CSI's George Eads to Miss Several Episodes, Including No. 300, After On-Set Clash With Writer

George Eads Leaving CSIOriginal CSI cast member George Eads has taken a leave of absence from the CBS crime drama, following an on-set altercation with a writer.

RELATED | CSI Exclusive: Marg Helgenberger Set to Return for Landmark 300th Episode

Per The Hollywood Reporter, the actor will appear in the first three episodes of Season 14, then Nick Stokes will disappear for an assignment in Quantico, as will be explained by Catherine when Marg Helgenberger returns for the series’ 300th episode (airing Oct. 23).

“George Eads will not appear in several episodes during the first half of the season,” reads a statement from CBS Television Studios. “We look forward to him returning to CSI very soon.”

According to THR, Eads recently clashed with the eight-months-pregnant co-writer of the episode he was shooting, arguing about Stokes’ storyline. After word of the encounter got to show boss Carol Mendelsohn, Eads was called on the carpet, where he threatened to quit. Instead, he walked away with a leave of absence.

RELATED | CSI to Host Cheers Reunion During Season 14

Eads and castmate Jorja Fox famously were fired from CSI back in 2004, after calling in sick for the first day of shooting Season 5, as a salary renegotiation tactic. That standoff lasted less than two weeks.

CSI opens its new season on Wednesday, Sept. 25.

1. TJ says:

you mean 200?

• Nick C says:

were you there? Do you know exactly what happened? For all we know he had a good reason. Also I read people make comments like this and i don’t understand it. True actors make great money but they make so much more for studio if it’s a hit show.

• Nick C says:

*for a studio…

• Popeye says:

No reason for anyone to get into altercation with an 8-month pregnant woman. only douche bags do that.

• Jen says:

Oh please. I’m a woman and I certainly wouldn’t want to be described as “8-months pregnant” if I decide to continue to go to work at that time. She obviously believes she can do her job while pregnant, so the fact that she is should have nothing to do with anything. The fact that it’s included in this article is ridiculous.

• Meredith says:

I totally agree with you regarding the writer’s professional competence, but I have to say that I think there is a difference between starting a fight with me now, not pregnant, and starting a fight with me when I was eight months pregnant. I could physically defend myself now if I had to, for one thing. I can’t describe the nature of the fight between these two, but even if we strip away all the gender expectations that frame pregnant women as delicate flowers that need to be protected, I think the writer’s pregnancy is a significant detail in this scene.

• cas says:

I agree. All they did was argue. What a pregnant writer isn’t wrong? I doubt that. It was an argument over how to portray his character and he should have a say.

• S. says:

@cas How on Earth do you know? You’re assuming you have the slightest clue about what it was over. How do you know he didn’t push her? Maybe she was concerned he WOULD become violent. You can have a disagreement with a pregnant woman without it becoming this so obviously he overstepped somehow. Acting like it’s offensive to refer to her pregnant status is ridiculous. Yelling at a woman who’s 8 months pregnant absolutely IS relevant. Most people don’t do that. It’s rather sickening to read the comments on the EW thread where I first read this. Someone said they better not side with the writer or else, basically. If you’re so attached to an actor that they could do something like this and your first reaction is to assume she had it coming or it’s not his fault and if he’s punished (for a situation you WERE NOT present for) you’ll quit watching the show as some viewers have threatened, you need to check it. Are you Team Breezy? Wouldn’t be shocked.

• S. says:

I started responding to cas and then branched out. I hate that you can’t do paragraphs on these threads. It makes me look like a raving loon when it’s actually a response to people up above and a collective “you” that is defending him. Actor gets involved in confrontation with a writer, showrunner becomes involved, actor gets upset with showrunner, actor loses. That’s what happens. Happened with Charlie Sheen essentially. He just skipped straight to being mad at Chuck Lorre, but guess where that goes if you hold course. People are getting protective of their actor and blowing off the writers of CSI. It’s really bizarre. Eads isn’t a super star and even if he was he wouldn’t get to rule the roost like some do on a movie. Maybe what he needs is anger management.

