Breaking Bad Recap: The Study of Change

Breaking Bad Recap JesseIn the Breaking Bad pilot several years back, Walt lectured to his high school students that chemistry was “the study of change.” This week’s episode offers up a master’s degree in that subject, so completely does it highlight the ways in which Walter and Jesse have transcended themselves – in ways good and bad – since the series began. And then there’s that OMG scene… and that other OMG scene… It’s a rough one. Let’s review the major developments that take place in “Confessions.”

RELATED | Dean Norris Revisits Breaking Bad‘s Garage Showdown

MEET THE NEW BOSS | The episode opens with Todd on the phone outside a diner, leaving a message for Walt. Due to a difference of opinions with Lydia’s formerly alive meth-lab runner Declan, he says, there’s been a “change in management,” and he thinks Mr. White should know. At a booth inside, he regales his uncle and his uncle’s pal with a retelling of the great train caper from earlier this season. The older men eat it up like a breakfast burrito, then the talk eventually turns to Todd running Lyd’s lab. “I got this,” he promises them, and they head back into New Mexico.

THE MASTER AT WORK | In the interrogation room where we left them last week, Hank has important intel for Jesse regarding Heisenberg. “See, I know he’s my brother-in-law Walt,” Hank says, which sends Jesse’s eyebrow into the stratosphere. Still, Jesse is Jesse, so he replies, “Eat me.” Undeterred, Hank notes that Walt lied to him and used him for a year. “Maybe you understand that feeling,” he says. But just then, Saul busts in and sends the DEA boss out of the room so he and Jesse can have a little lawyer-client time. Jesse tells him to chill out. “I don’t chill out right now because things have gone nuclear,” Saul replies.

And he doesn’t even know the half of it. Walt is interrupted trying to cover his bruises with Skyler’s foundation (a goofy moment I loved for the way it called to mind the bumbling, clueless Walt of Season 1) when Flynn says he’s going to Marie’s for some computer troubleshooting and dinner. Walt flies out of the bathroom just in time to catch his son and tell him that the cancer’s returned. (RJ Mitte’s face crumbles so believably upon hearing the news. Nice.) Walt vows to fight and asks the kid to stay positive, then sends him on his way – but an upset Jr. isn’t going anywhere, just like Walt knew would happen. (Side note: Of all of the emotional manipulation that goes on in this episode – and there’s plenty to choose from – this one made me the maddest. Even if I could forgive you for the way you handle Jesse later, Flynn/Walter Jr. is your own kid, Walt.)

Later, Skyler presses the record button on a video camera in their bedroom (not like that, pervs). Walt sits in front of it, gives his name and address and says, “This is my confession.” (Nice, tweaked nod to the pilot there, Breaking Bad.) Soon, he and Skyler are meeting Hank and Marie at the taqueria. Makes sense; fresh guac makes everything a little better.

Still playing the put-upon everyguy, Walt asks, “What do I have to do to make you believe me?,” and Marie honestly shocks me – and the rest of the table — when she suggests, “Why don’t you just kill yourself, Walt?” Woah, Marie, don’t hold anything back! Hank – who, by the way, has looked like a :/ emoticon throughout the conversation – growls, “Step up, be a man and admit what you did. There is no other option.” At that, Walt gathers his things and his wife and leaves, sliding a DVD toward his brother-in-law as he goes.

CONFESSIONS, PT. II | When the Schraders pop the disc into their home player, Walt’s evil genius shows itself yet again. Yes, the recording we see him make earlier is a confession – but it’s a fake one that claims Hank is a meth kingpin (!) who has forced Walt to be his chemist for the past year (!!). Knowing that the most believable lies have kernels of truth, Walt weaves actual events into his narrative, but changes the context to suit his needs. The cancer diagnosis, the DEA ride-along, Gus Fring – Walt mentions them all, but claims Hank masterminded everything from the meth empire to Fring’s murder. (Bonus points, Cranston, for the way you delivered “I guess you call it a hit” as though Walt had never, ever considered uttering such a phrase.)

“I wanted to go to the police, but I was frightened,” Walt says, selling himself as a victim. The only real emotion in the entire performance comes when Walt talks about the three months Flynn and Holly lived with the Schraders, but the rest is crocodile tears and flat-out fibs. It’s actually quite beautiful, how incredibly franched up this entire thing is. “I can’t take this anymore,” he blubbers, adding that he hopes “the world will finally see this man for what he is.”

Marie panics, but Hank knows the recording is just a threat. At the moment, he’s more concerned with the mention Walt makes of the $177,000 the Whites paid for Hank’s medical bills. It’s the first time Schrader has heard anything of the sort – and when he realizes that Marie accepted the cash so he’d be able to have the treatment that helped him walk again, he is despondent. “You killed me here,” he tells her. “That’s the last nail in the coffin.”

CRYING SHAME | Warning: If you are at all affected by Pinkman-in-emotional-peril scenes, the next few minutes will end you. Saul brings Jesse to the desert for a meeting with Walt. Well, it’s been nice knowing you, Jesse! After he learns that Jesse didn’t tell Hank anything, Walt takes his protege aside and suggests a change. “Will you let me help you? I don’t like to see you hurting like this,” he says, bringing up an associate of Saul’s who helps people assume new lives. Walt’s soft-voiced and avuncular, tossing in a (completely fake) good-natured chuckle and shake of the head. “If I could, I’d trade places. A whole lifetime ahead of you with a chance to hit the reset button.” (Side note: Though the likelihood of Jesse having a happy ending under an assumed name is about as likely as my parents’ story that our poodle Muffin went to live on a big farm when I was a kid, I can’t help but hope that maybe the former punk will eek his way out of this and get better.)

But Jesse’s done. “Would you just, for once, stop working me?” he asks tiredly. “Drop the whole concerned dad thing.” The younger man grows more and more upset – and Aaron Paul is on fire — as he commands Walter to just say the truth: He needs Jesse to go away to make sure that things work out for himself. “Just tell me you don’t give a s—t about me and it’s either this,” he says, his voice breaking as he sniffs back a total breakdown, “it’s either this or you’ll kill me the same way you killed Mike.”

So now that’s out there. And as Walter slowly walks toward Jesse, it seems like maybe this is the end for the pitiable Mr. Pinkman. But Walt – in yet another skillful manipulation – embraces Jesse instead. Jesse resists at first but then sags against his former mentor and fully gives himself over to a crying jag, which Walt weathers as he cradles the younger man’s head in his hand.

