Production on One Life to Live Is Suspended Indefinitely — What About All My Children?

One Life to Live Stops ProductionSoap fans fond of hanging out in Llanview will have to wait a while for their next visit.

Prospect Park has decided to suspend production on One Life to Live until a lawsuit between the production company and ABC, the now-online soap’s former TV home, is resolved.

In the meantime, Prospect Park will focus on a second season of the revamped — and more popular, at least online —  All My Children. According to the Los Angeles Times, which first reported the story, AMC writers are working on Season 2 scripts now.

RELATEDAMC and OLTL Stars on What’s New — and Improved — About the Resurrected Dramas

After OLTL‘s TV sign-off but before its web debut earlier this year, several of the daytime drama’s characters migrated to ABC’s General Hospital. During that time, two of them — Cole and Hope Thornhart — were killed in a car accident. The Prospect Park suit alleges that the characters were temporarily on loan to ABC (so that the actors could keep working), and that the network sabotaged the online endeavor by playing Grim Reaper.

The lawsuit is the latest in a series of unexpected challenges plaguing both soaps’ inaugural online seasons. First, claiming that viewers were overwhelmed, Prospect Park cut the weekly installments from four to two per series… which earned fans’ ire, anyway. Then, both shows went on hiatus earlier than planned due to a (now resolved) labor dispute.

Both dramas recently wrapped their first online seasons. Prospect Park boss Jeff Kwatinez tells the Times production on a new bunch of AMC episodes will begin this month.

Comments (60)

• Yeah, because people NEVER come back from the dead on soaps.

Comment by dude – September 3, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just about to say the same thing. That doesn’t sound like a problem at all…

Comment by Dave – September 3, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my first initial thought as well abc just wants something to complain (for lack of a better term) about……..
      cole and hopes bodies were never found so write a story line bringing them back

Comment by Dorothy Jane Bazer-Ratliff – September 26, 2013 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought that they were going to bring back Cole and Hope when a misteriouse person showed up where the accident occurred at that same spot were the accident happened, a year later after Starr was saying goodbye to Cole and Hope.

Comment by Jack Brush – December 17, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What I find more frustrating in addition to the show being done are the unanswered questions that were left, I suppose we’ll never know for certain.

Comment by Anthony – December 17, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • DONT CANCEL ALL MY CHILDREN AND ONE LIFE TO LIVE AGAIN BECAUSE IT IS GREAT SOAP OPERAS AND ALOT OF FANS LOVE THERE SOAPS AND BRINING IT TO OWN TV WAS A GREAT IDEA AND 50000000000FANS LOVE THE IDEA AND DONT WANT THEM CANCELLED AGAIN AND JEFF AND RON BRING ONE LIFE TO LIVE AND ALL MY CHILDREN BACK FULL ON BOARD AND THANK YOU AGAIN RON AND JEFF FOR SAVING OUR SOAP OPERAS AGAIN RON AND JEFF JOHN AND HOWARD CAYLOR AND FANS

Comment by JOHN AND HOWARD CAYLOR – October 1, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • RON AND JEFF AND JEN PEPPER MAN IS THERE ANY WAY THAT YOU CAN BRING BACK REBECCA BUDIG AND WALT WILLEY AND MICHAEL E KNIGHT THEY ARE GREAT TO ALL MY CHILDREN AND 500000000000000000FANS WANT THEM BACKBRING THEM BACK TO THE SHOW PLEASE JEFF RON ANDJEN PEPPERMAN JOHN AND HOWARD CAYLOR AND FANS

Comment by JOHN AND HOWARD CAYLOR – October 1, 2013 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They don’t want to bring people back from the dead anymore on the new versions of All My Children or One Life to Live because there taking after the primetime shows when people are dead they are dead for good

Comment by Michael Aaron Pate – October 16, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, characters die and come back to life all the time on soap operas. What’s the problem?

Comment by Lynn – September 3, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jen Pepperman The Executive Producer of One Life To Live said that she wants the new version of the to be more rooted in reality and doesn’t like bringing back characters from the dead.

All My Children said the same thing but they still bought back Billy Clyde Tuggle.

