Fall TV Preview

Good Wife Exclusive: Emmy Nominee Carrie Preston Poised to Return in Season 5

The Good Wife Carrie Preston Season 5Fresh off her long-overdue Emmy nomination for playing The Good Wife‘s Elsbeth Tascioni, Carrie Preston is nearing a deal to return to the CBS drama in Season 5, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | The Good Wife Retains Ben Rappaport to Play Alicia and Cary’s ‘New’ Spoiler

The actress — who recently finished work on True Blood‘s sixth season — would appear in multiple episodes, according to sources.

Preston debuted as the quirky-genius lawyer at the end of Good Wife‘s first season. To date, she has appeared in nine episodes.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

Earlier this month, Preston told TVLine she felt “really lucky I was trusted with this part, and to bring this very specific creature to life,” adding, “It is a delight to get inside the mechanics of Elsbeth’s brain and body — and to see how she ticks — whenever they give me the opportunity.”

The Good Wife‘s fifth season premieres Sunday, Sept. 29 at 9/8c.

Comments (19)

• I don’t watch, but years ago I worked with her and it’s nice to see people finally appreciating her.

Comment by StupidPeopleShutUp – July 29, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love, LOVE Elsbeth Tascioni, This is great, awesome news! Why isn’t she a regular? I doubt the Good Wife will last much longer, they should take advantage of Carrie’s genius while they still can.

Comment by Babygate – July 29, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She probably can’t schedule being a regular on both True Blood and The Good Wife, as I’d imagine their shooting schedules overlap some. Personally I like her making guest appearances, she’s a great character but one that could get grating if overused.

Comment by Dizzle – July 29, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • +1, I’d like to see her reappear 2-4 times per season. Maybe more if they’re really, really careful, but I don’t think they could pull her off as a regular.

Comment by xx – July 29, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To be honest, I love her on True Blood but her talents are wasted on that show. She barely does anything on TB.

Comment by A – July 29, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree!! Couldn’t agree more! She’s awesome.

Comment by Caro – July 29, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Despite some missteps the writers have taken, Elsbeth Tascioni is always consistently wonderful!

Comment by macabre – July 29, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love Carrie Preston’s work with her character. So glad to see her back for more.

Comment by haunted85 (@haunted85) – July 29, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they would just kill her off of True Blood so she could join The Good Wife full time. She has so much more purpose here.

Comment by Steven – July 29, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s joining Cary and Alicia.

Comment by João Amaral – July 29, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be so great!

Comment by Gwen – July 29, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it! And to.the person who said it would not last much longer I say that’s insane — it’s still the best written and acted show on network television right now!:

Comment by sccates – July 29, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!! It’s still one of the best shows out there. There are those shows that you enjoy but really you could care less when you watch them or how long it takes to catch up on them. The Good Wife, however, for me is one of those addicting shows that you just can’t put off for a week later. It has to be watched the night of!

Comment by A – July 29, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love her and her character. So happy!

Comment by D. – July 29, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy Carrie Preston is back. Now please just confirm Martha Plimpton and Denis O’Hare’s returns and I’d be ecstatic!!

Comment by A – July 29, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the new season of the good wife can not come soon enough.

Comment by linda – July 29, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they would make Carrie Preston a series regular and have Elsbeth join Alicia and Careys law firm.

Comment by Jared – July 29, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This great actress is just a natural for the part…When she supports the Good wife character with out of the box thinking, she is inspiring…thanks you two…

Comment by Tom – July 29, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for Carrie. She’s great on both TB and TGW. I am very happy to see her increased presence on TGW. *Spoiler* I thought she was wonderful on TB when Terry died. I was crying with her.

Comment by Mel – July 30, 2013 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post