Exclusive: Fox Eyes Drama Based on Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware Series of Books

Get More: News

alex delaware seriesAlex Delaware is ready for his close-up.

Fox has placed a script order for an “adrenaline-packed mystery series” based on bestselling author Jonathan Kellerman’s books featuring the crime-solving psychologist, who joins forces with a closeted gay LAPD detective.

The project, from Jerry Bruckheimer’s Warner Bros.-based shingle, will be penned by former CSI: NY showrunner Pam Veasey.

RELATED | Veronica Mars Creator Bringing Les Miz to Small Screen

Kellerman-e1330008799656Alex Delaware was first introduced in Kellerman’s 1985 novel When the Bough Breaks. To date, the character appears in 27 of the author’s books.

Bruckheimer, Veasey and Kellerman will serve as EPs alongside Jonathan Littman. KristieAnne Reed is a Co-EP.

Comments (20)

• I wonder what’s taken them so long.

Comment by Aleksa – August 29, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds interesting.

Comment by Leigh – August 29, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahhh this sounds like a gay version of Castle!

Comment by xx – August 29, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No one remembers the TV movie of When The Bough Breaks from 1986 with Ted Danson?

Comment by johnhelvete – August 29, 2013 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do! I always wondered why no one has looked at this as a series. I have to say that I’ve always pictured Milo as Richard Masur since then. Ted Danson as Alex — not so much.

Comment by Amy H – September 1, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do! I’ve always pictured Richard Masur as Milo since then. Ted Danson – not so much as Alex. Hope they do it justice.

Comment by Amy H – September 1, 2013 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They will make the gay character straight. Just watch it happen. It’s network TV, particularly FOX, he will end up being straight.

Comment by Theo – August 29, 2013 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • More likely (than making him straight) is that they’ll make Milo good-looking. Every book explicitly describes him as paunchy, graying and pockmarked. Bet the series makes him much younger and much hotter.

That doesn’t mean I don’t want to watch the show, of course. I love the books.

Comment by Martoukian – August 29, 2013 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I always pictured Dennis Farina in the role of Milo, sadly that is not to be. I think I’ll just stick with the books.

Comment by Kate – August 30, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • How about another Dennis – Franz?

Comment by Bouncy Castle, UK – September 3, 2013 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My mom and I had both pictured Oliver Platt as Milo. I’d think he’s probably too old for the character now.

Comment by Aleksa – August 30, 2013 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um…have you seen “Glee,” also on Fox? Even the straight characters are gay.

Comment by Trip – August 30, 2013 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This premise sounds great! Very interesting.

Comment by Cherry – August 30, 2013 02:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love these books, so I’ll be eagerly awaiting to see the series. I hope they manage to find people who can pull off all the character like Alex, Milo, Robin and even Rick. I wonder if they’ll be using the books for storylines or having different, new cases.

Comment by Nikki – August 30, 2013 03:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Milo is not a closeted gay cop…he is openly gay and shunned by other cops but has a boyfriend, Rick who is a doctor. Guess the best news is if King and Maxwell is not renewed, Jon Tenney can be the new Alex Delaware.

Comment by Ethel – August 30, 2013 03:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was about to say the same thing about Milo. He isn’t closeted. Also, I agree, they do not to make him too good-looking. I never really cared that much about the Alex character but I like Milo.

Comment by Jane – August 30, 2013 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jon Tenney would be a GREAT choice as Alex. I love love love these books, so I pray Fox doesn’t screw up Kellerman’s vision. I am really looking forward to checking this series out!

Comment by Kathleen – August 31, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited for this!!! The books are fantastic.

Comment by Nikki – August 30, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes this is long overdue!

Comment by JanLee – August 30, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember the TV movie, and even bought a film 20-pack so I could own it. I’m not sure if he’s closeted in the early novels, but he’s definately out since I started reading the series. Any chance it could be amended

Comment by charlie – August 30, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post