Fox Boss Previews Glee's Finn Tribute Episode and PSA Plan, Confirms Keith Urban's Return to American Idol, Talks Bones' Friday Move

glee season 5 finnGlee‘s farewell episode to Finn will “deal directly with the drug abuse” that felled his portrayer Cory Monteith, Fox president Kevin Reilly told reporters Thursday at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour in Beverly Hills. However, Reilly stopped short of saying Finn’s death would be the result of an overdose.

“The third episode deals with writing Finn out of the show,” Reilly confirmed, adding that the hour will be accompanied by a series of drug-related PSAs featuring series creator Ryan Murphy and members of the show’s cast.

“Cory was a big, open wonderful life force,” Reilly continued. “He was not a problem. Everybody loved him.”

RELATED | Lea Michelle Breaks Her Silence on the Passing of Cory Monteith

Reilly would neither confirm nor deny rumors that the episode will make use of never-before-seen footage and/our outtakes of Monteith, saying only that “it’s a possibility.”

The other big headline coming out of Fox’s exec session: Keith Urban will back on American Idol‘s judging panel next season, and Jennifer Lopez may join him.

Reilly confirmed to reporters that Urban “is going to return to the show,” adding, “He’s a really funny guy. I don’t think he got a chance to let his personality shine through” alongside feuding (and now-former) colleagues Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj.

RELATED | The $250 Million American Idol Racism Lawsuit: Is Something Off-Key?

Regarding reports that the network is talking to ex-judge Lopez about a return engagement, Reilly said, “Jennifer has been a close part of the show all along, so there have been discussions. [But] there is no deal with her or anybody else. ” Reilly also hinted at “dynamic ideas to tinker” with the show’s format, particularly in the middle rounds between the audition phase and live shows.

Other highlights…

FALL FRIDAYS | Fox isn’t sending Bones to Friday night post-baseball to die. “It’s a quality show with a really passionate audience,” maintained Reilly. “That’s going to help us [grow] Friday night. We’re putting a show that people want to watch on a Friday night to begin building that night.”

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

SUPER SLOT | On the decision to follow the Super Bowl with a special episode of New Girl, Reilly said, “We’re still in building mode with New Girl. We think it has a long life ahead of it.”

IT’S THAT TIME AGAIN | The 24 writers and producers recently returned “with a new vibrancy” as they approach the 12-episode season, which debuts in spring 2014. The next chapter in the adventures of Jack Bauer “is going to have an international setting,” he teased. “They have a great idea.”

1. Andy says:

Just cancel Idol already!!!!!! I’m not denying that Urban isn’t a good judge but are they not noticing how huge the slips in the ratings are? It’s hardly to do with the judges. They keep teasing a new format to the upcoming season. It’s obvious they’ll change one little thing and keep the same boring formula of choosing a winner behind the scenes early on and pushing for that chosen one to make it to the end. Boring garbage that has run its course.

• Temperenace says:

Of course, that’s silly. We now just have several singing talent shows to spread the market around, and they all do a bang up business. Idol just needs a big overhaul – a reboot. There isn’t any doubt that the look and feel are dated, but there really is no reason that can’t be changed. And keeping Urban was a great choice – he did a couple seasons of the Voice Australia where he did, indeed, shine in the absence of the *ahem* other three. I didn’t find Lopez a fair judge (though otherwise good), so I’m not terrible interested in that. Harry Connick and Michael Buble did an amazing job on Aussie Idol as mentors, so I’d like to see one of them on the panel.

• Keith says:

Just don’t watch it -problem solved

2. Rochelle says:

No one wants jlo back. No one. Not even mark Anthony.

• Upp says:

Lmfao. True. Am I the only one that’s going to miss Mariah? I thought she wasn’t that bad and was actually kind of theatrical in her personality?

• Aprilcot says:

HA! Seriously, JLo is the worst.

• yep says:

I thought they were “fixing” ai. Jennifer Lopez is not fixing ai, She would just keep it broken. I can’t believe they would be so stupid as to bring her back.

