Fall TV Preview

Crazy Ones' Sarah Michelle Gellar: Playing Ringer Twins as a New Mom Was 'Not My Smartest Day'

Sarah Michelle Gellar RingerThe last time Sarah Michelle Gellar graced the stage at the Television Critics Assoc.’s summer press tour, the new mom was preparing to pull double duty as rival twin sisters on The CW’s now-dead-and-buried Ringer.

In retrospect, the actress — back at TCA Monday promoting her new CBS comedy The Crazy Ones — laughed, “I don’t think I really thought that whole ‘twin’ thing through.”

RELATED | Watch Trailers For Mom, The Crazy Ones, Intelligence and Other New CBS Series

Gellar was referring to the short-lived thriller’s unexpectedly taxing schedule — one that should differ greatly from her impending Crazy journey.

“I’m extremely hopeful” for a more accommodating production schedule, the candid Gellar shared. “I don’t think I realized that there weren’t two of me [during Ringer], and I thought, ‘Yeah, I can handle this with children.’ That was not my smartest day!”

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013 — What’s On When? And Against What?

As such, “Crazy Ones is such a joy,” she continued. “We had a great time [shooting the pilot] and it was a great schedule. I’ve never had this much fun.” Added bonus: “I was [home] every morning for my kids or I was there to put them to bed” during said shoot.

Work hours aside, Gellar told reporters that “comedy was something I was always interested in,” so landing this role as Robin Williams’ ad exec daughter is “a dream come true.”

“The one thing about Buffy that was so wonderful is we hit all of those different notes: It was funny, it was dramatic, it was scary,” she noted. “And ultimately, this is really what I wanted to do. I think [comedy is] the most challenging. If you cry on camera, people feel for you. It’s much harder to get someone to laugh.”

Comments (55)

• Somewhere Tatiana Maslany is rolling her eyes and muttering “only TWO?!”

Comment by Jane – July 29, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have never laughed so hard in my life!!!!

Comment by Cherry – July 29, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s pretty much ruined everything else with multiple characters played by one actor, she/s THAT good.

Comment by Emily – July 29, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL…I love SMG! But this is the best comment ever!

Comment by Kristy – July 29, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL!

Comment by A – July 29, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hysterical!!!

Comment by Alichat – July 29, 2013 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Appparently if she films a scene with all the clones, it’s at 17 hour day for her!

Comment by Josh – July 29, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the point was juggling that with being home in the morning/night for kids.
      But yeah, Tatiana rocks it like a champ. I’m rooting for like… fifty bazillion new clones next season. Because somehow she’ll manage to make every one of them unique and interesting. She may not have gotten that Emmy nom, but she’ll still be the winner in my book.

Comment by DL – July 29, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL so true. I can’t take Nina Dobrev’s whining about having it hard playing duel roles, seriously after watching Tatiana on Orphan Black.

Comment by dude – July 29, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To be fair to Nina, she does twenty-two episodes a year? Tatiana does 10. Acting wise Tatiana obviously works harder, and does an amazing job (as does Nina IMO) but Nina does it for twice as long.

Comment by Lauren – July 29, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I gave up on VD last season but did Nina do the duel thing all season this year? One of her parts Katherine used to only recurring and in less than half of the episodes.

Comment by ABBY – July 29, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Katherine was around more during the latter half of the season, but it does look like she’ll be around quite a lot next season.

Comment by DL – July 29, 2013 06:31 PM PDT
        • Nina’s acting definitely improved. S1 was terrible for her. I actually liked Ringer. Wasn’t the best, but would have been nice for a shortened s2.

Comment by lorna – July 30, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I also like Ringer. Would have been nice to get a short order season to wrap things up.

Comment by Jill – July 30, 2013 01:57 PM PDT
      • The other thing is that ORPHAN BLACK was specifically set up for this from the first episode. It was a part of how they set up, presumably a huge part of their overall approach to shooting.

Comment by steve o (@ravenwing263) – July 29, 2013 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Pulling double/multiple roles isn’t for everyone. What’s hard for one person might not be for another. At least they’re not brushing it aside and claiming how easy it is?

Comment by Esaul – July 30, 2013 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hey…. let’s spell DUAL correctly, shall we? Unless she’s fighting with herself, DUEL is the wrong word. That is all.

Comment by Tv Troz – July 30, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yay Tv! Another grammar nazi is out there somewhere!

