So You Think You Can Dance Recap: Dancing With the All-Stars [Updated]

Get More: Reality TV, Recaps

So-You-Think-You-Can-Dance-Recap“Sometimes there’s so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can’t take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.”

If American Beauty‘s Ricky Fitts had that to say about a plastic bag floating on a breeze, imagine how his brain might’ve shifted in his skull had he witnessed the Season 10 Top 10 performance episode of So You Think You Can Dance, with All-Stars like Kathryn and Robert and Melanie and Marko and Jakob and Brandon and Twitch bringing their sublime strength and elegance to the stage.

OK, OK, I’ll be the first to admit the judges got a little carried away with the standing ovations tonight — when you’re on your feet for half the routines, you might as well just buy your gold stars in bulk and hand ‘em out to everyone — but the infusion of new blood and new pairings had a decidedly positive effect on what’s been a somewhat sleepy season.

But before I go too far down the rabbit hole and say something about how Robert has all the fluidity and lightness of motion as cinema’s famous grocery sack, let’s jump right into Top 10 results and a rundown of the week’s routines:

BOTTOM 4 (BASED ON VOTES FROM LAST WEEK)
Tucker
Nico
Jenna
Makenzie

DANCING FOR THEIR LIVES
Nobody! “Let’s get on with the show,” grumbled Nigel.

ELIMINATED AT THE END OF THE SHOW
Nico
Makenzie (Nigel said he got outvoted, 9-6, in a tally of choreographers, judges and perhaps producers that took place in the vast empty space between Carly Rae Jepsen’s ears.) (I kid, I kid!) (But srsly, how the hell did this happen?)

And now my quick take on the night’s 10 competitive routines:

SHOULD BE BOTTOM 4 Jenna, Amy, Paul, Fik-Shun
WILL BE BOTTOM 4Jenna, Hayley, Paul, Fik-Shun

What did you think of this week’s SYTYCD? Who was best in show? Who will and should be at risk? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments. And for all my reality-related news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (205)

• No WAY should Makenzie have gone home before Jenna. I don’t know what the judges, choreographers, etc. were thinking!

Comment by Emily – August 13, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It makes you wonder what goes on behind the scenes in practices etc. the choreographers want Jenna so maybe she takes direction better or picks up routines quicker. Not to say Makenzie is a pain or troublemaker. It’s just that there are more factors that go into that decision than what we see on TV. Otherwise the three judges would make that decision and wouldn’t ask the choreographers.

Comment by Tammy – August 13, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jenna is a professional dancer (as in, that’s her job, not something she’s been working on when she’s not at school or whatever these dancers go for work). Being a professional dancer, the choreographers enjoy working with her, as opposed to working with less experience dancers, specifically dancers less experienced with working with a choreographer. Notice her placement in the group dancers…

Comment by GTS – August 13, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree… U never know

Comment by Tony – August 14, 2013 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG I was almost positive Jenna was going home. Boy was I wrong. I agree that Makenzie should NOT have gone home. Jenna has been in the bottom three more than her and they keep saving her. Makenzie got robbed.

Comment by Carmen – August 13, 2013 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To be fair, Makenzie and Jenna had been in the bottom the exact same amount of times. I agree that I’ve grown to like Makenzie extra even though I was inclined to Jenna at the start (the ballroom girls tend to have a soft spot with me – I was totally head over heels for Witney last season) and she totally should’ve stayed based on the quality of her duets this season. I’m really going to miss having her and even though these are all strong dancers, I do hope Jenna goes next.

Comment by Sarah El – August 13, 2013 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would like to see the judges and choreographers respect America’s wishes. They are trying to find America’s favorite, not their favorite. Why keep asking us to vote if they keep saving the same one at the bottom every week. We are placing Jenna at the bottom for a reason. We are not saying that she isn’t a good dancer. We are just saying she is not reaching us ( the audience) like the rest. Isn’t that what a choreographer looks for in a dancer. One who can convey to the audience through their dancing what he or she is trying to share? I’m sorry but I just don’t get this with Jenna.

Comment by Marquita – August 14, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They are respecting America’s wishes as Jenna and Mackenzie have both been in the bottom a few times and so they have to send one of them home!

Comment by sarah – August 14, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I so agree! She’s overrated. I really don’t understand the fascination with her.

Comment by carles – August 14, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The SYTYCD system is working just fine! If you haven’t notice yet, when you vote, you don’t VOTE DANCERS OUT . . . you VOTE THEM IN. It’s the Judges and Choreographers job to SAVE whoever they want — it’s their prerogative. In season 4 Will Wingfield was a truly gifted dancer who was saved by the Judges twice, before making the Top 8. In that same season Comfort Fedoke was saved 3x by the Judges. Comfort was one of the All-Stars last Tuesday. America’s wishes ARE being respected in terms of the Dancers who have yet to fall in the Bottom Three, like Hayley, Fik-shun, Aaron, and Paul — with Jasmine and Amy each being in the bottom once. The system is NOT about Hating Dancers out of the competition, it’s about Liking Dancers into the title of “Favorite Dancer” — and they don’t even need to be the best dancers, just the most popular.

Comment by DrMatt – August 16, 2013 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Very well said and ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!

Comment by Kathy – August 16, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It drives me nuts how they are always trying to save the ballroom and hip hop dancers regardless of how weak they are on stuff outside their specialty and/or the group numbers. This is why Alexis made it through while the other Jasmine was cut way before her time.
      It’s also obvious in their critiques of Fik-shun. I was shocked that they even admitted that he had his legs bent during the group number. That was so glaring, I guess they didn’t feel they could ignore it, but there are 30 other things you can see in each of his performances that they would call him out for if he weren’t a street dancer. It’s as though the judges have created a “protected class” who aren’t allowed to be fired by the voters.

Comment by karyn – August 14, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fic-shun is a true entertainer…he reaches the audiance with his personality as well as doing a great job dancing the routines. He is not a trained dancer but a BORN intertainer.

Comment by Linda Stark – August 14, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I find it funny how many want to penalize the dancers like Fik-Shun or Blu Print for that matter if they don’t perform a style outside of their own as well as the trained dancers… but then are more than willing to give a pass to Tucker or Niko when they do horribly with a Hip Hop or Broadway routine, by claiming it is out of their genre. If they are trained, one would think they should be able to pick up other styles faster and better than a non-trained dancer because they would have more experience with picking up sequence, routines, and other choreographers instruction. Many contemporary and ballroom dancers are more out of sync (when not in their style) than the non-trained hip hop or animators have been (when not in their style)…

Comment by Ronnie – August 21, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Re Makenzie: Choreographers should not be the one’s to vote… I work as a director… I should never be the one to vote on which actor stays or leaves a show… the one I might have the best experience with is not by a long shot the best actor. It is ridiculous that a dancer like Mackenzie is voted off the show. And who is voting least favorite I imagine are mostly women, and Makenzie would without question be threatening as hell…. She is spectacular, charismatic, beautiful, and a world class dancer who could be matched against or with any dancer i nth world…. who else could do or be that of the remaining women, besides Jasmine. Look they are all brilliant and extraordinary…. but Makenzie is in another league…. and I am not very interested in watching the show… not out of spite, but because I am not interested in the show without one of the most dynamic dancers the show has ever had the privilege of hosting. However I am also a very big fan of Jasmine (she has actually always been my favorite) and am thrilled she has come as far as she has, and will most likely win the entire competition.
      Aleksandr

Comment by Alexander Cassini – August 17, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It almost makes me not want to watch the show now. Makenzie was one of the top two girls. She is a joy to watch. It’s not so interesting seing the otehr girls battle it out when one of the strongest competitors is out.

Comment by Kirsten – August 24, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Baffled by the weekly saving of Jenna. She’s good or she wouldn’t be there. But she’s not better than Mackenzie.

Comment by annehedonia – August 13, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whachu talkin bout?! I love Amy Lee, er, um, I mean Jenna!

Comment by max – August 13, 2013 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve been WAITING for someone else to notice how much they look alike!