Comment by Julia – September 3, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But isn’t the whole point of soap operas that they aren’t rooted in reality? They’re supposed to be an escape for people, right?

Comment by Jess – September 3, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, They are but soaps have tended to do reality based stories: Cancer, HIV/AIDS, Abortion, Rape, Drugs, Alcoholism, etc,.

Comment by Julia – September 3, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • absolutely well said

Comment by Dorothy Jane Bazer-Ratliff – September 26, 2013 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Was Billy Clyde ever dead? I think he and Tad both were blown up on a bridge and then a few years later Tad was Ted Orsini living in Napa Valley and it was assumed that Billy Clyde was dead. I may have the storyline incorrect, but I don’t think it was ever “confirmed” that Billy Clyde was dead (ie: like Jesse was really dead…until he came back after living with another wife and his new daughter).

Comment by dan – September 3, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes. He was confirmed dead. Trevor told Dixie and family that Billy died of a broken neck. There was even a scene at his grave site with Emily Ann after she id’ed the body in the morgue. Only on a soap.

Comment by daboys1215 – September 10, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • it wouldn’t be a soap if they didnt bring them back

Comment by Crystal – September 20, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But didn’t One Life To Live bring Victor back from the dead?

Comment by Jack Brush – December 17, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!! More AMC!!! Thank goodness!!! The season finale had me all excited yesterday!!! I need to know when the new episodes are going to air!!!

Comment by Eric7740 – September 3, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am trying to find out whether AMC will be on in the fall. The episodes which have been on OWN this summer were great. I am a faithful AMC. Started watching at the very beginning. (1970)Please tell me they will be back on OWN this fall. And, my KUDOS to OWN for picking the All My Children up and putting them back on the air, where the belong.

Comment by Sandy Cook – September 19, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem is money of course it has nothing to do with a law suit LBR here OLTL just didn’t have as many hits as AMC.

Comment by Katy – September 3, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It comes down to the fact that PP wants to blame ABC for taking the highest popularity characters. Well maybe PP shouldn’t have loaned them to them in the first place then and should’ve focused on getting the show off the ground. Now it has become clear that they are relying on the lawsuit going in their favor so that they can fund the OLTL relaunch. I’ll be honest…I’ve watched both reboots via Hulu plus. I find myself checking out AMC weekly. On the other hand I’ve not stayed as up to date on OLTL. Is it because vital characters are missing? Yes! They had me hooked when Trevor St. John returned. Why couldn’t they keep him around? Starr? Recasts happen all the time! Cole and Hope? Characters come back from the dead on soaps all the time! They could fix OLTL if they really wanted to. Seems to me they aren’t as invested in fixing it.

Comment by Lp – September 3, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is no surprise. I don’t think either show will ever return. AMC was supposed to have been shooting episodes for Season 2 a few weeks ago.

Comment by EJ – September 3, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Julia Barr/Brooke English said in The TOLN Radio Podcast that AMC should start shooting sometime this month.

Comment by Julia – September 3, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good. OLTL was a shell of it’s former self. I would rather keep the good memories of it then see it limp along in pain.

Comment by TL – September 3, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only way these shows can be saved is if Oprah produces them herself in Chicago.

Comment by EJ – September 3, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He wasn’t dead.

Comment by Ellen Gustafson – September 3, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s already made it clear that she’s not prepared to take on the production costs, so that’s not an option.

Comment by TV Gord – September 4, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god, the saga continues. If OLTL really needs the (unimportant) characters of Cole and Hope, they can recast and say they never really died. This whole debacle is such a turn off. I’ll stick with GH while it lasts on tv.

Comment by Jen – September 3, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prospect Park is either lying again, or is incredibly poorly run. Oprah, please bail out at least AMC!

Comment by Ellen Gustafson – September 3, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMC has been a decent show the past couple of weeks (I gave up watching online and only watch on OWN). I hope Season 2 is successful (assuming it really returns). I haven’t watched OLTL so I can’t comment, but I feel bad for the fans, actors and crew members.

Comment by dan – September 3, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we get Todd Manning back on GH then since OLTL is dead? I hate RH as Franco… ewwww.

Comment by Tonya – September 3, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WORD…and John McBain. And then, Kristen Alderson just off the show period. Starr or Kiki.