• Coopurdue says:

I agree! Why would being 8months pregnant have any bearing on this? Perhaps he was irritated about what she was doing to is character. Hey folks – Eads is a huge part of CSI’s success…they should be glad he settled for a loa. If he leaves – so do tons of viewers!

• Howard Abunaftulah says:

No reason for a hormone saturated 8-month pregnant episode writer to be working! I was there and the irrational woman went off her rocker!
          Eads unfortunately has that past incident of playing hardball for the unfair practices by network producers back then. Now he is cast as the evil one in this scenario by two man-hating women flexing their female muscles. A powerful woman who plays a man’s role always act like bad men. If you only knew the power ploys and tactics played bysuch ego-maniacal TV executives it is disgusting. Add to that the female collusion here (producer Carol Mendleson and the unamed preg writer)and it just stinks of underhanded power politics in the high pressure TV network ctthroat world. Nuf sed…

• ML says:

Because pregnant women can’t be wrong and so for 10 months (because a pregnancy is actually 10 months and not 9) no one can disagree with her? Please, if she goes to work then she has a responsibility to be just as professional as anyone else. If she can’t handle it, then it’s time to be on maternity leave. Pregnancy is not an excuse for everyone else to cater to your every whim and wish.

• Len says:

I agree. Probably not for the reasons you mean though.

Actors are hired to do a job. They shouldn’t be arguing about what their character should or should not do. It’s their job to act, like the employer tells them to act.

If they don’t likeot, they can quit. But arguing and demanding about it? No.

Just like any employee in any job given a task. Do the job assigned, or offer your resignation. Most workers don’t (nor should) have the ability to argue about the tasks assigned. If they do, it better be with the boss and not a co-worker.

• SN says:

Amen to this! Totally agree with you!

• Lou says:

I don’t understand a lot of these comments assuming George Eads would be like Charlie Sheen or have any kind of violent actions. My take on this was he disagreed with changes for his character. Nick Stokes has always been an integral part of the team; kind, sensitive, honest and not hard to look at! Seriously, maybe he “owns” his character and doesn’t want the changes proposed. This whole thing should have been handled so much better.

As for being 8 months pregnant, been there twice and, while it should not have been listed in the article (to build sympathy for her?) I was a lot bitchier then than usual.

I just want George back and the show moving forward.

• lavinia trull says:

HE NEEDS TO BE ON THE SHOW. I LIVED IN KILLEEN JUST DOWN THE ROAD FROM BELTON WHERE GEORGES FATHER WAS DA. IT THRILLED ME TO HECK WHEN I SAW THAT WAS GEORGES DAD. WAS A NEIGHBOR SO TO SPEAK

• John says:

That’s maybe too much ignoring the creative dynamic as long time portrayers get invested in their characters. All due deference to Alfred Hitchcock… (“cattle”)

2. jo says:

It’s pretty pathetic to throw a fit over the storyline on a show that doesn’t have a storyline.

3. GuestHere says:

No matter what George does, its always brought up about his absence/missing roll call nearly a decade ago. The man has been loyal to CSI from the beginning–and a pregnant writer–can we all say “HORMONES”!!! George should’ve fought for his character–bless him!

• JC says:

Hormones? Really? I feel sorry for all of the women in your life.

• J says:

I am a woman and yes hormones!!!! When I was 8 mos pregnant my hormones were raging and I was unreasonable.

• Sandi deckinger says:

From my reading, the writer and actor had a disagreement. It could have ended there . However, there was an outside intervention which caused the leave of absence.

• Carolyn says:

I have found that people who are unreasonable from raging hormones or too much alcohol are usually unreasonable frequently and excuse it as acceptable behaviour.

• Zoe says:

Yes, blame it on the women. Women are always the real problem. /sarcasm

• DL says:

Hormones might fluctuate at any given point during the day, but we’re talking about a script here. One she got to sit, work on, rewrite, and edit over time. So whatever the sticking point was in the script that Eads objected to, you can’t blame it on the writer having “hormones.”

• JCK says:

Not to mention that what his character would or would not do is up to the writer, not the actor. Letting the actor dictate his character’s path is like letting the painter you hired pick the colors for your home. it’s the writer’s baby, not George’s.

