Survivor: Blood Vs. Water Cast Revealed (Rupert, Again!) -- Plus: Several New Twists on Tap

Returning “favorites” (including, yes, Rupert) — will compete with loved ones (among them, a Big Brother champ) when CBS’ Survivor premieres its 27th edition, Blood Vs. Water, on Sept. 18.

Survivor Blood Vs Water Cast

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

Among the twists on tap for the new season, as detailed more thoroughly at Xfinity:

* The competition will actually start at nighttime, as each returning player and their loved one is stranded at a spot in the dark jungle.

* Almost straight away, each tribe will be forced to vote someone off. Those castoffs will be sent to Redemption Island — though their loved one has the option of taking their place. The first casualty of tribal council will engage in a three-way contest with the Redemption Island pair to decide whose torch gets snuffed and which two reclaim their buff. (Just prior to that duel, active players again have a chance to sub for their loved one.)

* The winner of each Redemption Island contest is awarded a clue about the Immunity Idol’s location — then must decide with whom to share it.

And now, the cast, per Xfinity:

RETURNING PLAYER: Tyson Apostol (Tocantins, Heroes Vs. Villains)
LOVED ONE: Rachel (girlfriend)

RETURNING PLAYER: Rupert Boneham (Pearl Islands, All-Stars, Heroes Vs. Villains)
LOVED ONE: Laura (wife)

RETURNING PLAYER: Aras Baskauskas (Panama–Exile Island)
LOVED ONE: Vytas (brother)

RETURNING PLAYER: Gervase Peterson (Borneo)
LOVED ONE: Marissa (niece)

RETURNING PLAYER: Kat Edorsson (One World)
LOVED ONE: Hayden (boyfriend and Big Brother 12 winner)

RETURNING PLAYER: Candice Cody (Cook Islands, Heroes Vs. Villains)
LOVED ONE: John (husband)

RETURNING PLAYER: Laura Morett (Samoa)
LOVED ONE: Clera (daughter)

RETURNING PLAYER: Monica Culpepper (One World)
LOVED ONE: Brad (husband)

RETURNING PLAYER: Colton Cumbie (One World)
LOVED ONE: Caleb (fiance)

RETURNING PLAYER: Tina Wesson (Australian Outback, All-Stars)
LOVED ONE: Katie (daughter)

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Fall TV Preview, News, Reality TV

1. liz says:

Oh no! Coulton *and* the return of Redemption island! What have us fans done to deserve this punishment????!

• Jerri says:

it was either this or have Hantz & family back for this run.

• liz says:

Haha that’s true. And I guess a choice between two evils……

• Mike says:

Why either of them? Rewarding bad behavior for the idea that is will raise ratings is just plain stupid! The casting department from the show has be awful last season and worse this season. People want people they can enjoy watching and hoping can win, not people they want to hate. Brandon Hantz is plain crazy, Coulton is flat out cruel, cruelty and crazy are not ways to win over ratings. I am a huge fan of the show, but until Coulton is gone count me out, he is not worth my time.

• tripoli says:

You are so right. I’m currently rewatching Brandon’s first season and he was unstable and creepy right from the start. There was no reason for him to ever be brought back. There is nothing enjoyable about watching someone who is clearly not in a propeor state of mind compete in a reality show. I love Survivor but if they continue to bring back vile people like Colton and unstable types like Brandon, I really can’t keep watching. The hate for Colton was so widespread and strong that it just boggles my mind that the show would think bringing him back was a good idea. Stil debating whether or not to watch this season. Not particularly interested in any of the returnees. And enough with Rupert. He’s so full of himself and not very good at playing the game.

• Evan says:

It’s working for Big Brother. Why not let Survivor ride the racism train. It’s a whole new look for the network.

• Daisy says:

Colton Come On………….
        HE IS A HORRIBLE PERSON.
        I may not even watch the season this year. I would like to but I can’t stand him. I hope he gets voted off first.

• Jerry says:

I agree the return of Colton has been a deal breaker for me. Way to much DRAMA.
      Oh well, perhaps season 28 will be better.

2. HT says:

Not to mention that it’s Hayden from BB12.

3. Ashlee says:

Seriously, Rupert playing a 4th time? I liked him on his first season, he was okay on the second, third time, I was over it. Now? Ugh. They really couldn’t get better people? I’m tired of the three-peats too.

• Vetle says:

I don’t know. Given how short-lived Tina’s second attempt was (and how long ago it was), it’s not that bad. Also, I’m kinda curious to see how Candice does (I knew about the cast a long time ago, but I didn’t remember her from the list). The really wasted spot imo is Monica, but I guess they wanted the husband. They could’ve had Natalie Bolton… *sigh*

Not sure how I feel about the twists, but it’s Survivor so I will watch it all!

