The Millers' Creator Greg Garcia Defends Flatulence-Heavy Pilot: 'Farts Are Funny'

the millers cbsGreg Garcia, creator of CBS’ new fall comedy The Millers, was grilled about the rash of fart jokes in the show’s pilot Monday at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

Responding to the stink, Garcia conceded that the premiere contains “a run of fart jokes” — many of which can be traced back to Margo Martindale’s matriarch character — but added, “I’ve watched it with people; people laugh at these things… Fart jokes are funny.

“I started to think about this a little bit because I was lucky enough to go to the Mel Brooks Lifetime Achievement Award [ceremony], and I’m sitting there by Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese and Morgan Freeman and just all kinds of people, and they put the Blazing Saddles farting scene on the screen — and everyone is dying laughing,” he recalled. “So, farts are funny.”

VIDEO | The Millers‘ Fart-Packed Trailer: Watch It Now!

That said, Garcia insisted The Millers won’t attempt to have a gas in every episode. In fact, “In the next eight or nine scripts that we have, I don’t think a fart joke has appeared yet. I’m not saying it won’t, because fart jokes are funny… and they have their place on TV once in awhile.”

The Millers premieres Thursday, Oct. 3 at 8:30/7:30c.

1. 100% horrible in my opinion. I give my grade of The Millers an F.

2. Et al says:

This sounds tailor made for the CBS audience.

3. Andy says:

Did the premiere for “The Millers” get pushed? I thought CBS announced it as Sept. 26.

4. Tim says:

Which is why I stay away from CBS comedies other than HIMYM and BBT….

5. Joseph says:

So, this experienced TV writer with a history of successful shows is PROUD of the fact that he made a bomb? What?

6. Cherry says:

Why on Earth would Margo Martindale, who is an incredible actress resort to this garbage? She is so much better than this. I’m disappointed.

• Superhero says:

Money convinces a lot of people to do a lot of things they otherwise wouldn’t do. But yes, I’m very disappointed that Martindale is giving up a great role in The Americans for this. Also disappointed that Greg Garcia, the man behind quality shows like My Name is Earl and Raising Hope, is behind it.

• bradick says:

You haven’t even seen it. It could become comedy gold. Chill dude. Every role can’t be Mags Bennett. Margo’s allowed to branch out if she wants.

7. JCK says:

This show is too immature even for the T Birds in Grease.

8. Babygate says:

The CBS audience will probably love the crassness. I guess men find farting funny. I fail to see the humor. Tasteless. I guess they don’t trust their writing to be funny enough without resorting to this type of stunt. Feels like something that should be on Spike or FX. Then again, this is from the network that brings us 2.5 Men and 2 Broke Girls.

9. Adam says:

Fart jokes may be funny, but that doesn’t mean the humor is tasteful or appealing, or raises the show to any level of quality just because it can produce a cheaply-earned laugh.

10. Nancy says:

I’m already ignoring this show.

11. John says:

Yeah it’s funny if you’re five years old.

12. ElKabong says:

I was thinking about giveing this show a watch. Not now. Resorting to the old Terrance and Phillip approach in episode 1 is never a good sign.

13. Melanie says:

Is Garcia comparing this show to Blazing Saddles? Really? Maybe fart jokes worked in that movie because it was BLAZING SADDLES. Jeesh.

I hate fart jokes. But I wasn’t planning on watching this show anyway.

14. Alan says:

after watching margo martindale scare the crap out of me on justified and the americans i cant help but think “how the mighty have fallen”, im really surprised she would lower herself to something like this after making a name for herself in such amazing roles.

• Melanie says:

Agree. She was amazing on Dexter too. I guess after years of intense roles, why not just sit back and have fun? Easy $$.

15. Alex says:

Fart jokes are NOT funny. They’re gross!