Fall TV Preview

Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: Dexter's James Remar Cast as Alex's Estranged Father

grey's anatomy james remarDexter’s dad is checking into Grey’s Anatomy.

Acting vet James Remar has landed a multi-episode arc on ABC’s long-running medical drama, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Sandra Oh Leaving Grey’s Anatomy — Are More Exits to Come?

ABC declined to comment, but sources confirm that Remar will play Alex’s (Justin Chambers) estranged father.

Remar is coming off an eight-year run playing the late father of Michael C. Hall’s titular serial killer on Showtime’s Dexter (the series finale airs Sept. 22).

Grey’s Anatomy‘s 10th season bows with a two-hour episode on Thursday, Sept. 26.

Comments (28)

• He was pure hotness in Sex and the City! Love him to bits

Comment by sim – August 16, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! LOVE James Remar!

Comment by acumindeft – August 16, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Calling it right now: Alex’s deadbeat dad!

Comment by Julz – August 16, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be amazing. I’ve been waiting for Grey’s to go there for ages.

Comment by Oslo – August 16, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I was thinking too.

Comment by Ashlee – August 16, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Greatest idea ever.

Comment by Azerty – August 16, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. I think this year is a lot about Alex.

Comment by sd – August 16, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By his features he looks like he could be Derek’s father.
    mamalyn

Comment by mamalyn – August 16, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Derek’s father died when he was a kid, and I doubt they’d give Remar a recurring role for only flashbacks.

Comment by Babar – August 16, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe he has conversations with Derek, playing his conscience? Remar’s pretty good at that.

Comment by popculture420 – August 16, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to guess that he is the 50-something year old jazz musician, who has been ravaged by drug abuse. This role was teased in a AA column, previously.

Comment by cc – August 16, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s probably playing Bill the drug ravaged musician, and I’m quite certain that’s Alex’s father!!!! Excited.

Comment by Burkey – August 16, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dereks dad is dead.

Comment by Cindy – August 16, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too think that he is Alex’s dad.

Comment by Daniel – August 16, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He looks like he could be Alex’s dad. Hallelujah is about time we met some more members of Alex’s family. So far we only met Alex’s brother, no one else. Unless he related to Jo and I hope not.

Comment by Monica4185 – August 16, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really think it’s Alex’s dad, and very excited about it.

Comment by Sara – August 16, 2013 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even though many want him to be Alex’s dad, I’d like to see him as a doctor, so that the possibility exists that if he was a hit, his role could be extended and he could be a regular.

Comment by Snsetblaze – August 16, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s for sure the new chief, Webber is dead, Owen will step down

Comment by Cam – August 16, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Webber is not dead. Shonda made a mistake the other day and tweeted a picture of James Perkins Jr at the table read for the 200th episode. She subsequently deleted the photo.

Comment by CC – August 16, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • that might be the best Shonda screw up ever.

Comment by Aly – August 16, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since I never watched Dexter, my memory of him is as one of Samantha’s gentleman friends – for awhile at least. He may have been the one she threw the dirty martini at.

Comment by FayeD – August 16, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe he’s Jackson’s dad. I don’t remember them saying he was dead. Just Jackson’s Mom saying he couldn’t handle the pressure of being an Avery. That would be interesting too.

Comment by Kimski – August 17, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking the same thing possibly an Avery…. He does resemble the actor who played Jackson’s grandfather??? Harper Avery who I believe was played by Chelcie Ross …. The Alex storyline would be awesome too.!!

Comment by BingeWatcher – August 17, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’ll always be Ajax from The Warriors to me. He’s a great actor, he was good in S&TC.
    I looked at IMDB – he was on one episode of Private Practice, so he’s already been in that GA/PP universe.
    I would not be surprised if he was Alex’s dad. That’s the best idea so far.

Comment by yeldarb – September 12, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! I’m so happy about this and I can’t wait to see Alex facing his father!

Comment by Julie – September 12, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He will always be Richard “I got scared” from SATC lol

Comment by Ed – September 12, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! finally a good storyline for Alex!

Comment by Azerty – September 12, 2013 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally, Alex gets a storyline that doesn’t involve his love life! Don’t get me wrong, I love Jo and Camilla Luddington is a good actress but I’m tired of seeing Alex doing nothing but flirting. The last 3 years they used Alex mostly as a tool to help developing other characters’ storyines or they had him sleep with all the females working at the hospital. All these years the GA producers had us waiting for this reunion and I’m dying to see were this is going. The fact that James Remar will be around for more than one episode makes me hopeful that this time they’ll handle the situation better than they did with Alex’s brother, Aaron.

Comment by Em – September 16, 2013 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post