• Drew says:

After a certain number of years, I would hope that the writers would respect the actor’s opinions on a character. After all, the actor has spent much more time with that character than the writer.

4. ajintexas says:

Why does it matter that the writer is pregnant? Is that supposed to make him look bad or something for arguing with a pregnant woman?

• liz says:

I wondered why that detail was included as well. Seems rather irrelevant.

• c0rinne says:

Exactly what I was wondering. Unless he has an issue with women who are pregnant (and I think he and his wife are or have had a kid) why would this matter?

• lauren says:

Welcome to the new world of workplace liability. If he was coming at her pretty hot and caused her any measurable amount of physical duress in an atmosphere where she shouldn’t reasonable expect any, CBS is exposed. And even more so if they left him in her vicinity, and things then escalated, even verbally. A total CYA measure. Proves they leveraged him to cool off.

• BB says:

Totally speculative – what duress ?? Come on, this is one of the best shows on TV and Eads is a huge part of the show. All other shows do not live up to their promises. This show entertains –every episode is fun to watch.

• Simon Jester says:

@BB – Yeah, Eads is a huge part of the show… but if it weren’t for the writers, he’d be standing in front of the camera with his d*** in his hand. If the show is entertaining, it’s due to their efforts as well as the actors.

• Lara says:

The comment said “IF he was coming at her….” Can’t you read English? And quite frankly I agree with it. There is a potential liability at stake if something was to happen with an 8 months pregnant woman. But the guy was probably just out of line and is now suffering the consequences.

• julia says:

lol, I was wondering that as well. They physically describe her but there is no mention of his male pattern baldness or short stature issues. :0

• Zoe says:

Or maybe it’s the opposite? Maybe the fact that the woman is pregnant is supposed to instill some sort of blame on her? …Yeah, I agree with everyone else, the pregnancy detail is irrelevant.

• lll says:

Thank you for saying that. What the hell does that have to do with the argument? Making him look bad was the exact reason TVLine brought it up. It’s like they already chose a side. We don’t know what happened, and that unncessary information skews the audience to think one way.

• JLK says:

I’ve read a few articles on this now trying to see if anyone had given details about the argument beyond some vague statement about character development. They all mention that the writer was very pregnant. It’s not just TVLine.

5. mandy says:

I’m surprised he’s lasted this long. The original characters and their storylines have been revamped in the last few years to fit the ‘new’ CSI. Okay, I’ll state the obvious: since Petersen left the show has gone downhill. They’ve killed their unique 10 year relationship arc that was GSR, and the show has ventured into more personal storylines that overshadow the crime stories. Danson is good; but not that good. The show needs to end.

• shi says:

Totally agree, I love CSI since the beginning but IT isn’t the same CSI that I used to love.. We miss Warick, we miss Grissom, we miss catherine… these characters were central in the history of csi, since they started to leave the show’s storyline started to go downhill, was just a show with “people” that we used to know but they just weren’t the same… Well, unless that’s how I feel

6. Don’t know which CSI character is more annoying in my opinion: Nick Stokes or Warrick Brown (RIP). :-(

7. JBC says:

I preferred CSI NY better. Always liked Gary Sinese.

8. MN says:

Eh, I feel like we’ve heard worse from actors in the past and they weren’t punished at all. Look at the crap Nathan Fillion pulled and he was practically rewarded for being lazy. At least George was fighting over a storyline, he has some artistic integrity. I also dont get the pregnant part too, I was afraid they were gonna he was pushed her or something.. dont get that detail.

9. Drew says:

Wait… he threatened to quit, but left with a leave of absence. Was this his decision, like they wanted him back and talked him out of quitting by giving him time off? Or was it punishment for getting into an argument with the writer?

I don’t watch the show, but writers go to the set to supervise and consult. Arguing plotlines with actors is part of the job. When the article mentioned her being 8 months pregnant, I was ready for a line about him shoving her or threatening her. Considering that this is pretty normal behavior (not the best behavior, but normal) on set, I don’t see why he would get into trouble for arguing with the writer. Unless he threatened her somehow, this doesn’t make sense.

From the way it’s written here, it sounds more like the writer couldn’t handle an actor with an ego. In which case… good luck.

