Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: CBS' Hostages Grabs Hilarie Burton

Hostages Cast Hilarie BurtonDr. Arizona Robbins’ loss is Tate Donovan’s gain.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Hilarie Burton — who is coming off a well-received, pot-stirring run on Grey’s Anatomy — has been grabbed by CBS’ Hostages.

RELATED | Read TVLine’s First Impression of CBS’ Hostages

The new thriller drama follows Dr. Ellen Sanders (played by Toni Collette), a top-shelf surgeon who with her family is abducted by terrorists the night before she is to operate on the President of the United States. Burton will recur as Samantha, an assistant to Tate Donovan’s Brian Sanders — aka Ellen’s secret-keeping, commercial real estate-dealing husband.

An alum of One Tree Hill, Burton’s other recent TV credits include White Collar and Castle.

RELATED | Hostages Scoop: Grimm Matriarch Replaces Scandal’s Kate Burton as First Lady

Hostages premieres Sept. 23, airing Mondays at 10/9c.

Comments (47)

• I like her, and i was already interested in the show, so I’ll be watching!

Comment by kelly – August 8, 2013 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did her pilot not get picked up? I thought it had.

Comment by Jake – August 8, 2013 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She can’t act , why is she getting work?

Comment by Hannah – August 8, 2013 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL!

Comment by Johnna – August 8, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because she was once on a successful teen soap opera for 6 seasons.

Comment by steven – August 8, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If the networks think you have a million fans in the demo, you will get work even if you can’t act your way out of a paper bag. They’d cast Shannen Doherty or Kristen Stewart over Meryl Streep or Glenn Close if they thought it would give a project a bump with young audiences.

Comment by Marc – August 9, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She can’t act?????? Screw you dude. She’s a freaking treasure. They way she swooned Arizona? Psh. She’ll be excellent

Comment by B – August 8, 2013 10:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • u need help.

Comment by ghost – August 9, 2013 04:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish someone could answer this question, I have no idea. All I know is I was looking forward to Hostages – now I’m out. She already ruined White Collar for me, not even going to give her a chance to spoil another show.

Comment by Rain – August 9, 2013 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you. God, she is painful to watch.

Comment by dude – August 9, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I won’t say she can’t act. But she does have a way of overacting which seems esp. glaring in a show like White Collar. She does seem well connected has a good personality and though she may never get important roles with arcs but she is good enough for fill in roles…

Comment by betty – August 9, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope that means she won’t be back to Grey’s, ever…

Comment by Babygate – August 8, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shonda already said that they have no plans to bring her back, atm. But she just has a recurring role in Hostages, so she is free to appear in other shows.

Comment by Alice – August 8, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy she will be on a new show. I can’t wait to see her on Hostages.

Comment by Joey – August 8, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish she could come back to Grey’s , you know just to stir the pot even more :P

Comment by Chris – August 8, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No idea if there’s even been talk about Sara returning to WC, but since Jeff has such a hard on for that character, even though the fan reaction was mixed at best, anything that might screw with her availability and keep her from coming back even if he wants it is good IMO. Especially if this ends up being the last season of WC, what with the reduced episode order (I’m getting Leverage flashbacks).

Comment by Caitlin Mackie (@all_the_feels) – August 8, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • god I hope this is the last season of white collar the plots have become rather stale.

Comment by Debra Rosenfield – August 8, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why hope for it to be cancelled and end? Why not first hope that the storylines and plots for the next season improve? There are many who still like it and aren’t so quick to quit on it like you seem to be.

Comment by A – August 8, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But at what capacity? Recurring? Regular? Single episode? Multi-episode story arc?

Comment by Nick – August 8, 2013 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For a hot second thought this was that new show with Gillian Anderson and got really excited. Then I looked it up and realized that’s “Crisis” on NBC; both shows have a similar premise it seems…
    Nevertheless, Hilarie’s great so guess I’ll have to check out both series now.

Comment by Tav – August 8, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope Hostages gets one season tops but Crisis over on NBC is a much better series than Hostages in my opinion with an amazing cast from the likes of Gillian Anderson and Dermot Mulroney and great character driven stories.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – August 8, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow that snl skit is going to become so relevant once these shows air. I had to look up Dylan McDermott vs. dermot Mulroney and hostages vs. crisis. It’s all so similar now.

