Glee: Meet Sam's Season 5 Love Interest

glee Phoebe StroleGlee is dipping back into the Spring Awakening talent pool, and it appears Chord Overstreet’s Sam will be the primary beneficiary.

TVLine has confirmed that Phoebe Strole, who starred alongside Lea Michele and ex-Glee guest star Jonathan Groff during Awakening‘s original Broadway run, is joining the Fox dramedy’s Season 5 cast in a recurring role.

RELATED | Glee Exclusive: Demi Lovato Joins Season 5 Cast for Major Arc

Per our sister site Deadline, Strole will Penny Owen, a sophomore in college who wants to get into nursing school and who becomes Sam’s new love interest.

RELATED | Glee Boss Ryan Murphy Shares First Details of Cory Monteith Tribute Episode, Reveals How Finn Won’t Die

Michele broke the news of Strole’s casting Thursday on Twitter.

1. Amanda says:

Well there goes all my hope for some canon Blam. :\

2. Brennan says:

I approve. She was hysterical in the movie Hamlet 2.

3. lauren says:

Don’t care about Sam. Nor do i care about ANOTHER Love interest for him to have.

4. S says:

Sam (and Chord) needs to go away. He will never be the leading man Ryan Murphy is trying so hard to make him. Sam was a decent character for .02 seconds in the second season and now he’s insufferable.

• Mena says:

I agree with this. Blaine and Sam friendship was ridiculous. Chord is a nice singer and an OK actor but not any leading man. I think the guest actress is really good and would take over any scenes with Chord. We’ll see how it goes.

• O-Town says:

Boy, you’re just mean. That, or upset that “Sam Evans” never wrote you back after you sent that fan letter to him, addressed to William McKinley High School, with no address and a Chiquita banana sticker for a stamp.

• fred says:

100% true

5. LC says:

I hope this is Chord’s last season. I really don’t care about him at all and his character has become annoying and overkilled. Let him stay in Lima and then after this season shift everything just to the NY characters.

• Tai says:

Lets not. Kurt is ok in small doses. A whole show focused on him and Rachel would be unbearable.

• dude says:

Any episode that spends more than a minute on Kurt is unbearable.

• u have no taste says:

What a joke Kurt, Rachel and Santana are the only bearable characters left on this show. Blam and the new cast are all mediocre at best.

• the real talent is in NY says:

You have no taste is you prefer boring characters and bland singers of Lima over inter sting characters played by decent actors and singers.

• Tom says:

I hope this is Naya`s last season and that Santana will be the character getting less screen time, not Kurt or Sam . She is an annoying bitch who is bearable only in small doses!

• O-Town says:

Naya Rivera’s musical talent far outweighs Kurt’s drag queen operatic voice. Sorry, sweet fella’ I’m sure, but eesh, he makes me blush when he sings.

6. Amy says:

I was kind of hoping she’d by reunited with Lea as someone in NY, but I’m just thrilled to see the talented Phoebe Strole on Glee.

7. T. says:

Please, give us a scene with her and Lea Michele’s Rachel.

8. Claire says:

I hope we see the return of the slightly dim, but lovable Sam from Season 2 rather than the self-righteous dolt he became last season. I really want to like him again. Crossing my fingers that this new girl gets a little character development too. At least she won’t need to worry about being besieged by angry Bram shippers–there weren’t any.

• dude says:

I didn’t find him a self-righteous dolt but they do need to brighten him up a little bit. He was crossing legally brain dead territory by the end of the season.

9. Tom Charles says:

*sighs* Sam’s never going away is he?

10. Sofia says:

Wow! Another soulmate for Sam! I guess they keep trying to make him relevant.

• dude says:

You do realize not everyone you date is a soul mate right? Neither Quinn, Mercedes, Santana or Brittany were ever his “soulmate” and I don’t think there were ever billed to be.

• S says:

Yes they were – according to Sam’s perspective. He proposed to Quinn. Told Mercedes they were meant to be together and harassed her until she gave in. He fake-married Brittany. The writers want us to think he’s naive and romantic but really he’s a douche who has creepy obsessions over girls and thinks every girl who smiles at him is his soulmate.

