Fall TV Preview

Parks and Rec Scoop: EP Mike Schur Reveals Who's 'Replacing' Ann as Leslie's BFF

Parks And Recreation Ann Perkins LeavingThe departure of Rashida Jones‘ Ann midway through Parks and Recreation‘s upcoming sixth season is going to leave a huge vacancy in her BFF Leslie Knope’s (Amy Poehler) social circle — so huge it will take more than one person to fill it.

According to executive producer Mike Schur, the NBC comedy will “position different people to fill in parts of her emotional world. It won’t be just one person.”

RELATED | Parks and Recreation Exclusive: Comedian Cast as [Spoiler]‘s Eagleton ‘Twin’

To wit, “There’s something that April does in the [London-set, Sept. 26] premiere that’s sort of a harbinger of things to come,” Schur reveals. “And we’re bringing Retta a lot more to the forefront this season. Donna and Leslie will have some good connections and some good screen time together.”

By the time Jones exits in February, Schur notes that Leslie and Ann will have spent “103 episodes interacting and becoming friends. We’re not just going to suddenly pretend that a new actor can come in and be, like, Leslie’s new best friend. It’s going to be people she already knows and relies on and cares about.”

PHOTOS | Chris Pratt’s Killer New Body: 5 Ways Parks and Rec Could Use it in Season 6

And by all accounts she’s going to really need a strong support system after Ann leaves town (with Rob Lowe’s Chris in tow). Previews Schur: “The biggest personal story that Leslie goes through this season is dealing with her friend leaving.”

Comments (36)

• This should give April, Donna, and Ben new and ample storylines to go with Leslie. The loss of Rashida stinks for the fans of her work but I do believe that this will give the show a new life. Very excited for season six. Thank you TvLine for keeping on top of this story. You guys have been great!

Comment by Elizabeth – August 8, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree completely. I think the show needed something to shake things up and this will hopefully provide opportunities for new and interesting storylines. So looking forward to the new season!

Comment by Michelle – August 8, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ben’s the reason for Ann’s reduced role in recent years. He took her place as Leslie’s confidante and straight man, leaving Ann with no real purpose on the show (and a poor baby plot to boot), so he’s no one in need of storylines.

Comment by ... – August 8, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Outside of being Leslie’s BFF, the writers have never really seemed to know what to do with Ann. I’ll miss Leslie/Ann friendship times, but I think this will ultimately be good for the show.

Comment by Alana – August 8, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to see her be beasties with Lucy Lawless. That would be like being friends with Ron but different. Plus you know Xena!

Comment by Jem – August 8, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Beasties? Well, I think Lawless would be up for it, but not sure about Poehler. Maybe they could just be “Besties”?

Comment by Bob – August 9, 2013 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy that Donna is going to get more screen time!

Comment by Babybop – August 8, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! Always thought she was way underutilized. Would also like to see more of Jerry and his family. They crack me up.

Comment by Liza180 – August 8, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh Jerry and his family is just hilarious, and i’m so glad Donna will get more screen time. #TreatYaSelf

Comment by Luna – August 8, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Leslie & Andy’s friendship would be sweet. We have seen her support him through trying to get April in season 3, and he supported her through her city councillor campaign and the ‘Leslie/Sentar’ painting. Plus they are both equally dorky.

Comment by Eddie – August 8, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want to see a lot of Jean Ralphio and Tom together. Hilarious duo!

Comment by Pete – August 8, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! They’re LITERALLY the best!
      But I’m still sad about Ann and realllly depressed over Chris leaving.

Comment by Ewelina – August 10, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could see Leslie and Donna being Best friends.

Comment by Joey – August 8, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MORE RETTA ALWAYS

Comment by John – August 8, 2013 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oddly, I’m not going to miss Rob Lowe’s character that much. I’ll miss Ann cause Rashida Jones is funny, but I got tired of Chris a lot. If his going paves the way for more Donna, I’m all for it.

Comment by Liza180 – August 8, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Donna = win!

