Fall TV Preview

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland Exclusive: Keith David to Voice Cheshire Cat

Once Upon a Time Wonderland Cheshire CatWell, this is purrrrfect.

ABC’s Once Upon a Time in Wonderland has called upon a very cool cat and voice work veteran, Keith David, to voice its Cheshire Cat.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Once Upon a Time and 44 Other Returning Faves

Alice’s feline foil will first “appear” (or, you know, not) in the premiere episode of the Once spin-off’s freshman season.

Elsewhere “behind the scenes,” John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun) voices Wonderland’s White Rabbit, while The Who’s Roger Daltrey is reprising his Once role as the hookah smoking Caterpillar.

In addition to David’s on-camera work on TV series (such as the upcoming Fox comedy Enlisted, The Cape and ER) and on the big screen, his extensive voiceover resume includes the Saints Row and Marvel’s Heroes videogames, narrating History’s The Bible miniseries and Community‘s “Pillows and Blankets” episode, and the animated series Gargoyles and Spawn.

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 99 Season and Series Premiere Dates

Wonderland premieres Thursday, Oct. 10 at 8/7c.

Comments (24)

• Oh that sounds fun. I wasn’t really sold on John Lithgow as the White Rabbit. Something about the CGI and his voice just didn’t gel for me but I can definitely see Keith as the Cheshire Cat

Comment by courts – September 5, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But but but Lithgow has an amazingly cartoonish voice. Haven’t you seen him on 3rd Rock??

Comment by Will – September 5, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • His voice work was great in Shrek too. I haven’t seen any previews yet, but I wonder how the CGI is going to look for the White Rabbit and Cheshire Cat. Once doesn’t have the best CGI and their use of green screen is terribly obvious. I know it’s a tv show with a tv show budget, but still.

Comment by Mikael – September 6, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good choice, but always figured the cat would be British

Comment by Tom – September 5, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a fantastic choice! Love the idea of a Cheshire Cat with a rich voice and such a great, hearty laugh.

Comment by wordsmith – September 5, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For goodness’s sake, if you’re going to mention Keith David’s prior voice work, don’t leave out his strongest credit — the voice of Goliath on the Disney-produced series Gargoyles, which ranks among the very best animated series of all time.

Comment by John C. Bunnell – September 5, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OK. Added.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 5, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed.

Comment by TVFan – September 5, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Personally I know him more from the Mass Effect series and Halo series then Saints Row

Comment by anakinjmt – September 5, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, he has a multitude of VO credits at this website that serves as an “Internet database” of actor roles :) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0202966/

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 5, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I feel bad that is all u know him from.

Comment by Mike R. – September 5, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Kindly reread the comment above: it says “I know him more from X than from Y”, not “I only know him from X and Y”

Comment by wordsmith – September 5, 2013 08:17 PM PDT
    • he was pretty great in they live

Comment by jake – September 7, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This isn’t the first time David voiced a cat. He also voiced the unnamed cat in Coraline.

Comment by Jason Breslin (@jasonbres) – September 5, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favourite of Mr. David’s is Dr. Facillier in Princess and the Frog.

Comment by Chris (@chrisfitzner) – September 5, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought at one time Paul Reubens was supposed to be the voice of the cat. Did he drop out?

Comment by TV Fan – September 5, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought he was going to be the white rabbit. I think he’s working on a Pee Wee Herman movie (please be true!), so maybe he is tied up with that.

Comment by Zach – September 5, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did I miss the confirmation that Roger Daltrey was coming back as caterpillar? He was the best part of the original Wonderland ep.

Comment by Hera – September 5, 2013 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • his one line? you didnt like the mad hatter>?

Comment by jake – September 7, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’ll always be Captain Anderson for me… :) but I’m excited for this. I can’t wait for this show.

Comment by Alex H – September 5, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not to mention he was Spawn in the animated HBO show

Comment by Tom – September 6, 2013 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah yeah baby!

Comment by ishthemish – September 7, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I can only imagine the Cheshire Cat uttering some of his lines from “Requiem for a Dream.” Which is deeply disturbing in ways both wrong and right.

“I know it’s pretty, Alice …”

Comment by Julio – September 8, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could listen to that man’s voice ALL DAY LONG!! He’s fantastic. My favorite voice work of his is “Gargoyles.” Too bad I have no plans of watching this “OUAT” spin-off. Oh well. lol.

Comment by grey – September 10, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post