NBC Eyes Futuristic Prison Break-Esque Drama

NBC Orders Paradise PilotArrow producer Greg Berlanti has just locked up a deal to create a futuristic prison drama at NBC.

The Peacock Net has given Berlanti and author Seth Grahame-Smith (Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter) a put-pilot commitment for a potential series called Paradise, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | Jay Leno to Depart NBC’s Tonight Show in February

The premise: In the late 21st century, the city of Las Vegas has become the world’s biggest maximum-security prison, which is known as Paradise. When a doctor named Matthew Turner is wrongly jailed for a murder he didn’t commit, he struggles to find a way to become the facility’s first-ever escapee.

Grahame-Smith will pen the project and will executive-produce with Berlanti, Melissa Kellner Berman (Arrow) and David Katzenberg (Ben and Kate).

Got snap judgments on the potential series, merely based on the (very) early synopsis? And is it too much to hope that Dr. Matthew Turner will be a tattooed stud along the lines of Wentworth Miller’s Prison Break character? Sound off in the comments!

1. Make it a spin off of Defiance, in which Las Vegas is a prison.

Or just make it a TV version of the “Escape From…” movies and cast Kurt Rusell as Plisken!

• ajintexas says:

lol, this was my first thought when I read Las vegas was a prison. What a great prison to be in. Boos, hookers, gambling, you name it!

2. Anna says:

I like prison shows. $50 that the second episode will be called ‘Welcome to Paradise’ or a secondary character will tell the main character the same thing in the Pilot.

3. FayeD says:

With all the writers in Hollywood and all the would be writers everywhere, why can’t there be new stories?

4. M3rc Nate says:

First and biggest mistake? NBC. If you want your show to die, have low viewership or to just suck (bad writing, bad coloration, bad acting) you get a show on NBC. Gritty shows are possible on Fox, and even more gritty and fantastic is Cable. This show should be on FX (FXX) or TNT or something. They could have amazing characters and amazing writing and be gritty and dark and do things that Prison Break could only dream of doing on network TV.

Overall though, i like the premise….i see it as most likely becoming a reality (a HUUUUGE prison facility that is totally high tech and “breakout proof”) so thats nice. I worry that Prison Break did so many of the “break out of prison” story lines and plot devices that when i see them again on this show it will be boring and lame.

5. fayedigi says:

I have to make another comment as well. I watched the first few seasons of Prison Break on Fox until the show really wore out its welcome. I think Hubby might have stuck with it until the end. But networks need to realize the women make up a lot of the tv viewing audience. They also make a lot of buying decisions. I think women in general tend to be interested in fantasies particularly where romance is involved. It is a shame that networks have to rehash old stories while at the same time canceling after one season a show like Moonlight (not Moonlighting – this one was about Vampires living among us) that had a significant dedicated audience. I realize it isn’t coming back but it just makes me wonder about Network executives in general?

• M3rc Nate says:

Oh come on, there was tons of romance and intimacy in Prison Break, i mean it was man on man prison b*tch style, and prison rape…but that doesnt make you want to buy a new shampoo? lol. I get what you mean…there should be a balance. Though id argue if you took all the shows on TV in the past few years (network tv) and compared them in a pie chart…a LOT are made for women. Granted they are low quality prime time soap operas but still…i mean who else is Greys Anatomy/Desperate Housewives/Good Wife/Devious Maids/Private Practice etc for?

I just went to each network TV’s website and looked at their “shows” tab that shows all the shows they have on TV, i would argue that almost all are pretty balanced, there arent many that lean strongly in one direction or the other (strongly male demo or strongly female demo). I mean with shows like Grimm, Bones, Castle, Blue Bloods etc…they have both sexes appeal.

Oh and PS, i watched all of Prison Break, and one of my favorite parts WAS the romance/love story of the main character and the nurse…granted it was at its best pre-breakout because post-breakout they barely saw each other..cause he was on the run and couldnt take her with..but still even in a prison break story there can be a love story. I also would argue that there is more to women intellectually than a overwhelming need to watch romance/fantasies. I mean yes its okay to watch and love Once Upon a Time and be literally watching the love story of Disney characters lol (which can be argued have ruined a few generations lack of realistic views on relationships)…but at the same time women can love shows like Justified or Sons of Anarchy or Breaking Bad…shows that are dark and gruesome and full of manly man stuff and breaking bones and shoot outs etc…

• fayedigi says:

Thanks for your comment. I wasn’t necessarily talking about stories with a “happily ever after” since you are right that they have ruined a few generations lack of realistic views on relationships, but I was talking about shows live “Once Upon A time” and “Grimm” “Beauty and the Beast” and maybe even “Castle.” Also going further back maybe “Joan of Arcadia.” I am getting sick and tired of constant rehashes on the Networks. By the way, this is in a totally different vein, but “Broadchurch” and “Orphan Black” on BBC are really good shows.

• neha says:

Minor point – Sara wasn’t a nurse, she was a doctor. It was one of my favorite parts too, just because I thought it served as a really good contrast to the prison world. That show was just never the same after season 1.

• M3rc Nate says:

Oh ya, true. Ya i agree, i mean it had to change, they had to escape and means changing a ton of stuff (they wouldnt be in the prison anymore, etc)…and i even enjoyed their being a “secret plot” and the mysteries, however as they kept growing and involving a vice president and all that (around season 3 or 4 or something) like most, my opinion of the show dropped.

6. n8ball78 says:

Could be good as long as they don’t ruin it like they did prison break.

7. JT says:

This sounds like the game Batman Arkham City too me.

8. Sareeta says:

The best thing about Prison Break was the casting. The first couple seasons were great, but then it just went on and on.

9. Tina B. says:

I like it and it sounds like prison break but please I beg of you, no T-bag character!

10. Kayla says:

T-bag was the best written and portrayed character.

The relevant question, and I’m surprised no one has asked it yet- when is Wentworth Miller going to grace my tv again in a starring role‽

11. Pat D. says:

I’ve said it before—the first 2 seasons of PB were amazing…near flawless at times (I actually like season 2 when Will Fichtner was on their tail, man he played that role well). Season 3 was decidedly less so, and 4 was just horrid. It became quite obvious that they ran out of ideas after season 2, did a credible job working on season 3 with a bit of a season 1 rehash, and went off the deep end with the silly Scylla plot in season 4.

Man, was Jodi Lyn O’Keefe one hell of a hottie killer though. Wowza.

12. amycorvus says:

Reblogged this on Neon Disease.

13. amanda says:

i absolutely loved prison break! wentworth miller looked so hot and his relationship with Sara was one of the best parts of the show! i thought seasons 1 and 2 were excellent, the rest was just so-so, but i still watched for wentworth! we need to bring him back to tv!

14. THE TV CRITIC says:

Esquire anyone? This show would be perfect there since they own that network.