Fall TV Preview

Arrow Targets Spartacus Alumna as Infamous DC Comics Villain Amanda Waller

Cynthia Addai-Robinson ArrowArrow has found yet another foe for Oliver Queen.

Spartacus vet Cynthia Addai-Robinson has landed the pivotal role of DC Comics baddie Amanda Waller, TVGuide.com reports.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Arrow, Plus 44 Other Returning Favorites

In Arrow‘s iteration, Waller is employed by A.R.G.U.S., a clandestine agency that has a mysterious agenda and possesses key information about the Arrow.

Addai-Robinson — who plays a character previously brought to life by the likes of Angela Bassett, CCH Pounder and Pam Grier — will arrive on the scene in Episode 6, not long after the Episode 2 introduction of fellow Suicide Squad member Bronze Tiger (Spawn’s Michael Jai White).

RELATED | Arrow Scoop: Breakout Killing Star Commits to ‘Sin’-ful Season 2 Arc

Fun fact: On Spartacus, Addai-Robinson played the love interest of Arrow regular Manu Bennett’s character, Crixus. Any on-camera reunion would be unlikely, though, since Slade Wilson thus far has been confined to island flashbacks.

Arrow launches its second season on Wednesday, Oct. 9 at 8/7c.

Comments (42)

• Ha! Crixus (Manu as Slade) is reunited with his Navia. Nice casting.

Comment by Nicole – September 4, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • EXACTLY what I thought as soon as I saw it. SO excited.

Comment by Hmm – September 4, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought of that, too, just as I read the headline. Navia was as much a badass as Crixis.

One thing the Arrow producers are doing really well is the casting of strong actors from other genre series in the supporting, recurring, and guest roles. It is setting them apart from many of the other currently airing series in really positive ways.

Comment by theschnauzers – September 4, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re taking their sweet time casting Barry Allen, though. Would be sweet if they got Michael Rosenbaum.

Comment by Nicole – September 4, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gratitude!

Comment by Wrstlgirl – September 4, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AHHHHH! CYNTHIA! Is Slade going to be alive in the present? Because I would love scenes between him and Amanda. It would have a fun Ben Browder/Claudia Black in Stargate SG-1 kind of feel.

Comment by courts – September 4, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great another fail casting. Rail thin young actress playing Waller… What is wrong with these people. At least they didn’t whitewash Waller like they did with the Chinese comic character.

Comment by Grant – September 4, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You obviously didn’t watch Spartacus. That girl is BUILT!

Comment by Daisy – September 4, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Grant’s point is that Amanda Waller is traditionally sort of dumpy and middle-aged, which this actress certainly is not. Personally, I’m neither surprised nor offended by the choice though.

Comment by wordsmith – September 4, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They’re following DC Comics’ New 52 Amanda Waller. She’s younger and more fit than Amanda Waller from the Justice League animated series and pre New 52. Also, Waller’s not a villain although she has “questionable” actions. And I think the character Grant’s referring to is Shado…

Comment by sladewilson – September 4, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I wouldn’t classify Waller as a villain, but she usually qualifies at least as an “antagonist” when she appears.

Comment by wordsmith – September 4, 2013 05:51 PM PDT
    • Which character was supposed to be Chinese?

Comment by wordsmith – September 4, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think Grant was referring to China White, who is played by Kelly Hu…who is Chinese…

So yeah, not sure what he’s complaining about.

Comment by person – September 4, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, looks like an Arrow “fan” scrambling to find something to complain about. TURN THE DIAL.

Comment by Danyelle – September 4, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think he’s actually referring to Shado who is pure Japanese in the comics, but they got a woman of mixed asian/white descent to play her on Arrow

Comment by Adam – September 4, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think they’re talking about the casting of Sin.

Comment by AC – September 4, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh, yes – that’s right, I forgot about that announcement. Sin was a little Asian kid in Birds of Prey, so I suppose that is technically whitewashing.
          Still, it’s less important that Sin be Asian and more that she be local to wherever Canary is doing her training, so until we see how they’re doing that storyline we can’t really judge.

Comment by wordsmith – September 4, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The current version of Amanda Waller in the comics IS rail thing. This casting looks pretty spot onl

Comment by Jason Castleman (@lethargicj) – September 4, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Spartacus.

Comment by Daisy – September 4, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SOOOOO MUCHHHH!!!! Loved that show! I’m with ya sister.

Comment by TL – September 4, 2013 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A.R.G.U.S. sounds a bit like S.H.I.E.L.D. to me, though nowhere near as catchy of an acronym.

Comment by Austin T. – September 4, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • they essentially are. they are a fairly new organisation in the comics and they havent exactly been portrayed in a positive light ever since they debuted. they are essentially the new checkmate in the dc universe.

Comment by Alan – September 5, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could be good, but is she not a bit young??

Comment by Martin – September 4, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was hoping for Regina King. Oh well.

Comment by DL – September 4, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Regina King would’ve been good!

Comment by LaurenTVEA (@LaurenTVEA) – September 4, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I remember Cynthia best from her 2-second wordless cameo in the most recent Star Trek movie. I have to assume there was some sort of a deleted scene that explains why they basically just used her as an extra in a crowd scene.

Comment by wordsmith – September 4, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought that was Man of Steel?

Comment by angela – September 4, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, definitely Star Trek – she’s on a sidewalk in San Francisco watching as the USS Vengeance crash lands into the city. You can even see pretty much her entire performance in the trailer for the movie.

Comment by wordsmith – September 4, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow… Okay. Not your typical Amanda Waller, but I guess they could be trying to make her more of a contemporary of Oliver’s. In the comics, he’s older too. It would have been interesting to see someone a little less CW-glam though.

Comment by Drew – September 4, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here is a picture of what Amanda Waller looks like in the comics. (In the box on the left.)

This costume looks pretty spot on to me.

Comment by Jason Castleman (@lethargicj) – September 4, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOO!!! I was so happy when she died on Spartacus! I was hoping i would never she her face again! This is terrible news!

Comment by CBWBDK1 – September 4, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no problem with this casting. This is pretty much how she looks in the “New 52″ DC Comic Universe anyway. My only complaint is a total nerd complaint and it is the headline to this story. I would hardly call Amanda Waller an “Infamous DC Comics Villain”. She has always been a government agent. She’s tough as nails and can be a witch, but she’s not a villain. She just is sometimes at odds with the heroes and sometimes on their side, depending on what the government’s stance is in a particular situation.

Comment by Adam – September 4, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t see her as ‘The Wall’ in the same physical way that others have portrayed the character, but Addai-Robinson can definitely hit that as a supremley confident, determined, brook-no-BS, attitudinal kind of character.

I’m definitely looking forward to seeing how she does in the role.

Comment by Sheldon W. – September 4, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kewl.

Comment by ishthemish – September 5, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t read much of the New 52, so I didn’t know that Amanda Waller was now portrayed as thin and young. I really liked Pam Grier’s casting on Smallville. She did a great job on a less-than-stellar show. With Arrow’s better writing, she could’ve been an even better Amanda.

Comment by Mikael – September 5, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pam Grier was a fantastic Amanda Waller, given how Smallville wrote her. We’ll see how the new woman fares as Amanda.

Comment by lll – November 13, 2013 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great they are going with the new 52 version, the sexed up for no apparent reason version. i miss the character that could justifiably be called “the wall”, it was great to see someone who didnt look exactly like every other woman in comics.

Comment by Alan – September 5, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post