Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Demi Lovato Poised to Join Season 5 Cast for Major Arc as Rachel's [Spoiler]

Demi Lovato GleeGlee is adding a little X appeal in Season 5.

Actress-singer and X Factor judge Demi Lovato has signed on to join the Fox musical dramedy’s upcoming fifth season for a significant arc, TVLine has learned exclusively.

According to sources, Lovato (who turns 21 on Tuesday) will play Dani, a NYC-based struggling artist friend of Rachel and Santana’s. She will also interact frequently with Adam Lambert’s incoming character, and the pair will have several musical numbers together.

VIDEOFirst Glee Season 5 Trailer Accentuates the Positive

Lovato’s deal calls for her to appear in at least six episodes, beginning with the second part of the show’s Beatles’ tribute, airing Oct. 3. (Glee will work around Lovato’s X Factor schedule.)

The Glee gig marks Lovato’s first major acting role since her Disney Channel series Sonny with a Chance went off the air two years ago. Additional acting credits include the Camp Rock films and episodes of Prison Break and Grey’s Anatomy.

RELATED | Glee Boss Ryan Murphy Shares First Details of Cory Monteith Tribute Episode, Reveals How Finn Won’t Die

Glee returns with Season 5 on Thursday, Sept. 26 at 9/8c.

1. katie says:

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVERRRRRRR OMG AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Nicole spies says:

What is the best thing ever im not getting you please find information on wikipedia about lea michele as rachel berry she is my insperation im goinig to be like her and you might be too but didnt you hear that her fiance died cory monteith as finn hudson and her and demi lavato are besties in season 5 wow that is so amazing to hear that im just worried about lea michele and she is taking it.bye have a good day

2. Jennifer says:

So it’s a gimmick to get ratings from the X Factor? Gimme a break. First Adam Lambert and now Demi Lovato. Glee is going down in flames. If they didn’t feel confident with the cast they’ve worked with for years, then they should have ended it.

• dude says:

Last year Fox made them do a Britney tribute episode to promote The X-Factor. Fox just isn’t ready to accept that it’s not a hit. Either way, at least this could be good. We all knew the Britney episode was going to blow.

• Casey says:

Good luck to Demi, she’s gonna need a lot of it. I really don’t care how many other gimmick guest stars they bring in. I don’t think I’m going to watch anymore. Cory being gone is the last straw. I think I’ve finally cut my ties with this show. Gonna go listen to the Glee version of “Good Riddance.”

• JT says:

LOL Glee is going down the drain in the worst possible way. It used to be a show that adults could watch for its sly dark humor but season by season, they’ve stripped away what made Glee so great and entertaining and now with the newbie cast, teenage dream(nightmare really) Blaine singing every song, they’ve gradually replaced it with a Disney Show. And now they have real disney actors on it. Laughing Out Loud. No, thank you.

• rawleygirl says:

Hey, at least they’re casting people that are the same age of the characters on the show and that can actually, you know, act AND sing. (ahem SJP ahem Kate Hudson…)

• Ruby says:

Oh god, shut up. Please. Enough. Aren’t you people ready to move on to something else after 3.5 years of whining?

• Nicole spies says:

Hi they shouldn’t have ended it because everyone including me will not survive glee glee is like my role model for high school so if they end it i could die because i could get bullied every single day. Bye have a good day

• Nicole spies says:

Whatever people if you don’t like glee don’t replay my whole family loves glee so we are all waiting for season 5 and lost their and my family favourite boy character cory monteith

3. Cherry says:

So they’re gonna go down the Season 4 route and have big guest stars to change the focus from bad storylines?

• Cheri says:

But, they need some leading personalities to re enforce Glee. Glee has coasted on its popularity and not its talent. Now, with Demi and Adam Lambert Glee can make a transition and the new direction it needs to since Cory/Finn will not be a part of the main storyline anymore.

4. I like Adam and Demi but come on, Glee has a tons of characters and don’t finish their stories. Take care of the characters that you have on the show before hring tons of guests.
    Last year they were 27 characters, you can treat well each character with equality, specially on Glee.

• Babybop says:

Holy crap! I never realized they had that many characters. I’m with you on this one. Stop adding in new characters when you have that many already on the show!

• Dave says:

They’ve already announced that several characters won’t be back next season. Last season’s part-timers — Mercedes, Mike Chang, Britany, Puck — aren’t returning. Quinn won’t be returning except for perhaps a guest appearance. Finn obviously won’t be back. And Jayma Mays has been cast on a CBS comedy this fall, so Emma Pilsbury is likely gone as well.