Comment by Sadi – August 14, 2013 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This last week 9 out of 15 Choreographers and Judges evaluated Jenna as being a stronger dancer compared to Mackenzie. You don’t need to be “baffled” any longer, I will explain it to you. Jenna can do EVERYTHING that Mackenzie can do in the Contemporary style; whereas Mackenzie can’t come close to doing what Jenna can do in the Ballroom Dance style. Jenna holds 4 national Ballroom Dance titles and was chosen to represent the USA in Beijing, China for the World Youth Latin Championships. Prior to SYTYCD, Jenna was also part of Staci Tookie’s Contemporary Dance Troupe — Jenna can do it all.

Comment by DrMatt – August 16, 2013 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No she can’t…yet to see an adequate hip hop routine from her…and she hasn’t had a memorable ballroom yet she’s a ballroom dancer!!

Comment by Aaron Sheperd – August 19, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why they decided to keep Jenna. It doesn’t make any sense. She shines when she does ballroom, but she doesn’t have that same spark when doing other styles and she’s been in the bottom four out of six weeks! Why do they keep saving her?

Comment by Lauri – August 13, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UGH!!!! Saving Jenna again. That’s what I come away with. Not memories of some truly beautiful dances (I’m looking at you Aaron & Katherine and Tucker & Robert), but how frustrated I am that they saved Jenna again. In the words of Regina, Stop trying to make Jenna happen.

Comment by Cas – August 13, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am dying at your “stop trying to make Jenna happen” comment. SO funny and true.

Comment by Rebecca – August 14, 2013 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love it too…I’ve yelled that at Nigel more than once this season!

Comment by Aprilcot – August 14, 2013 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Its Ryan all over again!!! Ryan and Mia, Now Jenna and Stacey.. Aargh!!! enough already with the Choreographers anointed ones!!!!

Comment by celticlass – August 15, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by sweetheart – August 14, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The SYTYCD system is working just fine! If you haven’t notice yet, when you vote, you don’t VOTE DANCERS OUT . . . you VOTE THEM IN. It’s the Judges and Choreographers job to SAVE whoever they want — it’s their prerogative. In season 4 Will Wingfield was a truly gifted dancer who was saved by the Judges twice before making the top 8. In that same season Comfort Fedoke was saved by the Judges 3x times. Comfort was one of the All-Stars last Tuesday.

Nigel knows that Jenna will have a more prominent dancing career compared to Mackenzie; just as Chelsie Hightower is more well-known than the two Dancers who finished ahead of her, Katie Shean and Courtney Galiano. This is because Chelsie became a “pro” on Dancing with the Stars, and Jenna is likely to do the same. Lindsay Arnold only made Top 8, and now she’s a “pro” on Dancing with the Stars, overshadowing Top 4 “Tiffany Maher” in terms of Dancing Career prominence?

Comment by DrMatt – August 16, 2013 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely do not understand what the judges … see in Jenna!!! Jenna should have gone home before Alexis (not to mention before Makenzie!)

Comment by KC – August 13, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Watch the Judges & Choreographers SEE in Jenna is something YOU don’t see, because you don’t know DANCE like they do. This last week 9 out of 15 Choreographers and Judges evaluated Jenna as being a stronger dancer compared to Mackenzie. I’m not a Mackenzie hater; she is truly gifted Contemporary Dancer. But Jenna can do EVERYTHING that Mackenzie can do in the Contemporary style; whereas Mackenzie can’t come close to doing what Jenna can do in the Ballroom Dance style. Jenna holds 4 national Ballroom Dance titles and was chosen to represent the USA in Beijing, China for the World Youth Latin Championships. Prior to SYTYCD, Jenna was also part of Staci Tookie’s Contemporary Dance Troupe — Jenna can do it all.

Comment by DrMatt – August 16, 2013 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ridiculous. You have the first all star night of the season. It is a perfect opportunity to give everyone a chance to shine with a dancer who is in their wheelhouse and you give Nico freaking hip hop? I feel bad for Makenzie, she definitely should not have gone home…but at least she got a decent dance to leave with. At least pretend to be fair.

Comment by Kathy Kann – August 13, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If they’re doing this season like they’ve done past seasons, the dancers are randomly assigned a dance style. They don’t just say “Oh, let’s give Nico hip-hop.”

Comment by Ashleah Youn – August 14, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Then he’s got really crappy luck. Because of the bottom 2, he got hip-hop which he’d already been criticized for and I knew he was going home as soon as Tucker pulled a Travis routine. They fall all over themselves with everything he does. I didn’t think it was that spectacular from Tucker’s end. I think Robert carried that routine and Tucker out of elimination.

Also, I do not understand the outpouring for Aaron and Jasmine. I have yet to be blown away by any but maybe one of their routines. Aaron was boring last night and Jasmine was out of sync with Marco several times. The judges (and these articles’) pimping of them is just completely out of control.

I think Fik-shun had bad luck last night too. I think he did fine but Melanie is so face-meltingly amazing that anyone is going to look worse next to her.

Comment by Zayne – August 14, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Or perhaps Marko was out of sync with Jasmine? From his season, I remember musicality wasn’t his strong suit.

Comment by Lan – August 14, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Jasmine was in the pocket (style, musicality, rhythm). The only thing Marko beat her on was those jumps. It’s funny tho that she is singled out for being the off putting one. And Aaron and Jasmine have had at least 4 memorable routines this season.

Comment by Aaron Sheperd – August 19, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Do you really believe that the styles are random and Tucker just happened to pick contemporary this week, when he needed something spectacular to stay, and got assigned Robert and Travis and a piece about coming back and having a second chance after catastrophe?

Comment by Julie – August 14, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The dancers pull the dance styles at random out of stacks of sealed cards with available styles. Once they’ve pulled the dances, the all stars are assigned. They called Robert to see if he would like to come on to dance a Travis Wall number with Tucker, who had experienced the same near-death experience as he Travis saw a chance to build a great routine based on their shared experience, plus his with Danny. No coincidence after the dance style was picked. Had someone else picked the style, Robert probably would not have been the all star called on. And travis would have designed a different routine.

Comment by Sir Andrew – August 15, 2013 12:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Uncle Nige may pretend that they randomly assign a dance style but come on… The producers/Nigel wanted Jenna to shine so they teamed her up with Neil.. Then they gave Tucker Travis.. Their manipulations were glaring.. As soon as I saw Jenna with Neil I knew Mack was a goner.. Tucker with Travis and Robert.. Nico was a foregone conclusion.. it didn’t help that he got that silly Hip Hop which he actually did very well in considering the content…

Comment by celticlass – August 15, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What? I so disagree with your rankings.

Katherine and Aaron did good, but Katherine was doing everything! She had the harder, more impressive moves.

I thought Nico and Comfort’s was good. Nico did week with the small movements, and I thought it was kind of cool.

And how, how, I ask, could you put a routine with Melanie in it was the worst runner up! They did well.

And, Hayley and Twitch got a surprisingly good review, considering the great coreography ruined by a lack of chemistry and so-so dancing by Hayley.

Jasmine’s dance was amazing. I’d prefer if she was partner up with Jakob, or maybe Melanie, but she did really shine in this performance. (Sorry, Marko, I still love you!)

Comment by GTS – August 13, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you more than Michael’s (sorry!). But what if Jasmine and TWITCH had done that number? I would have hated to miss Jasmine doing the one she did, but her and Twitch…!!

Comment by Lilly – August 13, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh. My. God.

Comment by GTS – August 14, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jasmine and Twitch definitely need to dance together before this season is over.

Comment by Alia – August 14, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I usually agree with you on most of the dances, but tonight I have to disagree on the Melanie / Fik-Shun dance. I really enjoyed it, but I’m a huge Melanie fan so that helped I’m sure. Jenna gets a free pass again…

Comment by Coryrox – August 13, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree with you! Melanie was perfect as usual!! And I really like Fik-shun, too. When does AMERICA (as in AMERICA’S favorite dancer) get to choose who goes home? Jenna should have gone weeks ago! Malece should NEVER have gone home last week!

Also, what happened to Danny Tidwell and Robert (who did not look we’ll tonight)?

Comment by G-Mom – August 13, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Robert was almost killed in a car accident last June. I’m sure he’s still recovering somewhat because it was such a serious accident. I agree that he didn’t look as well as he used to, but like I said, I’m sure he’s still recovering a bit. His dancing was still amazing, as usual, though.

Comment by SW – August 13, 2013 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Debbie Allen said he fell….. can’t find exactly what happened to him on the web…. does anyone know what really happened? Did he fall off of a building, a stairwell…?