Comment by Eliza – August 8, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. No one really watches this show. It’s just a fringe thing with terrible ratings.

Comment by Caitlin P – August 8, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one, that’s why is still on air, can’t you see any comment on this page? I mean, why do you speak universally? What the hell is going on with you? Not even my younger brother use sentences like that.

Comment by Luna – August 8, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seems to be popular with trolls, though.

Comment by Get A Life – August 8, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Based on a scientific analysis, very popular with trolls. For every 10 trolls, 2 hate on Parks and Rec (or another lower rated but critically acclaimed show), 2 grumble about seeing Lena Dunham naked and/or sense of youth entitlement on Girls, 2 hate watch The Newsroom, 1 picks fights on Bones and Castle boards playing one side against the other, 2 hate all things Lady Mary on Downton Abbey while thinking Edith is God’s gift, and 1 goes around to various boards and articles talking about the Kardashians or the royal baby or something reality-based writing ‘I don’t know who these people are!! Why aren’t we focusing on [fill in the blank, e.g. Syrian] refugees! This is so stupid! Who cares?’ while failing to notice that nobody forced them to click on the article and it’s possible to pay attention to more than one thing in the world.

Comment by scooby – August 8, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wait, I hate Mary, and I don’t consider myself a troll. She’s got an AWFUL personality in the first season. Then again I also don’t comment on articles. (I realize how hypocritical that makes this comment.)

Comment by name required – August 8, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We don’t want people like Caitlin P watching this show anyway. She is clearly one of those Eagletonians.

Comment by Josh – August 8, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, Caitlin, thank you for thinking for everyone today. Takes a load off the rest of us. Feel free to fill in any time.

Comment by Bob – August 9, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Retta…yay!!!

Comment by Lorie – August 8, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “The biggest personal story that Leslie goes through this season is dealing with her friend leaving.”

Nope. That’s it. I’m already sobbing. This is supposed to be a comedy and yet this show has made me cry more times than any drama. It’s going to be so hard to see Rashida and Rob leave…

Comment by Spencer – August 8, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m going to miss both chris and ann as characters (chris/ron plotlines have consistently been hilarious and i just really like ann) but i think their departure’s going to ultimately be a good thing for the show. *very* happy about more retta. always more retta.

Comment by Pish – August 8, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Leslie and Jean Ralphio should strike up a friendship. Much to Ben’s dismay.

Comment by John – August 8, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ann cannot leave. I know that the writers had Amy Poehler in mind when the wrote the show. But if Ann never went to that first town hall meeting in season one and complained about the pitt behind her house then Leslie would have never gotten involved and she never would have had her sub committee to build the park. Can please also end the show with the park finally built and with the plans that Mark left leslie at the end of season two and him coming back and telling her “I wouldn’t bet against you and I never did”

Comment by Alejandro – August 8, 2013 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who is Mark?

Comment by Sarah – August 9, 2013 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Mark Brendanawicz (Paul Schneider) character was the city planner for the first two seasons. Leslie had a thing for him, but he was more interested in Ann. In his final episode, he gave Leslie the plans for building the park she wants on the empty lot.

Comment by Bob – August 9, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mark Brendanawicz, the city manager from seasons 1 and 2. He dated Ann for a while. The last episode of season 2 explains what park plans im talking about.

Comment by Alejandro – August 9, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Jerry should be her new Bestie. It would be completely out of character, and the comedy potential for that duo is off the charts.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – August 9, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should make it a competition, have two strong characters with great chemistry with each other and Leslie and they want to be her new BFF. Have them to do all the zany things a la Leslie needs and it will be hilarious just to see who wants it more :) I also feel that Ann and Leslie will always be besties whether we see Ann or not…they can mention her and Chris over the remainder of the year and into next too – there is no way Leslie would never not talk to Ann in some form or fashion…just flipant remarks from Leslie on Ann’s cravings, Chris’s hysteria and flying to Sweden to get some crazy food Ann has to have :) Can be so easy to keep them relevant without having to see them!!!

Comment by Belle – August 9, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post