American Horror Story: Coven: Fresh Spoilers on the Feminism-Focused Third Chapter

American Horror Story Coven Season 3 SpoilersThe first details about FX’s American Horror Story: Coven, the bewitching third chapter of Ryan Murphy’s anthology series (bowing in October), trickled out Friday at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour, including the identities of several key characters and fresh intel on the female-driven plot.

RELATED | Fall TV Wednesday: American Horror Story Witches Vs. the New Ironside and Other DVR Dilemmas

“There’s a feminist theme throughout Coven,” teased exec producer Tim Minear, who was joined on the panel by returning Horror vets Jessica Lange and Sarah Paulson, as well as newbies Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett. “There are also themes of race and oppression and family — especially mothers and daughters — along with laughs and scares and a few tears.”

RELATED | American Horror Story Season 3 Spoilers — Kathy Bates Plays a ‘Bad Woman’

Lange confirmed that she will indeed “play a witch,” adding, “I’ve shot two days so far, so I don’t know who the character is yet. It comes in little dribs and drabs.”

Paulson will portray Lange’s daughter, named Cordelia (think King Lear, not Buffy/Angel), while Bassett will play Marie Laveau, a character loosely based on “a woman in the 1800s who was very influential in the city,” the actress explained. Lastly, Bates will channel infamous 1830s New Orleans socialite and serial killer Madame LaLaurie.

“I would say that the fun quotient is higher this year,” noted Minear. “[It's still] a drama, but there is a lot of humor, and we are embracing a velocity and fun with the series this year. It might be a little bit more welcoming to an audience.”

1. renzo says:

I just need to know who are Taissa, Evan and Emma playing. I’m obssed with the three of them and I really hope they three have a romance.

2. Brock says:

Of course it does, Ryan Murphy busily makes up everything as he goes along because he has no idea what he’s doing…

• Temperenace says:

Um, it’s Hollywood – it’s all made up as the go along. And considering the quality and ratings, Murphy’s team is marvelous at it.

• Joey says:

And this is why this is the type of show RM should be doing. If his other shows are any indication, it’s obvious that he loses interest after a season or two and cannot be bothered to write anything cohesive, so something like this where nearly everything changes except majority of the cast is right up his alley.

• dee123 says:

Oh Brock. You are so obvious.

3. Sarah says:

Good that they’re changing it up from the dark that was Asylum, even though I loved everything about it. Cannot wait, love me some AHS!

4. lisa says:

I’m so freaking excited! I was kind of hoping for a little more details with it now being august and everyone pretty much already assuming bates would be playing lalaurie. I was hoping for a little more clarification on the setting and plot

5. Josh says:

Ryan Murphy writing about feminism…if that doesn’t strike fear in feminist everywhere, I don’t know what will. Remember how he wanted to write a story in season one about how a woman is not a victim, than he had her raped, impregnated and die during child birth?

• dude says:

I’m not too scared of Ryan Murphy tackling feminism. His female characters were always the strongest. Look at Rachel and Santana on Glee. Or Sister Jude, Lana, Grace, and Sister Mary Eunice on American Horror Story: Asylum. He clearly enjoys writing for women more than men.

• A says:

Plus the majority of the Coven cast is all women. Only two men have been cast thus far.

• liz says:

While its fantastic the show has so many female characters, that doesn’t make it feminist. Many female-based narratives are anti-feminist and many male-dominated narratives are feminist.

• Dan says:

Well, he’s certainly giving some wonderful actresses work, so plus one for feminism in that.

• liz says:

Omg yes. Terrified…and not in the good way

• brycealexander says:

Dude, look at this set of women. They’re not going to let anything terrible happen. Season One was a different ballgame. The situation proposed S1 works as a two-hour movie but not as a 13-hour show. And it’s not Britton’s fault. Season 2 really stepped up in how it wrote women (though I know Chloe Sevigny is still rightfully pissed).