Comment by Kathy – August 14, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Read SW’s post …it was a car accident! He tweeted last year all about it and that he was lucky to be alive and to have survived it. He stated doctors thought he’s never dance again.

Comment by CC – August 14, 2013 10:40 AM PDT
          • Kathy, it was Nigel who said Robert had a “horrific fall,” but, in a broad sense, that doesn’t mean that Robert actually “fell.” Debbie spoke of Robert’s “challenge.”

Comment by My Alter Ego – August 15, 2013 06:36 PM PDT
      • I think it is sad that our culture can’t support someone who was in enough pain that they attempted to take their life. That seems to me the logic of a near death accident, a fall which resulted in plastic surgery and unfortunately the mystery around it all. I am so very thankful he survived and that he has a new perspective on his life, but speaking about it would be incredibly inspiring for thousands of other people suffering from despair – even in a brief moment. I wonder if this will even be posted.

Comment by Linda – September 4, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When are the judges out of the mix? And you didn’t mention the gorgeous opening number… Which was stunning.

Comment by Mima – August 13, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still nursing a crush on Neil after all these years. Always nice to see him.

Comment by April – August 13, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jasmine, so far, finale. Fik-shun, starry-eyed, finale? Aaron, the big boy who can, finale. Tucker and Paul, good dancers,
      look over your shoulders. Jenna, McKenzie, Amy( the better),
      have performed routines that were winners and losers. Not
      consistent as Jasmine. This season will get verrrrry interesting when the judges can no longer vote. Jasmine and Aaron could be on the bottom (an awful thought)! When Neil and Danny lost to Arbo(?) season 3, my jaw dropped but that is how America voted. Stay tuned. It is about to get deep.

Comment by admiral – August 14, 2013 01:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You and me both!!!!

Comment by argogirl – August 15, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aaron is amazing and should win. Amy is fading. Hailey didn’t do as well as I thought she would. Fik-Shun is the new Cyrus. Jenna is drugging the judges. Tucker is lucky he has a good story. Jasmine H. looks better in anything other than a suit. Paul will be in the bottom next week.

Best 4- Aaron & Kathryn, Tucker & Rob, Jenna & Neil, Jasmine & Marko
    Bottom 4- Jenna (going home), Hailey, Fik-Shun (going home), Paul
    Final 4- Aaron, Jasmine, Tucker, Hailey

Comment by Jason – August 13, 2013 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aaron is so overrated

Comment by Eric K – August 13, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ummm in case you haven’t noticed, Aaron wasn’t in the top 20 in the first place, yet he’s one of the few people who hasn’t been in the bottom yet. I don’t know about you, but he’s getting my vote.

Comment by A – August 13, 2013 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed…Aaron is far and away my favorite guy. I always have a soft spot for the tappers, though!

Comment by Aprilcot – August 14, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’ve never really been a fan of tappers but Aaron is my favorite :)

Comment by A – August 14, 2013 12:09 PM PDT
  • my friend’s aunt makes 88 dollar every hour on the computer. She has been fired from just working on the computer for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more work25ℂom

Comment by samuel1c.handel (@samuel1chandel) – August 13, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But can your friend’s aunt do the cha-cha?

Comment by Lan – August 14, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Obviously not, or she wouldn’t have to work “on the computer.”

Comment by Alia – August 14, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe she cha-chas on the computer. Heaven knows, every other prop has been used already on this show.

Comment by Lan – August 14, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Next week there will be a NappyTabs hip hop routine about Samuel’s friend’s aunt cha-chaing on the computer. Jasmine will play the aunt; Twitch will play the computer.

Comment by Alia – August 14, 2013 04:13 PM PDT
          • How come I can’t reply to Alia’s last comment, which was AWESOME?

Comment by Josh – August 15, 2013 04:35 PM PDT
          • Josh, I agree. Alia’s last comment made me laugh!

Comment by My Alter Ego – August 15, 2013 05:52 PM PDT
  • Not only did Aaron’s routine make me cry, but so did he while he was listening to his feedback. He’s officially won over my heart. he and Jasmine are my top 2 and Aaron gets closer and closer to 1 every week.

Now, for the love, get Jenna out of there. Nigel said it himself, America is not connecting with her. Just because, apparently, the judges and choreographers love her, doesn’t mean we do. Take a hint. Actually, take several of them and they are more like obvious signs than hints.

Comment by Ash – August 13, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What difficulty did Danny Tidwell have which inspired Travis Wall’s choreography?

Comment by Sharon Farley – August 13, 2013 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s his adopted brother like the brothers in the piece

Comment by Jason – August 13, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Danny Tidwell is Travis’ adopted brother. Travis’ dance teacher mother took Danny in after they became close, and Danny considered Travis and his family as his own family. It seems that Dany had a difficult life, and, according to Wikipedia, “the boy would often walk part or all of the ten miles (16 km) home after dance class, had little adult supervision outside of the studio, and, at one point, had not been registered in school for months”.

Travis says in the package before the dance that it is about two brothers, one who has hit rock bottom, but was given a second chance, and one that is there to support him. It seems that Dany hit rock bottom, but Travis’ mother gave him a second chance, and Travis is supporting him.

Comment by GTS – August 13, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unfortunately, I think it was more than that. Travis’s mother adopted Danny when he was twelve. Not sure he’d “hit rock bottom” enough by then to inspire that choreography.

Comment by Lilly – August 13, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There were rumors that Danny was using drugs heavily in Europe. So, I think by rock bottom, Travis might have been referring to the rock bottom associated with drug addiction.

Comment by Nicky – August 13, 2013 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For as often as Nigel harps the “America’s Favorite Dancer” line, you’d think he’d take note that no matter what they do, voters prove week after week that Jenna is in no way the one they think of when the phrase comes to mind. Mackenzie was gorgeous tonight. The dress made her look a tad heavy when she wasn’t twirling around, but in performance she was, hands down, one of the greats of the night. Shame to see her go.

I said it a few weeks ago, but it’s really starting to feel like the powers-to-be WANT us to hate this season, if only to make it easier to deal with cancellation. The auditions were fantastic this season, but it’s been allllllll downhill from there.

Comment by Danielle – August 13, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen.

Comment by A – August 13, 2013 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Danielle, I agree with most of your points: a.) Jenna – the judges/choreographers are not going to “make Jenna happen;” b.) Mackenzie looked gloriously gorgeous (but she always does — more on that later), but I was a bit surprised that the dress gave her a “thick look” in the midsection, and since we know that she isn’t, it says something about the dress design (“construction”?); and c.) (and here’s where we don’t agree), I hope this isn’t the way to ensure cancellation of the show! This is only the second season when I’ve followed it (and, for the life of me, I can’t tell you why it took me so long!) and I really don’t want it to end.
      Re: the “more about Mackenzie later” comment: with the exception of the “fembot” routine, I have grown increasingly more in awe of Mackenzie’s talent. I didn’t like the “fembot” routine because I hated the music and I just thought the idea was dumb. But the execution of (said dumb idea) was terrific.
      I fear that Mackenzie suffered the “dumbed downed” effects of our current culture. As Mary mentioned a couple of weeks ago, Mackenzie is “classy.” “Classy” and “reality TV” do not tend to walk together hand in hand, which is may have something to do with why Mackenzie didn’t connect. Watching Mackenzie dance made me ache because of her superb technique and gorgeous subtle “acting” that she emitted.
      Now I will ache because I no longer get to see that perfection.

Comment by My Alter Ego – August 15, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fik-shun is overrated, Melanie totally out powered him. I found myself having to TRY to pay attention to him, and when I did I didn’t really like what I saw. The kid has great personality, but he’s definitely lost some steam over the last few weeks.

Comment by Zxcv – August 13, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SHE’S STILL HERE! What does someone need to do to get rid of Jenna. Nico should have been gone before the top ten. I’m so glad to see Robert, Melanie, Marko and Kathryn. The judges need to be harder; everyone can’t get a standing ovation.

Comment by buckyr64 – August 13, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh yeah, is it just me or does Tucker and Robert seem like they would make a great couple…Mmmm? Just asking?

Comment by buckyr64 – August 13, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes!!! But they are too similar and would drive each other crazy in time.

