Fringe Vet Joshua Jackson Eyes TV Return in Showtime Drama Pilot The Affair

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

joshua jackson the affairJoshua Jackson is climbing into bed with Showtime.

In his first post-Fringe TV gig, the actor has joined the cabler’s drama pilot The Affair playing the hard-edged cowboy husband of Luther standout Ruth Wilson’s character, TVLine has confirmed.

The Affair is described an intense and intimate exploration of two marriages and an affair that disrupts them – with all of the complex consequences that result.  Written by Sarah Treem and Hagai Levi (In Treatment), the story will be told separately from the male and female perspective.

RELATED | 30 Actors TVLine Readers Want Back on TV Now

Maura Tierney and Dominic West portray the other couple.

Jackson’s casting was first reported by Deadline.

Last December, as Fringe was nearing the end of its five-year run, Jackson told TVLine that he planned to take his time before committing to a new TV gig. “With the intensity of 22-episode television, I don’t know how healthy it is to try to jump from show to show,” he noted. “And I had the benefit, because of my first show (Dawson’s Creek), to be able to wait out on something really good like [Fringe], and they don’t come around every year just because you’re unemployed. So the next time around, I’ll be waiting for something as good as this.”

Coincidentally, Jackson’s casting comes just weeks after his Fringe leading lady, Anna Torv, joined HBO’s similarly-themed pilot Open.

Comments (54)

• Eh. Not my cup of tea.

Comment by james – August 26, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • then what are you doing reading an article about him?

Comment by teee – August 26, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree James, i LOVE JJ from Fringe and couldnt wait for him to be on TV again (or in a movie) but this is also not my cup of tea. Even when done totally right (no bad acting, no melodrama, no hyper typical plots etc), affair stuff just isnt enjoyable to watch for me in any way.
        Teee, im sure like me, James read the article because the Title of the article mentioned Joshua Jackson joining a show, only once the article was opened and he read it, did he read something that wasnt his cup of tea.

Comment by M3rc Nate – August 26, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really wooden actor.

Comment by Caitlin P – August 26, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ummmm did anyone ask you to post your hate? no.

Comment by rachel – August 26, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nobody asked you to post anything either. This is not a Josua Jackson’s fansite, people can say if they don’t like something.

Comment by AJ – August 26, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And absolutely should, especially with all the low quality garbage that ends up being peddled on this site a lot of the time.

Comment by Matthew – August 27, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you’d watched Fringe at all, you’d know that isn’t even remotely true.

Comment by DL – August 26, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Maybe in this he will act mad and not just the same all the time with a slightly grumpier face. haha

Comment by David4 – August 27, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never been impressed with him. He was the weakest link of the Fringe cast.

Comment by Cherry – August 26, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay, but what about the night ducks? 😜

Comment by Gech – August 26, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And by that of course I meant “mighty” (iPhone had other plans, however)

Comment by Gech – August 26, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know, I was happy about this news until you joshua jackson haters had to come on here and screw it up.

Of course, Anna gets a job and nobody hates on her.

Comment by Pumpkinbabies – August 26, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No one hates on Anna because she’s a talented actress,

Comment by Cherry – August 26, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I wasn’t a big Joshua Jackson fan at the start, but by the last couple of seasons, you have to admit that he really brought it home. He clearly grew a lot as an actor over the course of the series, and by the end I couldn’t imagine anyone else in the role. His scenes with John Noble in the final season… oh, man. Honestly, how could you see that and question his acting ability?

Comment by DL – August 26, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Totally agree. Except for the part about not being a Joshua Jackson fan from the start. I’ve always thought he was very talented, and, while I hate to be the person going here-and yes, I’m aware it wasn’t emmy worthy tv- BUT, he made Dawson’s Creek way back in the day. That show is terrible, but I’ll still watch it every now and then just for Pacey. Now I’ll admit, against John Noble & Anna Torv, it was difficult for him to shine, but he was far from wooden. However, I think working with them, Noble in particular, really helped him break out, and I’m excited to see how this is going to play out.

Comment by Amanda – August 27, 2013 03:07 AM PDT
  • Oh great, let the Joshua Jackson hate begin.

Comment by ohgrreat – August 26, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cowboy Pacey. COWBOY PACEY.

Comment by Topaz – August 26, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES. This is exactly what I thought, too!

I loved Fringe, but Joshua Jackson will ALWAYS be Pacey Witter to me.

Comment by Amanda – August 26, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care what anyone says. I would watch him read the newspaper. Even if his delivery was a little forced.

Comment by Elf – August 26, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GAH! I need to get my Showtime subscription reactivated!

Comment by Alichat – August 26, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad Joshua got cast in a pilot for a new show. Hope the show gets pickup. He’s a great actor.

Comment by Joey – August 26, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, He can’t act his way out of a paper bag.

Comment by Bete – August 26, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WHY THE HELL DO YOU CARE IF HE FINDS A JOB THEN JERK?!!!!

Comment by Pumpkinbabies – August 26, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh please, there are way worse actors out there. He’s not Tom Hanks or Robert De Niro but he’s still good.

Comment by Lauren – August 27, 2013 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMAZING! Always love to see Josh.

Comment by Dani – August 26, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s with these Joshua Jackson fans here? I don’t really like or dislike the guy, but the response to some of the negative things people are saying here is nuts.

Comment by AJ – August 26, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cause I’m freaking sick of the josh hate all right? John noble and Anna Torv would find work and NOBODY hates on them.