CIGARETTE BURNED | So Jesse agrees to a fresh start somewhere else, and Saul makes the call. But just as a car is about to whisk him off to his new life, Jesse realizes that Saul had Huell pickpocket some weed out of his pockets. And that revelation leads to – “The ricin cigarettes!” he screams as he beats Saul bloody in his office, having chosen not to get in the van. “He poisoned Brock and you… you helped him!” (Side note: I thought I’d feel good when that bit of deception finally came to light; instead, I just feel more scared for Jesse than ever before. Anyone else with me?)

Saul confesses at gunpoint, then immediately dials Walt as soon as the weapon-toting Jesse leaves the office. Heisenberg’s car screeches into the carwash driveway, then he takes a moment to pull himself together before spinning some stupid cover for Skyler about why he has to open the soda machine — real reason: to retrieve a gun he hides in there — and then quickly take off — real reason: whether he’s looking only to defend himself or to take someone out is a little unclear, but it’s definitely going to involve Jesse and it probably won’t end well. Walt, you probably don’t have to say anything to your wife, anyway; she looks about one glass of chardonnay away from another stroll in the deep end of the pool.

Cut to the White house, where Jesse careens into the front yard in his car, then jumps out with a canister of gasoline in his hand. (Uh-oh.) He kicks in the door (not good), thoroughly out of control (not good can’t watch), and begins spilling fuel all over the house (not good not good can’t watch please someone take us to the credits?) Phew.

1. Tony says:

As it stands, the most insane episode of this series.

Walt has to die!

• TV Gord says:

I completely agree with “most insane episode”! Man!

• jojo says:

why should he?everybody was onboard,everyone spent the money….including marie….and when you mess with drugs …people die…so get off your high horse and if you want to kill mr white off..try playing his role first!!! and besides its tv!i love mr white… lol.!… This comment is dedicated to cuz johnny,you were the man!!!

• Chris Milton says:

Long live Heisenberg! Walt will never go down!

• Futurologist says:

I agree, the DVD ‘confession’ was excellent, really clever writing and as ever a stellar performance from Bryan Cranston. Hank looked genuinely deflated, it will be interesting to see what his next move will be, it’s going to involve Jesse surely.

• Glenn says:

I’ve stopped trying to predict what’s going to happen. I thought Hank would play a cat-and-mouse game with Walt for an episode or two, I didn’t see Walt going to confront Hank at his home, I didn’t see Walt’s “confession” coming, and I didn’t see the woman from Madrigal ordering those hits. Those writers are too clever for me, so I’m just going to sit back and enjoy!

• Ernest says:

No, Jesse has to go. He has become too much of a liability/loose canon. We all know that Walt survives. Let’s see who gets caught up in his wake.

• Agamemnon says:

Myself somewhat confused after the most recent episode of BB, I appreciate all of the attempts to explain the ricin/Lily of the Valley issue (see below), but the ambiguity inherent even in these ‘explanations’ is indicative of the poorly written plot (remember how long we had to wait for the second instalment of season five? It’s not like the writers didn’t have time to figure it all out…). I don’t think that the writers were trying to divide the viewers into some kind of two-tiered population either, as some commentators seem to suggest, – those (few) spectators who get it, and the rest who don’t. This is, after all, television, ie. a popular medium. I guess the connection was clear in the writers’ minds (they have been living with the story for the past five years and know it better than any of us ever will), but they just weren’t quite able to convey the link to their audiences in a plausible manner. Maybe it will be made clearer in one of the five remaining episodes. If not, we can but accept the story and enjoy it for what it is – a crazy roller coaster ride of action and emotion. Can’t wait to see how this pans out!

• Aaron says:

I disagree. They shouldn’t have to dumb it down because viewers like you can’t pay attention to details.

• Agamemnon says:

But which details would those be? No one in the entire inter-world (yes, exhaustive searches have been carried out) has yet been able to explain what happened. Jesse was made to believe that he had dropped the ricin somewhere in his messy house PLUS the doctor told him it wasn’t even ricin that poisoned Brock, rather the poisonous plant (seemingly confirmed when we see the plant in Walt’s back yard at the end of season 4). Are we meant to think that Jesse believes the doctor lied to him? Ok, we know he doesn’t trust Walt any more, but it still seems like a giant, illogical, and not particularly credible leap (albeit a correct one, as it turns out) was made by Jesse in this episode. But maybe that was the point, to show us how irrational Jesse has become after all the lies and manipulation. He’s not thinking straight any more, could explode at any time etc etc.

• walt has admitted to having done the thing that jesse is so angry about… ie he did poison the boy, probably with that plant rather than ricin.

• So cal girl says:

Thank you so much for bringing that up. Exactly my thought about the poisoning of Brock. Jesse had already written it off as an accident, which makes his return to rage against Saul and mr. White not make sense. So sad for Jesse. I don’t think there’s any repair possible after this one. Can’t tell where Walt resides currently on the sanity scale, I feel like his calm is just before the storm,

• Joseph says:

to call this bad writing becauseJesse realized his pocket had picked just like he originally suspected which led him to believe Walt poisoned Brock is really just looking for something to bitch about. Jesse is attlebrained. its very believable that he can put together pickpockiting equals Walt poisoned Brock and lose the fact that it was not ricin that was the culprit. Walt convinced him that noway his pocket was picked making walt a liar and the killer

• D says:

I’ve watched this episode a couple of times and I am still not understanding how Jesse makes the leap from the Ricin cigarette being lost (and, of course found later) to Walt poisoning Brock. Brock wasn’t poisoned by Ricin so….how does Jesse make that connection?

2. kev says:

how did jesse know walt poisoned brock if walt used a flower not ricin?

• J.B. says:

I’m pretty sure Ricin is a product of that type of flower.

• Jackie says:

no it’s not… the kid was poisoned by the ricin

• Piggles says:

Rewatch the episode, it was Lily of the Valley. The doctors say so and it is made blatantly obvious as Walter owns the plant and proceeds to throw it away afterwards.

The whole revaluation scene with Jesse is super-farfetched. There is no way that Jesse could have pieced it together to the point of throwing him into a fit of rage.

Walter steals the ricin —> Jesse blames Walter —> Walter convinces Jesse it was Gus —> Turns out it was Lily of the Valley —> Walter/Jesse look for the ricin because Jesse “lost” it —> They find the ricin in the vacuum making Jesse think he last it

What tips Jesse off to think he didn’t just loose it? It’s too much of a stretch to go from “I lost the ricin” to “Huell lifted the ricin and Walter made me think it was Gus. He poisoned Brock with Lily of the Valley and planted the ricin in the vacuum.

All that from having a little weed lifted? Seems really messy to me.

• rockerrick says:

I must agree. Jesse felt such pain and guilt over having “almost” killing his father figure that it is difficult to imagine him suddenly abstracting to the nth degree and conclude; “Oh I get it…it was the old switcharoo that allowed my almost son to get poisoned by my father figure!” Sorry Vince but that is a stretch that even Mr. Armstrong would have difficulty achieving.