Comment by Midori – August 13, 2013 09:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sick of Jenna being saved, judges might as well just tell america (EFF YOU, don’t bother voting).

and why is Comfort considered an all star? She’s really not that good.

Comment by will – August 13, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s been an all-star for several seasons now.. you’re a tad late with your whining.

Comment by Eli – August 14, 2013 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So what your saying is you are a douchebag and cant say why shes there other than shes been one in the past. Check, good chat idiot.

Comment by will – August 14, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Comfort is one of the Nations top hip hop women since leaving SYTYCD…her record speaks for itself…After leaving the show, she was seen in T-Pain’s video “Freeze” and in Ludacris’s “What Them Girls Like”. She was featured in Lee Jung Hyun’s music video for “Crazy”, which was released in Korea in May 2009 and was choreographed by Brian Friedman. Fedoke has danced in the Michael Jackson tribute tour and collaborated with some of the most popular invidividuals in the dance industry including Tabitha and Napoleon Dumo, Chuck Maldonado, Miley Cyrs and Rosero. She recently performed as a reform school girl in the “Bootylicious” number in the “Hairography” episode of the television show Glee and is now writing and pursuing a career as a singer in Los Angeles.
          You may not like her style but in HER style she reigns quite high!

Comment by CC – August 14, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • To the contrary, i like her style od dance quite a bit. But over the last few seasons she has been outdanced by the non all stars quite frequently. Ahe may be wildly popular , but shes far feom the best.

Comment by will – August 14, 2013 11:57 AM PDT
          • Not to mention she can crawl upside down really fast like an alien crab.

Comment by Lan – August 14, 2013 11:59 AM PDT
          • I’ve never been impressed with Comfort, but nevertheless thought she was outstanding in her Christopher Scott routine with Cyrus last year.

Comment by Josh – August 15, 2013 04:44 PM PDT
  • I have been putting up with this season by a string. That string is broken tonight.

WHY ARE THE JUDGES STILL KICKING PEOPLE OFF?!?!

Every other year I can think of when we got to the top ten that the votes, and only the votes, were what mattered. Now we have the judges still picking and they voted off someone who didn’t even dance!!!!

Then he judges wasted more time bragging about how amazing they are for finding the All-Stars. It should be like past seasons and just get rid of them after the dace. They are not needed anymore and shouldn’t be on stage afterwards.

Comment by Midori – August 13, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hi Midori. I’ve only been watching since season 5, but I think when they reach the final 5 or 6 is when the judges stop and audience voting is final. I’m glad you agree about Tucker and Robert.

Comment by buckyr64 – August 13, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The reason the judges voted people off tonight was because Tucker was automatically in the bottom (having been injured) and we couldn’t vote for him.

Comment by A – August 13, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And every other season he would have been the one to go, because no dancing means least votes.

Buck, I think it was several season from 3 or 4 on that the top 10 were 100% America’s vote.

Comment by Midori – August 14, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah I just wish it would be based off America’s vote. Two words: Goodbye Jenna.

Comment by A – August 14, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • that’s not true,,,remember billy bell???

Comment by bob – August 16, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The first 5 seasons the judges only made the decision leading up to the top 10. Then once they had season 6 in the fall, they started making the decision up until the finale. So they will make the decision for the top 6 next week and then they stop making the decisions. I definitely do not like this way of doing it. The only benefit is when a dancer is injured they are not automatically cut. It was also better when they had an elimination show. This is the first year where they just sent people to safety without them having to dance for their life. I completely disagree with that. The judges are being way too obvious with their picks this season. I think Nigel needs to be replaced.

Comment by Heather – August 14, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who thinks its unnecessary to tell the dancers a vote is unanimous? Nico was the the right choice to go but I don’t think he needed to hear that he didn’t even get 1 vote out of 15. It’s bad enough getting kicked off, they don’t really need to know not one judge/choreographer wanted them to stay.

Comment by Kate – August 13, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. That comment was not necessary

Comment by Carmen – August 13, 2013 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. Just as Nigel’s comment about the dancers last week (who were kicked off) not doing well with the jazz routine was unnecessary. Show some class and stop kicking people when they’re down Nigel!

Comment by Cheryl – August 14, 2013 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Aaron’s routine, and while Kathryn was absolutely lovely, and I couldn’t help but wish it was Jasmine dancing with him. Those two were just meant to dance together.

Comment by Jaylene – August 13, 2013 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I love Kathryn, but I really missed Aaron and Jasmine’s partnership tonight. I feel like Aaron and Kathryn weren’t paired up correctly. It seemed a little odd to me when they revealed he’d be dancing with her.

Comment by SW – August 13, 2013 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Boy was she good though.

Comment by Josh – August 15, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t see why people are blaming Nigel for Jenna staying when he stated that he had voted for Mackenzie and was very sad to see her go. It is the rest of the choreographers and judges that voted to keep her.

I like Jenna, but I don’t see all the hype with her. I think she is a good dancer but that is all she is. There is nothing more to her than that. In my opinion she isn’t a good performer at all. She doesn’t convey any sort of emotion and she doesn’t pull me in. I always tend to watch the person she is dancing with. She is strong in ballroom and contemporary but that is about it. She is lacking in personality but she is a good technical dancer. But for this competition you need more than that. It’s time for her to go. If she makes it into the top six I will truly be shocked.

Comment by TayMads – August 13, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TayMads, you say Jenna is “lacking in personality” . . . that’s funny. And you probably think Mary Murphy is an introvert, right? So much for your opinion being credible.

Here’s what the Judges & Choreographers SEE in Jenna that you don’t SEE: Jenna can do EVERYTHING that Mackenzie can do in the Contemporary style; whereas Mackenzie can’t come close to doing what Jenna can do in the Ballroom Dance style. Jenna holds 4 national Ballroom Dance titles and was chosen to represent the USA in Beijing, China for the World Youth Latin Championships. Prior to SYTYCD, Jenna was also part of Stacey Tookey’s Contemporary Dance Troupe — Jenna can do it all. Debbie Allen calls Jenna “a choreographer’s dream.”

Comment by DrMatt – August 18, 2013 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would someone please tell Comfort that mouthing the lyrics the entire time does not equate to getting into character? And is anyone else getting sick of Cat’s inane commentary after every dance? It used to be cute, but now I’m at the point where I can’t even listen to her anymore.She just sounds dumb. Maybe it’s just this season and the fact that I can’t connect with any of the dancers, but I’m about to give up on this show and I’ve been a devoted fan since season 3. Hopefully, next week will be better with the All-Stars choreographing.

Comment by Meghan – August 13, 2013 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know what you mean, Cat seems totally distracted. (And I think she is pregnant. Look at the dresses she has worn…)

About this season, I think the way they have structured the eliminations is putting a damper on the whole show. Don’t announce who is in jeopardy at the beginning. Just let them all dance. Then announce the 2 going home at the end.

Comment by Morisot – August 14, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know what it is about him, but I have always adored Robert Roldan! So glad to see him as an all-star. I’m really rooting for Aaron this season, but Jasmine is so gorgeous, also. Now let’s get Kat her much deserved Emmy!

Comment by Debbie M – August 13, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 100% accurate and on the money about each item you’ve mentioned.

Comment by buckyr64 – August 13, 2013 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s time for Jenna to go home.

Comment by E.J. – August 13, 2013 10:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I disagree with everything in this recap. If anyone was overhyped it was Aaron, he didn’t even dance he just picked Kathryn up a bunch of times. And most under appreciated is Hayley? Her routine w/ Twitch was horrendous. I couldn’t even stand to watch the whole thing which is sad bc I normally really like her. And while I appreciated Jasmine’s number something about the way she dances is still awkward to me, like sometimes her legs are too long. I also thought Nico and Fik-Shun nailed their routines. Nico’s attempt at hip hop was like mastery in comparison to Tucker’s fail from the other week. Super sad seeing Makenzie go home :(

Comment by Meredith – August 13, 2013 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 100% right about Aaron. He’s a nice guy–strong, and has a lot of charisma so people vote for him, but he’s not a great dancer. He could win it all based on the opinion that I don’t think the male dancers this year are in the same league as the female dancers.

Also, I usually love Jasmine, but I found her performance tonight a little stiff. Almost as if her pants were to tight and she didn’t have full range of motion with her legs.