• Ashlee says:

There are a few that I think it would be good to see again in this cast, but the majority of the “favorites” I could do without

• dan says:

I liked Monica and thought she got booted too soon during her season. My understanding is that they originally wanted her husband, Brad, who is a former football player and “famous” lawyer in the Tampa Bay area, but he wasn’t available so they cast Monica. Glad they’re both on this season.

• bob says:

if they were going to bring back a winner they should of brought back todd

• Matthew says:

Absolutely. Todd played the game so damn well. He was in control of BOTH tribes before the merger even happened. He recognized that the show was a TV production that would have certain casted archetypes, tracked those archetypes down, secured them, and cruised to the end. I only remember him being in any sort of danger once, at the final 5 (and that probably wasn’t even any real danger).

Also, for everyone whining about Rupert’s 4th try, Boston Rob has also played 4 times; after NOT EVEN MAKING THE JURY on 2 of his first 3 attempts, they STILL brought him back and basically just gave him a million dollars. Rupert, on the other hand, has made it to jury 3 times, and the finale twice. So he’s definitely an All-Star, regardless of whether internet posters are sick of him or not (and don’t confuse this with general public, who still like him).

• Dave says:

Rupert made it to jury 3 times but never made the finale. He finished 8th, 4th and 6th. His million was given to him by America.

• Ashlee says:

Agreed! I would have loved to see Todd back!

• Ben says:

Rupert was really actually quite awful on his second go around, making a whole lot of mistakes he didn’t on the first. But he was quite good on the third. And he is still an interesting player. I don’t mind having him back. But there are plenty in this cast I don’t need back. Laura and Monica are ok but unmemorable. Candice didn’t deserve to be an all star the first time let again twice. Colton is detestable and I don’t like Aras or Tyson either. So really I’ll be rooting for Rupert, Tina, Gervase and Kat.

• Ashlee says:

His second go around he got 4th place, and won fan favorite. Third go around he got 6th place, but he was just obnoxious in my opinion. Over the three seasons he got full of himself, knowing that America liked him on his first time and it turned to an annoying arrogance.

• bob says:

his third time was his worst

4. Matt says:

Glad they went alllll the way back for this crop of returning players. Excited to see players like Gervase and Tina compete.

5. ZigZagZoey says:

Colton? Reallly? Even though there were a zillion comments begging for him to NEVER come back?

6. Ron says:

Haven’t seen Survivor for a few seasons now, and I don’t think I’ll be picking it back up this season. Some of the returning players I don’t mind, like Gervase, Tina, and Aras. I liked those 3 the first time around. But the return of Colton is plenty enough reason to NOT watch. He’s vile. Some of the things that came out of his mouth were horrid. Don’t need to watch anymore of him. Also, Kat is such a frustrating and annoying player…and I use the word “player” very loosely. No common sense. She’s such an idiot when it comes to game play and it makes the show so boring to watch someone like her be such a sheep and cry all the time. Throw in the fact that her boyfriend is someone I couldn’t stand at all on BB (when I *stupidly* watched that show too) and Redemption Island and Rupert have both lost their novelty, Gervase, Tina, and Aras aren’t enough to make me return to watch this show.

7. When will Survivor ever going to end? :-(

• Jerri says:

when people stop watching & the ratings take a nosedive and will keep going down episode to episode.

• elr says:

With a lot of people saying they won’t watch this time around my answer to your question is maybe after this season. It already has more than 3 strikes against it and it hasn’t even started yet. The bringing back of Colton, Rupert (for a 4th time), Redemption Island, and other unremarkable casting decisions have insured that I won’t be watching. Actually just Colton being back is enough for me. Why would you bring back such a despicable human being?

• seattlejohn449 says:

after watching every season I bailed last year due to returning player burn-out…and I’m definitely not going to watch this time because I’m sick of the show playing up returning has-beens and side-lying all-new unknown casts…but the knife in the back has to be that slimy, entitled, self-serving Republican creep Colton…with thousands of gay couples getting married recently why does Survivor insult me and other gay men by representing us with this sorry excuse of a person?…I’m honestly offended…(and I really don’t want to know what Colton 2.0 will be like as his fiancé? the guy has to have a few issues of his own…)

8. Amanda says:

Damn no Malcolm

• wrstlgirl says:

I’m glad there’s no Malcolm. Two seasons back to back was too much. He should have waited and played in this round.