• Jen says:

Some people are never happy. Personally AHS has had some of the strongest three dimensional female characters I have seen on TV in the past ten years.

If you are expecting every single female character in this show to be “good” and have a “perfect” life then you are going to be disappointed.

And men had horrible things happening to them both seasons. This is a horror show so you can expect the character to go through crap a lot of times.

• Josh says:

I’m not say anything about good or perfect…I’m saying I found it disturbing that his version of a strong woman who wasn’t a victim, had everything horrible that could happen to a woman happen(rape, pregnancy by rape and than death by pregnancy from a rape).

As for strongest characters in the last decade..
        -Veronica Mars
        -Sydney Bristow
        -Kiera on Continuum
        – The women of Damages(who were soo not perfect)
        – The women of Mad Men
        – The women of Parks and Rec
        – The women of Game of Thrones(save for Sansa…who is only weak because of her circumstances)
        – The women of The Good Wife
        -The Women of The Americans
        -The Women of Scandal
        -The Women of Nikita

All better written female characters IMO. It has nothing to do with me never being happy(I’m happy with ALL those shows..), but I just find the women on this show to be less than dynamic.

Will it be that way this season? With women who bring power to ever role they’re in(Angela Basset, Kathy Bates, and always the best part of the Jessica Lange) I’m more hopeful but I just feel Ryan Murphy can’t do a subtle approach and just tries so hard, and is so heavy handed, the message gets lost.

• Andrew says:

You’re definition of strong women is laughable if you think Nikita and Veronica Mars are a mere ounce stronger than any character Jessica Lange has played on this show. Just because you ‘kick-ass and take names’ doesn’t make you ‘strong’ sorry

6. Valerie says:

I’m glad that they’re embracing humor and fun this season, but I really hope that it’s still as scary as the past seasons!

7. Maki says:

Can’t wait. I get the all feminism theme and I can’t wait for all this women to kill it.

8. Tori says:

I am sorry but this article barely gives us anything we did not already find on the web. I would like to know is Cordelia also a witch?, who is in the coven? and basically what is the plotline for this season?I do not think I am asking to much considering all the returning and new shows have given us nearly full page summaries for their season.

• A says:

Why so eager to know every little detail? If they give it to us all at once, there won’t be anything to look forward to. They only shot two days and so they probably will reveal more as the premiere date approaches

9. Nat says:

Ooo, Marie Laveau means there should be some voodoo storylines. What’s a little confusing is the time setting of this season – I know I’ve read somewhere that there will be stories in modern day and the past, but all the characters here seem to be in the 19th century. Curious to see what the modern story is.

10. liz says:

I hope Murphy and Co talked with actual feminist (oh heck, let them write it!). His ‘let’s google concepts I don’t understand’ philosophy has lead to many a disaster and I hate to see what product comes out of a pre-basic ‘I read the wikipedia page’ understanding of feminism. But heck, he could surprise me.

11. steven says:

They should bring back Zachary Quinto.

12. kate says:

The strength of the cast really saves this show, because the writing is so inconsistent. I’d say season 02’s story was an improvement over season 01’s, so maybe season 03 will be even more coherent.

13. IMHO says:

They have such a strong cast this season I’m willing to give AHS the benefit of the doubt.
    I’m looking forward to Season 3 !

14. Kevin says:

According to spoilertv,
    Episode 3.01 – “Bitchcraft” (09-Oct-2013)
    Episode 3.02 – “Boy Parts” (16-Oct-2013)
    Episode 3.03 – “Replacements, The” (23-Oct-2013)

hahaha bitchcraft, i guess the “fun quotient” is already reflecting on the episode titles. So creative, I love this show and its immensely talented cast!

15. Dr. Opossum says:

I am curious as to how the racial issues will play out here, as Murphy isn’t known for his subtle approach. Madame LaLaurie tortured and killed up to a hundred slaves – that isn’t something that can be tackled lightly.

16. Reblogged this on HORROR BOOM and commented:
    Yep, they’re in production!