Makenizie got robbed! Next to Amy she’s the best dancer in the competition this year. Boy or girl.

Comment by Wesley – August 14, 2013 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • couldn’t agree more on Aaron, a porter in this dance basically. The choreography by Chris, Nappytap and Ray was kinda awful. And Makenzie, sad sad sad.

Comment by sui – August 14, 2013 03:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Finally, someone else who isn’t on the Jasmine bandwagon. I’ve never seen the appeal. Sure, she is a beautiful girl but I’ve always found her dancing to be a bit heavy and sometimes even clunky. I really liked Makenzie.

Comment by SuperL – August 14, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everything you just said was completely spot on! And how Jenna got to stay is beyond me. I thought Mckenzie’s was perfect while Jenna’s left me unsatisfied. Aaron, like you said is completely overrated. He’s good but not amazing, and most of his “amazing” numbers is him just pulling around his face and lifting. He’s a good guy and I like him, just not all the hype around him. Also, in my opinion, Jasmine is just all legs and has no personality and Hayley is good at only her style. Paul is by far my favorite because of his emotion and perfect dancing, and I really appreciate the work Tucker and Fik-Shun do. Amy is a great dancer but she’s starting to bore me and Niko should have been gone a while ago. Just my opinions!!

Comment by justfunme – August 14, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jenna has been 1 of my favorites since the auditions. I don’t understand why everybody hates her. Is it because she is supposed to be a ballroom dancer yet on certain nights she looks way better than the contemporary & jazz dancers or because she is flawless in every style and hasn’t had a bad routine yet. I love how all the voters r jealous catty little girls who wish they had her talent and hate that their favorite might not be as well-rounded as her.

Comment by cubbieberr – August 13, 2013 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jenna is a very good dancer. She was excellent with Neil on that Mandy Moore choreography, but the performance still lacked some emotion. She does come across as cold sometimes. She is more of a self-contained dancer. There are some female dancers past and present (Malece?)who have been unfairly pegged as “no chemistry” dancers, but the allegations are pretty accurate in regard to Jenna.

Comment by MC – August 14, 2013 03:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jenna has as much personality as dryer lint. It blows me away that Malece is gone and Jenna is still here.
        I really am not inspired by her dancing , her looks and it’s driving me crazy!
        Whitney is a way better and more dynamic ballroom dancer then Jenna. And that dress! OMG … Call 9-1-1

Comment by froxy – August 14, 2013 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Jenna is a great dancer and I loved her in the beginning. My problem is that Nigel and Co. keep failing to see that she is not connecting with America (for whatever reason) and saving her. There is no way that Malece (who had never been in the bottom) should have gone home while Jenna who is consistently in the bottom was saved yet again. And I say that as no fan of Malece! I think the judge’s favoritism to Jenna is starting to compound the problem and people are starting to resent her for it.

Comment by Aprilcot – August 14, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought Malece’s salsa was by far the worst routine of the season. (To be fair, salsa routines rarely come off well on the show, but that wasn’t her only klunker.) On the other hand, her futuristic hip-hop number was one of the best. If she had auditioned two years from now she might have matured in her transitions and had a better chance.

Comment by Josh – August 15, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Josh, for the second time this evening I find myself agreeing with your comment — at least, most of it. And it’s the final sentence that probably speaks to Malece’s real challenge: lack of maturity. I don’t think that she connected with either Jade or Alan. Granted, Jade was out of the game relatively quickly, but some of the other pairs were already “appearing” to bond as a dance couple at the point that Jade got injured.
          I don’t know whether she believed that her dancing ability/technique was all that mattered or that she was so cute and perky that she would always receive the votes she needed to proceed on. Or, perhaps, there’s something else in between, but no matter what, I suspect the lack of maturity on display on SYTYCD will hurt her future for a bit.

Comment by My Alter Ego – August 15, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love me some jasmine! Girl can weeerrrk! Tucker and Robert had some romance ;) Aaron is awesome. I totally agree that fik-shun needs to get called out for his terrible technique. This is not school for gurls! Hayley looks lien selena gomez but other than that a little dry for me. Jenna and Mackenzie are talented dancers but forgettable. Same with Nico.

PAUL DROPPED HIS PARTNER! Did no one else notice that? I know Mary noticed. Why didn’t she say anything?!

Comment by Tony – August 13, 2013 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i thought it was only me who saw this!!!! I was right!

Comment by waterbug – August 14, 2013 02:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I saw it too! I said “ouch” outload at my TV screen when it happened. I was pretty disappointed in the judges feedback because I didn’t think he was good in that dance at all, looked very amateur to me.

Comment by Terri – August 14, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t say he dropped her (at least not that I saw) but there was definitely a missed connection. I would say I’m surprised the judges didn’t mention it but not the first time they’ve had selective vision. When I saw the standing O I knew they were going to ignore it.

Comment by Cheryl – August 14, 2013 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought I was just going nuts when they didn’t mention it. I wondered if I was just seeing things that weren’t there. There was totally a missed connection. I assumed it would be the first thing pointed out. Do they think we didn’t notice it?

Comment by scooby – August 14, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They are just telling us that they want Paul & Jenna to win. There’s no reason neither one of them should get any critique when they mess up. The judges just want America to forget they made a mistake.

Comment by Christina – August 14, 2013 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i disagree… listen to the 3rd judge’s comment. she mentioned the drop as being part of the routine…

Comment by JGR – August 14, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think what they mean is the drop went directly to the floor, with Witney hitting with a little bit of a thump. Usually, those drops are very exacting, with the male making sure the “fall” stops just inches above the floor. We’ve seen that done in ballroom, Latin, and disco on this show. Still, the drop in this one wasn’t as hard as Dominic did with Jaimie, where she actually bounced back off the hard surface of the stage. I think this was just a slight miscalculation on Paul’s part.

And there definitely was one missed hand connection.

Comment by Lan – August 14, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ok, I’m glad someone noticed not only the missed connection, but also the bruising drop to the floor. I thought the missed connection was probably her fault and generally thought Paul looked like the better ballroom dancer. The rough drop to the floor would have to be the guy’s fault though, right?

Comment by Josh – August 15, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jenna should’ve gone home like three weeks ago, i mean she’s good but makenzie has been consistently better than her every week… do they not take that into account? it’s a shame really. i don’t really know why makenzie was bottom 3 so many times either, i follow her on twitter and she’s adorable and hilarious! so sad more people don’t see that.

Now i’m rooting for hayley and jasmine to make it to the finale, but it’s pretty obvious they’re already setting amy up to get hayley’s spot, what with all the overpraising on amy and harsher critiques on hayley.

Final two boys should be aaron and tucker.

Comment by Dani – August 13, 2013 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought Hayley’s work with Twitch this week was terrible. Definitely one of the worst of the night. Amy’s disco number was “meh.” I’d blame the choreographers in both cases, but in Hayley’s it just felt off meaning she wasn’t even making the most of what she had to do. If you’re working with Twitch and something’s wrong with the piece, it’s you.

Comment by scooby – August 14, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I couldn’t understand why Hayley and Twitch were dripping in sweat after that routine, I thought the choreography was lame, I don’t get it. But I’d still put Hayley through before Amy.

Comment by Terri – August 14, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My only explanation about Jenna staying would date back to Vegas week, where Jenna was shown multiple times doing good in almost every genre. Now we’ve seen Makenzie do Viennese waltz, but other than that, is she capable of doing other ballroom style(s)? We’ll never know now, because as I recall, she mostly did Jazz or Contemporary.

The assumption of course comes from Nigel’s comment about Jenna being one of the best all-round dancers that have come on the show as ballroom one (or something like that). Now when the scenario is to pick one out of two dancers, both loved by all choreographers (Nigel seemed to have said that a few times about both girls), it all comes down to the most well-rounded, no?

If you ask me, though, I’d say Makenzie is more technically perfect than Jenna, but what do I know?

Comment by analythinker – August 14, 2013 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your comment that Makenzie ” mostly did Jazz or Contemporary” made me look it up and you’re right – she only did two other dances – the Viennese waltz and one hip hop (which I can’t recall and that’s probably a bad sign). Perhaps she hasn’t worked with as many different choreographers as Jenna has and that’s why Jenna got more votes.
      Besides, it has always been clear that PTB on this show fear criticism that contempo dancers have a better chance to reach the top, so they try desperately to keep non-contempo dancers in the competition.