Comment by TL – September 3, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No!!! There is not ennough Kristen on the show!! Keep her as Kiki though. That character has been much more interesting. Morgan needs an Ava Jerome bullet though!!!

Silas should have an affair with Sam and then be revealed to be Caleb!!!

And Yes Todd Manning should return! This trying to say Franco was a serial killer because he had a brain tumor is kind of distasteful and redeeming his character is the worst decision ever made on the show!!Not to mention the disrespect to James Franco who created the character to sort of be him as an performance art!! THat was the whole reason he was named Franco!! It would have been better to recast him as Jason with amnesia and facially reconstucted by Faison!

Comment by JAson – September 3, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Clearly, we are NOT watching the same show. Things are plugging along nicely and then BAM Kiki and Michael hit the screen and drag the whole show down. LOL.

Comment by TL – September 3, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was absolutely upset and saddened when all three OLTL characters were erased(removed) from GH, they made it interesting and now, not anymore. I stopped watching GH back in may, Howarth as Franco, are you kidding me? Anyway, I don’t see how this can keep going on as both parties are to blame.

Comment by Anthony – October 1, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes Todd Manning needs to be back to port charles now that oltl is gone

Comment by Tony – November 12, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not only am I heartbroken but also irate at the same time as I hate when things never get resolved and now we’ll have to wonder what happened. The finale left a bad taste for me: The ending was true cliffhanger, Todd and Victor probably were killed off screen and the entire town besieged by this mysterious organization. I miss having my OLTL guys on GH and by having them as different characters completely killed the show. I’ll never accept RH as Franco, nor ME as Silas Clay nor KA as Kiki. Really? Since the latest axe job I’m pretty much done with daytime, nothing else compares to the once great OLTL. Good going PP & ABC. Oh well.

Comment by Anthony – November 12, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Freakin’ ridiculous. I watched OLTL and AMC from the time they began in 1968 and ’70, respectively. For most of that time, I liked OLTL and its characters better, and thought it was a better show. I bought the OLTL revival on iTunes first, eventually AMC, too. But I still like OLTL better and am outraged at this news–on top of my outrage about the mess with the Todd/Starr/John characters on GH and the one-hour-per-week release. Yes, nothing matters to the corporate world more than money. It’s a crying shame they don’t care half as much about their viewers.

Comment by Strachan Pindar – September 3, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s properly for the best, the writing has been atrocious and no offense, prospect park should of went forward right away….and it’s not the first time a soap had rewritten history. AMC def had the better balance if the two

Comment by lizz – September 3, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ANy chance Olivia Jerome will return! Is the actress still alive?

Comment by JAson – September 3, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the characters were so importance to PP they shouldn’t have loaned them out to GH in the first place and once they did and then decided to go ahead with the show, they should have written them off as a loss or done what Knots Landing did after Dallas’ infamous “Dream” season. Gary and Val named one of their twins after Bobby because he died. When Dallas brought him back to life after the dream wiped out the entire season, KL decided to no longer follow or interact with Dallas and Bobby remained dead in their world.

PP could have just went on with their plans without worrying or interfering with what GH was doing with the characters. They could have brought back their versions of Todd, Starr and John, and let GH have theirs. Soap fans suspend disbelief all the time would it have been so bad to have two different versions of these characters on two different soaps? PP just seemed to get it in their head that by bringing the characters back they would get the actors too. once again it seems the only people losing out with all this are the fans.

Comment by sg – September 3, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just bring them back to TV otherwise it just isn’t real or worth the effort to find it and watch it.

Comment by David – September 3, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, maybe I’m wrong but all the BS with making GH change Starr, John and Todd into new characters should have absolutely nothing to do with OLTL anymore. OLTL can recast those characters and continue with their storyline. Because technically Starr, John and Todd never existed in Port Charles…. It’s a soap opera, they change stories, characters, etc to suit their purposes all the time.

Comment by Jenn – September 3, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer. Hopefully everything is resolved soon. OLTL deserves to live on. A great first season back and looking forward to many more.

Comment by The Pit – September 4, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When amc and oltl came back on hulu i watched both. With the exception of Opal knew none of the characters where oltl had most of the same characters. Hope and Cole had minor parts in the show and their story line had not been much before canceled as Cole was in prison. Hope they bring this back. Victoria’s character has won more daytime awards than anyone.