• Tony says:

But it wasn’t just the weed. Its been everything. Its Walt trying to convince Jesse that he didn’t kill Mike when he is certain he did. Its Walt trying to convince Jesse to leave town and start fresh, knowing Walt is only doing saying this to get rid of the one person who could knock down this house of cards. Jesse finally acknowledges that Walt continues to play him and as I said in my last post, I think it was a perfect storm of realizations that led to Jesse’s conclusion. And it doesn’t matter how Brock was poisoned. Jesse understands that the ricin was taken by Walt in a plot to poison Brock and implicate Gus

• top dog says:

what do you mean they find the ricin in the vacuum making Jesse think he last it. I thought you said that Jesse assumed he had lost. …. did you mean they FOUND the ricin in the vacuum making Jesse think he LOST it? ….. JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJJA

• Sid says:

I agree. It was a stretch. Especially when the agents told him it wasn’t ricin poisoning. I think he just wanted to get ahead of it and take care of Walt. I was really wondering where the hell their infant daughter was!

• GeoJoe says:

Jesse had already believed that Walt had poisoned Brock and that Saul’s bodyguard had taken the ricin off him, but was eventually manipulated by Walt into believing that it was Gus. They made it that Jesse finds out this way because he had already put it together back in season 4 and in the end, he was right. He had figured this out so long ago but now he knows.

• $hadow says:

The ricin/lily of the valley play was to put Jesse on Walt’s side again. At that time Walt was losing Jesse to Mike and Gus, not only that but Gus was already going to zero Walt and replace him with Jesse for the meth production.
            Walt decided to put himself at risk with this play to make Jesse believe in him, psychologic play, putting himself at point blank range of Jesse’s gun willingly to prove his innocence.
            Now he knew that Jesse was aware of the ricin power, so well that he also knew he would suspect Walt was the one that used it on his son to the point of warning the mother to instruct the doctors on a ricin treatment.

Now the final part of the plan, he finds out that it wasn’t actually ricin but a common plant, it was all an accident -he thought- and this made Jesse return to Walt’s side. This helped Walt into making Jesse see that Gus “had to go” and eventually they did it.

Breaking Bad – Face Off is probably the highest IMDB scoring episode and my personally favorite, it is a well orchestrated psychologic play and the tension goes through the roof. Although I haven’t explained all of it you (the readers that are having a hard time figuring out why the ricin and lily complex is not working so well) can understand that it actually is perfect from A to Z and it follows the amazing intelligence and attention evolution of Jesse through all the episodes under the tension of lies and deceits perpetrated by Walt.

The result couldn’t be other than him finding out the truth in seconds once the clue was in front of his eyes (or missing from his pocket).

• MikeS. says:

There’s only one thing I can think of that justifies him putting all of this together, and it relies on some things that I don’t remember for sure. Did anyone notice if he actually opens the pack and sees that it is in fact a full pack? Also, has he worn that hoodie at all since season 4? Here’s the only way it makes sense to me, if he knows that’s the same pack of cigarettes and he realizes that, because they found the ricin in the roomba. Ricin gone should also = the cigarrette gone. So, if it’s a full pack, and he knows for sure that it’s the same pack, that might be enough to tip him off. Again, some of that stuff would take a bit of substantiating, but that’s the only way I can figure that he put it together just by looking at the cigarette pack.

• Brian Rodjers says:

Great points yo. I was thinking along the same lines and you summed it up perfectly for him to just make the connection like that is quite far fetched and the way he was frantically looking for his weeks to build up the scene..jesse is such a mess if his weed wasn’t there he wouldn’t have cared or just thought he dropped it.

• steve martin says:

Revelations are usually very simple. Just thinking about the ricin cigarette, the lifting and the finding of it in his rhoomba, their plans to use it and just the simple fact that their is only one person on earth Jesse knows to be a poisoner – Walt. Exact compound doesn’t matter. Nothing matters except that Walt is a poisoner and the kid got poisoned. Jesse’s been around street drugs long enough to know that when all kinds of weird, mysterious circumstances abound, that someone is screwing you.

• meloddic says:

I dont see it as messy writting, as we dont know the outcome because the season hasnt ended yet, but I too feel like it was a stretch. I found all of your guys posts, thinking to myself “I cant be the only one who remembers that Brock wasnt poisoned by ricin…and Jesse’s mind was put to ease after Walt n him found the ricin smoke in the roombot vacuum, (which Walt planted)” so I looked up my theory n found you guys, im glad to know im not alone in wondering “WTF”. Hopefully it all gets explained, otherwise it will be a never ending curious itch I have to scratch.

I am a huge fan of the show n the actors it is absolutely brilliant! ♥MelODDic♥

• JBC says:

No, the kid was poisoned by the flower. There was no ricin in his system. Walt made Jesse think it was the ricin, in order to continue to manipulate him. It was Saul who got in contact with Brock and somehow got him to eat the flower in some form.. It was all said in an earlier episode. Remember when Walt helped Jesse look through his house and pretended to find the cigarette in the little remote vacuum? There is more to this but can’t remember all right now. I don’t think Walt liked Jesse getting close to the girlfriend and her son. He needed Jesse to keep cooking with him.

• Jim Fischer says:

Yes, but if Walt convinced Jesse that Gus had taken the ricin, than why didn’t Jesse automatically assume it was Walt when he found out that Brock wasn’t poisoned with ricin, he was poisoned by the flower.

• Man, if you don’t understand after watching it, watch it again. It’s not that subtle. In fact, it was a really, really big deal. If you’ve seen it and you still don’t get it, watch this theory video that was posted before days before the season 4 finale. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BROfhjCycY Most people didn’t buy it and thought Walt wasn’t capable of it. Most people were wrong.

• Roz says:

Actually the producer said that Walt slipped the poison in Brock’s juice box.

• Jerry Ninno says:

You guys seem to forget that Gustavo was a member of the board of directors at the hospital. I suspect Ricin was possibly used to poison Brock, but Gus pulled some strings and switched the lab test results. Now that doesn’t explain Walter eyeballing the Lilley of the Valley plant that he had in his backyard. It’s just an alternative theory to consider.

• The ricin pill was recovered by Walt in the flash forward scene at the beginning of this run

• jeniousme says:

I don’t understand the ricen thing at all. Walt took it and hid it. Jesse lost it then found it. The drs said the lily of the valley and it was focused on towards the end of that episode. Aaaaand if u don’t remember the salt sitting on the table when walt visited the girlfeiends house while they were eating. I do think its messy writing or something that could be revealed later. Idk but I had that wtf moment too.