Comment by karyn – August 14, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Macks Hip Hop was the one where she was dressed 20′s style.. More of a lyrical hip Hop…

Comment by celticlass – August 15, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • people complain about it but that’s obviously what America wants considering contemp dancers always win! P.S Robert is my favorite All-Star ever!

Comment by bob – August 16, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved tucker and Robert tonight. When I saw that those two were partnered I got so psyched, and then they added TRAVIS to the mix. I mean…..!
    I haven’t loved Jenna and thought she shoulda have gone home the first time she was in the bottom 6, but I gotta say, I disagree with ya Michael- I loved her and Neil’s piece(although I think Neil being half of it contributed hugely to my enjoyment).
    I thought Haley did not do well at all with the hip hop tonight. I was flabbergasted that she got such high praise, and hardly any negative comments. I think Mary said something about how twitch overshadowed her(100% correct, btw), but for the most part she was showered with praise. I don’t get how makenzie’s been in the bottom a bunch of times, but Haley’s never been once?? They’re like the same person!
    Aaron and jasmine need to never dance with anyone else besides each other.
    Melanie Melanie Melanie!! Total Goddess!
    Did anyone else notice Marko’s little celebratory jump as he ran offstage? The most adorable thing I’ve ever seen in my life.

Comment by megs – August 14, 2013 12:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree about Hayley! The only person I watched during her number was tWitch!

Comment by Aprilcot – August 14, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the go-to response when criticizing a female. We’re all jealous because we don’t like Jenna. What are you, 12years old? Anyway my 3 favorites were also the 3 top vote-getters, so most people agree with me! Aaron is the most beautiful male dancer I’ve seen on the show and there have been a lot! And, Mackenzie looked gorgeous tonight. Like a movie star. I think she should pursue that road as well as dancing.

Comment by kevstar69 – August 14, 2013 12:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m torn about Aaron because the more I watch his routines, the more I noticed that he’s kind of a glorified partner. He performs lifts beautifully and has a lot of charisma, but with the exception of his hip-hop pieces, he hasn’t been given very interesting movement, not when you put him next to other guys (like Paul, Tucker, and Nico for example). This isn’t to say I dislike him, I think he’s great, but I would really like to see him to more technical work, leaps and spins and so on.

Comment by Aki – August 14, 2013 01:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve noticed the same thing the last few weeks – and although this week’s piece was wonderful, Aaron definitely was not given much to do that was technically difficult. What I’ve realized from watching the show over the years is that the choreographers usually give the dancers what they think they can handle. So I think they’re on to something that the audience hasn’t caught up with yet. That said though, Aaron’s presence, charisma and performance make him my favourite from the guys.

Comment by Cheryl – August 14, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Cheryl did you miss last weeks show when the boys danced with the rope? Aaron out danced all the guys, you couldn’t take your eyes off him. As several said, it was like watching a man dancing with a group of boys. Aaron is not overhyped though I do agree that last night he was asked to do more lifting than dancing and he dances so beautifully, I would like to see more of that. He is my favorite too and has been from the start and nothing he has done yet has made me change my mind.

Comment by Lana – August 14, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s a really great point about Aaron. He is by far my favorite, but I think a lot of that is due to the fact that he wasn’t even going to be in the Top 20, and I love an underdog. I do find myself wishing that his routines were more difficult.

Comment by Coryrox78 – August 14, 2013 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought Aaron really stood out in a good way in the boys’ piece with the rope, though. No lifts there, as I recall. Sometimes the choreographers get so dependent on lifts and tricks that a really good guy (like Ade) can turn into a forklift, where all he does is make the women look good. But, for me, Aaron has risen above that and shown a lot of pure dancing chops. He was absolutely not my favorite at the beginning but he is getting there now.

Comment by Julie – August 14, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think your comparison to Ade is spot-on. Like Ade, Aaron’s a great dancer, but the choreographers get so excited to have a big, strong guy to work with that they pack the routine with lifts and don’t give him anything else to do. I’d like to see him to hip hop with Twitch at some point. No risk of too many lifts there, eh?

Comment by Alia – August 14, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe you haven’t paid attention to the group routines. Aaron has often been seen doing the same moves as the ballroom and contemporary dancers in the group and doing very well. Go back to Michael’s recap with the bullying piece (top 14 or 16). You’ll see a screencap from that dance which shows all the dancers in developpe’. Aaron’s is as strong as anyone elses. In fact, his leg is as high as Jasmine’s and Amy’s. I’ve noted that he is very light on his feet and graceful in leaps.

Comment by Lan – August 14, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One of Aaron’s strengths, that really sets him apart from the other male dancers, is that he is a really good actor who is excellent at conveying the character of the part he plays and not just the dance steps. His face (especially his eyes) is so expressive. His facial expressions added so much to last week’s humorous cowboy number, for example. When you combine that with his physical strength and gracefulness and great partnering skills (which is just as foreign to him as a tap dancer as it is to a hip hop dancer), it’s no wonder that he is thought of so highly.

Comment by Observer – August 14, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Check out his broadway piece, he does actual dancing throughout it. I feel people just see what they want in order to discredit or praise someone else.

Comment by Aaron Sheperd – August 19, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love reading your recaps every week because you have the same issues with this season that I do. Especially about Jenna’s performance this week. I felt nothing from her and the dance did nothing for me. And I couldn’t believe it got such a good critique

Additionally I had the same view of Any and Fik-Shun that you do. And it’s something I don’t see anywhere else, especially on the show.

Comment by Sandra – August 14, 2013 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let me tell you. Makenzie deserved to be in the top 3 girls, to say the least. Amazing dancer and I love her personality too. You saw more of it in the good-bye video. For me now, it would be a shame if Jasmine doesn’t win. She has it all. Truly. Tonight might not have been the best day, but girl is one of the dancers that is gonna make it big time. As for the boys, all are good. Based on technique and all around performances, Paul is way ahead all of them even though he might have dropped his partner tonight, he was great. He can do soulful hiphop, contemporary with leaps and spins, jazz with flips and ballroom. I don’t think he will win and I kind of hope he doesn’t. Fik-Shun might not have the technique but boy does he have soul and passion. Aaron was overhyped. I love him, truly, but he was just doing lifts and holding his partner for most of it. I would love to see him to some more techniqual dancing. Tucker is amazing, a stunning dancer but unfortunately he, I think, has not connected to America as well as Fik-Shun.
    My pick for girl is Jasmine and boy Fik-Shun although Paul should win but then again, he has gotten exposure, and everyone loves Jasmine, Paul and Makenzie the most. Of the all-stars and judges. Jasmine is without a doubt a favorite among all people in the industry. She has already worked with Ciara and Nicki Minaj.

For the future, Jasmine, Makenzie, Amy, Aaron, THEY will have the best careers post SYTYCD

Comment by Selma – August 14, 2013 04:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Fik-Shun is the strongest hip-hop dancer in the group, which bodes well for his post-SYTYCD career. He and Jasmine I bet would be the best prospects for movie gigs (though not paired as leads) because of their charisma and expressiveness.

Comment by Josh – August 15, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t it used to be once it got to Top 10 the judges were out of it and it was all based on votes? So why still saving?
    Loved Aaron and Kathryn and Tucker and Robert! Outstanding pieces!

Comment by SY – August 14, 2013 04:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get the judges anymore. All they ever do is comment on the dancer’s legs. Ok, we get it, Jasmine has long legs, but personally I find her to be a sloppy dancer, especially her upper body. She relies on her legs to get her through a routine, knowing that people will be looking at them, but I don’t believe her as an actress and it pisses me off that the judges refuse to even give constructive criticism anymore. It’s either a good review or a bad review. What was great about Lauren, Melanie, Eliana, Cyrus, and Chehon in the past is that they grew from the criticism the judges gave them. It’s almost like this season is a joke. Of course, this is my opinion. Other people may disagree, which is fine.

