Scoop: Anna Torv Eyes TV Return as Jennifer Jason Leigh's Lover in Ryan Murphy's Open

Anna Torv Open HBOAnna Torv is entering a new alternative universe: The former Fringe star is joining Ryan Murphy’s sex-and-relationships pilot Open as the lesbian lover of Jennifer Jason Leigh, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | 30 Actors TVLine Readers Want Back on TV Now

The provocative script, which was penned for HBO by Murphy and Dexter co-executive producer Lauren Gussis, revolves around five characters.

Torv will play Windsor, a yoga instructor in a longterm relationship with Holly (Jennifer Jason Leigh), but upon meeting Grace (casting TBD) feels an instant connection. They join the previously cast Scott Speedman and Wes Bentley.

1. mj says:

Murphy and lesbian relationships… hmmm wondering which one of them he’s going to kill off first :D

• Olivia says:

None until he tortures them and gift us with a few lesbian tropes.

• liz says:

I dislike RM a lot, but when he had Finn out Santana in the hallway like that (and so violently) and then celebrated how awesome Finn was in the same episode, treating his actions as ‘good’….that was it for me.

• Court says:

I think you missed the entire point of just episode. First off, Finn felt horrible about what he did and he did everything he could to make it up to her and show her that she should be proud of who she is. Also, why is it worse that Finn outed Santana, but not horrible that Santana continually attacked his weight and bullied him and others? Even physically attacking Rory( I believe that’s his name) there is such a double standard. Bullying is bullying. Both are awful and hurtful.

• Amy says:

No its worse to out someone in a school full of people. But that doesn’t matter to me what matters more is how Santana’s outing was handled compared to Kurts. RM just doesn’t write well for lesbians.

• Amy says:

Point is RM handled Kurt’s coming out very very differently than Santana’s aka he handled the lesbians coming out awful.

2. Ainav says:

What?!!?! AHHHH now I need to watch this.

3. Sam says:

You had me at Anna Torv, but lost me at Ryan Murphy.

4. Thom says:

YESYESYESYES I will follow Anna Torv anywhere and RM is doing a pretty good job with AHS so his presence doesn’t even bother be that much

5. TVFan says:

What network will it be on?

6. Andie says:

I liked her in Fringe, but I’m a straight female scifi fan so there’s absolutely nothing about this I want to watch.

• Olivia says:

I’m a gay female and there is a lot I want to watch in a lot of straight tv shows. Because unlike you, I don’t watch only for relationships. It’s not like I have a large choice in that department anyway. Btw, commenting that you’ll stay away from a show because a character’s sexuality doesn’t match yours, even before knowing what said show is about, makes you come across as an idiot.

• Jenna says:

Relax Olivia. Pretty sure she meant she wouldn’t be watching this because it’s not a scifi show.

• jestsaying says:

ha! I thought she used the word straight referring to the fact that she likes sci fi only! but seriously, olivia, take it down a notch. i don’t think she necessarily said anything homophobic. just that there was nothing about this premise that makes her want to watch. which could be said about any show and any aspect thereof. think of how your overreaction makes YOU look.

• Olivia says:

Where did I say she was homophobic? I just said that there was no need to say “I’m a straight female” if it the purpose wasn’t to pinpoint the character’s sexuality as being a reason to pass. Which has nothing to do with the genre or anything, anyone with half a brain can understand that it was obviously in response to the lesbian character aspect of the article. If it was about a black character and someone commented “I’m a white female” (which, again, has nothing to do with the genre of the show), people would be calling her out, and rightfully so. No one would be calling it overreacting. I don’t care about how my comment makes me look, I’d rather be someone who embraces diversity than a shallow and narrow minded person. Anyway, agree to disagree I guess.

• Stana says:

Sorry but that’s going overboard. You’re taking that comment way out of context. She said shes a scifi fan so right off the bat the show wouldn’t interest her. But you know how a lot of people will watch a show just because they think a male or female is hot? I think that’s why she mentioned the straight thing. I’m all against the shallow and narrow minded people you mentioned, but honestly I don’t think it was meant to be taken the way you are taking it.

• Rosa says:

I think folks need to step off of Olivia. I immediately read it that way too. If the OP hadn’t mentioned her sex, I’d be more willing to give the benefit of a doubt.

