Game of Thrones Actor to Pull Double Duty in Starz's Historical Drama Outlander

Outlander Season 1 Cast Tobias MenziesStarz’s Outlander has found its villain… and then some.

Game of Thrones alum Tobias Menzies will portray both 18th-century British baddie Jonathan “Black Jack” Randall and his 20th-century kin Frank in the cabler’s forthcoming time-travel series, TVLine has confirmed.

Outlander follows the story of Claire Randall, a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world where her life is threatened and she is forced to marry Jamie Fraser, a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior.

RELATED | Cast and Producers of Starz’s Black Sails Promise Nudity, Sex and a ‘Huge, Big Mess of an Ending’

Frank is Claire’s husband, a professional historian with an interest in the 18th-century and his own family tree. “Black Jack” Randall, one of Frank’s ancestors, is a British Army captain with a dark, violent streak. Though the men look very much alike, Claire learns, they couldn’t be more different.

Author Diana Gabaldon, who penned the series of novels on which Outlander is based, excitedly announced the casting via Twitter (while acknowledging that the role fans are most curious about is still under wraps):

Thrones fans will recognize Menzies as Edmure Tully, brother of Lady Catelyn Stark. He also played Rome‘s Marcus Junius Brutus and has appeared on Doctor Who and in the film Casino Royale.

Battlestar Galactica‘s Ronald D. Moore will write and, with Jim Kohlberg, executive-produce Outlander. In July, Sam Heughan was cast as Jamie. Production on the 16-episode season begins filming in Scotland this fall; the premiere is expected in 2014.

1. courts says:

He’s too old now but when I read the books I always imagined Jason Isaacs

2. Alanna says:

I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited for a show than I am for Outlander!

• Pati says:

Me too I am so excited I’m telling everyone about it. I cannot wait. I am so happy with the choice for Jamie they got it right. For this guy don’t really have an opinion, I’ve never seen him before GOT. I’ll wait for the show to judge

3. Lucy says:

I always pictured Jack and Frank as more tall and lean, like Ioan Gruffudd. Not this Jeremy Piven lookalike. I am leaning more and more towards skipping this show and sticking with the Outlander in my mind.

• DawnM Simons says:

He doesn’t look at all like Jeremy Piven. This picture gives a very small likeness but only if you really look for it. and I always pictured Ioan Gruffold for Roger.

• DT says:

I think Menzies is a great choice to play the dual roles. He played a sympathetic villain in HBO’s Rome. And I also remember he played William Elliott in a TV adaptation of Jane Austen’s Persuasion. He definitely has the range to play both characters.

4. Tim says:

Don’t know anything about the show but if Game of Thrones sticks to the books he’ll certainly have time to do both.

5. Topaz says:

Tobias Menzies, you’ll always be the drug addict on Casualty to me. Ah, childhood memories…

6. amycorvus says:

Reblogged this on Neon Disease and commented:
    Plot details for this show are giving me some Brigadoon vibes…

7. MandaJ says:

I am so excited about Outlander. When I read updates and news I feel like I can`t breathe, and my face hurts from smiling. I have utter faith that all casting will make sense once we see it in play. Keep the news coming TVLine. You guys rock!

8. Gail says:

Yes!! I always pictured Jason Isaacs too! Very much like his character in The Patriot. Cannot WAIT for this series!!

9. Alice says:

How did I miss the news that Outlander is being made into a series?
    Awesome.

10. Before someone BFDs me, I accidentally mixed up Jim Hofts connection to Fox Nation hes primarily just does the Gateway Pundit thingy, although basically it feels at times like the entire right wing mediasphere share the same offices somewhere deep in Poopkick, TX.

11. Kim says:

I’ve never watch any “series”, but I started with this one mostly interested in the history. Gees Black Jack Randall is pure evil. Excellent job Sir!