Comment by Snook – July 31, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The English language is going down the toilet. Do they not teach spelling and grammar in school anymore?

Comment by Mikael – July 31, 2013 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, it’s probably especially hard for her since she’s not a very good actress.

Comment by Carrie – July 30, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To be fair, as taxing and time-consuming as all that clone stuff is, when Gellar was Maslany’s age, she was doing BUFFY, which is just as taxing and time-consuming in a different way.

Comment by steve o (@ravenwing263) – July 29, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Replying to my own post to note that a bit of research reveals Maslany is a year older now then Gellar was when BUFFY wrapped so my first statement is a BIT off. But, still, hours of fight training and choreography takes a similar toll as filming over and over again to incorporate multiple roles.

Comment by steve o (@ravenwing263) – July 29, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha! I just spit out my drink. That’s a win comment if I’ve ever seen one.

Comment by Elizabeth – July 29, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey she has kids! give her a break people. Her priorities are different.

Comment by Lu – July 29, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where’s the “Like times 20″ button on TVLINE?

Comment by Kim – July 30, 2013 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed Ringer, but it sounds like SMG was okay with that being a one-season deal. I’m looking forward to seeing her again, and in such a different setting!

Comment by Brooke – July 29, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought she handled Ringer just fine….it was a soapy guilty pleasure that I loved watching. But I can definitely see how it would be such a time commitment, especially with a young family. I can only imagine how much of a non-life Tatiany Maslany must have playing 7 characters. lol.
    And she’s right, Buffy did give her some great experience in the comedy department. SMG is an excellent cryer (whenever Buffy cries, I cry) and I’m looking forward to seeing her in a comedy.

Comment by mia – July 29, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I always cried when Buffy cried, too. Even more so with Willow. Lily crying scenes on HIMYM make me tear up. Alyson Hannigan is the best crier in the biz.

Anyways, I’m looking forward to checking this show out and having SMG back on TV. Hopefully it works this time.

Comment by carly – July 29, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I almost cried reading this comment — that’s how good SMG was at crying. So glad to see her back on TV :)

Comment by Catalina (@cmcandela) – July 29, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The whole time I was reading this, I was thinking of Tatiana Maslany. I’d love to see her face as she was reading this article!

Comment by A – July 29, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To be fair, Tatiana Maslany doesn’t have kids. I can understand SMG wanting to be there for them. I can imagine Tatiana’s Orphan Black schedule must be crazy.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch (@mkroggasch) – July 29, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, OB only has 10 episodes to shoot per season, Ringer had 22. I’m in no way trying to say that what Maslany had to do wouldn’t be taxing but doing a network show is a year round gig.

Comment by CR – July 29, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And Tatiana Maslany is going, “I could’ve done that boat scene from the Ringer pilot MUCH better.”

Comment by Steve F. – July 29, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha! Every time I think of Ringer, I think of that terrible boat scene and crack up!

Comment by Emily – July 29, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tatiana plays 7 characters sure but only for 10 episodes (to gellars 22) and three of those characters are only in one scene in all 10 episodes (as opposed to gellar who was in literally every scene of every episode). Not puting tatiana down at all as I think what she accomplishes is truly remarkable but I don’t really think they’re comparable. And tatiana has said many times how trying and difficult of an experience its been to do what she does so well

Comment by lisa – July 29, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People need to keep this in mind when lambasting Nate Fillion on Castle. He is in almost every scene on the show. For 22 eps. Tatiana Masley was in a lot of scenes, but there were plenty she wasn’t in. Over 10 eps.

Let her make 22 eps, and see how she holds up. It is very time consuming.

Comment by Patrick – July 29, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I may be wrong about this, since I didn’t watch Ringers other than a couple of episodes, but in Orphan Black, Tatiana Maslany’s character interacted with herself quite a bit. I can also only speculate on how much less time it took them to film the 10 episodes. Anyhow, as earlier posters have pointed out, Maslany is younger than SMG.

Comment by Quinn Mallory – July 29, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I actually don’t agree that there are “plenty” of scenes Tatiana is not in. Perhaps you are mistaking one or two of her characters as being played by another actress? (It’s happened to many people).

The creators have said her time on screen EXCEEDS the run time of the entire season (because of the scenes she is playing 2 or 3 of her characters at the same time). I’ve seen the season twice now and seriously, could probably count on one hand the number of scenes she is NOT in.

