Fall TV Preview

The Millers' Creator Greg Garcia Defends Flatulence-Heavy Pilot: 'Farts Are Funny'

the millers cbsGreg Garcia, creator of CBS’ new fall comedy The Millers, was grilled about the rash of fart jokes in the show’s pilot Monday at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

Responding to the stink, Garcia conceded that the premiere contains “a run of fart jokes” — many of which can be traced back to Margo Martindale’s matriarch character — but added, “I’ve watched it with people; people laugh at these things… Fart jokes are funny.

“I started to think about this a little bit because I was lucky enough to go to the Mel Brooks Lifetime Achievement Award [ceremony], and I’m sitting there by Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese and Morgan Freeman and just all kinds of people, and they put the Blazing Saddles farting scene on the screen — and everyone is dying laughing,” he recalled. “So, farts are funny.”

VIDEO | The Millers‘ Fart-Packed Trailer: Watch It Now!

That said, Garcia insisted The Millers won’t attempt to have a gas in every episode. In fact, “In the next eight or nine scripts that we have, I don’t think a fart joke has appeared yet. I’m not saying it won’t, because fart jokes are funny… and they have their place on TV once in awhile.”

The Millers premieres Thursday, Oct. 3 at 8:30/7:30c.

Tags: ,

Comments (30)

• 100% horrible in my opinion. I give my grade of The Millers an F.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 29, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You graded your grade? How very meta.

Comment by J – July 29, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love that I’m not the only one who caught that!

Comment by bradick – July 29, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Watch the trailer on YouTube. It’s almost six minutes long.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 29, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds tailor made for the CBS audience.

Comment by Et al – July 29, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL…Exactly my thought!

Comment by dsm – July 29, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha, spot on. They will love this.

Comment by AJ – July 29, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did the premiere for “The Millers” get pushed? I thought CBS announced it as Sept. 26.

Comment by Andy – July 29, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. CBS decided to do a double episode premiere of TBBT and use at The Crazy Ones lead in for the premiere.

Comment by Babar – July 29, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • October 3rd is where The Millers will debut.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 29, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes that is clear.

Comment by bradick – July 29, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My bad about that grammar error: October 3rd is “when” The Millers will debut. My apologies.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 29, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Which is why I stay away from CBS comedies other than HIMYM and BBT….

Comment by Tim – July 29, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, this experienced TV writer with a history of successful shows is PROUD of the fact that he made a bomb? What?

Comment by Joseph – July 29, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why on Earth would Margo Martindale, who is an incredible actress resort to this garbage? She is so much better than this. I’m disappointed.

Comment by Cherry – July 29, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Money convinces a lot of people to do a lot of things they otherwise wouldn’t do. But yes, I’m very disappointed that Martindale is giving up a great role in The Americans for this. Also disappointed that Greg Garcia, the man behind quality shows like My Name is Earl and Raising Hope, is behind it.

Comment by Superhero – July 29, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You haven’t even seen it. It could become comedy gold. Chill dude. Every role can’t be Mags Bennett. Margo’s allowed to branch out if she wants.

Comment by bradick – July 29, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is too immature even for the T Birds in Grease.

Comment by JCK – July 29, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The CBS audience will probably love the crassness. I guess men find farting funny. I fail to see the humor. Tasteless. I guess they don’t trust their writing to be funny enough without resorting to this type of stunt. Feels like something that should be on Spike or FX. Then again, this is from the network that brings us 2.5 Men and 2 Broke Girls.

Comment by Babygate – July 29, 2013 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not all men find farts funny. I don’t. I ate that I’ll have to suffer through it to give the second episode and beyond a fair shake

Comment by Tom Charles – July 29, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good to know…

Comment by Babygate – July 29, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fart jokes may be funny, but that doesn’t mean the humor is tasteful or appealing, or raises the show to any level of quality just because it can produce a cheaply-earned laugh.

Comment by Adam – July 29, 2013 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m already ignoring this show.

Comment by Nancy – July 29, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah it’s funny if you’re five years old.

Comment by John – July 29, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was thinking about giveing this show a watch. Not now. Resorting to the old Terrance and Phillip approach in episode 1 is never a good sign.

Comment by ElKabong – July 29, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Garcia comparing this show to Blazing Saddles? Really? Maybe fart jokes worked in that movie because it was BLAZING SADDLES. Jeesh.

I hate fart jokes. But I wasn’t planning on watching this show anyway.

Comment by Melanie – July 29, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • after watching margo martindale scare the crap out of me on justified and the americans i cant help but think “how the mighty have fallen”, im really surprised she would lower herself to something like this after making a name for herself in such amazing roles.

Comment by Alan – July 29, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. She was amazing on Dexter too. I guess after years of intense roles, why not just sit back and have fun? Easy $$.

Comment by Melanie – July 29, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fart jokes are NOT funny. They’re gross!

Comment by Alex – July 30, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post