TVLine's Performer of the Week: John Oliver

The Daily Show With Jon StewartA weekly feature in which we spotlight shining stars

THE PERFORMER | John Oliver

THE SHOW | The Daily Show With Jon Stewart

THE AIRDATE | July 31, 2013

The story of New York mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner, whose sleazy exploits ran him out of Washington and may cost him yet another election, is a tawdry piece of comedy all on its own. But interim Daily Show host John Oliver’s outrage has turned each twist of the tabloid-ready tale into something transcendent.

Take, for instance, Oliver’s finger-wagging response on Wednesday when Weiner indirectly compared his situation to New York City in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. “You are not doing this. You are not 9/11-ing your d—k pics,” the comedian said, slapping his palm on the anchor desk as the audience hollered. “There is a line, and you just went over that line.”

The jokes were funny, as they have been consistently since the Brit assumed the host’s chair earlier this summer. But the real anger and disillusionment that girded them was what gave Oliver’s delivery an electric charge. How could the disgraced politician get anything done as mayor, Oliver mused? “He has no standing to punish anyone for anything anymore!” As the great Homer J. Simpson once said, it’s funny because it’s true.

Jon, we certainly miss you. But in the meantime, we’re having a great time with your earnest, erudite substitute. And if The Daily Show ever considers expanding itself, we’d wholeheartedly support a regular Friday British invasion if it means Oliver as host.

HONORABLE MENTION | Motive‘s John Pyper-Ferguson

The hook of ABC’s summer crime procedural Motive is that we learn the identity of the killer at the top of the episode — and discover the hows and whys as Kristin Lehman and Louis Ferreira’s detectives solve the case. In Thursday’s installment, “Undertow,” John Pyper-Ferguson (Brothers & Sisters, Burn Notice) played a building contractor so ruined with grief over the death of his son that it drove him to forge a murderous pact: He’d kill someone his boss wanted dead in exchange for his boss murdering the man responsible for the boy’s accidental death. In the course of an hour, we saw Pyper-Ferguson’s transformation from happy, well-adjusted suburban dad to cold-blooded killer. As the actor’s alter-ego bludgeoned and asphyxiated a total stranger in a darkened alleyway, his final vestiges of humanity disappeared, his shark eyes and blank expression an impressive — albeit horrible — climax to a fine hour of television.

What performance knocked your socks off this week?

Comments (40)

• Oh, yeah, that “9/11″ comment was perfect. And so true-if Anthony Weiner DOESN’T get slapped in the face by a New Yorker for that at any point, I’ll be genuinely surprised.
    One of my favorite moments of the whole thing with Weiner was from a couple weeks ago, when John was discussing the texts Weiner sent out. One of said texts had Anthony saying something dirty having to do with the breasts of the girl he was flirting with. John said something like, “How is that even remotely sexy?” and then proceeded to mock the way Weiner described this woman’s breasts. Just cracked me the hell up.
    Yeah, if John wants to host a show of his own at any point in the near future, I’m all for it. The guy’s been fantastic and incredibly funny-great idea to spotlight him this go-round.

Comment by Angela – August 3, 2013 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. John has been fantastic and I’m so glad my favorite correspondent is completely shining during this opportunity.

The jokes about the text messages (and Anthony Weiner overall) were hilarious. “Do you even know how breasts WORK?” I was dying with laughter.

Comment by Deena – August 3, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YES! That’s the line I was thinking of :D!
        (Seriously, what is it with politicians in these sex scandals? They either send out the weirdest, most non-sexy tweets ever, or, in the case of Mark Sanford, sound like they’re writing the cheesiest romance novel ever with their love notes to their mistresses. That power and money must REALLY be quite the draw for these women, ’cause I can’t imagine any other reason why a girl would throw herself at so many of these sorts of guys.)

Comment by Angela – August 3, 2013 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really think Peter Sarsgaard deserved to be the performer of this week, he’s been great as Ray Seward the whole season but specially last episode.

Comment by Emma – August 3, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree that Sarsgaard totally killed it with his fantastic performance and deserves special mention, but Oliver has exceeded expectations and richly deserves this accolade.

Comment by Warren Parker – August 3, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hands down, Peter Sarsgaard on S3E10 of The Killing. His portrayal of Ray Seward deserves an Emmy nomination at the very least. Mind blowing and amazing performance. I am surprised that he didn’t even get a honorable mention.

Comment by Spoiler Junkie – August 3, 2013 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was expecting that he might get a mention – he is a phenomenal actor and Sundays episode was brilliantly acted. Would be great to see him get some sort of acknowledgment for his performance.

Comment by Sparky – August 3, 2013 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That ending was devastating. Even for a show called “The Killing” that ending seemed extra dark.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 3, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wasn’t he named performer last week though?

Comment by Bubba – August 3, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Oliver is doing really well. I will miss him come fall.

Comment by Becky – August 3, 2013 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Sarsgaaard hands down! Give him already the Emmy. I got chills, seriously. The Killing is on fire this season.