Comment by writerjess17 – August 14, 2013 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with some of your criticisms, but this season is now much more enjoyable with the All-Stars. Kathryn puts everyone else to shame in my book. What a woman! It was also great to see Robert and Witney, among others. I’m really watching exclusively for the All-stars at this point. I am just not fascinated by any of the regular contestants still in the mix. There’s no LoFro or Eliana in this group for me. There’s no Chehon and definitely no Alex Wong among the remaining guys. This will be a season where the also-rans could very well do better in the real world than the top six. I think Nico has a great future. He and Carlos will get plenty of work through auditions. Malece is a little too immature now, but the potential is there for a truly great career.

Comment by MC – August 14, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree with you more! I find Jasmine to be messy and awkward. She does not dazzle me whatsoever. And the judges! There is no true commentary on this show anymore. The only way to grow as a dancer is to be critiqued and I have noted little growth in any of these contestants as opposed to the first seasons where you saw growth and you felt apart of the dancers journey. This season had been frustrating to say the least especially when half the guest judges have no dance experience whatsoever! They are asked to judge to get more viewers (Carly Rae Jepsen….really?) I miss the old sytycd days the past few seasons just get worse and worse for me.

Comment by Devvviin – August 14, 2013 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with you. I like Jasmine, but those “legs that go to infinite” sometimes cause her to look awkward (though I thought last night’s performance was great because of the choreography). And how can you take the on-camera judging seriously this season?
        I have been watching SYTYCD faithfully since season 2, and I think one of the problems is the caliber of dancer is so much better. Many of these dancers are quasi-professional already. So we don’t see them grow that much.
        I do disagree with the “purists” – including the commentary often on this website – in that I really LIKE when they try to bring along some tappers, ballroomers, and hip hop dancers – who may be less technically trained but have a gift. The most boring season (and I can’t honestly remember which one it was) was when almost all the top 20 were jazz or contemporary dancers and they were all stupendous. The guys could leap into the rafters, and the girls could hold their legs strait in the air for 10 minutes. But it was BORING. I like having unique styles in the top 20 and watching THEM grow through the season. But I don’t agree with carrying them toward the top 10 without merit (and that does seem to be true sometimes). They do have a top-10 tour to market!!

Comment by Lilly – August 14, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paul is starting to annoy me. I can’t remember a routine where I thought he was AMAZING in like I can w/ all the other guys (Aaron last week, Tucker this week, Fik-Shun hobo jazz). I hope Paul gets hip-hop (real hiphop like Jasmine & Aaron last week, not what we saw this week) because I don’t think he’ll even do OK.
    ——-
    Next week Travis Wall is an all star and I’d bet money that he’s paired with Jenna so the judges can save her again.
    ——-
    Mary was hilarious this week.
    ——-
    Did anyone else notice the camera men running through the screen in Nico & Comfort’s routine? Definition of too many camera angles.
    ——-
    Jenna is my least favorite girl and has been since around Top 16 but she performed better than Makenzie (I didn’t even remember that Mackenzie had gone yet by the end of the show) and they’ve both been in the bottom the same # of times so I think Jenna deserved to stay
    ——-
    Worst Case Scenario: Jenna is safe, Aaron is not

Comment by Christina – August 14, 2013 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SO GLAD someone else noticed the cameraman! It totally took me out of the moment! I too, am afraid that they’re going to pair Jenna with Travis, but I’d love to see him dance with Amy! I’d also like to see Alison dance with Aaron and Jasmine with tWitch.

Comment by Aprilcot – August 14, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, Jasmine & Twitch, PLEASE!! One of my theories as to why Aaron and Jasmine looked so good together is that they are so tall (and “bigger”). I think Jasmine would not only match Twitch in technique (if anyone can!), but also a better size match.

Comment by Lilly – August 14, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There goes the Emmy.

Comment by Josh – August 15, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The genre of dance has so much to do with appeal to the audience. Anyone who gets Disco, Bollywood, or Quick Step is at a huge disadvantage. The music appropriate to those styles usually has little appeal as well. Are dance styles assigned or by chance? If assigned, it could certainly allow the show to influence outcomes.

Comment by Sue McDermott – August 14, 2013 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jasmine & Aaron got quickstep and are still here (although that was the only week Jasmine was in the bottom).

If people who get more unknown genres really do do bad… Then I hope & pray that Paul gets African Jazz, Jenna gets Bollywood, Fik-Shun gets Jive, & Amy gets Animation.

Comment by Christina – August 14, 2013 05:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Now I have to clean my monitor–I spit my Cheerios out laughing at this!

Comment by Morisot – August 14, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve often wondered how they choose dance styles now. They used to show them drawing each week (even though I’m sure that was rigged, too), but now it seems like a total crapshoot with who is going to get what and what All Star at this point.

Comment by Aprilcot – August 14, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t bare Amy’s grin another week.

Comment by Mackenzie Star – August 14, 2013 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aha, I’m not the only one who finds her smile unbearable. It looks like my three year old when he does his fake smile after I say smile big. lol.

Comment by Terri – August 14, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amy”s song was the right song just an horrible cut!!!!!!! That’s one of the best techno/house remixes out there. Give the song a listen some time.

Comment by Anthony – August 14, 2013 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Completely agree with your comment about Paul & Whitney. I did not like the routine. I hardly ever can see any technical mistakes in dances because I don’t dance and don’t know what is good or bad but I noticed a bunch of missed moments. For two people who’s background is ballroom, I think this should have been flawless and it wasn’t. I didn’t understand why the judges gave them a standing ovation. Definitely not deserved.

Also, I love Amy but something was lacking this week. I don’t know if it was the partnership or the horrible music or the choreography that didn’t seem to flow but I think she’s better than this. I feel like she has yet to be given a really memorable piece where she can show off her technical skills rather than her personality.

Aaron is easily my favorite guy. He has an enormous personality and I feel like he connects with his partners well. Granted he’s only danced with Jasmine H. and Kathryn but he always stands out for me. Even with the group numbers.

Comment by MovieNic09 – August 14, 2013 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow. People are so underestimating Paul, it is becoming ridiculous. Let me tell you that Paul’s technique was off the charts, having that background, I know this. I follow all of the dancers on Twitter and let me tell you, the issues that they were having were all because of the girl, Witney. Sure, she was sizzling, sort of, but man was she not feeling Paul at all. Poor guy, he alone deserved the standing ovation, she even favorited tweets on Twitter that said she and Paul weren’t a great match. I mean, poor guy. She was sloppy, missed several steps. Only reason people were paying attention to her was because of that dress and her stage presence and let’s face it, she has A LOT more experience than him.

I feel that a lot of people in the ballroom industry do not like Paul at all. I’ve heard during several interviews that no one knew who he was and they were shocked that he made it through the top 20.

Paul has been underestimated by the judges too. He has done great every single week and if you don’t think so, you people are nuts. The eyes were always on Makenzie, because they clearly have given the praise to the girls more this season. Remember last week with Aaron, he killed that routine and he wasn’t given anything.

Now, my top 2 guys are Fik-Shun and Aaron, for sure, but Paul deserved to be there too.

Comment by Kara – August 14, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You could be right. Maybe it was Witney and not Paul. I definitely noticed during the comments part that she wouldn’t even look at him and was very uncomfortable being up there with him. Either way the connection wasn’t there and it felt noticeable to me.

I feel like they always praise the girls more because of their outfits. They put the girls in these glittery, eye-catching outfits and you can’t help but look at them during the routines. The boys definitely have more to prove when it comes to the partnering. But Aaron stands out for me even though Jasmine H. has been amazing too.

Comment by MovieNic09 – August 14, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ve been impressed by performances with Paul all season until this episode. I, too, noticed that Witney seemed off from the very start as she passed him by and walked down the stairs. Her timing was off. Then, I thought, why on earth did they have the featured dancer (Paul) dressed in all black on a very darkly lit stage with dark backgrounds. He disappeared. I didn’t think the choreography was very exciting either. I’ve felt that we’ve been subtly steered not to like Paul.

I think, too, that the show wants us to like Jasmine and Aaron. I don’t have a problem with that, though, because together they are dynamite. Jasmine fell off a little this episode without Aaron but in my book, so far, Aaron can do no wrong. I’ve been surprised at his versatility given he’s been introduced to us as a tapdancer. Something tells me he’s had more varied experience than we’ve heard about.