• Claire says:

I think calling it creepy is stretching it, but they’ve made it pretty clear for three seasons now that when Sam decides he’s into a girl, he’s all in. He’s looking for a soulmate wherever he can find one. I wouldn’t be surprised if he pushes it with this new girl. The second episode of this season is supposed the prom. He’ll probably ask her to his prom after one meeting. Maybe she’ll be the girl who tells him to take a hike (though he’ll no doubt win her over in the end).

• S says:

I definitely consider it creepy. He couldn’t take no for an answer with Quinn or Mercedes. And he jumped at the chance to claim Brittany was his soulmate immediately after she and Santana broke up– after trying to play the nice friend who’s just worried about her. Sam and Finn are the epitome of Nice Guy Syndrome™, with Blaine coming in a close second. That crap is creepy.

• Temperenace says:

And I’m sure that everyone that’s ever been to high school has met someone just like Sam.

• Claire says:

Actually, you can see why Sam and Blaine would get along. They’re both over zealous teenage boys who think misguided, over-the-top gestures are the best way to win someone over (remember the “Gap Attack”?).

11. Lina says:

Sam having a love interest. What an original concept.

12. Cherry says:

Sam and Blaine are the two weakest characters. They both need to leave.

13. keri says:

It sounds like she’ll be located in Lima, which makes it sound as if if Sam is staying put. Oh how I wanted Bram in NYC together! I love a ridiculous amount; I’m excited to see he’s getting a story!

14. Kobe Busia says:

Ok, so Sam is getting a new love interest? That’s cool, but why’s it gotta be a college sophomore? Why can’t it be someone he meets from another school who plans to go to the same college as he does (wherever that ends up being)? Anyway, I hope the writers take this in the right direction and try to make this potential romance solid and long-term, but honestly, I was hoping that he and Brittany would get back together.

• Claire says:

They’ll pair him with a college student who has at least a couple of years left in Lima because that is the best way to assure that Sam stays in Lima. They need to keep some link between the Lima side and the NYC side. When Blaine inevitably heads to New York, his friendship with Sam will be that link. I hope this doesn’t sound insensitive, but I fully expect the writers to try to substitute Sam into as much of the post-high school plan they had for Finn as possible.

• keri says:

I agree. Finn was the perfect link between Lima and NYC. And with him gone, they’re going to move Sam into the role. There’s no on else who could do it successfully. While I’d rather see him in NYC and for Lima to slowly dwindle away, that’s just not going to happen.

• Claire says:

Plus, pairing him with a college student will likely give them more opportunities to explore Sam’s insecurity about his intelligence. I can already picture him struggling to carry on conversations with her college friends (if Glee actually makes their college set a smart one).

15. mj says:

Sam just needs to go away. Nobody gives a damn about him anymore.

• Pia says:

Well, that can’t be true because I care about him verry much and I know plenty of people who feel the same…

• Anny says:

He has been my favourite character since his first appearance on Glee and is the main reason why I watch the show. And the fact that some hateful but very vocal people in the fandom are against him for obvious reasons doesn`t justify your opinion that ” nobody cares about him anymore”.

• keri says:

Um, I and a lot of other people do, thank you.

16. Fernanda says:

why Tina and Sam aren’t a couple?

17. LeSo says:

I’ve been a Glee fan since day one, and I have allowed myself to suspend reality on many occasions in order to enjoy this show for what it is. However, I must ask this question: With Kurt in NYC, Finn in college (until they officially kill him off), and Carol and Burt spending most of their time in DC, who is Sam living with?? I believe it was established when Sam returned in season three that he was staying with Finn and Kurt, and that his family was staying behind in Tennessee or Kentucky or wherever they moved to between seasons two and three. Since he is still a high school student and potentially a minor (I’m not sure how old he is supposed to be on the show at this point), are we expected to believe that he found a place to live on his own? If there is something that I don’t remember correctly from season four, please correct me if I’m wrong. I just thought it was strange that he appears to be on his own at this point, and that it doesn’t seem as though anyone felt it necessary to explain the changes in his situation.
    On the other hand, I suppose anything regarding Sam and his situation isn’t exactly worth analyzing anyway. The second they paired him with Brittany and the couple was given a combined five brain cells, I was absolutely done with his character. He was much more charming when he was just oblivious and going through his puppy love stage with Quinn.