• scooby says:

What stories aren’t finished? You’re gonna need to provide examples. It’s an ongoing tv show. They don’t have to wrap up a storyline in one or two shows, and I don’t know of anything that was just abandoned. If they have a show partially set in NYC and only focus on Rachel, Santana, and Kurt it would be really bizarre. The city has millions of people and they’re in a new school. That’s why you’d follow the characters there, for the additional stories that you could tell. There are gonna be other people in those stories. The Lima folks need to be supporting or recurring. It makes dramatic sense to bring on guest characters. It isn’t a pure stunt like some shows, they’ve set it up more organically–there are things to criticize, but how they bring on guest stars is fine. Why just bring on unknowns if you can get award winners/nominees like Kristin Chenoweth, SJP, and Kate Hudson? There’s a reason they get recognized for their work. Let’em hire the right people for the part and stop the armchair writing/casting.

• rawleygirl says:

Actually, this show is incredibly inconsistent and has no concept of character arcs. Anyone who thinks it does has zero grasp of story. I don’t blame people for wanting some sort of cohesion to the serial show they’re watching. Glee hasn’t had it since, ever.

• rowan says:

Yet you still provide no examples. Every single show has problems with inconsistency, yet Glee “fans” latch onto every single one and declare that the show is the worst. The show has had some incredibly drawn out character arcs, including (but not limited to) Quinn’s entire story as an unstable girl (her story goes up and down because she gets no help for her mental health), Finn’s problems with insecurity and learning to be a better person, Rachel learning to be a team player, Santana discovering kindness, Puck becoming a good person and friend; these are all stories and arcs that have been told and are still being told. There is cohesion, people just choose not to see it. Most “continuity errors” can be explained easily.
          Also, look up Epic Theatre as a storytelling method. It explains why Glee tells stories so differently than other shows (which follow a Dramatic Theatre format).

5. JJ says:

…so what happened to Adam Lambert being involved in Kurt’s storyline? Is Kurt even in NYC anymore? Is he even on the show?

6. ashley says:

glee sucks.

7. Hola says:

Please no, i dont wanna watch Glee again :(

8. wat says:

This is ridiculous. I guess I can just record are fast-forward…

9. Elyse says:

I love Demi :)

10. LOVATOC says:

OHMYGAD KENNAAAT WAIT

11. Ash says:

Just what we need. Guest actors sucking up screen time. Could you be more gimmicky, show? You’ve already got a crap ton of regulars.

12. D says:

i’m guessing she’ll play a new gay or bi character?

• dude says:

She’ll be a split-personality bi-sexual, lesbian who’s also transgendered.

• Marco says:

Actually the show now has just ONE female gay character, while the male gay characters are THREE, so that wouldn’t be all that bad.

• How are you getting to three?

• D says:

isn’t that transexual guy considered gay? not really sure how that works if you are a guy that thinks acts and dress like a girl aren’t you still considered gay until you have an operation?

• tmwalkerm says:

No, transgendered people consider themselves male/female, regardless of the physical anatomy. So the character is technically male but is female between his ears (not to be confused with between the legs), “she” likes guys, so is not gay. Make sense?

• D says:

a little, that’s what they consider themselves but how should a straight person consider them? if a transgendered female comes onto a straight guy and the straight guy says, “i’m not gay” is that considered insulting? i’ll be honest i find the whole thing off putting and abnormal but that doesn’t mean i want to be cruel or insulting. i believe treating everyone with respect.and trying to understand

13. sam says:

i CANT BREATHE

14. monica says:

I rarely watched the last season but now I have a reason to watch glee again!

15. Bryn says:

Yes,Glee just throw more people into and already bloated cast. I know they lost Cory and that’s huge, but just try and tell good stories with the cast you have before flashing shiny guest stars, again!

16. J says:

Best news ever! I hope Lea would sing a duet with Demi!!

17. Maxine Deveraux says:

me rigt now——> O.O

18. Jess says:

God Demi, really? As if X Factor isn’t bad enough, you’re also guest starring on Glee??? Are you purposely flushing your career down the toilet? All you need now is to join the cast of Dancing With the Stars…

19. Marie says:

glee doesn’t need new characters, Lea and the rest of the cast can carry the show as long as they have good storylines.

• zoeygnar says:

I agree! They should really focus on the storylines unless they totally run out of ideas. Bringing guest stars on the show may help with the ratings but soon the show will lose its originality.

• Jefie says:

Agree give NY a few quirky supporting characters and stop with pulling focus with big stars. But even with the stunt casting NY is still better than Lima and the boring cast of characters there.

• nom says:

Problem is, they don’t have good storylines anymore.

20. Brmther says:

OMG Demi Lovato, this is so wrong. I love Glee but having a actress that have so much critic about her is not going to make the show better! Adam Lambert was a good idea but this is to much!