• The Beach says:

Aw, just think of all the lip synching performances we’ll get to see every time JLo comes out with a new video.

3. Elly says:

Please, do not write Finn off as a result of drugs. Cory’s problem should be addressed but Finn shouldn’t die the same way his Dad did. Give him a hero’s exit.

• Mary says:

I disagree, Cory had a sickness and maybe if they portray the truth it might help others with the same addictions. Happy that Keith is coming back but no to Jlo and also Will Iam if that rumor has any credence to it.

• AJ says:

But Cory had a problem in real life, Glee is fictional. Finn shouldn’t have to go out because of drugs just because Cory did, Finn never had a drug problem. I personally would like to see Finn die saving other people, like a hero, the opposite like his dad.

• Oliviabensen12 says:

You know, not everyone dies a hero. this isn’t superman.

• AJ says:

But why not let Finn go out a hero? Glee hasn’t been realistic since season 1 anyways.

• Elly says:

You know, this is a tv a show- where we can let him go out as a hero, so they should. Cory had a disease, he made a bad choice- it doesn’t mean he was a bad person. Have some empathy, respect who he was and who the character was, and just be grateful you get to walk another day on this earth. He’s not so lucky, so we should honor him for what kind of person he was- not what he was sick with.

• MrMank says:

FOX and the producers of Glee have a unique opportunity here to really address drug addiction with the show’s target audience. As far as respect and empathy goes, Cory Monteith struggled with drugs before he became famous. He was very open about his addiction. I don’t think anyone is saying he WAS a bad person because he died from drugs (no one with half a brain, anyway). I obviously didn’t know him, but I think to NOT address the ugly truth would be MORE disrespectful. Monteith suffered as a result of his addiction, and he’d want his death to mean something. I don’t say this often (because this show has gotten SO bad), but kudos to both FOX and Glee for making a responsible decision here.

• Annie says:

They aren’t. Fox confirmed to EW that drugs will not be the cause of Finn’s death.

• Caro says:

I agree Ellie! I think the show needs to honor Finn’s history! Having Finn die at college trying to save someone who was high and freaked out is okay or having him get stabbed walking into a drug deal would be okay but Finn should not be high because Finn would never get high! Plus, it isn’t fair to ask Lea Michele to relive the drug death…let Finn die a hero and let Rachel move on! I’d like to see Puck move to NYC to go to college and pursue a music career while keeping an eye on Rachel for Finn and then maybe feelings could develop between them. Or Rachel meets someone working on Funny Girl and they become friends and eventually something happens…as long as Lea is comfortable with that!

• Elly says:

I like the puck idea, but not Funny Girl- Rachel’s not mature enough for the role yet. But maybe as an understudy.

4. LeahKittyS says:

Is it sad to say I’ve kind of written my own Finn death episode of “Glee” in my head? I wonder how close it will come to the real one. As for Idol: Keith coming back is a Yay! and the idea of a J-Lo return is a No!

• Romy says:

No, it’s not sad, I did the same. My versions has him going to New York after Rachel’s callback and either die in a car crash or being killed during a mugging or being killed during a robbery… I don’t want the Glee PTB to use Cory’s cause of death for Finn as it would totally be against his reaction when he learned his dad actually died of a drug overdose.

• Kittypotts85 says:

I saw this episode again in the UK today and it just made me so sad! :-(
        It would go against everything Finn was about if they made him die from an overdose. It will be an incredibly hard episode to watch even so.

• Caro says:

Finn was crushed when he learned about his Dad – I can’t see him ever doing drugs!

• MrMank says:

You should post it on a fanfic site. I’d like to read it.

5. Garret says:

This is what I don’t get. Why make Finn die of similar causes of Cory? Finn was not Cory and vice versa. It makes no sense that Finn would experiment with drugs especially after he found out his dad was a drug addict. Some of you might say that makes sense but no. Finn’s reaction showed he didn’t want to be like his dad in that way. Glee is just stupid. I hope it burns a quick death and Ryan Murphy is never allowed to produce another TV show. Also, Glee was a comedy. Wth happened that made it into a singing telenova?