• C.G. says:

If Walt had given Brock Ricin, he (Brock) would be dead. But Brock recovered because he was poisoned with Lily of the Valley. But I still don’t get how Jesse made the leap from the cigarette pack to Saul.

• LPala says:

It was confusing at first, but you have to realize Jesse already figured Walt had killed Mike, and was also a master manipulator. I don’t think it was much of a leap, at least not of thinking, but like an epiphany.

• rockerrick says:

OK that makes sense..thank you because I was having a difficult time taking the leap of faith. However, he did become totally disillusioned with the Mike murder and the child murder and the 2-minute murder spree. So..yeah an epiphany..that’s the ticket! I have changed my mind. Wow Mr. Gilligan you are one rockin’ writer.

• RockGolf says:

Yeah, epiphany, bitch!

• Joseph says:

Everyone has a problem with the cigarette pack connection but comon does anyone believe Jesse knows Walts cell phone number? I haven’t committed a number to memory since the early 90s when i got my first cell phone Lol

• rockerrick says:

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Ricin is made from a bean, not a flower.

• D says:

Nope. Ricin is made from castor beans. Lily of the Valley (the flower used) is a highly poisonous plant withe red berries. The entire plant is poisonous.

• Jackie says:

he just figured out that Saul or Huell took the ricin cigarette just like they took his pot

• R.O.B. says:

It’s as simple as that – with everything else going on, he saw the cigarette pack, noted that Huell bumped into him, and it reminded him of the same thing happening with the ricin cigarette. Also, Jesse’s state of mind is declining, so he’s not thinking things through logically.

• B_Newman says:

This^

Jesse has never been particularly logical or rational. I’ve always seen him work on a more intuitive level — the emotional barometer of the Walt/Jeese partnership. Walt has gone all sociopath where Jesse keeps getting emotionally pounded by what he has done.

When I take the above into account, when he looks at the cigarette pack he doesn’t “put it together” he just “knows” he’s been played for Walt’s ends. It doesn’t have to make logical sense for Jesse. He’s never reacted to logic, he’s only followed it when explained by Walt. No more I guess.

• Joseph says:

Well said b-newman. I was trying to say this earlier but you did a better job

• Nolan says:

So I just finished Breaking Bad this week and was confused by the whole ricin/lilly of the valley contradiction. This has been by far the best explanation as to how Jesse comes to his conclusion. That being said, I still think its a bit of a stretch that the audience has to put it together by assuming what Jesse’s emotions and state of mind are at that moment.

• Rich says:

Not quite just like that, but close. In the End Times episode, Huel aggressively pats down Jesse when he shows up at Saul’s office(after Saul leaves Jesse 6 messages). That pat down is when Huel lifts the cigarette.

• yahskar says:

He figured out that Walt had Saul/Huell take the ricin off of him (seeing how Walt made such a huge deal of helping Jesse find the ricin), and realized that the only reason Walt had for doing that was to convince Jesse that Gus poisoned Brock.

• Jerry says:

Pretty much. At this point i don’t think it really matters to Jesse -how- Walt managed to poison Brock. Just that he clearly did.

• Jim Fischer says:

Yes, but if Walt convinced Jesse that Gus had taken the ricen, than why didn’t Jesse automatically assume it was Walt when he found out that Brock wasn’t poisoned with ricen, he was poisoned by the flower.

• zak says:

Remember at the end of season four when Jesse tells Walt it was Lilly of the Valley, and not the ricin? Well, he said “I guess they have these berries that little kids just pluck off and eat”, or something to that effect, at least. Then it shows in Walts backyard the Lilly of the Valley plant. Now, in the comicon panel it is revealed walt had the berries crushed and put into his juice bozx at school. Hope this helps.

• zak says:

Also remember, the ricin is still in the outlet, almost a year later. The “ricin” Jesse and Walt “found” was actually salt in the vacuum.

• BA says:

As I recall, Jesse guessed that Huell may have taken the ricen cigarette from him when he first accused Walt of poisoning Brock. Walt convinced him otherwise, but when Huell lifted the weed, Jesse realized that his had guessed correctly.

• James says:

This guys is exactly right! Thank you SOMEONE for bringing this up, finally! Although, I think the better question is “why does Walt steal the ricin cig at all from Jesse, if he’s already used Lily of the Valley to poison Brock?”

• Rich says:

Jesse only knows that Walt did poison Brock. This is clear now because Jesse has just come to realize that Walt had the ricin cig lifted in an attempt to frame Gus. The manner of Brock’s poisoning is not important to Jesse. He just knows it had to be Walt who poisoned him because 1) it was not Gus and 2) by having the ricin cig lifted Walt tried to frame Gus which leads one to believe that Walt committed the act.

• kobe says:

Walt did poison brock with the ricin but just like walt says in the previous seasons that ricin DOES NOT SHOW UP ON THE TESTS and he only used the plant just so the doctors would know where it came from and let the boy leave the hospital since they would find out it was only a mistake and not something more serious

3. justjack says:

Awesome episode… that scene between Walt and Jesse was really hard to watch. But the ricin “reveal” seemed really forced… the only sour note so far this season.

• BL says:

I agree and maybe it’s because we KNOW that Brock wasn’t poisoned with ricin but instead the Lily of the Valley. I’ve waited for Jesse to find out about Brock, but I was underwhelmed with how it played out (and that might be because HE WAS SO CLOSE TO LEAVING IT ALL BEHIND FOREVER). For me, the revelation of Jesse finally catching on to all of Walt’s evil-doings is as important (if not more so) as how the story ends and I didn’t like how forced it felt tonight.

• emmanuel says:

Forced?!! are u kidding me? the show has 5 episodes left, everything is just coming into place from the past 5 seasons. when the hell could have jessey knew?

• Cheeky says:

I agree. They had to rush it a little, and people seem to forget that Jesse had already assumed Walt of poisoning Brock the first time, so it doesn’t seem that ridiculous that he’d jump there again. I’ve seen worse stretched plots than this.

4. Jackie says:

Aaron Paul is amazing in all his scenes but tonight he (and Jesse) broke my heart.
    Walt is truly evil

5. Lk says:

OMG OMG OMG OMG

I have been reduced to just making grunting noises and frothing at the mouth after watching this show. I don’t see how any television series can ever top episodes like this…

6. joe says:

what confuses me is at what point in time would walt have ever had access to Brock? To poison him by flower or ricin

• Jerry says:

In the season 5A premiere Saul gives Walter the leftover berries back after admitting he did give one to Brock. Probably when he stopped by with a rent check

• debra says:

He gave him back the ricin cigarette, not the berries. He could just throw the berries away if he was the one who gave it to Brock. Vince Gilligan has always said they made up their own backstory that Walt gave the poison to Brock. All Saul said was that he didn’t know a kid would end up in the hospital. Saul isn’t dumb, he’d know if Walt told him to give the kid a berry that it wasn’t just a delicious snack. Saul’s part was getting Huell to lift the cigarette off Jesse so Jesse would think Gus took it & poisoned Brock.