21. theresebroman says:

• Danniel says:

OH!!Please people stop lying!!If she wasnt a good actress she wouldnt have resived aawards for it!!Have you resived an award i think not!!And she dosent have critics about her!!Dont lie!!Adam Lamber has much more critics!And please dont be mean about him either he dosent have much acting exspierience!!Demi is famous in contrys like Mazedoniq,Serbia,Bulgaria and Turkey and other countrys you proboblly dont even know where they even are!!!

• zoeygnar says:

Oh please!!! You may not know this but Adam was a stage actor for years before he came to American Idol so please, he has much acting experience than you think. He CAN act actually!!! We now just wait for season 5 and I welcome both Adam and Demi.

• Gleek4Snix says:

See Demi on grey’s anatomy… hear her songs and you’ll see that she is perfect for the show, she will only make the show better

22. TK says:

I will continue to watch Glee even without new guest stars. If they will keep on adding new characters, they will only take away the spotlight from the original cast. Let Lea Michele, Chris Colfer, Naya Rivera and Darren Kriss take the centerstage for season 5 and 6. The writers should focus on their storylines before Glee folds up on its 6th season.

23. Cherry says:

This news is okay, but finding out Darren Criss has way too many solos and song-inclusions within the first 3 Glee episodes is a nightmare.

• Dan says:

So sick of Blaine. He better barely be in episode 3.

• Cheri says:

Glee is what the writers are making it. I face-palmed most of season 4. I admit I’m definitely NOT a Blaine fan. He is a nice performer but a little goes a long way. As it is Glee is now Blee and that makes Glee uninviting. Give Demi and Adam Lambert some quality screen time in NY and let Lea, Naya and Chris use their acting talents to get Glee back to the quality that Glee should be.

24. TK says:

I will continue to watch Glee even without new guest stars like Demi. The writers should focus on Lea Michele, Chris Colfer, Naya Rivera and Daren Kriss. They are the stars of the show, they should be given more exposure on screen.

25. Jason says:

Seriously? I cannot stand her. Most of all she sings like she cannot catch her breath…HORRID NEWS!

26. Amy says:

I like Demi but….well I kinda would rather see some of the actors that the show started out with more than just guest stars. But she will bring the ratings and that’s all they care about.

27. Lily says:

I’m speechless, this is the most random thing ever. Personally I think Glee just needs to focus season 5 on Lea Michele, Chris Colfer, Naya Rivera, and Kevin Mchale because they are the original characters people fell in love with. And Glee should bring the other originals back like Mark Salling and Amber Riley. Like No I adore Demi but this a bit too weird. I could never in a million years picture Demi on Glee and frankly I don’t want to. I know Glee/Fox is doing this for viewers and attention but come on, having Demi on the show won’t improve the show unless you have good story lines and plots which Glee rarely has. In my opinion this is quite pathetic of Fox/Glee to be doing something like this but I guess I would just have to wait and see. Adam Lambert and Demi Lavato? I’m so grossed out and intrigued at the same time which is weird but yeah anyway this.

28. Mari says:

Great news! I went to a radio concert in Sacramento where Adam was the lead i to Demi and she said so many good things about him during her set <3

29. Chablis says:

Ok with Demi.
    Not ok the new ad placements. I get you need revenue but these ad placements are annoying.

30. TB says:

Are we suppose to forget about Cory/ Finn with new cast addition. They know the show is going to suffer without him. This is just for ratings.

• Sumi says:

The show was suffering with him too. Point is glee is way past it prime and they are resorting to gimmicks and would have if Finn was on the show or not. Thye mentioned more guest star last spring.

31. queenrosered1 says:

Adding Lambert was GENUIS! But I’m afraid it will take a TON of studio “magic” for anyone other than Lea to hold their own with him in a duet. Oh and why are so many people talking as if Glee is “sinking”? It is still the #4 money maker on TV and with as many shows as there are, that still makes it HUGE! I say “Let the games begin!”

• Anne says:

Except that Glee has way more money making opportunities than most shows (itunes, tours, merchandising to young fans, etc) and is ONLY number four?

• queenrosered1 says:

“ONLY” number 4 Anne? LOL! Let me guess, your parents were never happy when you got all A- on your report cards, right? Hahahaaa! (and the position of #4 is just in advertizing dollars, not counting tours, iTunes etc.) *face-palm*

• limping along says:

It is slipping cause it lacks quality and focuses on the wrong part of the show. It song sales have slipped a lot and the ratings continue to slip. It is doing ok but still limping.

• jess says:

i’m pretty sure a couple of them can sing well LIVE without any studio magic… and demi lovato can sing her ass off so she will be good dueting with adam.