• I don’t know if this was posted after you made your post, but it may have been.

“However, Reilly stopped short of saying Finn’s death would be the result of an overdose.”

• Melinda says:

They may not necessarily have Finn die that way. It says he stopped short of saying that. I don’t think they’d go that far especially with Finn having no previous indications of a drug problem.

• Leslie says:

Exactly!

Glee is just one big long running after school special now. So, true to form with Cory’s death from drugs we’ll get yet another ‘very special glee’ lesson. It’s no longer the well written show it once was.

• MC says:

They decided to classify it as a comedy for Emmy purposes after season one, but it’s always been a dramedy. Ryan Murphy is occasionally heavy-handed with his themes, but at least he made a show about something. It seems that some teenagers may not appreciate that shows like Glee don’t come along every day. It’s a unique show for network television and I will miss it when it’s gone.

6. A says:

I knew it was too much to hope that Glee handles this with class.

7. Douglas Hillyer says:

I’m glad Bones will be on fridays.#content.

8. P4Principle says:

Boy those Idol folk are really milking the cow dry over this will he/she be a judge or not. Personally I don’t care. Haven’t been invested in the show for 4 seasons now and last season I didn’t even watch. The day of the reality singing show is on it’s last legs and as they say…all good things must end. They should have let the show die when Phillip Phillips won. They got their multi platinum winner with him (although I don’t get it as there were far better winners) but at least they would go out on a high note. So really, does anyone really care who will be a judge?

As for Glee, a show which I don’t watch either…I think it’s appalling how they’re making Finn go. Oh well…apparently Ryan Murphy’s pick for talent next season is going down the toilette too. These producers…nothing like getting big bucks to make certain no talents a part of the show, albeit their part may be minutia.

9. EA says:

Glee has turned into such a preachy show. Like teens who watch this show don’t know all of the dangers ahead of them already. They’re preached to about teen pregnancy, eating disorders, drug use, gun violence, texting and driving almost daily. It’s not gonna make a difference since they’ll just tune it out, peer pressure is much more powerful than Glee PSA’s. And the adults that watch this show don’t wanna hear it at all. This show’s supposed to be an escape, not a weekly reminder of how much life sucks. Glee should just officially change their name to Glum.

• What the heck show were you watching? From the very first episode Glee has been a dark satire comedy about a bunch of kids that were mercilessly bullied, mocked and abused by the other kids around them. Finn wouldn’t even join until he was blackmailed by a teacher planting weed in his locker. They were humiliated on a daily basis. What shiny happy comedy hour were you watching?
      As for whether or not kids listen when Glee preaches I’d agree that the vast majority of the “message” shows have very little impact. However, this is not hypothetical. This is not a bunch of talented, beautiful and famous actors pretending to have lost someone to an overdose just to get a point across. People get emotionally attached to characters and the actors who portray them and particularly teens can be devastated by things that happen to actors in their real lives (hence all the women who despair when an actor gets married), This has an ability to effect an emotional punch that could actually make a difference. I work with teenagers as a coach for a color guard and most of them think of people who have addictions as strung out losers not normal, smart or attractive people. I listen and overhear things that make me want to beat my head against a wall and lock all of them someplace safe till they grow a brain. Addicts can be anyone. Drugs are dangerous not glamorous and anything that can stop a kid from using for the first time or make them try to quit if they already are is good in my book and given how many times Cory tried to quit to make his life better I think it would be a great tribute to him if he could help save even one person who sees how he dies and is changed by it.

10. Ezzy says:

Finn could go out like this: He decided to join the army and died in the line of duty. But I don’t think there’s a right way to do this without alienating people. Glee has been known to tackle today’s issues sometimes in a sensitive manner. Take last seasons excellent gun shooting episode. The show is geared toward young adults (i’m 34 and still watch it). I am sure everyone involved had a long meeting on how to deal with the episode. No one wants to do it but it has to be done. Is there a right way to do it? I don’t know. What I do know is that Finn never took drugs so if this is how they write him out then it changes him as we have known him the last 4 years.