• liz says:

Just commenting to say I agree with you. :)

• liz says:

I’m also a “straight female scifi fan” too and I have no problem watching tv shows about lesbians or shows that aren’t scifi.
      You don’t have to be gay to watch/love/connect with gay characters.
      If we only watched shows that were explicetly about our own identities….well heck I’d only have Drop Dead Diva to watch :P

• TobyG. says:

Ditto. Hopefully this show will be cancelled after half a season and she’ll get to do something more interesting.

7. Cherry says:

Anna Torv was so sexy as a lesbian on the UK Mistresses. I’m glad she’s returning! so is she a main character?

Can’t wait, I wasn’t too excited but not I will totally watch for Anna.

8. Cherry says:

This pilot NEEDS to be picked up and Anna Torv’s character is called Windsor? terrible name.

9. Superhero says:

On the one hand, yay, lesbians! On the other hand, eww, Ryan Murphy…

10. B.Sidney says:

So sad about this, I was really looking forward to see her in another Sci-Fi instead she ends in a crappy RM show. Poor Anna .I lover her nonetheless and looking forward for her career

11. git says:

BEST NEWS EVER!!!!
    I’m so glad she’s back I don’t even care that it’s a RM show

• Joan says:

Someone who has read the pilot said the pilot is really disgusting and just plain horrible. So, you might be lamenting that it is a RM show. She said she even found it hard to get through the first act.

It’s on HBO, so it sounds like they decided to push the envelope as far as possible.

12. Drew says:

Anna Torv is better than this. Ryan Murphy is a no-talent hack who shouldn’t be allowed near television.

I always hate it when I see actors and actresses that are very talented and who I’d love to follow doing crappy projects. She might as well go and work on Law and Order for all the desire I have to watch this crap.

13. Oliviabensen12 says:

I hope the pilot doesn’t get picked up. Her fans have hated on Joshua Jackson enough!!!!!

• Pati D says:

Get a life.

• LitttleLumsBF says:

LittleLum? Is that you. Why do you hate Josh so much? You say such mean things like…

the Weakest link on Fringe
      being miscast and other actors would be better
      the bad actor
      having the most annoying character
      being a baby faced actor who can’t be a lead character and can’t act tough
      being the plot device
      one of the “faults” of season 5

Miss you LittleLummy (akaOliviabensen12)

14. M3rc Nate says:

This almost makes having her be back on tv not worth it…I cant stand RM shows, and it seems a waste of her talent and skill to be on a RM show. Would have preferred she followed Yvonne’s footsteps, who got on a great show (Dexter). Anna would be great on another Sci-fi show or playing a badass cop/Fed or SOMETHING…hell id take a vampire on True Blood. Just seems so many steps down from Fringe. I mean a gorgeous smart empowered badass blonde Australian who does a flawless American accent? Theres her and Yvonne, and both have huge followings…she could have got a better show.

• Olivia says:

Haha I really like how you think. Yvonne and her are BAMFs and now that you put the Anna/Dexter image in my head I hate you a little because it will never happen. I didn’t know that I needed that but now I can’t stop picturing her as a fierce agent/cop facing Dex in an epic showdown. Oh well xD

• Melissa says:

Dexter in its 7th and 8th season is not a great show.

A show on HBO is a much better opportunity for Anna

• M3rc Nate says:

I get that a guest part on a shows final season doesnt = staring as a lead in a brand new show on a good channel…however if you compare when Anna’s character is blah, the show gets cancelled or just always has low ratings,to Yvonne getting a great role at the peak ending of a fantastic show that everyone watches (including people in the biz that will want to hire her) and her character is so liked and unique (first person to know about Dexter and love him and be in a relationship with him etc) that she is with the show for the Comic Con panel.

I just wish that Torv would have been on something like…Strike Back, Banshee, Graceland, Defiance, Vikings (could be Lagertha’s sister or just a super hot badass blonde viking), ALMOST HUMAN! (would love that, former Fringe team makes it), and many many many more, let alone big guest roles on shows like Covert Affairs and Suits etc…there is just SO much on TV, let alone movies…anyways, love Torv!

15. Joey says:

Happy Anna will return to TV soon.

16. Melissa says:

ANNA!!!