Comment by David – July 29, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crazy Ones is destined to be SMG’s big comeback ever since the cancellation of Ringer (all mixed up about that series).

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 29, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think it’s a fair comparison between Tatiana Maslany and Sarah Michelle Gellar. I didn’t watch Orphan Black, but it was half the episodes Ringer had and SMG had one child and was pregnant with another while filming.

Comment by Meg – July 29, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hmm. It’s not really fair of you to comment on this without seeing Orphan Black. I agree that SMG’s roles on Ringer were hard and time consuming to play, but what Tatiana did on Orphan Black is beyond what any actor has done on any show, period. Not just Ringer. I’m jealous that you still have OB to watch — if you are willing to give it a chance, you will be blown away in the best possible way, trust me!

Comment by Charlie – July 29, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How is it unfair for him to compare the 2? He stated facts, OB has 10 episodes, Ringer had 22. Tatiana also has no kids, and is a little younger. Comparing the 2 shows is dumb. Especially when I read that Tatiana has said in interviews how taxing it is herself. Also, this article was about Ringer, so really people shouldn’t be bringing some other random show into discussion.

Comment by cas – July 30, 2013 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How is it unfair to comment when the article is about SMG, not Orphan Black?

Comment by err – July 30, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 1. I’ve read recaps about the OB episodes and it doesn’t really interest me. I’m sure she’s a fine actress, but I’ll pass for now.
        2. How many people commented that TM is putting SMG to shame (or some variant of that) without watching a single episode of Ringer? Not saying you didn’t watch Ringer (because it seems like you did) but I’m sure not everyone commenting saw the show. I’m simply going off the facts that Ringer was longer to film and SMG’s personal life is very different than TM’s.

Comment by Meg – July 30, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ve watched Ringer and OB. Please, don’t compare both shows. Ringer is NOTHING compared to Orphan’s amazing piece of art and Tatiana’s sublime acting. Ringer and SMG should be happy that they had one season, bc 10 episodes really put 22 on shame.

Comment by Claudia – July 31, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed Ringer. It had it all. Drama, conflict, great characters and actors, bad guys and good guys (but you never knew who was good/bad and I liked that) betrayal, love, awesome MUSIC, disappointment, shocks, great suspense, good acting (I won’t talk about the writing or directing both of which were lacking) and so much more. About “Crazy Ones”? I couldn’t care less if it is “a dream come true” for the actors on any show or if they “had a great time”, “had fun” or that the “filming schedule” allowed for them to be with their kids in the morning or when they got back from school. I only care if I have a great time watching, if I have fun, and if so then MY schedule will allow for watching it.

Comment by april-ann – July 29, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ringer wasn’t that good. It wasn’t even nice.

Comment by Felix – July 31, 2013 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Buffy was a complete show, mistery, horror, drama, comedy, fantasy. But I really enjoy Ringer, it was like SMG’s Cruel Intentions Character (Kathryn) and Buffy together.

Comment by Fernanda – July 29, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • about the maslany thing: tatiana doesn’t have kids… of course it’s easier for her to pull that off in a show with only 10 episodes.

Comment by Simone – July 29, 2013 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think a lot of people are missing the point that SMG was discussing the issue of playing two characters in the context of also trying to be home in time to see her kid? (She refers to kids, but if memory serves right, she was pregnant with #2 while filming Ringer…which is its own challenge!)

Comment by Brooke – July 30, 2013 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • exactly. you’d think people can understand what they read… too bad that some people are too slow.

Comment by Simone – July 30, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What if Tatiana got pregnant? how the hell could they hide 7 characters’ pregnancy? hahahaha no way to include it since most of them are infertile or maybe they could make a fertility treatment and have them all pregnant LOL

Comment by Sebastian.0315 – July 30, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Ringer and was sad when it got cancelled.

Comment by Shari – July 30, 2013 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I first read the headline, I thought she was regretting doing the show from a quality point of view! I’m glad it’s not that reason, but I get why it was hard for her. I think Ringer got a bit of a bad wrap; it got especially good in the second half of its season. In any case, am looking forward to her return to TV.

Comment by Nat – July 30, 2013 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They purposely use headlines that we’ll think means something worse than it really is, just so we’ll click on it. Shameless. lol

Comment by Abby – July 30, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post