther Season 3HONORABLE MENTION | Idris Elba and Ruth Wilson for bringing Luther‘s alternately suspenseful and terrifying third season to a spectacularly satisfying conclusion. Yes, we, too, were bummed that Wilson’s killer vamp sat out Episodes 1-3, but, man, series creator Neil Cross managed to pack a whole season’s worth of memorable John/Alice moments into Friday’s fourth and final installment — and Elba and Wilson delivered on Every. One. Of. Them. From Alice’s covert introduction (we knew it was her!), to their hilarious/sexy catch-up session at her pad, to their swoon-sational reunion on the bridge in the hour’s closing minutes, both actors exhibited the kind of effortless, schmaltz-free chemistry most TV couples would kill for. They left us wanting more. — and more we better get. (We’re talking to you Cross/Elba/Wilson/BBC; make it happen!).

What performance knocked your socks off this week?

Tags:

Comments (20)

• Loved every second of it. The guy is amazing.

Comment by Lili – September 7, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree completely. He was absolutely the highlight of the roast and the TV week for me too. I love that he didn’t leave himself unscathed. “Speaking of 140 characters nobody gives a $hi+ about, Bill Hader is here.” The Jeff Ross slam was undoubtedly the best though. “Jeff Ross…hi…we’ve never met. I’m Hollywood…”

Comment by JLK – September 7, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cracked up so hard at his Dave Franco joke. He definitely was the highlight of the roast.

Comment by Amanda – September 7, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dave Franco was in tears, and I was to. He stole that roast. Overal great roast though

Comment by Lizzie – September 7, 2013 11:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Bill Hader I’m gonna miss him on Snl, but I know he’s sure to continue to turn up bigggg!!

Comment by Bren – September 7, 2013 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Miscellaneous Ramblings From An Old Curmudgeon .

Comment by doc1952hudson – September 7, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He was hilarious! The best of the bunch. And his reactions and laughter when others were roasting were great too.

Comment by Diane – September 7, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, TV Line! *raises the gospel hand*

Comment by Winnie – September 7, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Right on! It’s great to see Hader getting out there and doing jazz, and MAN he was hilarious. He looked like he was having a blast the whole time, and he nailed it.

Comment by MuppetMolly – September 7, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bill Hader is my all time favorite SNLactor!! And I like a lot of them! I will really miss him on it. He is so versatile and hilarious! I hope they put this on YouTube, since I didn’t see the roast.

Comment by G-Mom – September 7, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Funny cops – you’re always pushing the envelope, Andy!”

Comment by Lili – September 7, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TTA! Bill Hader was hysterical. And agree with the honorable mention. Just finished a 4 hour mini marathon. Idris and Ruth’s chemistry is off the charts. Would love to see more, but I think Idris is getting to expensive and too busy for BBC.

Comment by Mel – September 7, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bruce Campbell on burn notice. He was awesome this week!

Comment by Gail – September 7, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love him! ‘Seth Rogen, you’re welcome. I put your face on a movie poster and said ‘Deal with it’. And then I put Barbara Streissand next to you and the world said ‘No’.

Comment by Fran Wes – September 8, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually loved the entire roast. It wasn’t always funny BUT you could really see the chemistry between the people-that they genuinely like and support each other. I found that pretty touching actually…Dave and grandma were the best though. I’d love to be part of that family!

Comment by Kate'shomesick – September 8, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it should’ve gone to Kaitlin Olson. She was fantastic on the season premiere of It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Comment by Ralph Hartman – September 8, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I laughed much more at Andy’s ridiculousness

Comment by jaym3z33 (@jaym3z33) – September 9, 2013 01:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without Hader, the show would have been mediocre, at best.

Comment by Bob – September 9, 2013 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am
    impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part :
    ) I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info
    for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

Comment by confinement of dogs 955 22 orcn there are no bad dogs 93105 dirty dogs 92130 hot dogs 90034 rescue dogs 911 motor city hit dogs 9u rockford big dogs 9u las vegas hot dogs 99 cents dogpile dogs 94107 dogs 8 weeks why dogs 80s costume hot dogs 80112 revolut – November 27, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post