• seanini says:

i remember reading that he got Saul to sneak the poison into Brock’s juice box!

• Whatever says:

I read the same interview. The backstory to the poisoning was that the ricin was put in Brock’s juice Box at school. I thought the article said Walt did it though. Saul only stole the ricin from Jessie.

7. bob says:

He poisoned Brock with Lily of the Valley, not ricin. Saul–probably unknowingly–delivered the poison (cand? juice box).

8. renee says:

Ok, but how did Jesse figure that out by looking at his cigarettes?

• Valarie says:

It was when he went to look for his weed that had been pic pocketed that he realized it. Instead all he had was his cigarettes which then made him realize with both of those things right in front of him that it was Walt who had poisoned Brock which he had originally thought anyways but Walt convinced him it was Gus.

9. Mark says:

Still dont get tge ricin deal. Hes standin there and figures out all 3 of them were in in it? And it wasnt ricin anyway thay brock ingested. Im lost. How the hell did he pull out old pack of ciggs and see ricin cig missing amd thought. Walt saul heull did it? Makes no sense.

10. kev says:

makes no sense – jesse knew the ricin was out of the picture. why is he now pissed that it is missing…?

• Sean says:

His pot was missing and realized it was Huell that pick pocketed him. But then after some thought he put together that Huell also could’ve done the same with his ricin cig all those episodes ago. Also at this time he’s having negative thoughts about Walt playing him this whole time so he surmises that Walt was also playing him into thinking Gus took the cig when in fact Walt had Saul take it off Jesse and also have Saul give Brock some Lily of the Valley. He’s not pissed that the ricin is missing he’s just looking at the cigarettes when he’s putting the awful realization in his head that Walt had poisoned a kid and tricked Jesse to take down Gus.

• rotobrian says:

Sean is right.

This is a little confusing but this is what happened:

Huell took the weed off him.

Back during the Gus episodes, Huell secretly pick pocketed the resin because walt was planning on using it for Gus at one point. When Brock didn’t die from the lily of the valley, Jesse felt guilty, blaming himself for Brock being poisoned. Walt then planted the resin in the vacuum and then helped Jesse search for it. When they found it, Jesse knew he wasn’t the cause of Brock’s poisoning. But Walt took the resin. Jesse didn’t have it in his possession after that point.

So when Huell pick pocketed the weed in this episode, Jesse looks at the pack of cigs where the resin USED to be stored, and he thought, “hmmm…if Huell could pick pocket me that easily maybe he did it with the resin way back when.”

It’s a stretch for him to come to that realization this far down the line, literally seconds before his ticket out of town is being punched.

But…I can forgive them this one small hiccup.

• It’s ricin, not resin. And the one that Jesse found in the roomba vaccum was a fake ricin cig — Walt made a fake one with salt. The real one is taped to the back of his wall outlet plate next to his bed.

I think Hank left early (cancelled his 3 o’clock), because after he told Gomez to pull his men off the recon at Saul’s office, he went there to spy/follow Jesse himself.

As a result, I think he followed Jesse to Walt’s home, and in the next episode he will stop Jesse before he lights the match. Just my guess.

• Tony says:

I think some are feeling this is far down the line because for us, it is. However, we have to keep in mind the timeline of the show only takes place during a year span. So for Jesse, these events are still a bit fresh.

• Ryno says:

Tony, you’re totally correct. jesse’s blowout after putting the pieces together while on the curb were obviously going to happen, but his epiphany didn’t quite click with me because those memories are quite hazy. but then again, i’m not a completely avid study-the-plot-on-the-internet kinda fan. they could’ve thrown in in a mental flashback of a conversation or something to tie it together. Jesse obviously had the right to blow out, and after reading these comments i remember all from earlier episodes, but i still don’t even recall Huell stealing the ricin before Brock was killed. idk, just my two cents.

• j says:

small hiccup? what about the series of events that occur because of jesse’s animosity to walt/saul due to this hiccup!

11. Tony says:

I’ll have to rewatch the episode to see what Jesse actually said. I was under the impression he figures out the ricin had been lifted, that Walt had Saul/Huell do it (because if I’m not mistaken, he even made that accusation towards Walt when he had him at gunpoint) and that Walt manipulated the situation to implicate Gus. I think tonight was a perfect storm of Jesse putting the pieces together. But again, I’d have to rewatch because so much was happening.

12. susiebell1017@gmail.com says:

I am disappointed in the inconsistency of the ricin v.s. lily of the valley; it seems like the writers might have forgotten the prior episode. If it turns out that Jesse and Saul are “mistaken” about Walt and the ricin, so what? We are still being asked to believe it was Walt and the flower berries. It’s like a bad game of “Clue.” Jesse and Walt, Jr. are the only characters worth caring about anymore, and perhaps Hank. As with “The Sopranos,” I have lost interest in the show because the main characters have lost their redeeming qualities.

• LPala says:

You’ve watched this show and were expecting the main characters to have redeeming qualities? Wow.

• bwangleon says:

You know the show’s called Breaking *BAD*, right?

• Rich says:

There are absolutely no inconsistencies. The ricin/lily storyline is brilliant is makes perfect sense. Here’s a summary.
      1. Walt/Saul poison Brock with Lily of the Valley.
      2. Walt has Saul/Huel pickpocket the ricin cig from Jesse in attempt to make Jesse think that Gus has stolen it.
      3. Walt convinces Jesse that Gus has poisoned Brock with ricin. Remember that Gus has killed children before and Walt uses this point to convince Jesse of Gus’s involvement with Brock.
      4. When the true poisoning agent is revealed (Lily) Jesse realizes it was not Gus. He also realizes that the ricin cig must still be out there and he is obsessing about finding it.
      5. Walt makes a fake ricin cig using salt which he and Jesse “find” in the Roomba vac.
      6. When Jesse is searching for his weed he realizes Huel lifted it from his pocket. While also searching his pockets he finds a pack of cigarettes which triggers the realization about what actually happened with the ricin cig. That is, Jesse realizes that Walt conspired with Saul to lift the cig to frame Gus for Brock’s poisoning.
      7: BOTTOM LINE: JESSE NOW KNOWS THAT WALT POISONED BROCK. HE MAY NOT KNOW HOW OR WITH WHAT EXACTLY, BUT HE KNOWS. THIS REALIZATION TRIGGERS HIS MELTDOWN.

