Exclusive

Exclusive: CBS' Hostages Grabs Hilarie Burton

Hostages Cast Hilarie BurtonDr. Arizona Robbins’ loss is Tate Donovan’s gain.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Hilarie Burton — who is coming off a well-received, pot-stirring run on Grey’s Anatomy — has been grabbed by CBS’ Hostages.

RELATED | Read TVLine’s First Impression of CBS’ Hostages

The new thriller drama follows Dr. Ellen Sanders (played by Toni Collette), a top-shelf surgeon who with her family is abducted by terrorists the night before she is to operate on the President of the United States. Burton will recur as Samantha, an assistant to Tate Donovan’s Brian Sanders — aka Ellen’s secret-keeping, commercial real estate-dealing husband.

An alum of One Tree Hill, Burton’s other recent TV credits include White Collar and Castle.

RELATED | Hostages Scoop: Grimm Matriarch Replaces Scandal’s Kate Burton as First Lady

Hostages premieres Sept. 23, airing Mondays at 10/9c.

1. kelly says:

I like her, and i was already interested in the show, so I’ll be watching!

2. Jake says:

Did her pilot not get picked up? I thought it had.

3. Hannah says:

She can’t act , why is she getting work?

• steven says:

Because she was once on a successful teen soap opera for 6 seasons.

• Marc says:

If the networks think you have a million fans in the demo, you will get work even if you can’t act your way out of a paper bag. They’d cast Shannen Doherty or Kristen Stewart over Meryl Streep or Glenn Close if they thought it would give a project a bump with young audiences.

• B says:

She can’t act?????? Screw you dude. She’s a freaking treasure. They way she swooned Arizona? Psh. She’ll be excellent

• ghost says:

u need help.

• Rain says:

I wish someone could answer this question, I have no idea. All I know is I was looking forward to Hostages – now I’m out. She already ruined White Collar for me, not even going to give her a chance to spoil another show.

• dude says:

Thank you. God, she is painful to watch.

• betty says:

I won’t say she can’t act. But she does have a way of overacting which seems esp. glaring in a show like White Collar. She does seem well connected has a good personality and though she may never get important roles with arcs but she is good enough for fill in roles…

4. Babygate says:

Hope that means she won’t be back to Grey’s, ever…

• Alice says:

Shonda already said that they have no plans to bring her back, atm. But she just has a recurring role in Hostages, so she is free to appear in other shows.

5. Joey says:

Happy she will be on a new show. I can’t wait to see her on Hostages.

6. Chris says:

I wish she could come back to Grey’s , you know just to stir the pot even more :P

7. No idea if there’s even been talk about Sara returning to WC, but since Jeff has such a hard on for that character, even though the fan reaction was mixed at best, anything that might screw with her availability and keep her from coming back even if he wants it is good IMO. Especially if this ends up being the last season of WC, what with the reduced episode order (I’m getting Leverage flashbacks).

8. Nick says:

But at what capacity? Recurring? Regular? Single episode? Multi-episode story arc?

9. Tav says:

For a hot second thought this was that new show with Gillian Anderson and got really excited. Then I looked it up and realized that’s “Crisis” on NBC; both shows have a similar premise it seems…
    Nevertheless, Hilarie’s great so guess I’ll have to check out both series now.

10. Hope Hostages gets one season tops but Crisis over on NBC is a much better series than Hostages in my opinion with an amazing cast from the likes of Gillian Anderson and Dermot Mulroney and great character driven stories.

11. Patricia says:

Out of all the people from OTH I did not expect her to get the most work

12. A says:

I really want her to come back to Grey’s Anatomy for a little while or at least have her return to White Collar some time this coming season,

13. JCK says:

If it keeps her away from White Collar, great.

14. Ashley says:

Oh man, I was hoping Hilarie would come back on Grey’s because I love watching Jessica and her together. But since this is just a recurring role, hopefully she’ll still be able to show up later in the show (Grey’s)

15. brenda says:

Happy for her and happier for me because I love White Collar and sorry but she was annoying on that one. So if this keeps her away from WC….great!

16. Kit says:

Man, my hope of her returning to Grey’s is just getting smaller and smaller. Really hoped that she would return but chances are pretty slim now.

17. Rach says:

Good news for all the Calzona fans… Sorry but I didn’t like her in Grey’s. Good luck with the new show though…

18. ghost says:

she can’t act?

19. Elyse says:

I love her… but I hated her on Greys.

20. cas says:

I like how everyone has different views of who can and can’t act. I think she is good, I was even more convinced when I watched that Grey’s episode. I think her White Collar episodes sometimes weren’t as great but she was good in Grey’s. I think it just depends on the material she is given.

21. Karen says:

Because television these days is full of wonderful actors. Please, she’s not the best, but far from the worst. You get what, five good actors for ten series on each network? Personally I’m hoping she comes back to White Collar, because Peter/Neal dynamic is becoming painful to watch. Go back to your hun and your Satch, Peter.

22. I like Hilarie Burton, but I like the concept behind this series even less than Mob Doctor. At best this seems like the idea for a movie of the week, at worst a two or three part mini-series. You know someone connected to the show had to of pitched the show titles “Terrorist Doctor” and “Hostage Doctor” before they finally decided on “Hostages.”

23. Naomi says:

It seems I might be the only one who likes her on White Collar. Then again, I’ve only just got into the show via Netflix and am coming up to the end of the second season. Oh well. :/

24. JBC says:

I really hope that she never comes back to White Collar, over 20 episodes for Sara Ellis is plenty. As an original fan, this forced in character was one that didn’t need to have so many episodes and ruined a good deal of eps for me. They gave her a beautiful send off, so let’s MOVE ON WHITE COLLAR. Now as far as HOSTAGES goes, I wish the actress well.

25. Annie says:

For a person who can’t act. She keeps getting jobs more than any of the previous OTH gang. She’s the only one constantly getting work, whether it’s small roles or big roles.

26. lei says:

funny how people here are saying that she can’t act. she was so good in season 6 of One Tree Hill. most of the scenes that stuck to me were her scenes. i also saw her stint in Greys and damned she’s gorgeous and sexy and blends well with the cast. Among all the OTH alums i think she’s the most versatile no wonder she’s getting many jobs. i would love to her in movies.

• hp says:

after watching her on hostages the only thing I can said is how this chick keeps getting work is beyond me plus the fact she can’t keep a job for more than 2years without being let go, I gotta give it to her, she not letting her non-acting abilities keep her down, she not an ugly girl but she not that attractive either due to the anorexic look and her acting abilities are just awful even in roles she should is well verse in and play them with ease(a tramp and homewrecker), the reviews are horrible for the show and probably won’t make till the 15 episodes, just keeping it real cuz I know the OTH kiddies get real protective of their “role model”

27. Taylor Smith says: