Glee's Naya Rivera Confirms: Demi Lovato's Character Will Romance Santana in Season 5

blog_glee_combo_8.27.13Brittany who?

Demi Lovato’s new Glee character will forge more than just a friendship with Naya Rivera’s Santana this fall.

“She’s playing my love interest,” Rivera tells People.com, adding, “I’m very, very excited about it.”

VIDEO | First Glee Season 5 Trailer Accentuates the Positive

As first reported by TVLine, the X Factor judge is set to appear in at least six episodes of Glee as Dani, a NYC-based struggling artist pal of Rachel and Santana’s.

RELATED | Heather Morris and 3 Other Glee Stars Not Returning as Regulars

Lovato will debut in this season’s second episode, airing Oct. 3.

Thoughts? Is Santana trading up or down?

1. kate says:

i’m so excited to see Demi and Naya together, but i’ll miss brittana :(

2. Concerned says:

This actually sounds really fun! Glad they’re giving Naya more to do. Wonder if we’ll see an actual kiss at some point from them.

3. Greg says:

Can they move Glee to Showtime or Netflix for their scenes?

4. Hoyt says:

yeah, yeah whatever… Less NY, more Glee choir club!

5. Alex says:

Can’t wait to see Demi!

6. Claire says:

My enthusiasm is tempered a little because I don’t really know anything about Demi Lovato as an actress. Hopefully the writers will give her an actual character to play so it doesn’t just feel like “Hey, Demi Lovato is romancing Santana!” (though I can already here the voice over in the commercials).

• Sarah says:

I haven’t seen her in much, but I do remember her being pretty good as a guest actress on Grey’s Anatomy. Hopefully Glee will give her a decent character to play!

7. Elyse says:

I can’t wait! I love Demi.

8. I’ve stopped watching Glee after season 2, but I’m willing to go back for this. Love the news!

9. Tom Charles says:

I don’t know about Santana trading either way, but Brittany traded down with trouty mouth

• Claire says:

Please don’t interpret a small reference to Brittany and Santana as a chance to insult Sam. I didn’t like what they did with Brittany last season, but constantly slamming him just opens the door to remarks about “crazy, petty Brittana fans”.

10. Guest says:

Would it be too much to ask for a Santana-Dani-Rachel 3 way at some point during this season? It might be the thing Glee needs to revitalize itself. Plus, It wouldn’t matter what Finn thinks ;)

11. Jared says:

I LOVE both Demi and Naya so to hear that there characters will be together makes me excited for the upcoming season of Glee.

12. Gypsy says:

Interesting couple. It will be exciting to see what happens. I loved Demi at “Sonny with a chance”, and Santana is awesome. Whatever happens Brittana is endgame.

13. Alex says:

I might actually start watching Glee again. Santana was my favorite “back in the day” and Demi Lovato is pure awesome, so their scenes together can’t possibly be too awful.

14. Babygate says:

Demi is a phenomenal actress. I gained much respect for her when she appeared on Greys Anatomy as a patient with mental problems. And she was always funny on Sonny with a Chance. But I don’t know if I’m ready to see her as Santana’s love interest. Then again, they probably won’t even kiss so… And as far as whether Santana is trading up or down, all I can say is: Brittany who???

15. Ian says:

God knows I love Santana, and regardless of the stunt crap this show pulls instead of putting any real care back into Glee, I can actually see Naya and Demi being amazing together. My mind is blown they may have something good on their hands again.

But can I request more Kurt and Rachel news please? I need for Kurt to have more going on this season than a nemesis and Blaine Blaine Blaine Blaine Blaine.

• Angela says:

I can actually see Naya and Demi being amazing together

As can I. That’s not a bad casting choice at all! Interested to see how that storyline plays out.

16. Austin says:

Another gay character? I think they have way too many already.

17. L says:

I guess it will depend on Naya’s and Demi’s chemistry together to answer the better couple question. What made Brittana, imo, was the chemistry between the actresses. So, if the chemistry is good, them it could be interesting. Nice to see forward movement though, life always goes on.

18. Mark says:

Santana is my absolute favorite character. I adore her. Not happy that she’ll be with Demi who I can barely tolerate. Surely, Santana could do so much better.

19. David4 says:

Gays are everywhere! No wonder why everyone is so Glee fun! haha