Sons of Anarchy Boss Talks 'Controversial' Premiere Twist that Sets Up 'Final Act' of Series

sons of anarchy season 6 blogA dark, violent twist at the end of Sons of Anarchy‘s Sept. 10 Season 6 premiere took center stage Friday at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour, with series creator Kurt Sutter conceding that the event will likely raise a few eyebrows.

Choosing his words carefully so as not to outright spoil the episode, Sutter — who was joined by series stars Charlie Hunnam and Katey Sagal — told reporters, “I’ve wanted to do that story for about three years. I know obviously that it would be somewhat controversial, but I feel like as much as I wouldn’t do something because it was controversial, I’m also not going to do something because it is [controversial]… It’s an organic story to our world; thematically it’s the right fit.

RELATED | Sons of Anarchy Season 6 Spoilers: Scoop on SAMCRO’s ‘Most Dangerous’ Foe and a Pair of New Faces

“I will also say that there’s a lot of blood and guts in my show — it’s a signature of the show,” he continued. “But I feel like nothing is done gratuitously. This is a story that’s not being done to be sensational… It is truly the catalyst for the final act of our morality play. It sets everything in motion for this season that will ultimately lead to the end that then will bring us into the final season and what I see as the ultimate comeuppance of everything in terms of the series.”

Sutter, meanwhile, once again confirmed that the show’s seventh season would be its last. “I have an idea of what the final shot is,” he teased, “and I hold onto it loosely. If that’s what it ends up being, that’s what it ends up being. For me, I need that marker to go towards and then I’m led to the right place.”

1. Vince says:

ugh, i read some tweets so i know what the big spoiler is…. so tasteless.

2. Mina says:

You can’t even guess with this show. What isn’t within the realm of organic action in a show where setting a girl on fire and bashing someone in the head with a pipe are just about conventional? Human taxidermy??

3. Elly says:

I bet one of his boys die as a result of the family flaw. Season 3 we learned Gemma’s brother Nate died, we know Jax’s bro died, I bet that’s the twist.

4. Ryan says:

Gemma kills Tara? That certainly would set up a killer final season in terms of Jax learning the truth about his mother and her involvement in his father’s death and whatnot. No one could say that they haven’t been building towards it for the past few seasons, that’s for sure. In the meantime, someone hold me…

• Celeste says:

I was thinking the exact same thing. What could be more violent than Tig watching his daughter burn to death?

• CR says:

The only thing I can think of more brutal than that is Jax losing one of his son’s. If Tara was bad before, imagine how nuts she’ll be if something happens to the boys.

5. Kate says:

Prison rape possibly? They have had several opportunities to go there and haven’t.

• Patti says:

Kate: You know, that’s what I was thinking. And frankly I think that would be a mistake. However, who the heck am I, right? LOL But we have Tara and Clay both behind bars to start out the season, and if I remember correctly some months ago (and I can’t remember where but somewhere online) there was a nod to Tara somehow doing the dirty with another female inmate. Maybe something bad happens prior to that considering that this article talks about the premiere. I would hate to see that with Tara’s character, but…

• wrstlgirl says:

Sadly prison rape would not be that controversial for Sons. They’ve done things far worse in past seasons.

6. Jess says:

Prison rape would only be shocking if it happened to Clay. And when you think about it, it’s pure karma. Gemma was the tipping point for Clay going to jail; why not have him suffer the way that she did? It’s the ultimate revenge.

7. wrstlgirl says:

Why did my mind flash to Jax sleeping with his mother. HA!! I mean the way Gemma falls all over Jackson that wouldn’t surprise me in the least but I doubt Sutter would go that low.

8. megan says:

The spoiler is out. What did Kurt expect? In the days of social networking, this was bound to get out and I am disturbed. Not sure I can watch that…

9. Len says:

I think I’m so done with this show. I used to think it was the best thing since sliced bread. It’s become nothing more than out violencing itself and justifying it as organic storytelling. Please.

10. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

SPOILER ALERT************
    ****************************
    If you’re uninclined to look on huffpost or just wanna know. It is indeed a school shooting. The gun the kid uses is traced back to the Sons.
    ****************************
    *************************

• IMHO says:

Well if you sell guns illegally for a living then one of them is bound to end up in a horrific shooting incident sooner or later.
      So I can see how Sutter would say it is organic to the story / environment that he is writing about.

• ajintexas says:

I think it is a story that needs to be told. People seems to think all gun crimes are committed with guns legally purchased or stolen from someone who legally purchased them. It’s about time that a show exposes the potential far reaching effects of the black market gun trade, which is something that I have no problem believing a motorcycle gang would be involved in.

