Lea Michele Breaks Silence on Passing of Cory Monteith: 'He Will Forever Be in My Heart'

Lea Michele Tweets Cory Monteith DeathMore than two weeks after the sudden and shocking death of Glee‘s Cory Monteith, his girlfriend and costar Lea Michele has broken her silence.

RELATED | Glee‘s Mike O’Malley Honors Cory Monteith as ‘Real-Life Quarterback,’ Plans to Appear in Upcoming Finn Tribute Episode

“Thank you all for helping me through this time with your enormous love & support,” Michele tweeted on Monday morning, accompanied by the photo to the right. “Cory will forever be in my heart.”

RELATED | Ryan Murphy Remembers Cory Monteith, Discusses Season 5 Plans and Finn Tribute Episode

Glee executive producer Ryan Murphy told TVLine last weekend that Michele had been “a rock” for the show’s cast and crew in the days following Monteith’s death from a mixed drug toxicity that involved heroin and alcohol. Murphy added that “no decisions” about the show’s future were being made without consulting the actress.

“We laid out every possible option. And she was very adamant that she thought it was best for the cast and crew to get back together sooner [rather] than later so that mortgages could be paid and people could take care of their families,” Murphy explained. “Cory was so beloved that she felt people really needed to be together in this time. So we sort of followed her lead.”

In light of Monteith’s passing, Glee‘s fifth season has been pushed back a week, from Sept. 19 to Sept. 26 — following a decision by Fox and 20th Century Fox Television to delay the start of production until early August.

The Glee cast and crew came together on Thursday for an “emotional celebration” of Monteith’s life.

Plans call for Monteith’s character — football quarterback-turned-show choir MVP Finn Hudson — to die early in Season 5, which will be dealt with in a special Finn “tribute episode.” The season’s first two installments — which will focus on the music of The Beatles — were written in May, and will be filmed back-to-back followed by the Finn tribute, before the Glee writing team takes a hiatus to map out where the show will head in the wake of that sad development

1. Victoria says:

I can’t begin to imagine how hard the past few weeks have been for Lea. Planning the service at FOX with Ryan, helping to make decisions with Cory’s mother, making the final call for Glee’s continuation… she’s such an incredibly strong woman, and I admire her more than I can say. I’m so glad she has such a tight-knit group of friends at Glee to help her through this. She and Cory had something truly special together, and their love will last forever, even if it’s taken on new form. Cory will never be forgotten by those who loved him.

2. class act says:

Never was a big fan, i thought she was a talented actress and all, but in the lasts weeks I learned to respect this girl a lot more.

• girlinmd says:

Agree with you I was never a big fan but over the past two weeks I have a lot of respect for her and also for the cast and Ryan who tried to help Cory

3. WTactualF says:

I obviously don’t know Lea, but she seems like a very strong, smart woman. Terribly tragic that she had to plan a funeral instead of a wedding.

4. Cherry says:

This is heartbreaking, Cory battled an addiction and so many people had no idea, because he was such a warm, funny person, no one ever had a bad word to say about him. It’s heartbreaking for Lea, they seemed like such a genuine, loved up couple and to go back to the set everyday where she met Cory must be horrible. I can’t even imagine. So brave.

5. KLM says:

You are such am ass! I hope you get treated the same way you treat others!

6. LOL says:

Not to get all technical, but tweeting something doesn’t officially count as breaking one’s silence.

• aunt_deen@comcast.net says:

Why wouldn’t it? She communicated publicly for the first time since Cory’s death. Seems like breaking the silence to me.

• april-ann says:

“Breaking her silence”. She was not his next of kin. But fans wanted to hear from her so she put something out. About this article…his death was yes sudden and so sad. But shocking? No. Is the sudden death of a drug addict ever shocking? Okay, moving on. She did “communicate” publicly for the first time since his passing. But nothing anywhere whatsoever indicates they were still a couple at the time. Brave? Putting out a “tweet”? I don’t think so. None of us will ever know. And, um, no. NO actor gets to “make the final call” for the continuation of a network series. Sorry, that was nice, but no. I don’t believe that for one second.

• Hank says:

Nothing indicate they weren’t still a couple. Not even sure were that is coming from or why people are trying to pretend they weren’t a couple still. If Lea had decided to quit then I think there would have been a huge conversation on if it should go on. Did she have the finale say maybe not but her continued involved probably saved it for now, IMO. Why are people being such assholes about this whole situation?

