Ratings: Breaking Bad Treads Mightily, Scores Most-Watched Episode to Date

breaking bad ratingsBreaking Bad‘s final eight-episode run got off to a record-breaking start, with a best-ever 5.9 million viewers catching Sunday’s episode.

PHOTOS | Breaking Bad’s 8 Most Bitchin’ and Bold Twists

That represents a 102 percent (!!!) spike over the AMC drama’s Season 5 premiere last summer (2.9 million).

The premiere of Low Winter Sun, which followed at 10/9c, shed roughly half of Bad‘s lead-in (2.5 million viewers).

Meanwhile, Hell on Wheels‘ Season 3 opener on Saturday attracted 2.5 million viewers, up a tick from the show’s Season 2 debut.

1. Awesome for Breaking Bad

2. MrMank says:

Awesome news!! And great news for Hell On Wheels, too, considering it moved to Saturday. Live that show!

3. Angie S says:

Didn’t disappoint. BB premiere lived up to the hype. Looking forward to this season. I love Hell on Wheels too. Hope it’s as good as season 1.

4. wrstlgirl says:

I haven’t watch BB or LWS yet but I loved the HOW premiere. I hope you don’t mind if I ask this here but how are the ratings for Crossing Lines on NBC. I’m wondering if it will be renewed or if it’s just going to end after next weeks finale’.

5. Mary says:

Too bad BB is ending for AMC. I really hope they launch the BB/Saul spinoff. I think it would have a decent audience to start.

6. zacqua10 says:

This is why more networks need to get with the times and put their shows online so people can stream them. If all of the previous seasons of Breaking Bad weren’t on Netflix, I would’ve never been able to contribute to the 5.9 million people watching.

• Laura says:

I agree. And many networks are already putting previous/current seasons of their shows on different streaming sites.

• The Beach says:

So true. A few years ago I hadn’t watched BB but kept hearing how good it was. So I spent a weekend catching the first two seasons on Netflix and I was hooked. If I hadn’t been able to play catch-up I may have never started watching it would have missed out on the best show on TV.

• Mindy says:

Yep. I convinced a friend to try it. He binge watched all 5 seasons on Netflix in the two weeks preceding this new episode. He was so happy Netflix put season 5 up in enough time to watch it before the new season.

He definitely was one of the new people contributing to the 5.9 million.

• JBC says:

Count me in as one who had always heard how great Breaking Bad was, but never saw it. Then I got a free month of Netflix and saw it on the list and started watching. Needless to say it was addicting and I watched the first 4 seasons. At that time just a few months ago, S5 wasn’t on it yet, but I was able to eventually catch the S5 eps On Demand. So there is a lot to streaming shows, and building audiences that is for sure. I am glad to have had the chance to see this all the way through, because it is one of the best written and best acted shows on television.

7. Eddie says:

Imagine if the final episode beat The Soprano’s finale…

• J says:

It’d be a tough comparison to sell anything with, unfortunately. It’s basic cable vs. pay cable, and basic cable has a built-in advantage of several million viewers. The Sopranos out-rating ANYTHING would be considered the bigger deal.

Same goes for basic cable vs. network, which is why people find the high demo numbers of The Walking Dead so impressive. In fact, Breaking Bad’s 3.6 demo number is also way higher than almost anything on network, too (that isn’t on streaming-averse CBS, that is).

Well done, AMC.

8. Midori says:

I guess the spinoff idea will be given a greenlight soon. :)

9. R.O.B. says:

There is a lot of talk about a spinoff from Breaking Bad based on Saul. I have a much better idea. Create a series that begins at the same time Walt and Jessie begin cooking up their first batch of meth. It occurs somewhere else in the US, completely different characters. One set of characters might be a young guy just recently graduated from college, who is living with his parents while he searches for employment – and a guy at a party gives him some of Walt’s crystal. You’d have another set of characters with another situation where one or several of them try the ice, etc. Each of these sets of characters’ lives are profoundly affected by the drugs and take them in wildly dramatic directions. Set in the same world as Breaking bad and directly related because we are seeing stories play out about the people taking the drugs, and the law enforcement officers dealing with it on a smaller scale. So we get the same, dark, gritty drama but about a new set of people, and it is connected to Breaking Bad’s story – not some goofy sitcom about Saul.

Here’s the dream – it’ll never play out, but they could have done it this way if they planned it. At the end of Breaking bad, let’s say Walt is killed, but not by Hank or Jessie or his wife or anyone he knows, but by some random mid-50’s, distraught man telling Walt he ruined his son’s life and killed him. This new series would play through the events over the course of what is it – two years? That leads the father to killing Walter.

10. Thanks for the good writeup. It in reality was once a entertainment account it. Look complicated to far introduced agreeable from you! However, how could we be in contact?