There is no way around it. The episode needs to be written and I trust Ryan and company to do justice to it. I do believe that they will honor Cory the only way they feel they can and I’m sure that Cory is looking down on them (especially Lea) with a smile knowing that they are doing the right thing while saying “goodbye” to a person that everyone loved.

11. Maria says:

Yay!! Keith Urban is coming back to Idol…he’s the only reason I watched last year, although I ended up really liking some of the singers. Especially the winner, Candice Glover.

12. Josh says:

I REALLY don’t like that they are killing Finn off with a drug addiction. I don’t think that’s at all what Corey would want. There is a way to honor the actor and the character without this drug addiction added in. Heck, Finn could get hit by a drunk driver(or a high driver)…that works much better. Still about the cost of drugs and a life cut too short.

I guess you can’t expect much from Glee. They don’t exactly take a subtle or respectful approach to anything.

• Mary says:

Sorry Corey doesn’t have a say, but I disagree. He knew he had a problem and obviously rehab did not help. If they do the show tastefully and show that anyone, even the ones you least expect might have a problem, it might help one addict to get the help and realize it might take several tries before they are cleaned. Everyone has different opinions, and I am sorry for the loss but maybe this could be his legacy to help others

• KT says:

I was thinking the same thing re: Finn getting hit by a driver who is high or something like that. That would bring in the drug angle without suddenly giving Finn a drug problem out of nowhere.

13. Drew says:

I hate Glee with a fiery passion and think that Ryan Murphy should be shunned from society. That said, the show has made its entire goal in life to push (often twisted) moral stories and teach viewers whatever gag worthy lesson they feel are important that week.
    That considered, it would be completely inappropriate to not use this opportunity to highlight the dangers of drug use and the true impact that has on people. Finn won’t be out of his wheelchair and dancing around by the time sweeps rolls around. He won’t be showing up in any alternate reality episodes or newly filmed flashbacks. He will be gone forever. Using that fact to tell young viewers about drugs and addiction is appropriate, and that is what Cory’s memory should be used for. He had a lot of potential for his life and it was all lost because of drugs. Viewers should have that fact pushed in their faces hard, considering the type of show this is.

14. Allison says:

PSA and upbeat do not mesh. So you’re going to go from celebrating his life to summing his life up to drugs? Stay classy, Fox.

15. twilight123 says:

Curious to see what they do with Finn’s death. If they kill him off with a drug overdose, that seems incredibly insensitive to Cory and his family (including castmates and Lea) who are still in mourning. Wouldn’t it be hitting too close to home? It also seems terribly out of character for the Finn that they have developed over the last 4 years. I do like the idea of running anti-drug PSAs during the commercial breaks of the episode, especially if they are filmed using the cast. But I would leave it there. Have Finn die in a relatively benign way, and let the episode be about mourning him- not sensationalizing some random dramatic death. Then use the commercial breaks to put in separate PSAs about drug use. I have little faith that glee can sensitively handle this though, because, well, it’s glee.

16. TJ says:

It’s sad that Cory died, no matter what the circumstances, and I can understand that Glee lovers want a different ending for Finn. I completely get it because I watch TV as an escape for “real life”. But I think that Glee has done a lot for tween/teen watchers in addressing tough/uncomfortable subjects and as such may see it as a chance (even perhaps an obligation) to again do some “teaching/learning”.

With that said, a tribute to Cory at the Emmys other than a mention in the “In Memorium”, although no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, I’m not sure holding him up higher than other actors/actresses that we have lost this year is a smart/ethical decision.

17. Steven says:

I so hope Dads bombs so they can move Raising Hope back to Tuesday.

18. Jenny says:

My biggest issue with using drugs as the cause of Finn’s death is that it doesn’t fit the character as well as it makes him just like his father which was something Finn was trying to avoid. Something as simple in that he was drinking at a frat party, got in car crashed. Still have the PSA be about drug abuse, but I just don’t want to see it be the way the character leaves.