Welcome back to my TV

MIssed you

17. Tristan says:

Hum, her name is misspelled on the homepage

18. MA says:

Annnnnnnaaaaa! Can’t wait!

19. Zack says:

Anna Torv needs a intervention.

20. Midori says:

Stay away from Ryan Murphy!

21. JP says:

why can’t you guys just be happy for her tv comeback ?

• Drew says:

I can’t speak for everyone, but I will not watch a Ryan Murphy show. I’d love to see Anna back on TV, but I won’t see her in this. That’s where the disappointment and frustration comes from.

22. A says:

Everything sounds great except for the fact that Ryan Murphy is involved. Pass.

23. Mikael says:

I love Anna Torv! I wish she’d be on Agents of SHIELD or something like The Americans.

24. Anna Olivia Rebecca says:

YES! This is what i’ve waanted for like 6 months

25. Amanda says:

I hope this end up being a great show, cause Anna deserves it. It’s HBO, a good thing, but they also have Girls, which makes me worry…

26. coolio says:

Hmmm wasn’t what I was expecting from Torv since she’s already played a similar role. I expected her to go for independent movies with excellent character potential. Or movies like the kind Kate Winslet or Cate Blanchet have done. Granted she doesnt have the star power to probably get those roles but that’s where I saw her. Wonder what motivated her to do this? I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve actually seen it though.

• JaniceLG says:

Coolio, I agree w/ her going the independent movie route or maybe guest starring on a few shows. I like the idea of filling the roles Cate did 10 years ago type thing too. Other than that, I like this. She’s moved off network, she didn’t land some cop or doctor or lawyer on somebody else’s show like GOT. Anna does best as a one of the lead characters.

This might not go to series, but glad she’s doing something opposite OD (she will always be Olivia Dunham to me). Anna has stated that and how draining OD was to play. Really opposite her real life personality. Really glad she didn’t just disappear which I could see happening given she’s such a private person.

As for Ryan Murphy, don’t know him and don’t watch Glee or AHS, just not my thing. But it sounds like I do like his co-writer/producer who is from Dexter. Sounds like HBO really wanted this show and hopefully we’ll hear about it going to series.

Welcome back Anna.

27. Emma says:

I’m delighted she’s going to be back on TV, but it’s Ryan Murphy so I’m not expecting much, he’ll prob have her sleep with a man because lesbians have to do that apparently.

28. Ashok says:

Hmmmz… never been wild about Ryan Murphy shows but Anna Torv alone boosts my hype meter on this project from a 0 to an 11 out of 10.

29. Mimi says:

I am absolutely thrilled about Anna being back on tv!! I do have a question for Matt, though. I’ve read some newsbites that state that Anna will be the lead, starring in the show, while other sources have stated that she will be playing a woman who is a ‘potential recurring character’. Do you know which of these statements is correct?

30. Mimi says:

I will watch anything and everything that Anna Torv is in, and I profoundly thank everyone in the Biz who casts her.

31. Mimi says:

I am astonished at the degree of judgement that I am reading, 9 months before the pilot even airs. There are a lot more good actors out there than roles for them, and I for one am so thankful that I don’t have to wait years in order to see Anna back on my screen.

32. Joan says:

The show revolves around five characters, of which her character is one. That’s according to another article I read about the show.

33. Tina says:

Anna Torv, I love her so much.. I’ve been waiting like years for her next project
    And this is it, i dont care bout her character, i just… want to see her again :D

34. Steve says:

I was (and still am I guess) a huge fan of Fringe. There was something about Anna Torv that made me say to my friend that one day she would do something controversial. Not sure what it was but I just had a feeling. Looks like I was right! From what I have gathered, “Open” will be a highly and I mean, highly explicit and graphic. Not sure how I feel about it…

35. David says:

Anna Torv is so great so i’m looking forward to watching it. :)

36. Alex says:

I am a one eyed true blue aussie, and it is great to see we here in Aus have such great talent in the movie making business and TV series making. Anna Torv will no doubt be just as brilliant in “Open” as she was as FBI Agent Olivia Dunham and the lesbian character Alex ? (apologies last name) in Mistresses.

37. Reblogged this on Masochist Musing and commented:
    And the only reason I’m watching Open on HBO is…Anna Torv. ;)