7. Shane long says:

I don’t know about you, but i think that Lea has been very brave about the way she has dealt with an awful situation. You are in our thoughts and just think Cory will live on in your heart forever. Rip Cory

8. Jim says:

I wonder if Lea will be in the first two episodes this season. Damn, this is going to be a tough season to watch.

• Sue says:

Ryan said she would be in the first two episodes. Since she wants to get back to work I don’t see why she wouldn’t .

9. Ron says:

I wasn’t a big fan of hers by any stretch of the imagination. But I respect her a lot more after seeing how she has dealt with this unfortunate tragedy. I also don’t watch the show, but I think it would be nice if the cast pulled a “Rent” and sang Seasons of Love together to open the first episode of the season. I think it would be very fitting.

• heyang says:

1st 2 episodes are Beatles Tributes. As far as the tribute, should it be Don’t Stop Believin as one of the group songs? Should each cast member participate in a song that was originally sung on the show by Cory?

10. heyang says:

Lea has been as brave as any other person who has lost a loved one to drugs. The added pressure is the attention of media and fans, which have fortunately been supportive – although there have been some trolls on various ‘articles’ who want to speak ill of the dead.

11. Emily K. says:

I think that Lea Michele is an incredible woman and a great role model. She stood by Cory when he needed help and has been so strong these past few weeks. It’s incredible how she’s managed to do all that she’s done since losing a loved one. My heart really goes out to her.

12. There are no words right now to express how grateful I am that there are people like Lea in the world. I have always admired Lea: her strength, passion, determination etc. and have always liked her as both a person and an actress, it seems like nothing phases her – a strong woman. These past few weeks have proven just that. I’m still truly heartbroken by Cory’s passing, so I can’t begin to imagine how Lea, the Monteith’s and Cory’s friends are dealing with this. Lea truly is one of a kind, and although Cory is no longer with us, like she says, he will always be in her heart (and ours). The way she has dealt with his tragic death, so far, proves that she’s the epitome of strength. It just goes to show there are good people out there; deciding to continue with Glee because ‘everyone needs to pay their mortages’ etc. shows what a kind soul she is. My heart aches for her, I just hope the press continue to give her the privacy she deserves. It’s no doubt Cory’s legacy will live on, through the many lives’ he’s touched/helped/saved, by talking so publicly about his struggles. Thinking of you, Lea. RIP Cory <3

13. Alex H says:

Wow. I can’t say that I’m a fan of Lea Michele, but in these weeks I’ve come to respect her even more than I could have ever thought. I can’t even imagine what the last two weeks have been like for her, but to show the strength that she has and the leadership she has shown is something I know a lot of us couldn’t do, myself included. I truly wish the best for her.

14. Angela says:

My condolences go out to Lea-I can’t even begin to imagine how hard the last couple weeks have been for her. I wish her the best of luck moving forward, and hope she can find comfort and solace in those closest to her.
    And I hope the media continues to give her proper space, too.

15. I’ve been a fan of Lea’s all the way through, going back to Broadway, but I have really found myself respecting the heck out of her these last couple of weeks. It takes a really strong person to be able to do what she’s done while grieving for Cory. I’m not completely sure that I would’ve been able to do the same thing.

I applaud her for what she’s done and I hope she continues to keep putting one foot in front of another. It does get easier, stay strong girl.

16. Michael says:

I’m really hoping they have Lea sing “My Heart Will Go On” at the end of the tribute. I think it is incredibly fitting, and it would be a beautiful, touching way to say good-bye.

17. karenb says:

Beautiful picture. So sad.

18. Becky says:

I think from the many statements of I wasn’t a fan some people finally realize between how Lea has handled this and how secret Cory’s problems were we really don’t know these people. We shouldn’t relay on gossip rags to determine who is a diva or who is this or that. From all accounts Cory was a good guy but no one expected his problem to be so bad. And Lea got the rap of diva, can she be maybe sometimes but I always felt those rumors were exaggerated and some due to the fact of her playing Rachel.

19. Ann says:

This remains so very sad. Two gorgeous, talented young people, so in love. Just heartbreaking.
    Have seen most — but not all — Glee (came late to Season 1 but hooked immediately once there) and anyway, had this thought, d**m, I don’t think they ever took on Sonny & Cher. It would have been so sweet to have Cory & Lea sing ‘I Got You, Babe.’
    Now, like so many classic love songs / duets, won’t happen. Cannot see show thriving going forward.Struggled thru much of Sea. 4; seems much of
    that was because Cory was away already. So much of the heart and soul of show was him, and he & Lea
    together. Lightening like that doesn’t strike twice. Would expect Lea to leave after this season. Just too sad.