Fall Premiere Shuffle: Vampire Diaries, Originals and Supernatural Get Earlier Start Dates

The OriginalsThose thirsting for a new season of The Vampire Diaries – and the debut of its offshoot The Originals – will get their fang fix earlier than expected.

The CW on Monday announced that the Season 5 premiere of TVD and the series premiere of The Originals will bow on Thursday, Oct. 3 starting at  8/7c, a week earlier than previously scheduled

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Guide to What’s New!

The following week, (Oct. 8), The Originals will move to its regular time slot at 8 pm Tuesdays, where it will lead into Supernatural‘s Season 9 opener — which was originally slotted for Oct. 15. (If you miss the Oct. 8 Originals, it will air as an encore at 9 pm on Thursday, Oct. 10 after a new TVD.)

Reign, the network’s new drama about a young Mary, Queen of Scots, will now bow at 9 pm on Thursday, Oct. 17, a week later than originally announced.

Other series, including the returning Hart of Dixie, Beauty and the Beast and The Carrie Diaries and the new offering The Tomorrow People, are unaffected by the changes.

The revised CW premiere schedule looks like this:

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 3
8 pm The Vampire Diaries
9 pm THE ORIGINALS (new series)

MONDAY, OCTOBER 7
8 pm Hart of Dixie
9 pm Beauty and the Beast

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 8
8 pm THE ORIGINALS (Time-slot premiere)
9 pm Supernatural

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 9
8 pm Arrow
9 pm THE TOMORROW PEOPLE (New series)

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 10
8 pm The Vampire Diaires
9 pm THE ORIGINALS (Episode 2 encore)

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 17
8 pm The Vampire Diaries
9 pm REIGN (new series)

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 25
8 pm The Carrie Diaries
9 pm America’s Next Top Model: Guys and Girls

1. Elyse says:

interesting…

2. Melinda says:

Why doesn’t the Originals just come on after TVD? Then it would do better and I’m sure it makes more sense. They could have stories continue from one show to the other like Buffy and Angel

• wordsmith says:

Reign pairs better with TVD than it would with Supernatural – they’re just looking at the big picture.

3. Michelle says:

Oh yes…my boys a week earlier…happy dancing over here!!

4. Merp says:

could it be possible that they are just doing it as one off,so they could get fans to tune in for the spinoff?

5. srandy6977 says:

“starting at at”

6. laura meakin says:

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D anyone? From what I can make out (I’m in UK) that’s ure big spanner that’s been thrown into the works!

• Nat says:

The CW is trying to do damage control because of the Agents of SHIELD. It will be a huge hit no doubt here and they are trying to salvage The Originals .. but I think it is a lost cause honestly.

• Lala says:

I agree. I think someone at the CW just woke up and realized what the competition was on Tuesday nights.

• laura meakin says:

I don’t know where Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D is going in the UK or what day yet but I’d imagine it won’t be against TVD/Originals tbh. The CW in trouble tho with this line up. Agree with earlier comment too re buffy/angel tvd&originals should follow that lead.

7. I think this is a very good idea, so they can get the biggest audience possible for the premiere, now if they were smart, they need to keep promoting The Originals airing on Tuesday, so people now. But I am soooo happy the show is coming on a week earlier, that means less time for me to wait for it to come backk

8. Laura says:

Oh the CW, it’s too little too late.

9. Lala says:

This still doesn’t solve the big problems for The Originals: going against The Shield, the divisive plot line, and getting viewers outside the general TVD audience. Thursday is the better night for this show.

10. dj says:

You should probably remove the Vampire Diaries on October 10th & 17th…right?

11. Pixley says:

Also unsaid: the big “Finn episode” of “Glee” is scheduled for October 10, and TVD’s season premiere would’ve had to compete with it. They can afford a ratings blip in the second week, but it wouldn’t have been wise to premiere TVD on a night when a decent portion of their regular audience might’ve been watching something else.

• Kevin says:

Glee is on 9 while tvd is on 8, so your point doens’t work. I think they shuffled it, because if TVD premiered on 17th Oct, it would also have to compete with wonderland premiere.

12. Jared says:

I think Reign will have to do well out of the gate for it to stay on Thursdays after TVD. Tuesdays at 8 are very competitive especially if Marvels Shield turns out to be the hit most expect it to be. If the CW thinks The Originals is getting hurt and Reign isn’t performing well I can see The Originals moving to Thursdays after the TVD and Reign to Tuesdays to burn through the 13 episode order.

13. Dee says:

Yay!!!! Sam and Dean a week earlier. Love it!!!!

14. How long will Supernatural is going to last and what are the chances?

15. Rob Olivier says:

CW NEEDS to put Supernatural back to Fridays. I’ve been watching it since the beginning and following it all over the schedule, but enough is enough. The show was thriving on Fridays and somehow did well on Wednesdays, but a move to Tuesdays will probably end it. Protect the show and put it back on Fridays at 9pm where it belongs.

16. sarah says:

I still think that TVD and The Originals should air the same night all season. If Reign does not do well then you can bet they would move The Originals to air after TVD.

17. Temperenace says:

I just watched the Originals pilot, and I have to say, as someone that’s incredibly thrilled to get the Originals far (far, far) away from the Vampire Diaries, the pilot was really pretty good. New Orleans as a setting is as great as usual, the more Elijah the better (as always), and the setup is good. Klaus is even marginally less annoying.