Orphan Black Creators Promise No 'Throwaway Clones,' Hint at Tiny Time Jump in Season 2

orphan black season 2If and when Orphan Black adds another clone to Tatiana Maslany’s award-winning repertoire, the show’s creators insist the new addition will be put through a rigorous vetting process before debuting onscreen.

“We treat our [clones] very seriously and don’t want to introduce a lot of redshirts,” promises exec producer Graeme Manson. “We don’t want throwaway clones. If we’re going to introduce a new clone, we’re going to work very hard on it with Tatiana.”

VIDEO | Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany Responds to the Emmy Snub Heard ‘Round the World

And while Manson — who dropped by TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite last month along with fellow EP John Fawcett — stops short of officially confirming the arrival of No. 8 in the BBC America thriller’s upcoming second season, he does concede, “I think it’s safe to say we would love to meet a new clone in Season 2.”

For more on what’s ahead, including teases about time jumps and episode titles, press PLAY below.

1. JKS says:

Good Lord don’t introduce another one. Fans are already complaining that their favorite clones don’t get enough screen time as it is!

• I wouldn’t mind another one because Helena is dead, but I really don’t want them to overdo it.

• Kate says:

Still not sold on the idea Helena is dead. Just not buying it.

• shade says:

There’s no “buying it”. She was shot fatally, this is not some Sherlock or similiar stuff, she’s not some genius. And the showrunners confirmed it too, although I can’t find the news article

• Mike H. says:

Well, she was shot. “Fatally” remains to be seen. I mean, Kira was run over by a car and recovered remarkably fast, and that plot thread presumably wasn’t introduced for no reason (or ever followed up on, so far). Kira is Sarah’s daughter, Sarah and Helena are genetically identical… it’s not exactly a huge leap from there to “Helena survives being shot just like she survived getting a rusty chunk of metal plunged into her abdomen.”

• kavyn says:

Did you not see all of the scratches Helena has? Plus she got stabbed by a lead pipe I think. If anyone could survive the gunshot, it’s her.

Not to mention Helena being Sarah’s twin had some amazing story potential. I wouldn’t hate it if Helena survived.

• Creators were the ones who said she was shot fatally in the chest. They were the ones who said she is really dead. That was their goal all along. She was never meant to live through another season. Tatiana Maslany also confirmed it in another interview. She will not be playing Helena in season 2. And frankly, the introduction of new clone(s) in season 2 just cements that.

2. Elyse says:

I love the clones! I would love to meet another :) though Sarah, Alison and Cosima will always be my favorites.

3. M says:

More people need to be talking about the fact how amazing Maslany is at embodying so many diverse characters. The fact that we’re having a conversation that there could be more should shock the hell out of us. EMMY SNUBBERS, SHAME ON YOU!

4. Babygate says:

Please don’t let Helena be dead! Let her come back somehow. But what I really want to know is: can we get more than just 10 episodes? Please?

• LDSK says:

As much as the fans would like this I’m not sure it would be a good idea. Playing the lead character who is in almost EVERY scene must be absolutly exhausting for Tatiana. I’m not sure she could keep it up for a longer season…at least not at the same quality we are used to. Also, a shorter season means no filler episodes and I certainly appreciate that.

5. Tav says:

Right? Sarah and Helena are seestras with a special connecktion! She must live :D

6. Louise says:

I didn’t care much for Helena so I’m not sad to see her go. Rachel sounds interesting enough but I agree that adding too many clones is going to make this way too silly. I just want more of Cosima and Alison in season 2. And Felix and Delphine.

7. Mike R. says:

There are more clones out there, so to never see more would be cheap, bring in more clones, but don’t over do it, so we see less of the ones we already love.

8. t says:

She so should have been nominated!!

9. DeeKayTee says:

I just want Helena back!!!

10. Bob says:

And where are the clones?
    There ought to be clones.
    Well, maybe next year.
    Quick, send in the clones.
    Don’t bother, they’re here.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

11. Todd says:

I think another whole set of clones that the “current” set comes across would be great.
    If you’ve ever read Shakespeare’s “A Comedy of Errors” you can see the possibilities.

12. Andy says:

Even if Helena is dead I hope that Tatiana can get to play some flashback scenes as her in the next season. She was my favorite clone! New clones would be great as well though.

13. queen says:

i love sarah,cosima nd allison….they’re sure doing gr8t.wish to see more of dem

14. Don’t think Helena really died. I would miss her so much!

15. Ashley says:

UGH!……………..why wait until spring for season 2?
    For the record i seriously DON’T think helena is dead either…..she’s coming back.

16. viv alyssa says:

Helena is my favorite and I really hope she survived :< but new clone wouldn't be for bad either. if she is interesting.. not like Allison or Sarah.

17. Im not sold on the hole helena being dead either, im pretty sure that she isnt. My reasons, sarahs kid Ciara, remeber when she got hit by the car, there was a comment on maybe healing got passed down, well if there is anything in that, then the healing is in sarahs blood,, then healing is also in Helenas dna, just a thought….

18. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you
    relied on the video to make your point. You definitely know what
    youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us
    something enlightening to read?