Comment by Pumpkinbabies – August 26, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s because John Nobel and Anna Torv are actually good actors while Joshua Jackson has exactly one facial expression and always sounds like he’s mildly constipated?

Comment by Thom – August 26, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Why don’t you shut up? It’s not Josh’s fault he wasn’t given 5 people to play.

Comment by Pumpkinbabies – August 26, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ha! True.

Comment by Lauren – August 27, 2013 08:08 AM PDT
          • That’s got nothing to do with it.

The fact he couldn’t play the one character he had, never mind 5, speaks volumes about his lack of talent.

Comment by Joe Zel – August 30, 2013 09:21 PM PDT
          • Go to hell.

Comment by Pumpkinbabies – August 30, 2013 10:22 PM PDT
        • HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAH

Comment by Luv – August 26, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hey, troll. Nobody cares. Anyone who’s seen the end of Fringe knows Jackson has acting chops.

Comment by DL – August 26, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I saw the end of Fringe. He does not have acting chops.

Comment by Thom – August 26, 2013 07:05 PM PDT
  • You people are such jerks. I was happy for Josh now you jerks ruined it with your utter disrespect and bashing.

Comment by Pumpkinbabies – August 26, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Breathe. Relax. Happy thoughts.

Comment by Drew – August 26, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ha! Yeah that one seems a little bit TOO invested in an actor she (or he, I guess) wouldn’t get the time of day from.

Comment by B – August 26, 2013 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love all the actors involved. It sounds really interesting and has writers from in treatment, so I’m sure the subject matter will be interesting and evolving.

I hope this gets picked up, because the actors should showcase a good drama.

Comment by Joan – August 26, 2013 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s written by people from “In Treatment”? Sounds interesting.

Joshua Jackson is hardly the worst actor on television. Get a grip, folks.

Comment by LL – August 26, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly, jeez. Even if you’re not a fan, anyone would think he’d just wandered on set from the next-door amateur dramatic society the way people talk about him. He’s perfectly fine by any measure, very good for others. I find him understated and charming – others are welcome to call that stilted if they like, but that’s a question of taste. He’s a perfectly good actor.

Comment by Topaz – August 26, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There’s nothing wrong with Joshua Jackson’s acting. I find him very effective and, having gotten to know him on Fringe, I think he’s a tad underrated. What he does need is a bit of vocal training. His voice timbre is a little weak and it sometimes detracts from his considerable other performing skills (not “acting lessons,” but just improving the timbre of the voice, which is something that professional singers and actors often work on to improve). This is a case where someone with natural talent who didn’t go to drama school possibly missed out on some of the basic nuts and bolts training, but it’s stuff that can be easily improved.

Comment by Donna – August 27, 2013 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s so funny you talk about his voice like that because it was his voice that drew me in originally. I could sit and listen to him all day just like Morgan Freeman; however, everything else about him is great too.

Comment by Justyne – August 27, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There are a few TV actors, particularly in the US, who are clearly talented but have never had voice and breath training, and their lack of vocal control ends up stifling their range in so many other ways. It tenses up your face and body when you don’t breathe properly, makes you more contrived and less expressive. I have to say I’ve never hugely noticed it with Joshua Jackson though.

Comment by Topaz – August 27, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited to see how he does in this. I’m a huge JJ fan, so would watch anything he is in and I personally think he is a great actor. He brings a unique quality to every character he plays. When I see him on screen, I don’t see Josh Jackson, I see the character he is which to me is the best quality an actor can have.

Comment by Justyne Higgins – August 26, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved his work on Fringe, and was eager to see his return to TV. But like other people said, affair stuff just doesn’t entertain me, so I probably wouldn’t go out of my way to watch this.

Sad. This is two for two that I won’t be watching. I’ll have to skip Anna’s new show too. So far, the post-Fringe era is not working out well for me!

Comment by Drew – August 26, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so strange how everyone has a wildly different opinion of people and their acting skills. Personally I think he is great in Fringe and I wouldn’t want anyone else in the role. I think people hate on him because of where he got his start and don’t pay attention to how much better he got over the years. Either way I love him so good for him!

Comment by cas – August 27, 2013 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pacey and Alice???!!!?!?!?? Yes, please!

Comment by Magically Suspicious – August 27, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So dissapointing. So many good cast members being wasted on this garbage, stand-alone movie concept. 22 episodes a week for 5 or more years all revolving around an affair? My God… the show hasn’t even started yet and it already sounds like a test of endurance.

Comment by Matthew – August 27, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Joshua Jackson! Best of luck to him! Currently watching Fringe and LOVING it, and as a 90s girl, my heart will always be in Capeside.

Comment by Lauren – August 27, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You should have watched it when it originally came on.

Comment by Diva – August 27, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is incredible news to me. I’ll watch this just because he is an amazing actor and a wonderful person, but I hope the show itself is good. Congratulations, Josh!

Comment by sam – August 27, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, stop. Don’t say John Noble and Anna Torv are good actors while josh is not. The truth is they had the chance to play different characters in 5 seasons, while josh just one. If he had the chance to play more than one Peter he would have been as great as Anna and John. I’m sure about that! Infact he had this chance (or something like that) in season 5 and was absolutely great! So, stop with this stupid and senseless arguments.
    Josh improved a lot as an actor. He is great.
    Speaking of his new show i don’t know what to think but i hope it’s good. Josh’s new character seems different compared with the “perfet guy” he often played and that’s good because in my opinion josh is a very versatile actor and this role can be another way for him to test his talent.

Comment by Giada (@jador86) – August 28, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post