• Glee Fans Must Trust Glee says:

I’ve read a lot of posts now stating that Finn’s character avoid drugs because of his father and that Cory wouldn’t want him to go out like that but, ummmm, but wasn’t Cory also trying to avoid drugs… just sayin’

• Allen says:

I actually think it makes perfect sense for him to die like his dad…alcoholics and drug addicts often have a predisposition to the disease due to genetics…so even though Finn may not have wanted to be like his dad, sometimes genetics have more of a day then we do

19. Bongo says:

No big deal with Bones. Definitely it’s last year. Borreanaz wants to move on.

• amber says:

No David hasn’t, he and Emily both signed a two year contract that takes them into Season 10, that is if Fox wants them still and renews them… The cast & crew want a Season 10…if you watched the latest comic con videos you would know that. Fact > Fan speculation.

• TobyG. says:

Wow, Amber. Get a hold of yourself. It’s just a TV show, not something that, you know, actually matters. And some people have actual lives, so forgive Bongo for missing your beloved Comic Con videos. Real Life > Television.

• RI says:

If it doesn’t matter, what are you doing here commenting about it?

So, Amber was a little over-the-top with her answer, big deal. No need to insult.

• John says:

yes there is a need to insult. people online are so stupid sometimes it’s painful. i love TV more than half of the people on here, but ppl who go on correcting people like “well actually he said this on this day and so we’re gonna hold him to this or sue god if this isn’t true” it’s ridic. get a life people, and stop commenting on TVline. i feel sick every time i do. i know we all wanna think someone’s reading our posts at the networks and it makes a difference, but it doesn’t, so let’s all lose the attitude and talk creatively about things, but stop blurring the line between tv and reality.

• Sarah says:

@Bongo

I believe he and Emily both sighed for 10 (if it’s renewed) last season.

20. Aprilcot says:

I all for Keith Urban coming back, I thought he was a pretty solid judge last year. Having said that, JLo returning could finally be the straw that breaks this camel’s back. She’s the worst…the way she was to Haley Reinhart was just awful. I had never voted for an Idol contestant until Haley, because I couldn’t believe how unfair the “judges” were with her.

21. sudi says:

Well hopefully Glee’s writers will not write Finn out like the way they wrote George O’Malley out in Grey’s Anatomy – that was gruesome

22. Name That Tune says:

The new PTB at dol must really be tone deaf. NOBODY wants JLo back!

They really must want to stick a nail in its coffin.

23. They could put newer shows on Friday nights and stop moving Bones around like a yoyo. Some shows that are doing well and have been on 2 or 3 years let them move to Friday.

24. Sadie says:

I can image Will calling all the old members of the new directions and the new ones too, have them all sit in the choir room as him and Emma discuss how Finn and Puck got invited to a college party were it got too out of hand and somebody drugged like, the food or something or some crazy high guy brought a knife or gun and killed Finn, and maybe even doing some damage to Puck, except he managed to survive. Rachel will be very upset, and maybe drop out of her Funny Girl callback because it was to soon, But she won’t go into depression or something . It will be very sad but it will also bring some realism into the show to, because this stuff happens all the the time. The characters might be quiet for some time but eventually they will start to let go, and go back to being themselves, although they will always remember Finn Hudson

25. Josh says:

Ryan Murphy can be very persuasive.

26. Lee DeBareau says:

GLEE…..LOVE the SHOW …but was so very DISAPPOINTED “Cory Monteith’s” Death could of been a catalyst for real education on “Drug and Alcohol Addiction”
    But “FAREWELL TO THE QUARTERBACK” show made no mention to why. Cory is all but another senseless STATISTIC and could of been used for GOOD. Glee I am ashamed you white washed/sterilized/ his death. Who were U protecting…? I was left to wonder.

27. evening primrose oil is the right choice if you want to get
    some immediate relief but in natural way. so what else you are
    waiting for