• Maryann says:

I wonder if the solution was for him to go on leave til she took maternity leave, and just skip the story line she wanted him to do that he didn’t like, rather than do it the way he suggested.

10. MN says:

Also, I was under the impression that writers and actors dont actually interact much at all, unless the writer is a producer as well. I thought writers werent typically on set. Am i wrong?

• Drew says:

Usually, a writer will be on set to consult on how something should be played, or to make revisions. Basically, they’re acting on behalf of the producers on the story angle. With television, directors don’t have as much power as with movies. The writing team really drives the show. I’m not saying that they call all of the shots, since there are people on set for that, but they’re there if they’re needed… like, say, to talk to an actor about his character’s story.

11. Timothy McNeil says:

All things being equal, I would prefer an actor who cares enough to know about contradictions written into a story about his/her character to one who blithely shows up and just does the lines as written. This piece makes no specific reference as to what the grievance Eads had was (that would require investigation and not embellishing a press release) or what role the writer played in said grievance.
    Those would be things I would want to know.

12. Hepha says:

I just hope he won’t decide to quit eventually ! If Eads leaves too, well, it won’t look much like the original CSI…

13. Lila says:

I don’t know what to think about this. It sounds like the network and show runner sided with the writer which is surprising. Writers are a lot easier to replace than an original actor. That makes me think this incident was bad.

I don’t have a problem with an actor protesting a storyline but that should be done with the appropriate people in the appropriate place. I can’t count the number of times actors have talked about calling or going to see the show runners of their show to discuss their concerns about a story. Why did he take the problem up with one writer of an episode that had multiple writers when they were already filming? This sounds to me like he lost his temper and went after the nearest writer about it and caused an incident.

• cas says:

Another website said he quit but they begged him to stay and told him to just take a leave instead. So I doubt they were siding with the writer.

14. Auntie Ralph says:

I can’t get over them mentioning her being pregnant. You could take that a number of ways really: are the blaming the fact that it got so heated on her being hormonal? Are they trying to make him look like the bad guy for yelling at a woman who is pregnant? Tricky enough to tell if Eads flipping out was justified or not depending on what was written, since actors can get attached to their characters but that doesn’t necessarily mean they know how to write them.

I think the only real answer to the whole thing is a simple, “What?”

15. Mr. Smith says:

I would have left a long time ago. The show is tired. Most of the characters are worn out. Just time to end the show.

Oh, and I don’t know what happened–might have been the woman’s fault, might have been Eads’ fault, might have been both of them.

16. Danielle says:

I am a lawyer and have worked in-house for HR departments and let me assure you the writer being pregnant likely has everything to do with how CBS -had to- handle this. An employer simply cannot be too careful. This may not have been so much about what this actor did but what the writer -may- have done, legally, if she felt she wasn’t being protected (even from a verbal assault).

• JLK says:

Thank you! That’s exactly what I’d been saying…and getting attacked for. To me it looks like a CYA move by the network/show.

• Drew says:

This is the problem with our legal system. She’s there to do a job and should be able to perform it as well as anyone else. If she can’t, she should either not work there anymore, or be on her maternity leave. They could have kept her in the nice little writing offices, but she was on set and this is the job for that person. I have nothing but respect for pregnant women, but that has nothing to do with the job that she was hired to perform. If she can’t do it, she shouldn’t be doing it. And she certainly shouldn’t be able to sue anyone because of her inability.

• Len says:

Yea, she’s hired to write an epsiode, not argue about it with an actor. As a writer, it’s perfectly safe to be on a set. As an arguer, not so much.

• Drew says:

Do you even know why writers are sent to be on set during filming? It’s not because they love seeing their words come to life, it’s because they’re there to consult on the filming of the episode. Answer questions. Make revisions. So yes, she was there to argue with the actor if that actor had a problem with the way his character was being written.

17. I would like to know more about what happened before I could place any type of judgement on the situation. But in all honestly, if Eads left I wouldn’t miss him that much. His character stopped being interesting a long time ago; maybe it’s the writers’ fault, maybe it’s his… either way, if they took Nick Stokes out of the show, the only reason I would be upset would be over the fact that only 3 original characters would still remain (Greg, Sara and Brass). I’m not sure I can swallow that ‘going to Quantico for an assignment’ storyline but I’ll wait for the new season to judge that.