13. TV Gord says:

Week three of Talking Bad. Week three of audio problems off the top. It’s getting to be a running gag, at this point.

14. robb says:

Is it my imagination, or did Saul just confess to Jesse that he did help Walt poison Brock?
    Also, if Walt didn’t poison Brock, why did he go bonkers after getting the call from Saul? His reaction to Jesse’s theory makes me think he must have been involved.

• neha says:

Saul DID help poison Brock. For Walt. There have been at least a half a dozen times where Saul and/or Walt have either admitted to it or hidden evidence about it. Not to mention, how many times they have shown the Lily plant in Walt’s house (with ominous music playing the background).

15. LPala says:

Re the Ricin/Lily of the Valley poison question: Jesse had an epiphany. He didn’t figure things out, it just came to him in a flash. One time someone said something shocking to me and my life flashed before my eyes – not the whole thing, but events in the past that seemed unconnected suddenly made sense. It’s like that.

16. Barbraluvstennis says:

I don’t care about the ricin…that is not the point. This was clearly a study of Jesse and his need for some kind of love, caring and respect..coupled with monumental mistrust, guilt and rage. His “epiphany ” was the culmination of what he has done, what Walt has done and what they did together.. I think he feels he has been touched by the devil and evil and he is completely falling apart..It was a difficult episode if you have any feelings at all for Jesse.

17. Raj says:

At first i was confused of how Jesse could have jumped to the idea that walt poisoned Brock after looking at a pack of cigerrets and finding nothing else in his pockets. but after reading the comments i get it. Jesse has already figured out that Walt has been manipulating from the start and that he has lied to him more than he really knows. Saul doesnt want jesse to smoke weed right before meeting “the guy”, so jesse puts the dope in his pocket. Jesse pulls out the pack of cigerretts that supposed to hold the dope with it, but the dope isnt there or anywhere on his person. He must have figured Huell/Saul lifted the dope out of his pocket without his knowledge. The opened pack of cigerettes looks very similiar to the pack that held the missing ricin. Then BOOM. that was when he made the connection. Huell/Saul did the same thing with the pack that held the ricin. Missing ricin= Walt convincing Jesse that Gus poisoned Brock. Jesse was once again manipulated by Walt, and worse, put a kid into the hospital trying to do it… great writing, but could have been a bit more obvious so that the lesser intellectuals like myself could have seen that. still great tho.

• kvz says:

BOOM! Thank you. I did not see in any of the other comments that the weed was IN the cigarette box. Therefore it still eluded me how Jesse would make the connection. Now I can sleep.

• Huell says:

It’s also why Huell said “excuse me” angrily as he bumped Jesse. The bump is when a pickpocket makes the lift. They showed the “excuse me” to highlight that. I’m going to go back and see I’d he does the same in earlier episodes.

• fattyZ says:

Ok I had to read down this far and look up some of the names and stuff but I finally get it, It is a stretch for them to expect us to be following that close for that long. It’d be different if you were watching whole seasons at once then you’d be able to remember it all. I can’t remember what happened last week all that well never mind last year.

18. neha says:

BEST EPISODE YET. Once I saw Huell steal the weed, I knew it was only minutes until Jesse figured it out. I don’t know if I really buy that Jesse would set the house on fire, knowing that two innocent children could possibly get hurt.

19. neha says:

Am I the only one who’s a bit annoyed at how many people are confused with the whole “Did Walt poison Brock with ricin or Lily plant” thing. It was such a major plot, that they’ve alluded to or straight up explained many, many times.

• Nixon939 says:

Ya no doubt. If you can’t even pay attention enough to follow a plot line that is straight up told to the audience multiple times don’t complain about being confused.

20. Karen says:

Aaron Paul is a God of some kind, I’m sure of it! The end.

21. TV Gord says:

I feel as though we are each five moves away from solving our own Rubik’s Cubes.

22. Rob says:

The way I see it, the fact that Jesse lost the ricin weighed pretty heavily on him (as shown in the beginning of Season 5). The realization that the ricin cigarette could have been lifted from him, and that Walt would have had to have a hand in that, was all the convincing Jesse needed to prove that Walt had a hand in Brock’s poisoning. Is the logic airtight, considering that Jesse knew it was Lily of the Valley? Of course not. But remember the state of mind that Jesse’s been in all season. In my opinion, the hint of Walt’s potential involvement in losing the ricin cigarette was enough to make Jesse jump to the conclusion that Walt was involved in the poisoning. Yes, it’s clear that Jesse jumped to his conclusion, but I could believe that even the slightest amount of Walt’s involvement (considering that Jesse has finally caught onto how often Walt has manipulated him) would be all Jesse needed to set off his rage. He’s very clearly not being driven by logic, he’s being driven by pure anger. So yeah, I think I can accept the jump of logic here.

23. Beau Johansen says:

This whole situation first struck me as a stretch… I Googled this immediately to see if there was some factoid I was forgetting, but there’s not. Jesse knows Brock was poisoned by Lily of the Valley, not ricin. And Walt sealed up the lie by helping Jesse find the capsule in his house, now replaced with table salt instead of ricin, Walt keeping the real poison for himself (in the light socket). How could Jesse possibly have the clairvoyance to know that Walt used this random berry on Brock? This was mentioned to Jesse by none other than the doctors, or Brock’s mom, whoever, at the hospital. Brock’s final diagnosis had NOTHING to do with the ricin- for all Jesse knew (until his roadside “epiphany”), the ricin was flushed by Walt after being discovered in his Roomba. It doesn’t add up right away, atleast it didn’t for me… Hence finding this post.
    The only way I can justify it to myself is if, in Jesse’s revelation, he suddenly finds more resolve in the idea that he couldn’t have possibly lost that single “lucky” cigarette (the one he was CONSTANTLY conscious about, constantly looking at) in his own house, to be found by his Roomba (which, as Jesse said right before opening the thing, had already been checked a week prior to the cleaning spree). In the midst of Walt’s house of lies, and also with the acknowledgement that he’s been Walt’s puppet all along (an acknowledgement Jesse just revealed to Walt in the desert)- Jesse makes the realization that Brock is not a victim of coincidence, but he is rather one of the many strings of the puppeteer, the mastermind, Walt. I think this was a perfect method of executing Jesse’s enlightenment. However a little more in-episode insight into what’s going on in Jesse’s head would have been helpful.

