Orphan Black Creators Promise No 'Throwaway Clones,' Hint at Tiny Time Jump in Season 2

Get More: Previews, Scoop, Video

orphan black season 2If and when Orphan Black adds another clone to Tatiana Maslany’s award-winning repertoire, the show’s creators insist the new addition will be put through a rigorous vetting process before debuting onscreen.

“We treat our [clones] very seriously and don’t want to introduce a lot of redshirts,” promises exec producer Graeme Manson. “We don’t want throwaway clones. If we’re going to introduce a new clone, we’re going to work very hard on it with Tatiana.”

VIDEO | Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany Responds to the Emmy Snub Heard ‘Round the World

And while Manson — who dropped by TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite last month along with fellow EP John Fawcett — stops short of officially confirming the arrival of No. 8 in the BBC America thriller’s upcoming second season, he does concede, “I think it’s safe to say we would love to meet a new clone in Season 2.”

For more on what’s ahead, including teases about time jumps and episode titles, press PLAY below.

Comments (29)

• Good Lord don’t introduce another one. Fans are already complaining that their favorite clones don’t get enough screen time as it is!

Comment by JKS – August 9, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t mind another one because Helena is dead, but I really don’t want them to overdo it.

Comment by manu (@324B21) – August 9, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Still not sold on the idea Helena is dead. Just not buying it.

Comment by Kate – August 9, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There’s no “buying it”. She was shot fatally, this is not some Sherlock or similiar stuff, she’s not some genius. And the showrunners confirmed it too, although I can’t find the news article

Comment by shade – August 9, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well, she was shot. “Fatally” remains to be seen. I mean, Kira was run over by a car and recovered remarkably fast, and that plot thread presumably wasn’t introduced for no reason (or ever followed up on, so far). Kira is Sarah’s daughter, Sarah and Helena are genetically identical… it’s not exactly a huge leap from there to “Helena survives being shot just like she survived getting a rusty chunk of metal plunged into her abdomen.”

Comment by Mike H. – August 9, 2013 11:02 PM PDT
          • Did you not see all of the scratches Helena has? Plus she got stabbed by a lead pipe I think. If anyone could survive the gunshot, it’s her.

Not to mention Helena being Sarah’s twin had some amazing story potential. I wouldn’t hate it if Helena survived.

Comment by kavyn – August 10, 2013 01:56 PM PDT
          • Creators were the ones who said she was shot fatally in the chest. They were the ones who said she is really dead. That was their goal all along. She was never meant to live through another season. Tatiana Maslany also confirmed it in another interview. She will not be playing Helena in season 2. And frankly, the introduction of new clone(s) in season 2 just cements that.

Comment by manu (@324B21) – August 12, 2013 08:49 AM PDT
  • I love the clones! I would love to meet another :) though Sarah, Alison and Cosima will always be my favorites.

Comment by Elyse – August 9, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More people need to be talking about the fact how amazing Maslany is at embodying so many diverse characters. The fact that we’re having a conversation that there could be more should shock the hell out of us. EMMY SNUBBERS, SHAME ON YOU!

Comment by M – August 9, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!

Comment by April – August 9, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Get over it. Someone is always going to be left out of the Emmy noms. And it usually is the more obscure shows on the obscure networks.

Comment by DS – August 11, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please don’t let Helena be dead! Let her come back somehow. But what I really want to know is: can we get more than just 10 episodes? Please?

Comment by Babygate – August 9, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As much as the fans would like this I’m not sure it would be a good idea. Playing the lead character who is in almost EVERY scene must be absolutly exhausting for Tatiana. I’m not sure she could keep it up for a longer season…at least not at the same quality we are used to. Also, a shorter season means no filler episodes and I certainly appreciate that.

Comment by LDSK – August 9, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly.

Comment by manu (@324B21) – August 9, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This is why I prefer the British shows. They have a story & stick to it. The US shows get ruined by being renewed & the viewers make or break a character’s demise thus causing a complete change in plot. Then the shows get the filler episodes.

Comment by me – November 4, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Right? Sarah and Helena are seestras with a special connecktion! She must live :D

Comment by Tav – August 9, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hahaha I started saying seestra everytime & I love it!!!

Comment by Sara – August 10, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t care much for Helena so I’m not sad to see her go. Rachel sounds interesting enough but I agree that adding too many clones is going to make this way too silly. I just want more of Cosima and Alison in season 2. And Felix and Delphine.

Comment by Louise – August 9, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are more clones out there, so to never see more would be cheap, bring in more clones, but don’t over do it, so we see less of the ones we already love.

Comment by Mike R. – August 9, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She so should have been nominated!!

Comment by t – August 9, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want Helena back!!!

Comment by DeeKayTee – August 11, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And where are the clones?
    There ought to be clones.
    Well, maybe next year.
    Quick, send in the clones.
    Don’t bother, they’re here.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Comment by Bob – August 12, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think another whole set of clones that the “current” set comes across would be great.
    If you’ve ever read Shakespeare’s “A Comedy of Errors” you can see the possibilities.

Comment by Todd – August 12, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even if Helena is dead I hope that Tatiana can get to play some flashback scenes as her in the next season. She was my favorite clone! New clones would be great as well though.

Comment by Andy – August 13, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love sarah,cosima nd allison….they’re sure doing gr8t.wish to see more of dem

Comment by queen – August 29, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t think Helena really died. I would miss her so much!

Comment by Prince Mark Fish – September 12, 2013 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • UGH!……………..why wait until spring for season 2?
    For the record i seriously DON’T think helena is dead either…..she’s coming back.

Comment by Ashley – September 19, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Helena is my favorite and I really hope she survived :< but new clone wouldn't be for bad either. if she is interesting.. not like Allison or Sarah.

Comment by viv alyssa – October 16, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im not sold on the hole helena being dead either, im pretty sure that she isnt. My reasons, sarahs kid Ciara, remeber when she got hit by the car, there was a comment on maybe healing got passed down, well if there is anything in that, then the healing is in sarahs blood,, then healing is also in Helenas dna, just a thought….

Comment by Richard Browne – October 16, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post