Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: 7 Burning Qs (Kinda) Answered -- Plus: Official Poster Unveiled!

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD PreviewThe cast and producers of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., led by prolific EP Joss Whedon, on Sunday granted members of the Television Critics Assoc. Level 7 access to scoop and (very light) spoilers from the hotly-anticipated ABC drama, which bows Sept. 24 at 8/7c.

RESURRECTION | Acknowledging the Avengers’ death of Clark Gregg‘s now-very-much-alive Agent Coulson, exec producer Jeph Loeb admitted, “There was never going to be a show called Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. without Clark.” The actor, for his part, shared that he didn’t want his character’s resurrection to be “anything that undermined the reality of the Avengers.” However, after chatting with Whedon about the arc, “I hung up the phone very deeply on-board.” Why and how Coulson is alive “will be something of a drawn-out explanation,” Whedon revealed.

RELATED | Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Cast — David Conrad

STAYING POWER | “After the pilot, I figured the next episode would be us stuck in an elevator because they spent all their money,” Gregg joked. “But the second [episode] is bigger, more exciting.”

FORMATTING FUN | “There’ll be a challenge every week,” shared Jed, but not some “new hero” with each fresh episode, Joss added. Instead, he said, “It could be a device, a mystery.”

WHEDONVERSE LITE | Whedon said that he’ll be involved in S.H.I.E.L.D. moving forward “as much as an executive producer can who’s also making [Avengers 2].”

CAUTIOUS CROSSOVERS | When it comes to synergy between S.H.I.E.L.D. and any upcoming Marvel big-screen offerings, Whedon shared: “There will be as much as we can allow. We’re still working that out; it’s a fluid process. It’s a fun opportunity, but it’s not the reason behind the show. We don’t want to be an Easter egg farm.”

RELATED | HIMYM‘s Cobie Smulders Joins S.H.I.E.L.D. — Plus: Scoop From the Pilot!

FAMILIAR FACE | “I can neither confirm or deny whether he’s coming back,” Whedon teased of Angel alum J. August Richards, who appears in the pilot. “But I thought he was great, too, so do that math.”

WARRIOR STRONG | On being a “ninja” in S.H.I.E.L.D. — EP Jed Whedon’s words, not ours — Ming-Na Wen confessed, “I am so proud to show off these guns. It’s wonderful to be put to task and raise the bar and work out to carry this character off… And I hate working out, but I do like kicking ass.”

Scroll down for a first look at the show’s official poster…

BQ4Gl27CUAAy3TV.jpg-large

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Fall TV Preview, Previews, TCA Press Tour

1. My money’s on Agents of SHIELD over NCIS.

• stephen says:

i don’t know about that. While im gonna watch agent of sheilds over ncis, people like my mom won’t. U have to remember ncis and alot of cbs shows tend to have older audience age. While geeks like me will head to marvel , others will stick to a show they have watched for 11 years.

• Elf says:

You have to consider the demographics involved. Advertisers don’t care about your mother, or anyone over 49 for that matter, since the belief is that once people hit 50 they’re too set in their ways and their purchasing habits are less likely than younger viewers to be affected much by commercials.

The bottom line is that the networks don’t care about total viewers as much as they do viewers in the target demographic. More viewers in the demographic means they can charge more for commercials, which is their ultimate goal.

• Joe says:

I know it’s probably hard to believe, but some of us old farts (I’m 53) actually know how to use of DVR. In my house, we can’t wait for both the return of NCIS AND the start of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. We’ll DVR them both for later review and probably watch NCIS live… doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy AOS also.

• Scott says:

To be more precise…Advertisers care about LIVE viewers. If you DVR something, you are not going to watch the commercials so it doesn’t do them any good. The winner will be the show with the most LIVE viewers. I predict that will be NCIS.

• sladewilson says:

With Cote leaving and TWC in mortal battle with CBS, you might be right. At least they’re ripe for a run. I just have a feeling that because Cote’s leaving, N.C.I.S. prime is going to up their game, big time… I’m going to be DVRing both anyway… LOL…

• Mary says:

The TWC fight with CBS could be over by the time the fall season starts, so I wouldn’t even count it as a factor in NCIS’ ratings. It’s early August and most shows don’t start until about mid-September. That’s a lot of time for them to finally reach an agreement.

• Esaul says:

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. And regardless, I’m sure TWC will feel the heat if customers switch their cable provider (if they’re able to). This is such a huge mistake on TWC’s part.

