Fall TV Preview

Parenthood Exclusive: Jane By Design Hottie Fashions a Friendship with Amber

MATTHEW ATKINSONIs Parenthood‘s Amber going to find herself torn between two lovers?

Matthew Atkinson, an alum of ABC Family’s Jane By Design, is joining the NBC drama’s fifth season in a multi-episode arc, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | Parenthood Season 5 Spoilers: Wedding for Sarah and Hank?

The actor will play Zach, the drummer in the band fronted by new arrival Oliver (All American Rejects‘ Tyson Ritter) who bonds with Amber while recording at the Luncheonette.

It’s safe to say Amber’s main squeeze Ryan (the returning Matt Lauria) will have something to say about her new *cough* friend.

Parenthood‘s fifth season premieres Thursday, Sept. 26 at 10/9c.

Comments (19)

• I don’t like her with Ryan so I welcome anyone that throws a kink in the works.

Comment by tp – August 12, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Ryan and Amber, but I just get this feeling that with Ryan’s history that Amber is bounded to the same fate of love like her mother, Sarah. So I guess I’m alright with this guy as long as he’s good for her…

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell (@Jarry9493) – August 12, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as Ryan and Amber are endgame im ok with a new suitor

Comment by rod – August 12, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not crazy about the Amber/Ryan match-up so this suits me just fine :)

Comment by Linderella – August 12, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooo, last year- Sarah is engaged to Mark, when in comes Hank. This year- Amber&Ryan are talking marriage, and in comes this guy. Yay for new, original storylines = )!

Comment by Courtney – August 12, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unfortunately all I see when Ryan is onscreen is the character he played on Private Practice. He will never be someone I would like with Amber. Bring back the Politician.

Comment by Diane – August 12, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Huh? Matt Lauria was never on Private Practice…

Comment by SJ – August 13, 2013 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I remember him from “Friday Night Lights”…. he played Luke. I like him with Amber. Hope they could have a meaningful relationship. Not sure about who Sarah belongs with. She still has to figure out what she wants and who she is. Wish she had more confidence in herself.

Comment by C.J. DeMasi – August 13, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Ryan – just hoping he doesn’t get hurt in this process. Hope Ryan and Amber end up together!

Comment by HT – August 13, 2013 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ausiello has a really cute way of saying ‘Parenthood’.

Comment by Miranda – August 13, 2013 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber is too young to get married so some additional dating is good … Ryan seems good for her but he needs some PTSD counseling and it would be wonderful if Parenthood showed that being successful and Ryan turning things around – many veterans do succeed you know and I think it would be good to see that direction for such a story for a change.

As for Sarah – no, no marriage to Hank … If she is not going to marry Mark, then how about a normal good man for her for a change? Someone age appropriate, gainfully employed and without too much baggage …..

Comment by Bonnie Ward – August 13, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever! Just as long as you keep the revolving door of men for Amber spinning, she will be utterly annoying and unlikeable.

Comment by Joan McClure – August 13, 2013 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Ryan and Amber but I wouldn’t be upset if she dated some new eye candy.

Comment by Elyse – August 13, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • September 26th. I can not effing wait.

Comment by jimbo – August 13, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her?

Comment by Jason – August 13, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I get they need drama, but no, just no. Don’t mess with Amber and Ryan. Didn’t they go through enough last season only to have an awesome reunion in the finale? They are not only a fan favourite but the actor’s love them together too, as well as the shows producers like Katims.

Comment by Melissa Mens – August 13, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Ryan and Amber together so I against anything that disrupts that. I do however love Parenthood scoop! Can’t wait for the new season!

Comment by Robin – August 13, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Ryan and Amber together, and he was doing therapy late last season so he is working on getting over the PTSD – they remind me of Amber’s grandma and grandpa working through his post-Vietnam issues so I hope they last, but maybe a flirtation with a flaky musician to make Amber realise how rock solid her soldier would be long term!

Comment by Karen – August 13, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post