• Hallie says:

I’ve wondered where Sam was living as well but in S4E17 when Blaine tries to give Sam money they make it seem like Sam’s family moved back and that his Dad was still struggling for the family.

“I’ve been a Glee fan since day one, and I have allowed myself to suspend reality on many occasions in order to enjoy this show for what it is”

– Exactly! I don’t know if its because I’m older than the average glee fan, but you have to take it as what it is and that’s a tv show.

18. The list of useless guest stars that Glee is using this season to try to survive is getting longer. great!

• Lyria says:

Usually I agree, but Phoebe was hilarious in the episode of 30 Rock she did, so hopefully they’ll give her some funny stuff.

• Laura says:

But Phoebe isn’t a guest star, though. So far they just have two, which is as many as they had last season and far less than they had in season one. At least they’re actually giving Demi and Adam storylines and not just useless spots like Josh Groban, Britney Spears and Olivia Newton-John.

I don’t think Glee is concerned with “surviving” anymore. They’re writing towards a season 6 conclusion, so a ratings drop doesn’t really concern the show anymore.

19. Anne says:

I never take them too seriously when they say recurring since it mostly means 2-3 episodes. I mean they made a big deal last season about Marley’s mom being recurring and we saw her what like 3 times?

20. the real talent is in NY so PS should be there says:

Poor Phoebe wasted on Sam and stuck in Lima.

21. Tblond says:

I think Sam is a much needed character in Glee. Especially since Finn is gone. Sam has the same sweet nature Finn did. As for Blaine. He is one in a million. Your negative comments are cruel. Its a tv show. Give it a break. Im extremely saddened by the loss of Cory. Go back on Netflix streaming and rewatch Glee from episode 1, Season 1. You c how Finn becomes a leader. Just relax and enjoy the show for its awakening us to some fabulous songs, singers and storylines. Im a huge Gleek and Im 63!

22. Staross says:

No just No ! They got to stop with Sam and his love interests. He has one or two each season. It’s boring and not original. And they should focus on more interesting characters with better singing voices.

23. Luke says:

Stop with all the Sam new love interest crap, seriously. Why a new love interest when he could fall in love with Quinn all over again? Ugh, Ryan. One more thing: S T O P with the newbies, nobody wants them.

24. BonnieFan1986 says:

God, another love interest for Sam?? >.< I am so done with this craptastic show. Samcedes is what pulled me in and now I'm bowing out!! I couldn't stomach Sam being with Brittany (that relationship was a joke and complete waste of time). It seems like whenever Glee strikes gold somewhere with a storyline, they tend to dust it under the rug like it never happened. Fine no closure for Samcedes. But what about giving Sam a storyline outside of having a girlfriend. Where does he want to go to college? Does he want to go to college? What are his dreams and aspirations? Where the hell does he live? Please Glee stop doing this!! Its time you start changing around here!

• weak says:

Samcedes, omg you are joking? Neither can handle drama to save there lives and glee is going give couple drama.

• BonnieFan1986 says:

I’m actually not joking. Samcedes represented something far more than you could possibly comprehend. Sam’s character, popular jock, who’s blond with the athletic body and what most media society believes is good looking. Now Mercedes on the other hand is not considered by most media society as beautiful. She’s plus size and African American. Now when Glee put them together, of course most Gleeks (especially Sam’s more vocal other ship’s fan base) didn’t but into it. But the media did. “Human Nature” was the second best selling single of the MJ episode. Their relationship was a little more mature. Sam told her he was gonna fight to get her back. He put her name in lights. Started a TT for her. And when they kissed, unlike most Glee couples, Mercedes did the mature thing. She told her then boyfriend, Shane, and then chose to find herself before she could truly give herself to Sam. Samcedes will ALWAYS be Glee’s most mature couple that the really just missed out on! Sorry. Not sorry!