Comment by B – August 8, 2013 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What are you talking about? Not going to watch Hostages for the entire season (15 episodes to be exact) but I got The Blacklist to deal with over on NBC if you don’t care.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – August 9, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also I really dislike you Jack Bauer 2.0. Your comments are always unintelligible and ugh.

Comment by brycealexander – August 9, 2013 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of all the people from OTH I did not expect her to get the most work

Comment by Patricia – August 8, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I felt she was one of the weakest actors on the show, so its surprising that she keeps booking new shows.

Comment by Christie – August 8, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No she wasn’t. Sophia and James were the weakest.

Comment by Annie – August 8, 2013 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Always thought all the core five kids were at about the same level personally. If anyone was week I would say Lenz and CMM.

Comment by B – August 8, 2013 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want her to come back to Grey’s Anatomy for a little while or at least have her return to White Collar some time this coming season,

Comment by A – August 8, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it keeps her away from White Collar, great.

Comment by JCK – August 8, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh man, I was hoping Hilarie would come back on Grey’s because I love watching Jessica and her together. But since this is just a recurring role, hopefully she’ll still be able to show up later in the show (Grey’s)

Comment by Ashley – August 8, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for her and happier for me because I love White Collar and sorry but she was annoying on that one. So if this keeps her away from WC….great!

Comment by brenda – August 8, 2013 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I echo your sentiment but instead of White Collar, insert ‘Greys Anatomy’.

Comment by Babygate – August 9, 2013 01:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, my hope of her returning to Grey’s is just getting smaller and smaller. Really hoped that she would return but chances are pretty slim now.

Comment by Kit – August 9, 2013 02:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news for all the Calzona fans… Sorry but I didn’t like her in Grey’s. Good luck with the new show though…

Comment by Rach – August 9, 2013 03:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she can’t act?

Comment by ghost – August 9, 2013 04:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her… but I hated her on Greys.

Comment by Elyse – August 9, 2013 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like how everyone has different views of who can and can’t act. I think she is good, I was even more convinced when I watched that Grey’s episode. I think her White Collar episodes sometimes weren’t as great but she was good in Grey’s. I think it just depends on the material she is given.

Comment by cas – August 9, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Because television these days is full of wonderful actors. Please, she’s not the best, but far from the worst. You get what, five good actors for ten series on each network? Personally I’m hoping she comes back to White Collar, because Peter/Neal dynamic is becoming painful to watch. Go back to your hun and your Satch, Peter.

Comment by Karen – August 9, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Hilarie Burton, but I like the concept behind this series even less than Mob Doctor. At best this seems like the idea for a movie of the week, at worst a two or three part mini-series. You know someone connected to the show had to of pitched the show titles “Terrorist Doctor” and “Hostage Doctor” before they finally decided on “Hostages.”

Comment by John Sheffield – August 10, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems I might be the only one who likes her on White Collar. Then again, I’ve only just got into the show via Netflix and am coming up to the end of the second season. Oh well. :/

Comment by Naomi – August 11, 2013 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope that she never comes back to White Collar, over 20 episodes for Sara Ellis is plenty. As an original fan, this forced in character was one that didn’t need to have so many episodes and ruined a good deal of eps for me. They gave her a beautiful send off, so let’s MOVE ON WHITE COLLAR. Now as far as HOSTAGES goes, I wish the actress well.

Comment by JBC – August 11, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For a person who can’t act. She keeps getting jobs more than any of the previous OTH gang. She’s the only one constantly getting work, whether it’s small roles or big roles.

Comment by Annie – August 23, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • funny how people here are saying that she can’t act. she was so good in season 6 of One Tree Hill. most of the scenes that stuck to me were her scenes. i also saw her stint in Greys and damned she’s gorgeous and sexy and blends well with the cast. Among all the OTH alums i think she’s the most versatile no wonder she’s getting many jobs. i would love to her in movies.

Comment by lei – October 1, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • after watching her on hostages the only thing I can said is how this chick keeps getting work is beyond me plus the fact she can’t keep a job for more than 2years without being let go, I gotta give it to her, she not letting her non-acting abilities keep her down, she not an ugly girl but she not that attractive either due to the anorexic look and her acting abilities are just awful even in roles she should is well verse in and play them with ease(a tramp and homewrecker), the reviews are horrible for the show and probably won’t make till the 15 episodes, just keeping it real cuz I know the OTH kiddies get real protective of their “role model”

Comment by hp – October 1, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post