Exclusive

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland Exclusive: Keith David to Voice Cheshire Cat

Once Upon a Time Wonderland Cheshire CatWell, this is purrrrfect.

ABC’s Once Upon a Time in Wonderland has called upon a very cool cat and voice work veteran, Keith David, to voice its Cheshire Cat.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Once Upon a Time and 44 Other Returning Faves

Alice’s feline foil will first “appear” (or, you know, not) in the premiere episode of the Once spin-off’s freshman season.

Elsewhere “behind the scenes,” John Lithgow (3rd Rock from the Sun) voices Wonderland’s White Rabbit, while The Who’s Roger Daltrey is reprising his Once role as the hookah smoking Caterpillar.

In addition to David’s on-camera work on TV series (such as the upcoming Fox comedy Enlisted, The Cape and ER) and on the big screen, his extensive voiceover resume includes the Saints Row and Marvel’s Heroes videogames, narrating History’s The Bible miniseries and Community‘s “Pillows and Blankets” episode, and the animated series Gargoyles and Spawn.

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 99 Season and Series Premiere Dates

Wonderland premieres Thursday, Oct. 10 at 8/7c.

1. courts says:

Oh that sounds fun. I wasn’t really sold on John Lithgow as the White Rabbit. Something about the CGI and his voice just didn’t gel for me but I can definitely see Keith as the Cheshire Cat

• Will says:

But but but Lithgow has an amazingly cartoonish voice. Haven’t you seen him on 3rd Rock??

• Mikael says:

His voice work was great in Shrek too. I haven’t seen any previews yet, but I wonder how the CGI is going to look for the White Rabbit and Cheshire Cat. Once doesn’t have the best CGI and their use of green screen is terribly obvious. I know it’s a tv show with a tv show budget, but still.

2. Tom says:

Good choice, but always figured the cat would be British

3. wordsmith says:

What a fantastic choice! Love the idea of a Cheshire Cat with a rich voice and such a great, hearty laugh.

4. For goodness’s sake, if you’re going to mention Keith David’s prior voice work, don’t leave out his strongest credit — the voice of Goliath on the Disney-produced series Gargoyles, which ranks among the very best animated series of all time.

5. This isn’t the first time David voiced a cat. He also voiced the unnamed cat in Coraline.

6. My favourite of Mr. David’s is Dr. Facillier in Princess and the Frog.

7. TV Fan says:

I thought at one time Paul Reubens was supposed to be the voice of the cat. Did he drop out?

• Zach says:

I thought he was going to be the white rabbit. I think he’s working on a Pee Wee Herman movie (please be true!), so maybe he is tied up with that.

8. Hera says:

Did I miss the confirmation that Roger Daltrey was coming back as caterpillar? He was the best part of the original Wonderland ep.

9. Alex H says:

He’ll always be Captain Anderson for me… :) but I’m excited for this. I can’t wait for this show.

10. Tom says:

Not to mention he was Spawn in the animated HBO show

11. ishthemish says:

Ah yeah baby!

12. Julio says:

Now I can only imagine the Cheshire Cat uttering some of his lines from “Requiem for a Dream.” Which is deeply disturbing in ways both wrong and right.

“I know it’s pretty, Alice …”

13. grey says:

I could listen to that man’s voice ALL DAY LONG!! He’s fantastic. My favorite voice work of his is “Gargoyles.” Too bad I have no plans of watching this “OUAT” spin-off. Oh well. lol.