Exclusive: Shake It Up! Star Zendaya Set to Get Zapped By Disney Channel in 2014

Get More: Casting News

ZENDAYADisney Channel is staying in business with teen phenom Zendaya, tapping the Shake It Up! star to headline a comedy-adventure movie titled Zapped, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Last month, Disney Channel confirmed that Shake It Up! will sign off this fall after 78 episodes. At the time, the network announced plans to collaborate with the actress-singer-author on an original TV pic.

RELATED | First Look: Girl Meets World Casts Riley’s Dream Crush

Zapped, based on the book Boys Are Dogs, centers on 16 year-old Zoey Stevens (Zendaya), a skilled dancer and straight-A student who is having a hard time adjusting to a new high school, a new and klutzy dance squad, a new step-dad, three new rowdy step-brothers and an unruly dog. But things change when a dog training app on her smart phone begins to somehow control all the boys around her.

The cast also includes Chanelle Peloso (Radio Rebel), Spencer Boldman (Lab Rats), Emilia McCarthy (Hemlock Grove) and Adam DiMarco (Radio Rebel).

The movie will premiere on Disney Channel as well as on Canada’s Family Channel in 2014.

Also in the pipeline for the crazy-busy Zendaya: The tween-centric advice book Between U and Me (out Aug. 27) and her self-titled debut album (due Sept. 27).

Comments (24)

• I thought this was a remake of the Scott baio movie from 1982, oh well

Comment by Bender – August 23, 2013 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too!!!! (sigh)

Comment by nikki – August 23, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gi Zendaya

Comment by tiffany – August 23, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for her, but her dance sucks and her act more, and she more more

Comment by YeahOK – August 23, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What? Have no idea what you are trying to say

Comment by Belle – August 23, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me niether

Comment by amani brown – August 28, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think zendaya is awesome and same with bella thorn me and my bff taeya did report for school on them for school so we no

Comment by caligirl1526 – August 26, 2013 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ok I’m just gunna say I believe ur opinion is wrong Zendaya is and awesome person a very talented dancer and is a even more great more romodel and person so I’m not trying to say don’t express ur opinion but I’m gunna tell u I’m going to express mine rite bak!! So if u think Zendaya Marie Coleman is a bad dancer ur crazy! If u think she is a bad actress ur crazier!! And mostly if u think her herself is suckish u have lost ur mind dude that’s so retarted and idiotic of u to think that srry!!! #stop #being #a #retard #and #idiot #i #believe #my #opioion #has #more #logic #and #makes #more #sense

Comment by Bye felocia – April 1, 2014 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her album drops on September 17.

Comment by Jereomy – August 23, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry Go Zendaya

Comment by tiffany – August 23, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shall we start the countdown for when this Disney star becomes an unhinged drug addict/teen mother/nude model? Seems to happen to all of them…

Comment by Sheila – August 23, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not Zendaya! She doesn’t have a inner slut in her. She was raised well so stop

Comment by Kenzie – August 27, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not this girl, she’s a good kid with her head on straight.

Comment by Mandy's Mom – August 23, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zendaya will NOT fall into the drug,alcohol,and party girl trap like so many before her!! she’s BRITE,BEAUTIFUL,AND way too good hearted to let her young fans down like that! Not trying to put pressure on her,but I believe her STRONG up bringing will shine thru!!

Comment by lee mcintyre – August 27, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought shake it up would last longer :*****(

Comment by Cj – September 8, 2013 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love zendaya she is a amazing person and her personality is great to I love her dancing singing acting every thing about her she is just one of those people you never get tired of so ayyy go zswaggers love u forever

Comment by Delvioncrawford Crawford – September 29, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zendaya is awesome and shes very talented i cant wait for the new movie!

Comment by ttswagg – November 7, 2013 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Be nice to Zendaya you can think what you want but it most likely won’t happen. Zendaya is a smart girl she can do what she wants. I agree that most Disney stars do become a negative role model, but don’t guess that it will happen to everyone
    I wish shake it up lasted longer.

Comment by tina hanter – November 28, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zendaya is smart,beutiful,and a wonderful person she will not let her young fans down like Miley did so be nice to her people!would you like it somebody came up to you and said”your a horrible singer,dancer,actress”!?!?i wish shake it up would’ve lasted longer,I remember when the ad was on Disneyfor the premier!SO SAD!

Comment by Cadence0207 – December 5, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hiiiii zendaya

Comment by trae – December 19, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear zendaya
    Happy birthday you always you deep in my heart part of my heart everytime we touch you touch my heart and mind deep selp every night a part of sky thank of you of time of god make you be free in my heart of soul of every with god of time with him we ear a part of the world god did make this world is beutfall around of dream a part me my self a time future from heavin to shine of my self spitit of 5 000 years a go in my dream god wake up to see my smile on my face my fellings a bout my live not fell good thank of you every one of one star in your eyes lrder of god and with you 24 years for deep in heavin every deep in sea I see you smile in my in my heart make comment you ps I am working out I have your book of zendaya and music of cd of my live I know your birthday is September just like my September 1 with 20 all my love for you your birthday is not long you ear the sun I am the star to shine on face forever 247 every night of my live for you

Comment by kevin – January 27, 2014 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post