Fall TV Preview

Justin Long to Woo Mom's Anna Faris; CBS Comedy Also Nabs Oscar Winner Octavia Spencer

TCA SUMMER PRESS TOUR 2013Anna Faris’ TV love life is heating up already, weeks before CBS’ Mom is set to debut.

Justin Long will guest-star on the Chuck Lorre’s latest sitcom as Faris’ recovering alcoholic’s “first shot at a meaningful relationship,” it was announced Monday at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour. “Poor bastard doesn’t know what he’s in for,” Lorre added.

RELATED | Fall TV: Read TVLine’s First Impression of CBS’ Mom

Long’s recent TV credits include voice work on FX’s Unsupervised and a love interest for Fox’s New Girl.

Also lined up to guest-star on Mom is Academy Award winner Octavia Spencer, playing a woman “who has bigger problems than [Faris'] Christy,” who in addition to licking the liquor is dealing with a tempestuous teen daughter and a recently resurfaced substance-abusing mother (played by The West Wing‘s Allison Janney). Upon meeting Spencer’s character during the worst part of a horrible, bad day, Lorre said, “Christy gets perspective.”

Want scoop on any summer or fall show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (6)

• This is one new show I’m actually looking forward to (even though it’s Lorre’s, lol).

Comment by april-ann – July 29, 2013 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know. I hope it has a better narrative than his others. Otherwise, I’m out. Men has gone ten years with basically the same formula, few tweaks. Which is why I stopped watching, in addition to outgrowing the humor.

Comment by bradick – July 30, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does everyone on this show have a substance-abuse problem? Anyways, I don’t think I’ll tune in. I used to like Lorre’s shows, but in the past two years or so I’ve kind of given up on them.

Comment by Eric – July 29, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does Octavia have to settle for guest spots on CBS tv shows? An Oscar winner should be getting staring roles but I guess she isnt beige enough for that.

Comment by dean – July 30, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m guessing that this is not settling. I bet she doesn’t want to get caught up in the grind of a weekly show.

Comment by HAP – July 30, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Undeniably imagine that which you stated. Your favourite justification appeared to be on the web the simplest thing to bear in mind of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while other people think about worries that they just do not realize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing with no need side effect , folks could take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thank you|

Comment by dedicated hosting – August 5, 2013 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post