Exclusive

Community Exclusive: Rob Corddry Returning... to Help Jeff Find His Way Back to Greendale?

community rob corddry Season 5In the first indication that returning Community creator Dan Harmon may literally be picking up where he left off in Season 3, Rob Corddry (Childrens Hospital) is set to reprise his role as Jeff’s obnoxious law-firm chum Alan Connor in the NBC’s comedy’s Season 5 premiere, TVLine has learned exclusively.

VIDEO | Community Creator Dan Harmon Talks Donald Glover’s ‘Devastating’ Exit and… an Animated Episode!

Corddry last appeared in the show’s Season 3 finale, which was the final episode Harmon presided over before his exit.

There’s no word on what brings Alan back into the fold, but conventional wisdom suggests it will have something to do with Jeff’s recent Greendale graduation — and inevitable return.

RELATED | Donald Glover’s New Gig Revealed: An FX Comedy Series

At Comic-Con, Harmon told TVLine that getting Jeff “back in the midst” of Greendale was a “top priority” in Season 5, adding, “I want him back at that table. I want him back in those hallways. But I’m not going to have him wake up and go, ‘Whoa! I didn’t graduate! I took a pill that made it seem like I did.’ That’s not mature of likable in a TV show to go backwards. So we’re going to move forward.”

Community‘s fifth season is slated to bow in early 2014 (if not sooner).

1. Amy Street says:

I would LOVE for John Oliver to come back too!! :)

2. David4 says:

I think it would make the most sense for Jeff to become a teacher and maybe he needs some extra classes to do so.

3. Joey says:

Glad Rob is coming back. Hope John Oliver comes back to the show too.

4. Matthew says:

Maybe he’ll return as Greendale’s lawyer. Or end up representing someone who’s sueing them.

5. Bob says:

He has to come back as a student. A teacher and a lawyer wouldn’t have a reason to hang out with the study group.

6. Patrick says:

He could run a clinic that represents poor or indigent people in the community. Lots of learning institutions have programs like this.

Given that his friends are still taking classes, it would be easy to explain his presence when they aren’t in classes. I would love the juxtaposition of Jeff working for scumbags/the rich/big companies for money, while also helping out the little guy because he HAS grown.

Given that Jeff and Britta will probably end up together (or Annie), I would love to see Jeff’s future shipper deal with Jeff’s dichotomy. On the one hand, she wouldn’t be happy about Jeff’s perceived soullessness working for big clients. But they she could really enjoy the money. Like to an obnoxious degree.

7. Quinn Mallory says:

Maybe the entire Season 4 is just a dream?

8. Alan says:

i think community should have ended with jeff graduating, it felt like the natural conclusion of the story and now this is just dragging it out. whats worse is i get the feeling that harmon is going to spend the entire season just screaming “look at me, why would you fire me from the show i had given you the privilege of seeing” and its going to be a total mess as a result.

9. Cassie says:

Jeff only got an Associate’s degree – when he gets his diploma, it states Associate’s, not Bachelor’s. I don’t get how the producers/writers could have missed this, after making such a big deal about Jeff having a fake Bachelor’s degree.