• Barbraluvstennis says:

totally agree…Jesse is enlightened and full of enormous rage and he is scared…he is scared of himself and realizes he is capable of evil along with the mastermind…

24. BC says:

Jesse’s ‘epiphany’ is believable…but the words during his tirade are incorrect. He screams at Saul: ‘you helped him (Walt) poison Brock!’. The missing ricin cig supports Jesse’s recent clarity with regard to Walt’s continued manipulation of Jesse…not the poisoning. THAT, IN FACT MUST still be speculation on Jesse’s part but this line blows it all up. Brock did not suffer from ricin poisoning, but rather lily of the valley. Jesse knows this….but the lines during the scene in Saul’s office this evening defy this fact from previous episodes regarding the ricin/lily saga. If I’m tracking this correctly, one simple incorrect sentence in a very emotional scene (Aaron Paul’s eyes were about to pop out of his skull in this scene) could really damage the most important plot arc of the entire series.

• Tony says:

I think Jesse’s logic is that Walt had to have something to do with poisoning Brock. Walt pretty much turns on the manipulation and convinces Jesse that Gus, who’s dealings have involved children getting hurt, had to be the one to have set this up in order to get Jesse to kill Walt. Now that Jesse knows how Walt operates and how quickly he can spin things, Walt was ultimately the one who used the poisoning to get Jesse to do what he wanted

• Nixon939 says:

Except that Walt and Saul did poison Brock with Lilly of the valley so I am not sure I understand how the line doesn’t fit. Also, I believe there is mention at some point of the fact that the Lilly poisoning had the potential to be lethal which Walt was fully aware of. However, Walt goes ahead anyway deciding it is worth the risk to defeat Gus and regain control of Jesse.

25. hoyjack says:

Jesse will find out about Jane before this is all over. It has to happen.

• John says:

I agree. Probably during a final showdown with Walt. The only person who knows about Jane is Walt, so he will need to tell Jesse. Not sure how this can unfold, but it will be the ultimate end to their relationship, and probably the end of one of them.

26. Llllllll says:

The missing ricin is what turned Jesse against Gus and made him agree to the plan to kill him. Further confirming that Walt has been manipulating him the whole time. Not to mention realization that Walt poisoned Brock.

27. Zach says:

This might just be my opinion but I don’t think he lit up a joint in Saul’s house, I think it was the ricin cigarette and that pieced it together for him.

28. Heather Noble says:

This was a nail biter; the whole time my 80 year old dad is going “I don’t get it with this show; dont’ like it” and me and my daughter are breathlessly watching and holding hands. It took me a minute to realize the huel pickpocket ricin connection….then it was a blistering pace unlike the rest of the episode. Fantastic. I fear this may end Jesse and although I think all of us know Walter will die in the end; nobody wants to see Jesse succumb to the evil that has subsumed Mr. White. Jesse and his soft spot for kids just tugs at our heart strings because deep down, despite everything, he still has a moral code he upholds…brings me back to the ‘no kids’ promise he got from Fring….and I just rewatched the episode with his little brother who was smoking pot and Jesse took the heat for it, then crushed up the doobie on the sidewalk telling little brah it was ‘skunk weed anyway’. I would very much like Jesse to be the hero that walks away intact….

29. emmanuel says:

people who say this episode was Forced?!! are u kidding me? the show has 5 episodes left, everything is just coming into place from the past 5 seasons. when the hell could have Jesse knew? when the show was over?! lol wow, thank god that u people are not the one writing the show hahaha

30. jgyanksma says:

what happened to jesses girlfriend. in what episode did brock get killed when did all this ricin switching happen????

• emmanuel says:

Brock didn’t die he just got poisoned from the lily plant but Walter and soul had Jesse believe that Brock took the ricin poisoned cigarette from Jessie’s cigarette pack when in reality soul took the ricin cig from Jesse pack so they would trick Jesse and have him believe that guss tried to poison Brock so Walter would have Jesse kill guss because Jesse was too hesitant to do so.

• jgyanksma says:

ok i understand that now but where have brock and his mother been why havent we seen thm in a while?

• Hannah says:

Jesse broke up with her after Walt convinced him that in order to have a long and successful relationship Jesse would need to tell her what he did (Gus, Gale, etc) and said “if she really loves you she’ll understand” (another part of his awful manipulation). We don’t see the breakup but I think Jesse made the decision that in order to keep himself, Brock and Andrea safe he had to leave them; a decision Walk knew he’d make (otherwise Walk probably would have killed them too eventually for what they knew).

• jgyanksma says:

Ahh thats what i was wondering because i never saw them leave or be killed and i was so confused because ive seen every episode. Thats terrible Jesse belonged with them, they were the best thing he had in his life. Walts such a jerk to jesse, i hope jesse is the one to put an end to this

31. Best recap of this episode I’ve read tonight. That last paragraph gave every reaction I was feeling. I’ve never watched anything and my heart drop to my stomach like it did tonight. I will die watching these last five. DIE.

32. Bill says:

This is too much of a call back to be effective and seemingly has come out of nowhere. Do better Vince

• You must be watching a different show. On Breaking Bad, nothing is forgotten. Ever. Hank even referenced several things that occurred across several seasons in the first episode this year. And I don’t know how, but I suspect Jesse will somehow find out about Jane.

• Tony says:

Again, the events in the show are still fresh to the characters due to the timeline. So while it’s going a bit back for us, its not for the characters.

33. Michael says:

Jesse only had a cigarette with salt in it. Having already lost it once, (found in the vacuum but replaced with salt) how would he reach the conclusion that Walt poisoned the kid? The real ricin is still behind that outlet cover in Walt’s house.

34. Xander Halvorsen says:

Like someone mentioned before, Jesse had an epiphany of sorts. Also, if you re-watch the beginning of S4:E13 “Face Off,” around the 4:50 mark, Jesse gives us a little insight into how his thought process works, or “puts things together.” When speaking with the FBI agents at the hospital regarding the ricin, Jesse is asked how he randomly picks such a specific poison out of thin air to tell his girlfriend to warn the doctors about. Jesse then goes on to tell the FBI agents that maybe he saw it on “House” or the “Discovery Channel.” Jesse specifically says, “Sometimes your brain just makes these connections.” FBI responds, “Does it?” Jesse alertly sits up and leans towards the agents and answers, “Mine does.”

Now what’s interesting about this, is that in Jesse’s misdirection to the FBI agents he’s actually foreshadowing exactly what we witnessed at the end of tonight’s episode. Jesse is a person that acts on feel or his gut, and a lot of times when his “brain just makes these connections,” he is often right. The problem with Jesse is he is whimsical and not a “thinker,” at least not a diabolical/meticulous one like Mr. White, so he is easily swayed from his convictions, especially at the hands of Mr. White.