• weak in range and strenght says:

Just cause they can sing live doesn’t mean they can keep up with Adam. Darren, Chord, Melissa next to Adam would be horrible.

32. Austin says:

I don’t think this is a terrible idea. All you Demi-haters seem to forget that this girl is actually a fairly good actor. I wonder how next season will go, but I hope Rachel won’t have a new love interest after Finn dies.

33. Bender says:

Hopefully demi will turn into Santana or Rachel lesbian lover. Maybe a triangle between the three of them. I’d watch that.

34. Jay says:

I’m just glad whenever I hear spoilers that have nothing to do with the Lima side. Demi is a good singer, not too sure about her acting but most of the people on Glee can’t act so it’s not a big deal. Hopefully she can keep up with Lea, Naya and Chris. More NYC please.

35. TobyG. says:

She looks awful as a blonde.

36. ggny says:

Atleast she is a actress. Adam Lambert was a horrible casting decision. But this one i dont mind at all

37. Danniel says:

O_O Demi!!I HAVENT watch glee and i dont know what it is about but NOW… >.< I have to star from season 1!!Demi is the best!!So well…-_- GOTTA START SEASON 1!!!CANT WAIT FOR 5!!!

• Trent says:

Don’t bother. Just record the new season starting with the second episode and fast-foward till you see Demi.

• Mark says:

Watch season 1, skip the rest, and then watch clips of Demi’s scenes on Youtube if you’re a fan. The show hasn’t been good in years.

38. Fjgfbnn says:

I’ll just pretend hilary duff was first choice, again

But she said no, again.

Because of l

39. Fjgfbnn says:

I’ll just pretend hilary duff was first choice, again

But she said no, again.

Because of luca, again

40. rockgolf says:

“Expect Fox to maximize the cross-promotional opportunities, what with X Factor‘s results show leading into Glee on Thursdays this fall. (I’m calling the tagline: “It’s Demi X 2!”)”

Do 2 Demi-Lovato’s add up to a whole Levato?

41. Brittany says:

Glee’s really pushing for that 11 year old demographic, huh?

• jess says:

except, demi’s fanbase isn’t based off of 11 year olds? they’re teens older than 15… specially after being on x factor. older than 18.

42. Sarcasm says:

Way to not look desperate Fox.

43. Mark says:

Glee is getting desperate. How many more B-list pop singers are going to guest star this season? Someone please tell the writers that their problem isn’t a lack of characters, and get them some ADHD medication so they can focus.

• queenrosered1 says:

Shame on you Mark for calling Demi a B-list pop singer! I know you’re not talking about Lambert. He’s the legendary Queen’s go-to lead lead singer now and THAT is not a claim made by ANY other current singer. If you don’t like the writing, why don’t you see if they will hire YOU to write? LOL! Most of time I only watch Glee for the musical entertainment anyway. I’m really looking forward to a Michelle-Lambert duet! Yay! \o/

44. Jared says:

Great casting news! Demi Lovato is so talented and Glee is the perfect series for her to guest star on.

45. Cherry says:

Once they get rid of Darren Criss then this show can be respectable again.

46. Claire says:

I’m in favor of anything that means less time on the high school side. I just hope Rachel, Santana and Kurt remain the three primary characters in the NYC setting. Might be cute if Rachel tries to play matchmaker for Santana and this girl.

47. jess says:

i stopped watching after the 2nd season, but i guess i’ll start watching it again. eh. i guess it’s a little smart from them.. pulling in x factor viewers and demi fans.

48. cjeffery7 says:

michael! how could you leave Princess Protection Program out of her credits? ;-P

49. Lea and Demi says:

Hope they will put lea and Demi together, they would be great together

• Jason says:

Please, Lea can out sing Demi hands down. Lea has more talent in her pinky toe than Demi has in her whole body!

• michelleschlicker says:

HA! That is hilarious! I’m 20 years old and I rarely even hear of Lea. I have heard her sing and yes, she has talent, but Demi is much more talented! The thing that sucks about Demi’s career is that she is so underrated because she was a Disney star and no one will give her a chance to be more than that. I honestly think that if she was given a chance, she would become the next Celine Dion! I have 50 year old friends who are very picky about whom they listen to, they mostly listen to the greats like MJ, Celine Dion, etc., and Demi is one of their favorite artists. So her fanbase is NOT just kids! Her voice is incredible and she puts so much emotion in to every performance. She’s saved so many lives through her music and her story and that amazing considered how underrated she is.

50. Lydia says:

If I’ve learned anything as a fan of Glee it’s to not believe anything they say about episodes they haven’t written yet. Therefore I believe Demi’s character will appear in the second episode as a struggling artist and nothing else. I’ll believe the Demi/Adam part when I see it.