• Esaul says:

Please understand that your statement is more than unlikely to happen. NCIS spent years as the underdog before becoming the show it is today. They didn’t grow those numbers over night. Also, it’s not just the older people that watch NCIS. It fits a broad demographic. And you also have to factor that not everyone tuned in for Ziva. Not everyone loved her either. Even if NCIS takes a hit this season, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D won’t come anywhere close to hitting NCIS’ numbers. It’s probable that it could be the best performer of new shows of the season, but it won’t come anywhere being the biggest show in general. So if you want to gamble money on this, I will comfortably double any bets you place on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It’s a brand new show opening a night full of new shows on an hour that ABC previously used for Dancing With the Stars. Even if it does great on its premiere, there’s no guarantee that it will continue to retain the audience week after week. Look at Revolution’s numbers. Huge success at the start, then went into a decline. Look at NCIS’ numbers. There lows aren’t even lows in other network’s standards.

2. PB says:

I wish they would cast Maggie Q for this show….

• popculturedrandoms says:

THIS. With Nikita ending (*sniff*), I will gladly accept having Maggie be on SHIELD. Two of my favourite female bad-asses in one show? YES PLEASE!

3. The Kaibosh says:

This sounds like it will be a lot of fun. But I wouldn’t mind more than just the really rare Easter Egg. Done properly it can be fun and cheeky. For example I can a imagine a throw away scene where Coulson has a large flat box that he is personally taking care of and has to deliver somewhere. People on the team ask about it but he won’t say what it is. Their curiosity gets the better of them and they sneak a peek and see that it’s Captain America’s shield. Coulson then admits embarrassed that he was getting it cleaned.

• Alan says:

yeah i would prefer they separated themselves from the movie a bit, people wont want to go see a movie to get the full story of whats going on.

4. Alia says:

“I hate working out, but I do like kicking ass.”

I’m going to print that out, frame it, and hang it above my exercise bike.

5. Ron Matrisch says:

I love the fact she is coming to the show. I hope they do have some quality people playing heroes

6. Drew says:

Didn’t want to undermine the reality of The Avengers… hehehe

I’m curious to see how this show turns out.not expecting to like it, but I never expected to like Buffy or Veronica Mars either.

7. dude says:

I wonder if they’ll pull (ABC alum) Emily VanCamp into S.H.I.E.L.D. considering she’s going to be in the next Captain America movie. Could be good cross-promotion for SHIELD and Revenge.

• Patrick says:

Yes. This whole show is about keeping the attention on what is now the most valuable film/tv/media property on earth. Cause it isn’t just about Avengers 2. There is a Thor Movie in Nov, and a Cpt. America film next spring. They will pepper in appearances by the big guys themselves before/after the films.

I have always thought this type of thing would work. A TV series that leads up to periodic movies. The X-files sort of tried it, but they didn’t have the gonads to really pursue it.

8. Peter Wall says:

crap poster once again abc gets the cast to line up onfront of a fake background what a groundbreaking poster abc good work its kinda similar tho to the last 40 promo pictures u have done for ur tv shows BORING

9. Steve Sirica says:

In the age of the DVR, OnDemand and the internet I don’t think it matters what shows go up against what shows anymore. People watch TV on their own schedule now. I know I’ve gotten to a point where live TV annoys me. 95% of our TV viewing is from shows recorded on the DVR. Anyway, I know my sons and I will be watching.

• Badpenny says:

Ratings are still based on live broadcasts, though. DVRing something means you can bypass the commercials, and that doesn’t benefit the advertisers. So a show you only watch on DVR probably isn’t going to last long.

• Brenda says:

I hardly EVER watch live TV. It is all on the DVR where I can buzz through the adverts and get on with the show. And yes NCIS and Agents of Shield will be readily available to me in On Demand . I pay a premium to the cable provider so I can watch most anything whenever I want . Other wise I would dump cable altogether .

10. joey says:

I’m excited to see the show and the poster looks great.

11. Christina says:

Any word on what Cobie Smulders involvement with the show will be?

12. lariet50 says:

Am I the only one who thinks Clark Gregg is seriously hot?

13. prish says:

When I saw the death of Agent Coulson in the film, I thought, “This had better not be real.” I am sure all the fans felt that way, so it fits in with the integrity of the Avengers movie and theme to have him, actually, be alive.

14. Wonderful website. Lots of helpful information here.
    I’m sending it to a few pals ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks in your sweat!