18. Linda Piper says:

Okay. So an actor and a writer had an argument. Not a surprise there. What is a surprise, is that it happened on a show that is much commented upon as having a give and take attitude to what happens in a story. There MUST have been other “artistic differences” arguments before this one. Everyone who works on CSI have been reported as being part of a “family.” Well families have fallings out,no matter how much they care for each other.The writer in question is pregnant, and although I’ll be damned for saying it,SO? We women constantly say when pregnant “I’m not ill. Stop treating me as if I am.” I did. Hormones do come into it too. At 8 months pregnant I was ready to rip off my hus band’s head if he only said “hello.” “I love you” too set me off. If the writer had been male ans suffering from a particularly debilitating migraine would this “spat” have been reported at all on media sites? Would it have been allowed to escalate? There’s a niggle in my mind that lurking deep within this whole thing is one, perhaps more, personal agendas. It’s something about nothing. Maybe even an every day happening.Why don’t all parties, say sorry,admit they were wrong, kiss and make up and get on with what they’re paid to do.Work!

19. over it! says:

This guy is an entitled spoiled brat, this show hasn’t been relevant in years and they should have let him quit then sued him for breach of contract. So over these babies. You get paid obscene amounts of money get over it. You are not the creator or writer of the show your job is to make the words sound good deal with it you loser. He is less than a man and cbs should just fire him!

20. PA says:

George has always been a nice, respectable, professional southern gentleman so if he was arguing for his character that he has worked very hard on for the last 300 episodes I say he’s probably right! The pregnancy thing is not an issue, just a tactic to make the situation sound worse. George is not known to argue with women or be disrespectful! I’m sure there is more truth to this incident that was not published. Remember, there are a lot of writers for the show but only one had a problem!

21. Mary says:

He sounds like an ass. If he had a normal job, he would be fired for not showing up for work. Especially since this also happened back in ’04.

22. Cate Amos says:

Maybe CBS can handle an extended absence on his part the same way “South Park” handled the Isaac Hayes departure several years back. With the decline in quality I’ve seen in CSI lately, I don’t think anyone would notice any cutting and pasting of Nick Stokes from previous episodes.

23. cas says:

Most of these comments are freaking stupid. Nobody knows what happened and they are just assuming he is an ass. I bet everyone has had disagreements at work as I know I have. Someone said he was paid just to show up and say the lines. Well that is a dumbass comment. Because anyone can do that but I would prefer someone who can actually act and doesn’t allow the character to become inconsistent or stupid because the writers decided that was the way to go.

• Len says:

It’s the bosses job to ensure the character fits their view. Not the actors.

If I work at say generic business x, and have a problem with a coworker, or team member, my avenue of action is to my manager. Not the coworker. Ever.

24. Chicago Dan says:

There is obviously a lot more to this story. Also, I suppose they are punishing GE by keeping him out of the 300th episode because in the picture that Marj tweeted of the cast for the 300th, George is right there on the left. (See link in middle of this story.)

25. Drew says:

I think that some people fail to understand the relationship between an actor and a character after a while. Usually by the time a show has been on the air for a long time, the writers welcome actor feedback, because the actors know the characters as well as–if not better than–the writers. They don’t just show up and say the lines. This isn’t a first grade reading class, it’s an actual job which requires actual skill.

I don’t watch CSI. I’ve never found it to be a very well written show in the first place, so I can’t speak to what appears on screen these days. However, by season 10 of “Smallville”, Tom Welling was an active executive producer on the show. James Roday and Dule Hill are producers on “Psych”. The list goes on, because after a certain amount of time, the actors should have a voice in what happens to their characters. It doesn’t mean that they’re always right or that the writers have to listen, but there is no reason why an actor should keep his mouth shut and just say the lines after 300 episodes. That’s ridiculous. We’re not even talking about a show that’s had the same writing staff all along. This writer is probably a fairly recent addition compared to this actor.

I find it frustrating when people talk about acting like it’s nothing. Like the actors have been given a free pass on life and don’t have to work like real people. They do work. They are vital members of a production line, pushing out a product that millions of people consume. They work long hours. They often get injured on the job. Yes, they make good money (though you really have to think of actors as small businesses with other employees that are being paid from that larger number). But if you were a vital component in the manufacturing of the next big tech craze, don’t you think you’d be paid well too? And if you’d been working someplace for 14 years, wouldn’t you hope that your opinion would be taken into consideration?

26. Daniel says:

I really Don’t believe this at all and It’s really sad that they punish George by not putting him in the 300th episode. He knows this character more than anyone else and he should fight for him. I think this wouldn’t have happend If he had an argument with a woman that’s not pregnant.

27. Kate says:

I kind of want to hear the storyline that got him all fired up. Sounds interesting.

28. Michael says:

I’m curious to know what they could have fought about/over. I’m not a regular CSI viewer, but aren’t the scripts/storylines pretty straightforward?

It’s not like this is Dynasty and the writers wanted Alexis to be nice to someone.

There’s an old adage: “if you want to hear an actor complain, give him/her a job.” So true.

29. Mikael says:

I remember when CSI was the #1 show on television. I think it passed its prime years ago. It’s probably best to call it quits soon. And that’s a very unflattering picture of George. He looks like his neck combined with his chin.

30. Chaosrainz says:

Interesting to see how people are filling in the blanks here with their own interpretation of what happened. It just says they “clashed” over the script…although that sounds like a violent word, nothing says he threatened, pushed, yelled at or anything else, or that he even started it but posters are commenting like he’s an abusive thug! Just because they referred to her as pregnant. For whatever reason they asked him to take a breather until she’s on maternity leave it sounds like but he wasn’t fired, arrested or put into rehab. Until there’s more info comes out, let’s not let our imaginations run wild one way or the other.

31. Jess says:

I just think that no matter what the “altercation” was about or what happened, keeping George out of the 300th episode is completely unfair. He is one of the few remaining original cast members left, and regardless of what happened between him and a staff writer (preggo or not) he has earned the right, and the fans who have stuck with the show have earned having Nick take part in 300.

• CLM says:

It’s junk like this that could make me stop watching this good program. He’s vital to the show. Bring him back and make the pregnant lady stay home if she’s that delicate. Shame on CBS and the writers or whoever made that decision. What a waste of talent!

32. George says:

BRING EADS BACK IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. Joyce says:

I couldn’t care less what the altercation was or with who….Eads is great on the show, so everyone get their crap together and bring him back! I’m talking to you Carol Mendelsohn!

34. Edyta says:

Oh my god I’m gonna die!

35. K says:

He should quit this show. It’s writing has been going downhill for a long time and he’s frankly too talented to keep wasting his time on it.

36. Thresa Cary says:

I cant wait for him to return. Nick is a part of the CSI family and I miss seeing him.

37. A says:

I want Nick back :( I miss seeing him ,,, BRING NICK BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. Shirley says:

I sure hope George Eads returns soon…he is my favorite character on the show and I miss hime.

39. Wow! In the end I got a blog from where I know how to in fact take useful data regarding my study and knowledge.

40. CLM says:

Give it a rest. Nick is a good part of that show and I, for one, miss his character. IF the argument was about his character then he should have had a say in it. And if the 8 month pregnant person was that delicate then what was she doing at work anyway? I’m a woman who had 2 kids and I don’t remember being such a delicate flower that an argument caused any damage. How ridiculous!

41. ang lee says:

Stopped watching since he left and the Ipads and pods started taking over the acting…….sucks.

42. Nancy titley says:

What ever the argument was about its over now and everyone needs to move on ok. George is back now and I’m happy for that he’s a better actor then the rest of them if he leaves I will stop watching all the other oreginal cast members already left

43. Chris willett says:

They cannot possibly sack Nuck, that would be like sacking Gill back in the day !!!
    Nick and Sara characters cement the show in my humble opinion

44. Robert says:

Come back soon Nick, missing you, first Warick, then Gris, now you…sorry Cath not really missed you although I should