Comment by nbsp – August 14, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally I have been a fan of Jenna and Tucker’s since the start. Jenna is a great dancer and they said that last night that she can adapt to any style and is a choreographers dream! The top 5 girls are the best they have had and each week will be hard to say goodbye to any of them! As for Tucker and Nico I was sure Tucker was going home but I am glad he stayed! The dance with Robert(whom I love) was fantastic! People will say Tucker stayed because of pity but that is not the case!
    As for last night my favorite dancers in order:
    Tucker & Robert
    Aaron & Katherine
    Jenna & Neil (so happy to see him)
    Jasmine & Marco
    Mackenize & Jacob
    Paul & Whitney
    Nico & Comfort
    Fikshun & Melanie
    Amy & Brandon
    Hayley & Twitch

I think Jenna and Tucker will be gone next week then Amy and Fikshun and I think the top 4 will be Aaron, Paul, Hayley & Jasmine with Aaron and Jasmine winning!

Comment by sarah – August 14, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very disappointed Mackenzie is gone. Her routine with Jakob was my favorite of the night. (And oh wow – SO good to see Jakob again! I know he was touring w/ BBoD for a while after his season, so good for him; but I’ve really been wanting to see him as an all-star. :) ).
    I don’t dislike Jenna, but of the girls left she was/is the weakest for me.
    I was surprised at the judges/Michael saying they couldn’t take thier eyes off Jasmine in her number – I honestly had to remind myself to look at her because I thought Marko just owned that dance! :D
    I think all the Top 8 are strong contenders; every elimination now will be hard. If I had my druthers the top 4 would be Jasmine, Amy, Aaron and Paul.

Comment by Beth T – August 14, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree with the fact that I couldn’t take my eyes off Marko and all the judges saw was Jasmine. Marko was incredible and when i rewatched the routine and tried to force myself to look at Jasmine I still couldn’t not look at Marko. Marko is my favorite all-star and Melanie is the best person boy or girl they’ve ever had on the show. This season for me they don’t have either a Marko or Melanie! I really don’t get the judges this season either, they are praising the girls for their dresses and are congratulating the choreographers more than the dancers. Paul should definitely win in my opinion because of his constant emotion and completely perfect technique. If you take a second to not look at the girls in their sparkly dresses and focus on him you will be astounded. I challenge you to pick any routine and look at him. With Mackenzie gone I really dislike all of the girls. They are all overrated and none of them make any emotional connections with me whatsoever. I agree with the judges that the dancers are all really good technically but in the end it’s emotion that Lauren and Melanie had that made me fall in love with them. If Paul doesn’t win I don’t know if I’ll be able to watch another season if the dancers are all like this. Without Paul and Fik-Shun (say what you will) this season would be unbearable.

Comment by justfunme – August 14, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought Malece had a “Melanie” type quality. And really am so disgusted that the ONE time Malece ended in the bottom she gets booted in spite of Jenna being consistently “America’s” least favourite dancer.
        I just can let that go!!!

Comment by froxy – August 14, 2013 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think even though all the dancers are good this year, no one is distinct and stands out. I haven’t really connected with anyone like I normally would. Maybe Nigel hit the nail on the head when describing Haley as a great commercial dancer. It’s like the are all capable of giving exactly what the choreographers want but we are missing what they can give to the choreographers. I want to buy Jasmine as the unique one this season but I just don’t feel it. She is a great dancer but often feel her movements look awkward. It may be that she is tall but it still doesn’t look as fluid. Even in the routine last night, Marko went on his toes to make the rocking walk movement look fluid. She stayed flat footed so it didn’t have the same flow. And in defense of Amy all of the dances she has been given are smiley dances. If you watch in the group dances, she is VERY capable of other emotions.

Comment by Kelly McD – August 14, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why don’t they just get that Jenna is not “America’s Favorite Dancer (and isn’t that the point of the show by the way?) and just let the viewers send her home? There is no way that she should be there over Malece and Mackenzie. Why do they bother to let the audience vote if they are going to so seriously override what we think?!

Comment by swimmom66 – August 14, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know, Jenna did lack conviction in her expressions last night and seemed kind of defeated, but she’s always been one of the only girls who really acts out the stories in the numbers rather than just smile the entire time. She was wonderful in the MJ Jazz number AND the Travis Wall piece. I think she’s getting unnecessary amount of backlash.

And Hayley? Her posture was awful in that hip-hop number and again, she smiled the ENTIRE TIME even thought she was supposed to be in character? That’s why the number wasn’t loved, not because there was a ‘fun story’ in it.

Comment by Alex – August 14, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • even though* ugh typos.

Comment by Alex – August 14, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been surprised that Hayley hasn’t been criticized for smiling in every duet. She does look great – maybe the judges don’t want her to downplay her hotness because of the doors it could open for her.

Comment by Josh – August 15, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe I’m wrong because no one else has mentioned it, but it seemed to me Aaron and Katherine messed up in the last bit of the dance where she started spinning on the floor, like something else was supposed to happen and then he just awkwardly picked her up. I thought I saw her mouth “it’s okay” at the end, like comforting him for screwing up there. It just seemed a weird bit there, but I did love the dance overall and think Katherine is amazing!

I also was touched with Cat getting apparently a little emotional after watching Robert walk off the stage, maybe thinking about his accident or something. She held it in pretty well, but I could have sworn by her voice and face that she was just barely containing tears.

I love the all stars so much, but it does make it hard to really pay attention to the contestants.

Comment by Kathy D – August 14, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought that at first too, but after rewatching their rehearsal footage it does look like that was how the move was suppose to go. I have been trying to figure what Kathryn said to him at the end though, and it does kinda look like that’s what she said (better than anything i guessed anyway). And was it just me or did Aaron seem really out of it during the judging? Normally he’s a beaming ball of joy.

Comment by Jaylene – August 14, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really? It looked to me like she was saying “You were great!” Aaron even tweeted that he wouldn’t share what Kathryn said to him because it was special and meant for his ears only. So I doubt it was anything bad!

Comment by Mia – August 14, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I disagree with some of your choices Michael. I felt Aaron was wonderful but Paul was on fire and I hope your prediction is wrong. As for Haley and Twitch…I’ve never heard so much over slobbering dribble in my life. She could not keep up with Twitch. I thought she was awkward and out of sync. It’s hard to take one’s eyes off Twitch and someone awesome has to keep up. I don’t think Haley even came close. I’ve never liked the over hype of Melanie Moore so I feel for Fik-Shun having to put up with that but I thought he held his own with someone who SYTYCD feels is a superstar. Once again I felt Jasmine was the best female.

I hate Disco so I’m pretty biased when it comes to that dance. I didn’t think it was anything special. And that dance version of Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” was sacrilegious. Of all the disco songs, they take a ballad and add dance music to it???? What were they thinking??? Thankfully Mary voiced her opinion on how she hated the song for which I thoroughly agree.

I’ve also heard more Jennifer Lopez than I care to hear. And…why not get the original singer on “I Can’t Make You Love Me”, rather than someone else who doesn’t sound as good?

I was never a fan of Comfort so that routine didn’t even strike a chord with me. Maybe that’s why Nico was eliminated.

As for Paul and Whitney…I don’t get why the votes were so low on your poll. I thought he was probably the 2nd best male and out of Aaron, Jasmine, who I’ll place #1 and #2, I thought he was #3. The problem with this show’s voters is for some reason they don’t like ballroom so every time there is a ballroom dance, those people get sent to the bottom. But for me, too much contemporary dancing.

Now let’s talk Nigel. UGH! Once again his unprofessionalism and lack of tact comes into play. If they voted and he was going to eliminate Kathryn…then just eliminate her and say, at the most, that the votes were not unanimous. The fact that he felt it necessary to pretty much say “don’t blame me”, was not only, as I said, unprofessional, but that’s a slap in the face to Jenna. And whether one feels that Jenna should have gone before Kathryn or not, it’s still unprofessional. But that’s Nigel. I’ll never forget during S3 of American Idol, when he went around the audience, after LaToya was eliminated over Jasmine (yes I was there that evening) and told them to boo loudly, never once taking Jasmine (who was all of 18 aat the time) and her feelings into consideration. What a low class idiot he is.

So….if it was up to me, Tucker would be the next male to go and as for the females…don’t precisely care because the only one I like is Jasmine.

I also wish they’d get new music.

Comment by Lily L – August 14, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post