Fall TV Preview

Sarah Michelle Gellar On Hubby Freddie Prinze's Forthcoming Bones Date With Ex-Buffy Love David Boreanaz: They Better Not Make Out!

Prinze Gellar Boreanaz BonesSarah Michelle Gellar gave husband Freddie Prinze Jr. her blessing to appear on Bones this season opposite her former Buffy leading man David Boreanaz, but her endorsement came with one tiny caveat.

“As long as they don’t make out I think it’ll be fun,” the actress laughed to TVLine Sunday night at CBS’ Television Critics Assoc. press tour party, where she was promoting her new fall comedy, Crazy Ones.

RELATED | Sarah Michelle Gellar: Playing Ringer Twins as New Mom Was ‘Not My Smartest Day’

All joking aside, Gellar revealed that Prinze’s potentially recurring stint on the Fox drama — in which he’ll play a covert CIA agent and old buddy of Boreanaz’ Booth — was negotiated at the pool.

“This actually all came about from David, Freddie and I hanging out two weeks ago,” she explained. “David sort of [floated the idea to us]. And I was like, ‘Sure!’ And Freddie was like, ‘Yes!’ It was literally a poolside conversation.”

Currently, Prinze is booked for one episode — the show’s Sept. 16 Season 9 opener — but word is there’s potential for a second.

Comments (35)

• Cool, it looks like fun for the actors and that will come across on the screen and Freddie can defo play the part of the CIA old pal of Booth. Looking forward to it. Hope it is recurring for the whole season, sight unseen.

Comment by Sky Lark – July 30, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like that Buffy and Angel hang by the pool, only because she always use to think they’re relationship could never work, what with the no sunlight thing.

*Sigh*…Remember when vampires couldn’t go out in the sunlight and vampires weren’t mopey bad boys? Angel loved Buffy enough to leave her so wouldn’t waste her life.

Comment by Josh – July 30, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Angel wasn’t a mopey bad boy? Were we watching the same show?

Comment by dude – July 30, 2013 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • hahahaha! I know right. Angel was pretty dern mopey.

Comment by mia – July 30, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • + He had an episode of Angel where he was able to be out in the sunlight, if I remember correctly.

Comment by Kasper – July 30, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • only because he was made human….

Comment by Jenna – July 30, 2013 05:00 PM PDT
          • @Jenna Are you referring to those set of episode where the gang first met Fred?

yeah and the humans in the world they went to during that episode were called “cows”.

Comment by James – July 30, 2013 10:44 PM PDT
          • No @James, it’s the wonderful episode where Buffy goes see Angel, and he’s human for one day… Gosh, that kiss by the beach…. Or on the table… That was THE best episode for all the Angel/Buffy fans!

Comment by Liz – July 31, 2013 11:11 AM PDT
    • Vampires have been going out into the sun and have been mopey bad boys since DRACULA. TWILIGHT didn’t invent any of that.

Comment by steve o (@ravenwing263) – July 30, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • but they didn’t frakkin’ SPARKLE with fairy dust at the time. Twilight invented that.

Comment by Jerri – July 30, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG they hung out!!! AWWWW yeah. You guys!!!!

Comment by lorna – July 30, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why but it makes me happy that these two are still friends.

Comment by Martin – July 30, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. Probably the same reason I think it’s adorable that Alexis Denisof and Amy Acker are still good friends (and played opposite each other in Much Ado). Can’t wait to see Freddie on Bones!

Comment by Anna – July 30, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ihear he’s also friends with Willow…

Comment by canadian ninja – July 30, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well, yes, Wes and Willow being married is kinda awesome too :)

Comment by Anna – July 30, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG i’m so happy to know that David and Sarah are still friends!!!!! Bangel fan 4ever <3

Comment by Dasha – July 30, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bangel, seriously?!

Comment by Jerri – July 30, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It does my heart good to hear that Buffy and Angel still hang out together.

Comment by Shannon Armstrong Schultz – July 30, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brought a smile to my face, reading this….love that they are all still friends. I miss Buffy….Kickstarter anyone?! :)

Comment by Corinne (@Cory0706) – July 30, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Joss would never do a kickstarter. Pre-Marvel he would have, but now that he’s the King of Marvel he wouldn’t cause he know it would look tacky.

Comment by mia – July 30, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Also, he seems pretty busy for the near future.

Comment by Dee – July 30, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just read the Season 8 and Season 9 comics published by Dark Horse. They continue Buffy’s story post-Chosen. The series is executive-produced by Joss, and many issues are written by him as well.

Comment by alistaircrane – July 30, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1st, of all I think David & Freddie working together on a Bones ep is inspired casting…they have that ole buddy vibe built in already…2nd, just goes to show NO ONE truly knows who celebs are pals with, so finding out that SMG & David are not only pals but hang out together still after all this time, warms my heart and 3rd, Welcome to the Bones family Freddie :)

Comment by Jess – July 30, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IDK she comes out such annoying sometimes. Weird comments are the worst.

Comment by B.Sidney – July 30, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I want to see Emily Deschanel and SMG sharing the spotlight. Remember in a Paley Fest Panel with Bones cast, Emily said that she want to participate in a sitcom after her show ends. If the Crazy Ones is renewed she could be in that show.

Comment by Fernanda – July 30, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would much rather see David and Sarah share the spotlight again, that would generate a tv media buzz…Emily & SMG are a random and meh pairing, imo.

Comment by anon – July 30, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yes, yes, SMG & David together again, even for 1 ep, as different characters would be win, win and could pump up both shows. Buzz, buzz, buzz. I know, diff nets, would never happen but it’s fun to speculate.

Comment by Begorrah – July 30, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Donny Crane

Comment by Michael – July 30, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this girl since Buffy. I hope crazy ones be a great show. ¨sorry my english.. big hi from brazil

Comment by douglas – July 30, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m dying to see David and Sarah work together again !!!

Comment by Dasha – July 30, 2013 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dunno why but for some reason the fact they’re still friends makes me smile. The whole cast seems pretty close still, with Alyson and Alexis married and Amy Acker. I also think Antony Head is still close with Aly and Alexis.

Comment by amy – July 31, 2013 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that Sarah and David are friends! And since she put the idea in my head, I would actually love to see Freddie and David make out lol.

Comment by Mikael – July 31, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the fact that those two are friends! If only Joss had ended the show as it SHOULD have ended, with Buffy & Angel together! After all, we’ve waited for Angel to get his shanshu and be with Buffy… and nothing! *sigh*
    At least, there are fanfictions…

Comment by Liz – July 31, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Buffy and Angel together at the end? Not in the Whedonverse. Of his 3 huge shows (BTVS, Angel, Firefly) WHAT COUPLE, TOTALLY IN LOVE, ever ended up together? The minute a couple fell in love, one was doomed! And Buffy and Angel were doomed from the start!

Comment by buffyfan – August 1, 2013 01:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I suppose Serenity doesn’t technically count, but Simon and Kaylee did at least manage to get together and survive.

Comment by Tina – August 12, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post