11. Wesley thompson says:

A young boy uses a gun in a school shooting and the gun is traced back to samcro!!!!!!!!! So said creator kurt sutter. Kurt sutter said its really brutal even for sons of anarchy standards!!!!!!!

12. dave says:

Well knowing soa and kurt sutter I think your all wrong. Its going to consist of torric doing something to otto or tara. If you ask me tara s dead or ottos junk will get castrated. Or torric will use acid or something. All I know is torric will be involved.

Btw, juice bobby and or terra will die this season imo

13. Beth says:

Watching the show I have always thought they cannot just sell guns and only bad guys will shoot bad guys with them. There has to be some reality check about what business these guys are really in. I believe if the school shooting is what the spoiler is, it will hit way to close to Jax because of Thomas and Abel and while he may not leave Samcro maybe he can finally take his fathers vision and change the club. I wonder if Opies kids are involved in any way, that family is marked for tragedy.

14. Ced says:

I think it would be weird irony if Tara gets hooked on drugs while she’s locked up.. If not that, it’ll definitely be something involving her this season.. She’s a ticking time bomb just waiting to self destruct..

15. IMHO says:

Breaking Bad had a child involved in a shooting on the show as well.
    They have also had 2 children gunned down in seperate incidents all revolving around the the Crystal Meth business.
    Breaking Bad and SOA are stories about illegal gun and drug activity.
    The violence it breeds and the consequences.

16. Sharon says:

Although I am not happy about what I found out about the season premier, it is a show about a violent motorcycle gang. So what do you expect. If you do not want to see that type of realistlc violence, then watch something else……change the channel…..

17. Drew says:

To the ones that say they’re shocked and its tasteless and blah, blah. Then don’t watch it. It’s just a tv show. It’s an awesome, violent, controversial tv show, but still just a tv show. It’s had crazy stuff going on since season 1 and every season has gotten progressively more violent. Why should this be different?

18. NL says:

The school shooting seems to be only PART of it. Don’t know if it’s related or not, but there will apparently be a specific scene that is very “chilling”. If it’s “chilling” by SOA standards, then it’s probably something that hasn’t been done on TV before (or at least in awhile). I hope they aren’t just saying that to hype the scene, only to have it be the usual.

19. AshleyRae says:

I have a feeling it’s about the ‘SAMCRO KIDS’ jax’s and opie’s………although the comments above are saying it’s a school shooting. Abel gets kidnapped in S2/S3 and got inpaled by a tree branch in S5 by gemma HIGH AS A KITE while driving.
    Maybe this time something to do w/baby thomas? Opie’s kids haven’t really been around so…….possilbly something happend to one or both?

20. I hope they finally kill Tara. Loved the story at first but now she’s just annoying

21. ERodz2 says:

I hope I’m wrong, but I think Tara goes crazy and kills the boys and herself, the only way they can truly get out. It has been said that SOA is based on the plot of Hamlet, Ophelia dies.

22. mlongo says:

Disappointed since season 2. The thrill is gone. A school shooting isnt going to bring that back. Season 3&4 season finales were great season 5 disappointing. Where have all the good writers gone sutter?

23. Sarah Fidden says:

If you don’t like the show, then don’t watch it.

24. hector mendoza says:

Len is gay

25. hector mendoza says:

And ya ur rite sarah

26. Rae says:

A gun traced back to the SONS?…………I think the kid in the school shooting is opie’s boy.

27. RIPOPIE says:

They’ve already done rape. Wasn’t prison rape. But Gemma was raped in one of the earlier seasons. I don’t remember what season. My guess is the school shooting and Abel gets killed.

28. Cynical Eye says:

I watched the first 5 seasons of SOA, and about half way through, found it to be all most comical. Seems everything they planned out to stay in business ended up bad for them and then at the last second, the plan would work, somehow. This fictional MC had to have the worst possible luck imaginable, their continued bad luck, show after show, became laughable. Their bad luck was mostly due to internal screw ups, deceit, and strife among the members, and spent an inordinate amount of time cleaning up after themselves before they could complete their plans. Could it be because the producers and writers wanted to show that real life MCs are made up of mostly stupid gangsters? I will be watching the final seasons just to see how badly it ends for these numbskulls.

29. Mora says:

My mind sunk to the bottom. Jax sleeps with Gemma who it turns out is not really his mum.

30. Jake says:

Sutter talkes about the “final shot”. Does anybody else want to see a “jedi* like ending? Something where Jax turns to see the ghosts of his father, Piney, and Opie all standing together.