Tonight’s scene was really the first time Jesse was able to “own” his thoughts and reveal the truth about Mr White’s manipulative ways (something we as viewers have watched all along). However, no sooner than Jesse is calling out Mr. White for the master manipulator that he is, Mr. White’s darkness is eclipsing Jesse’s brightness of an epiphany. Jesse appers to almost be swallowed whole Mr White’s dark cloak of an embrace. Jesse actually looks to almost go limp while Mr White embraces him, suggesting that any soul Jesse once had has now been completely devoured by complete darkness, ironically named Mr. White.

So all we’re left with until next week is a raged filled Jesse charging into Walt’s house (hell) throwing gasoline on the Devil’s lair itself, and what happens when you throw gasoline on a fire? Should be an exciting, diabolical, and incendiary last five episodes.

***Any of those familiar with Shakespeare, Othello especially, should see a lot of parallels between Iago/Othello and WW/Jesse. Good drama stands the test of time and its underlying themes are almost always universal

35. Azerty says:

I hope Jesse is the one who write “Heisenberg” on the wall of Walt’s house. Amazing episode, Aaron Paul should be the performer of the week he nailed every scene.

• Lyn says:

Yes; I hadn’t given it much thought since the opening episode, but when Jesse went charging in there I thought, “Well, sure, who else would have painted that on the wall?!”

• jgyanksma says:

i agree i was happy it is jesse that does all that to the house its hard to be fond of walt anymore

• Hannah says:

I came to the conclusion while watching this episode that Walt inspires genuine revulsion in me now. The way he manipulates everyone around him is truly awful. I really hope that writing “Heisenberg” on the wall of the house is enough to awake suspicion in the DEA and not cause Hank any trouble if anyone ever saw the DVD. I feel Walt needs to die to end this and at the same time I want him brought to justice.

36. Kelly says:

Changing the focus away from Jesse, I thought the confession Wakt made was brilliant. Although it shows how Walt will stop at nothing to prove he is untouchable, the contents were jaw dropping. This was one of the best scenes in television I have ever scene. The writers continue to amaze me.

Jesse’s interrogation was so touching, despite his lack of speaking. Jesse has been beaten down by Walt so badly, he will not turn on him.

37. jpetro99 says:

I thought the episode was obvious and amazing. After reading some of these posts I wonder if you are even watching the episodes. I agree that at first I was trying to figure out why Jesse was staring at the cig pack but then it hit me that he didn’t have his weed…that it had been pick pocketed again by saul or his guy…and immediately made the connection to the risin.

I also want to make mention regarding Mr. White that it is SO difficult to root against him now. I have spent the last 5 seasons rooting for him to come out on top and now that things really start to “break bad” we all want him to go down. It only makes sense to have Walt come out on top.

38. WhoCanYouSue says:

Kudos to Aaron Paul, but that was a total stretch. And, Saul would fight back…no way would he allow Jesse to knock him around. Saul’s got backbone.

39. Chris Milton says:

Long live Heisenberg! Walt will never go down!

40. Barbara says:

I get how Jesse made the connection that Saul/Huell stole the ricin, thereby the connection to Walt having the ricin and then planting it in the Roomba (Jesse doesn’t know it was salt). But then how does he connect the lily of the valley with Walt or Saul/Huell?

41. Bruce says:

Jesse is a tool. Gus and Mike both played him like a violin. Walt should have gotten rid of him seasons ago.

• jgyanksma says:

accept walt has been using him as a tool more than gus and mike

• Bruce says:

I don’t see it that way. Heisenburg has saved Cap’n Cook’s life on more than one occasion. Jesse would be nothing if not dead or in jail if it weren’t for Walt. True, they’re both career criminals now, but certainly no worse than Mike or Gus were.

42. pouet says:

Honestly I don’t know how you all remember about all these ricin/lily story. I’ve watched the whole 4 seasons prior to the 5th last year and I had to read all these comments before I can start thinking “oh yeah… well I don’t really remember…”

43. BillyD says:

Jesse knows that Huell/Saul lifted his pot, and concludes that Huell/Saul also lifted the ricin cig earlier. Jesse realizes that Walt has been manipulating him all along. So Jesse now speculates that if Walt blamed Gus for poisoning Brock, it somehow must’ve been Walt who actually poisoned Brock. Jesse knows that Brock was not poisoned with ricin, but that’s irrevelant, Jesse just figures that somehow Walt was responsible and that somehow Saul was also involved. Jesse is not interested in the details of how the Lily poison was delivered, he just feels in his guts that Walt somehow did it and Saul helped.

• jeremey says:

How can you say that Jesse knowing Brock wasn’t poisoned by the ricin is irrelevant??!! Its VERY relevant. I think this was just a bad job by the writers having Jesse jump to this realization. But hey maybe next episode Walt plays with his mind some more, tells him to calm down and remember Brock wasn’t poisoned by ricin and that they “found” the cigarette.

44. Bruce says:

I guess I can buy that plot development in that Jesse can’t really think things through. He’s impulsive and reckless. He’s the reason that Walt and Gus “fell out” in the first place. Everybody, and I mean *everybody* uses him. His own parents won’t have anything to do with him. Walt has a soft spot for Jesse and it looks like it’s about to cost him dearly.

45. Rosie White says:

Why would Todd call Walt to tell him of the developments with Declan and the subsequent change in management? I thought Walt was completely out of the picture. Also I noticed Todd and his crew leaving the restaurant hauling the tanker with the goods from the train robbery.

46. Tim says:

Hank will stop Jesse from torching Walt’s house. Now that Jesse is in this frame of mind, they will work together to take Walt down. Hank needs evidence to prove that Walt is Heisenberg, and that he (Hank) is NOT, according to Walt’s confession. Therefore he will make it himself. Hank will be the one to write HEISENBERG on the walls.

47. Xaznzax says:

I love this show like no other….BUT Jessie’s “magical” realization is the weakest turn of writing in the entire series. The “Saul stole my weed, so he must have stole the Ricin Cigarette, so Walt must have poisoned Brock with Lily of the Valley” is just TOO much of a leap to make. Especially for someone like Jessie’s who is not exactly Sherlock to begin with and has been in a spiralling mental state for what seems like years. Talk about your pack of smokes being a cheap deus ex machina.

48. Who Me? says:

Smells like some Bad writing is Breaking through with this last episode.

49. Chris in Boston says:

Did anyone else catch that during the scene in the desert with Walt, Saul, and Jesse… that when Jesse again accused Walt of killing Mike, that this time Walt did not deny it?

• John says:

Walt has already denied the killing of Mike enough times. His silence is basically telling Jesse that he already answered that question.

50. Cheeky says:

Saul’s comment about Jesse being immune to good advice I thought spoke pretty true to character. He is definitely someone who, if he could, would go back in time and do everything over again