9. wrstlgirl says:

Why all the Colton hate. He’s no worse than some of the other cut throats. I’m looking forward to another great season of Survivor.

10. Mike says:

They’ve totally lost me. I would have been a hard sell on Colton in any context, but with all these other returning players (I do not love returning players) and this whole loved ones gimmick and then Redemption Island as well? UGH.

11. TVFan says:

I would not be surprised if one of the “twists” for the season is to have all the favorites on one tribe and their loved-ones on the other.

12. Sue says:

At least they’re not bringing back Russell & Brendan Hantz!

13. Belle says:

Don’t hate on Rupert…he is kinda the iconic good guy, can never get too much of him!! Most disappointed they don’t have more head-butting characters this time around. Oh well, anything is better than the last couple season. By episode 3 I either continue till the end, or put myself out of the misery that is Survivor. Just have fun!!

• chrisjroof says:

Rupert is by far my least favorite contestant this show has ever had. Once you think you are bigger than the game, you’ve gone too far. Berating players for voting for you – its part of the game.

He is also not very good at the game and CBS only did the $1 million fan prize for All Stars to give him money, knowing that people would vote for him.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

OK, fixed. (Never seen Survivor.)

• tripoli says:

Totally agree with you. I’ve recently rewatched all the past seasons and Rupert came off pretty arrogant and entitled in every one of his seasons. He seemed to think that because he caught fish and kept everyone fed he should have gotten a free pass to the end. And the berating of anyone who dared to vote for him was absurd. That’s the game, buddy, deal with it. So sick of him and not looking forward to seeing him and his wife slobber all over each otehr any chance they get.

• Christy says:

I’m happy he’ll be back! Yay, Rupert!

14. Chris says:

Your last twist note is incorrect. Winners of Redemption Island give out a clue but they don’t return to the game until the RI twist is over and the one remaining victor of RI is allowed back in.

I think we’ll only see a loved one step in when it gets close to rejoining the game for good.

15. Steve F. says:

Well, it could’ve been worse… Rob and Amber Marciano, anyone?

• bob says:

what about the other rob :( and wheres todds second chance and natalie :( I don’t like any of these people were are all the strategists?

16. Sarah says:

COLTON?

OH HELL NO.

17. Jase says:

YUCK to this whole cast! Colton returning is disgusting and Candice & Tyson did nothing to warrant a THIRD return. And Hayden was one of the least interesting winners of BB.

18. Lauren says:

Colton is an awful human being. Racist, ignorant bully. HATE him. Can’t believe they brought him back!

19. JBC says:

I have been looking forward to Survivor coming back, but knowing the cruel and nasty Colton is returning has diminished my desire to watch. I like that they have some new ideas with the family members and redemption island twist but why bring back a BULLY?

20. Magically Suspicious says:

I like Rupert and I liked Redemption Island, so I’m excited. Redemption Island at least levels the playing field for the returning players that are targeted immediately. They have a chance to fight their way back in.

21. Marc says:

Would someone please tell Probst that, when three people are involved, it cannot be called a “duel.” (The Xfinity/Comcast excerpt above includes quotes from Jeff including the “duel” reference.) He actually says “three-way duel.” He’s a television host. He uses language for a living. He shouldn’t be making this mistake season after season. But, he does it with most three-way contests.

22. Jake says:

Seemed like producers are just choosing to ignore what millions of fans wanted– Colton to never return. He almost derailed the show the first time, this might very well put a final coffin on the series.

23. Nunaya_Bidness says:

Sigh. I had really hoped that Survivor would get back to basics and just give us a cast of newbies who are there to play the game. None of this second chance, redemption island, hidden idol fest the show has become. The “Fan faves” versus “Newbs” never works because the new players won’t band together and stay together long enough to get rid of the seasoned players.

If they truly want to give players a second chance, have the people that got voted off second or third in their seasons back instead of what they deem to be “fan favorites”

24. Bummed says:

Survivor will take a nose dive into the racist/prejudice pit of despair with big brother this year (return of Colton). People like drama, but too many lines get crossed and people stop watching. Check the ratings…. SAD. Some of us wait all year for these shows :(

25. Willow says:

I am so disappointed that Colton will be back (and redemption island). I thought during the reunion show of Colton’s season it was made way clear that people don’t wanna see him on the show again. I don’t know what Jeff Probst is thinking. And I don’t get why TV nowadays seem to have to get people mad at the TV. I’d rather watch lovely people who make me laugh like Cirie and show a good heart. I don’t like mean. Jeez, I can’t believe Colton will be back. SO sad.