Comment by Connie – September 27, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This doesn’t make any sense to me. First off, when GH killed Cole and Hope, the bodies were never found — and it is a soap. If they think bringing them back is unrealistic, what’s done is done (although there’s a current OLTL story that would explain everything nicely if they were kidnapped instead of dead).

Beyond that, what does that have to do with suspending production? Is winning a lawsuit against ABC going to undo the characters’ (offscreen) deaths? No. So why should it hold things up? Something’s fishy.

Comment by Laney – September 5, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why can’t people just let it be? Let the fans be happy, you have $$$$$ money in your pockets no doubt, why be greedy?
    Get rid of Leslie Miller would be better!

Comment by Patricia – September 5, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is PP’s way of dumping the soap that sucke,and putting more money into the AMC revamp!

Comment by Andy Drost – September 6, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please bring back AMC. What is the deal?

Comment by Laura – September 13, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • soaps always bring back the dead…Billy Clyde is back, …doesnt anybody know that David can revive everybody with his advanced medical skills???? Bring back Myrtle Fargate!!!! lol

Comment by jeff – September 16, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so irratatted there never was seasons on these soaps I am so sick I am about to stop watching give em back to ABC and let them air them on their web page why wouldn’t they have done that in the first place either you want us to watch them or not and it seems to me you really don’t care this is gonna make a whole lot of ppl quit watching so over it

Comment by Crystal – September 20, 2013 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First — thank-you for bring back OLTL and AMC. Second — please do not give up on OLTL. The TOLN redo of OLTL is really good! Save the money spent on lawyers — spend it on awesome writers that will make it all come together. Again, thank-you for keep ing these American Treasures alive.

Comment by Alyssa – September 26, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • to prospect park since cole and hope are rightfully yours bring them back just because thier car went off the cliff means didly in soap world i always enjoy the characters that are presumed dead coming back

Comment by Dorothy Jane Bazer-Ratliff – September 26, 2013 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMC and OLTL are waaaaay better story lines than GH!!!!!! Please please bring OLTL back and bring John, Todd, Starr, Cole, and Hope (originals) back!!! Those people who had Victor all those months couldve held Cole and Hope capitive too, remember there never were any bodies to bury. And besides we TRUE soap fans dont care how our favorites come back , just that they do!!!! Mmmmmm…. need we forget Dixie Martin-??? How many times has that poor soul died and come back to us???? Glad shes back!!

Comment by Sonya – October 14, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hate the fact that Roger Howarth has been cast as the nutjob Franco, he’s so
      not that character; I’d love to see them all come back but that’ll never happen. Also, I
      hope that OLTL does return as I can’t stand cliffhangers that end up without being resolved. The fact that Cole & Hope’s bodies weren’t found was another frustrating item as we’ll never who was following Starr and Michael back in Port Charles; so many unanswered questions.

Comment by Anthony – October 14, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any idea when the season 2 episodes will start showing on HULU or anywhere else? Anxious.

Comment by Linda Ma – October 20, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I spent several months getting a new computer, catching up on all the past season just too find out it was all for nothing, now that’s not fare. I have been a fan for over 45-50 years please bring them back to the fans, we will watch them, PLEASE let me know the new season2 will start soon.

Comment by Georgina McKnight – December 5, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not gonna happen both AMC and OLTL are done, period; I’m very upset and saddened by it still. Already, some of the actors from AMC have moved on, not sure about OLTL though. I was excited to see the 2nd season and this happened, we’re left with more questions once again.

Comment by Anthony – December 5, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the heck? If the shows were so popular once again; why get rid if them again? Enough with the talk shows already just bring them both back.

Comment by bluejeanscrafts – January 21, 2014 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hate too, they brought them back only to get dropped…again; the idea of these unanswered cliffhangers are ridiculous. Either way, some of the actors from both shows have moved on as different characters, I think it sucks but at least they still have jobs. Plus, I don’t think Roger Howarth wouldn’t be to keen on reprising his former character as well as the other OLTL refugees.

Comment by Anthony – January 21, 2014 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post