Comment by artur – August 3, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know you just selected Joel Kinnaman from “The Killing” last week, but in my opinion, this week should have gone to Peter Sarsgaard. His performance of Ray Seward in Sunday’s episode was simply incredible, and he had the perfect acting partner with Mirielle Enos.

Comment by Padraig Tipton – August 3, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Oliver has been a really excellent cover. Not saying I want Stewart gone any time soon, but it’s nice to know someone like Oliver is available to take over when Stewart does get tired of the job.

Comment by Nat – August 3, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i know you already gave him “performer of the week” a few weeks ago and not sure if you allow repeats, but i agree with that Peter Sarsgaard should have gotten it. just the wordless scene of him being prepped and walked to his execution to finally seeing his son through the window is Emmy gold!

Comment by Philip Fulgencio – August 3, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Sarsgaard hands down!

Comment by Nancy – August 3, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saarsgard!

Comment by D – August 3, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I heard that Jon was taking the summer off to direct his film, thought I’d be taking the late nights off, too…until John Oliver came on the scene…HE IS HYSTERICAL! Of course, I’m a sucker for a British accent, I’ll admit, but his timing, delivery…I adore him.

And if Jon wants to have another “Colbert” spin-off in the near future, I’m all for it. Mr. Oliver is fabulous! Cheers!

Comment by joanie – August 3, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a sucker for a British accent, too *Nods* :). I’ve had a crush on John Oliver for quite some time now, these past couple months have only solidified that.

Comment by Angela – August 3, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s hope The Daily Show’s Emmy streak will end come September 22nd (fingers crossed).

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – August 3, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The entire cast of The Killing this past week, but especially Peter Sarsgaard. It was the single best hour of television I’ve seen in a long, long while.

Comment by mak – August 3, 2013 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was indeed Oliver’s best week as interim host so far, but I was never worried that he’d do a fine job. If you’ve not been listening to The Bugle podcast, you might not have realized that Oliver is extremely quick on his feet and never not funny.

Comment by Paul – August 3, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I adore John Oliver (and almost don’t want Jon Stewart to come back), but I would have chosen Peter Sarsgaard from the Killing this week, hands down. But if you didn’t want to repeat, I would have chosen Carrie Preston, who killed it on last week’s True Blood.

Comment by Rebecca Parker – August 3, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve not seen her on True Blood, but what is this magnetic pull Carrie has on us? She’s very good & beloved, even in very minor roles like in Person of Interest

Comment by Sara – August 3, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Carrie Preston is amazing in the Good Wife; I would have to say that whatever they are paying her for that role is not enough.

Comment by Cathy – August 4, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • does jon stewart even need to come back? john oliver has been fantastic these past few weeks and has really been putting forward a case for having his own show full time. i dont think ive seen one thing that hasnt been a perfectly judged piece of political commentary and absolutely hilarious.

Comment by Alan – August 3, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been loving John Oliver on The Daily Show. He’s wonderful. And yet, I really miss Jon Stewart. I would love it if John Oliver could get his own show.

Comment by bobbie – August 3, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw John Oliver do standup last November, and I knew he’d do a great job. His first couple weeks were a little rocky, but he seems to have found his groove. Love him. Great job.

Comment by kate – August 3, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that as far as Oliver is concerned, the genie is out of the bottle. I cannot imagine they won’t do something soon to prevent Oliver from going back to the occasional appearance status on the Daily Show. He has proven he can carry a show.

Comment by HAP – August 3, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, Sarsgaard or Enos didn’t even get an honorable mention. That’s absolutely ridiculous.

Comment by Olive – August 3, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oliver has been on fire! His coverage of On Her Majesty’s Secret Cervix was hilarious. Even his coverage of Detroit’s bankruptcy. His interviews are top notch. And now of course Weiner. Someone give him his own show, please, like Colbert.

Comment by Jenna – August 3, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hasn’t Peter Saarsgard already been performer of the week?

Comment by Becca – August 3, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the idea of TDS adding a friday episode just for John Oliver to host. He’s definitely earned it. Hell, if not…just give him his own show. Not like Comedy Central would be hurt losing it’s midnight time slot. It’s nothing but re-runs there, anyway.

Comment by SonOfCoul – August 3, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Peter Saarsgard was so good that I had to remind myself I wasn’t about to be executed. And Enos was phenomenal as well. Tasha

Comment by Barbara A. Tenenbaum – August 3, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Oliver for Mayor of New York!!!

Comment by Wendy – August 4, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching John Pyper-Ferguson break down when he found out his kid had died was shocking. I have seen him in a few things and haven’t been that impressed, but that one moment changed everything. Kudos to him for owning that role, especially that moment, and really making it worthwhile to see.

Comment by Cathy – August 4, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bryan Craig from General Hospital was unbelievable this week. Not only were his scenes with Maurice Benard riveting, it really showed his range and that he has an unbelievable career ahead if him, not just on daytime

Comment by Lisa J. – August 4, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This has proven that John needs his own show. He has been on fire since taking over and I do not want to go through withdraw when his term ends. I love Jon Stewart and anticipate his return as well but please spinoff John Oliver!

Comment by John – August 6, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post