Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: Dexter's James Remar Cast as Alex's Estranged Father

grey's anatomy james remarDexter’s dad is checking into Grey’s Anatomy.

Acting vet James Remar has landed a multi-episode arc on ABC’s long-running medical drama, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Sandra Oh Leaving Grey’s Anatomy — Are More Exits to Come?

ABC declined to comment, but sources confirm that Remar will play Alex’s (Justin Chambers) estranged father.

Remar is coming off an eight-year run playing the late father of Michael C. Hall’s titular serial killer on Showtime’s Dexter (the series finale airs Sept. 22).

Grey’s Anatomy‘s 10th season bows with a two-hour episode on Thursday, Sept. 26.

1. sim says:

He was pure hotness in Sex and the City! Love him to bits

2. acumindeft says:

Yes! LOVE James Remar!

3. Julz says:

Calling it right now: Alex’s deadbeat dad!

4. mamalyn says:

By his features he looks like he could be Derek’s father.
    mamalyn

5. cc says:

I am going to guess that he is the 50-something year old jazz musician, who has been ravaged by drug abuse. This role was teased in a AA column, previously.

6. Burkey says:

He’s probably playing Bill the drug ravaged musician, and I’m quite certain that’s Alex’s father!!!! Excited.

7. Cindy says:

Dereks dad is dead.

8. Daniel says:

I too think that he is Alex’s dad.

9. Monica4185 says:

He looks like he could be Alex’s dad. Hallelujah is about time we met some more members of Alex’s family. So far we only met Alex’s brother, no one else. Unless he related to Jo and I hope not.

10. Sara says:

I really think it’s Alex’s dad, and very excited about it.

11. Snsetblaze says:

Even though many want him to be Alex’s dad, I’d like to see him as a doctor, so that the possibility exists that if he was a hit, his role could be extended and he could be a regular.

12. Cam says:

He’s for sure the new chief, Webber is dead, Owen will step down

13. FayeD says:

Since I never watched Dexter, my memory of him is as one of Samantha’s gentleman friends – for awhile at least. He may have been the one she threw the dirty martini at.

14. Kimski says:

Maybe he’s Jackson’s dad. I don’t remember them saying he was dead. Just Jackson’s Mom saying he couldn’t handle the pressure of being an Avery. That would be interesting too.

15. BingeWatcher says:

I was thinking the same thing possibly an Avery…. He does resemble the actor who played Jackson’s grandfather??? Harper Avery who I believe was played by Chelcie Ross …. The Alex storyline would be awesome too.!!

16. yeldarb says:

He’ll always be Ajax from The Warriors to me. He’s a great actor, he was good in S&TC.
    I looked at IMDB – he was on one episode of Private Practice, so he’s already been in that GA/PP universe.
    I would not be surprised if he was Alex’s dad. That’s the best idea so far.

17. Julie says:

YES!!! I’m so happy about this and I can’t wait to see Alex facing his father!

18. Ed says:

He will always be Richard “I got scared” from SATC lol

19. Azerty says:

YES! finally a good storyline for Alex!

20. Em says:

Finally, Alex gets a storyline that doesn’t involve his love life! Don’t get me wrong, I love Jo and Camilla Luddington is a good actress but I’m tired of seeing Alex doing nothing but flirting. The last 3 years they used Alex mostly as a tool to help developing other characters’ storyines or they had him sleep with all the females working at the hospital. All these years the GA producers had us waiting for this reunion and I’m dying to see were this is going. The fact that James Remar will be around for more than one episode makes me hopeful that this time they’ll handle the situation better than they did with Alex’s brother, Aaron.