NBC Orders Hillary Clinton Miniseries Starring Diane Lane, Updates of Rosemary's Baby and Stephen King's The Tommyknockers

diane lane hillary clintonNBC on Saturday announced plans for four new “event” projects, including a four-hour miniseries about likely 2016 presidential contender Hillary Clinton starring Oscar nominee Diane Lane in the title role.

Also in the Peacock pipeline: Remakes of Rosemary’s Baby and Stephen King’s The Tommyknockers, and a Mark Burnett-produced limited series about the “landing of the pilgrims at Plymouth Rock,” NBC Chairman Robert Greenblatt revealed to reporters at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour on Saturday.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

Other highlights/key soundbites form NBC’s exec session:

* “Nobody’s more frustrated with shows like The New Normal and Go On not returning to the schedule than me and maybe [NBC president] Jennifer [Salke],” Greenblatt conceded of the cancelled comedies. “You have to make those really difficult calls for what you can renew at what rating.” Added Salke:  “The tolerance for shows struggling is shorter than it’s ever been. It’s frustrating that you can’t take the time to nurture a show the way you might want to.”

* NBC’s reality chief stopped short of announcing a Celebrity Apprentice renewal, saying the show is in the “restocking of the celebrity pond” (i.e. casting) phase. Regarding doing business with outspoken lightning rod Donald Trump, “We live in a country where free speech is supported. He is in the business of creating his own headlines and we are in the business of creating ours.”

* Greenblatt said it’s his hope that outgoing Tonight Show host Jay Leno will “still be a presence on the network…  We’ve been having conversations with Jay. We have various ideas. Nothing would make us happier, a la Bob Hope, to have him be part of the network. I’m really hoping we can do that post-February.”

1. Mitholas says:

Odd decision to pick up a series that deals with a topic quite so similar to Political Animals.

2. EJ says:

Would Carey Mulligan be interested in the remake of Rosemary’s Baby? She’d be great for Rosemary.

3. tlh45 says:

Three out of Four of those sound good and I might tune in to watch, depending on who is in them! Not interested at all in a Hillary Clinton movie!

4. Joe says:

Should have cast Amy Poehler as Hilary

5. ruby says:

Am I the only one that is still upset that USA canceled political animals,it was such a good show.I miss it so much..just asking is it too late for them to continue?I mean its their only show that gets nominated or wins awards..

6. Babybop says:

I’m still sad about Go On… Ha ha. Honestly, I really like Celebrity Apprentice. I hope it gets renewed for the hours of entertainment it brings to my Spring!

7. IMHO says:

I’m happy to NBC investing in telling a good story via a mini series and not just another new reality show.
    I was hoping the Donald would finally be fired but I’ll just change the channel when he’s on.

8. Boiler says:

I guess I am not getting why networks can’t be a little more patient with shows. I am guessing anything new they add probably won’t do a lot better. Upset about Happy Endings but at least ABC gave it 3 years which is surprising in itself. Friends would have lasted one year in today’s world. Also please get rid of Donald

9. Drew says:

Am I the only person who thinks that it is pretty scary to have a major network airing a four hour propaganda piece for a likely presidential candidate? I mean, putting aside the fact that casting Diane Lane to play Hillary Clinton is like casting Yvonne Strahovski to play Janet Reno, this is just unethical. Unless they’re going to produce fluffy miniseries for other candidates as well, written lovingly and with great care.

On the bright side, it might be nice to see a version of Rosemary’s Baby that isn’t directed by a (strangely beloved in Hollywood) pedophile.

• JBC says:

Yes, Drew, I totally agree.

• Ana says:

I agree with your take on the Hillary event. But I’m not surprised. 2016 is around the corner and so the propaganda begins. I’d bet there will be no mention of the fact that she’s a self-proclaimed progressive of what that even means. Or if her infamous ‘what does it matter?’ response to Benghazi will make an appearance. I respect Hillary even if I don’t agree with her politics, so I will probably tune in, unless it’s just another utterly ridiculous representation, in which case, I will pass. For a comedy, I much rather watch Amy Pohler. And I agree, Diana Lane, really?

• Drew says:

The problem is that even if they wanted to be unbiased, she is still a current political figure. There is no way to be completely impartial and we already know NBC’s political slant. So there is pretty much no hope for this.

Now, if they had events like this for different figures from both sides it might be interesting. Even then you’d have completely partial movies.

• CJ says:

Did you miss the part about how they might still be giving Trump airtime??? He more than counter-balances the 4 hours they’ll be giving to a brilliant politician like Hillary.

• Drew says:

If Donald Trump is ever the nominee I will bake you cupcakes every day for a year.

(Disclaimer: the above offer is sarcasm. In the event that he!! freezes over I will not actually bake you cupcakes)

It is not remotely the same thing. A more proper comparison to Trump would be Roseanne Barr.

Now if they want to give Sarah Palin or Ted Cruz a living, epic miniseries, that might be more of a match for Hillary.

• KSM says:

Hypocrite. Real a real newspaper.

• Drew says:

Can you clarify? I mean, if you’re going to call someone a hypocrite and tell them to read a newspaper, you’re implying that you know something. Care to share with the rest of the class?

• ImperatoreFormaggio says:

To get the performance right, Bill Clinton has generously offered to have sex with Diane Lane.

• KSM says:

First, she is not yet a nominee. Second, you have NO idea what this will look like. It could be totally anti-Hilary as far as you know. Third, way to be judgmental about looks… there is nothing unethical about having an accomplished actress play an important role (you cannot deny that Hilary is important, regardless of your politics). Finally, SHE IS NOT A CANDIDATE.

• Drew says:

Having a miniseries slamming her would also qualify as bias. Either way, it’s inappropriate to air a four hour miniseries which centers on what the above article describes as a “likely 2016 presidential contender”. It is fictionalizing a current political figure and the events that surrounded that person. It is taking actual events and filtering them through producers, directors, network heads, writers and actors before projecting them onto our televisions. It is not a documentary which examines the history and has knowledgeable people discussing the issues. It is spoon feeding a certain version of the story to the audience. When they do this with Abraham Lincoln or George Washington or other historical figures, it is irritating but unimportant. When they are doing it with a current political figure who is a very likely candidate for the next presidential race, it is entirely unethical.

You see this. You know what I’m saying is true, because any rational person knows that what I’m saying is true and I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt. The question is, why are you willing to go along with something like this? Why are you willing to accept such blatant propaganda from a major network? Because you agree with it? Because this time around, your side is the one likely to look good? That is weak and dangerous reasoning, friend.

• Ana says:

Only low information voters will buy into the hype. No one that has been paying attention can believe that she will make a credible or competent candidate or president. But it is also obvious that she is getting ready for a run. That has been her objective all along. But she blew it as Secretary of State so she now has to lay low, regroup and let the acolytes do the work for her. This series is nothing but an early stop on the Hillary ’16 stop. And it is brilliant because she has NBC picking up the tab. And she will be portrayed as a woman of honor and conviction and a victim, etc. Once again, the media constructs the narrative to fit their purpose. But hey, anyone that believes the hype deserve what they get. I only hope that the Benghazi four and the families that are still waiting for answers are not dishonored.

• Pat says:

But that’s the point! She did blow it as Secretary of State, but every show needs a hero, so they’ll play this to the hilt – they’ll have to, otherwise they won’t have viewers beyond the first episode.
            It’ll be fiction, But it’ll make her look good, and will boost her chances to be the nominee. The Political Machine in this country is sickening. The Hollywood set supports everything left and liberal, with a few exceptions (Clint Eastwood etc) and their way of ensuring that their pet candidate is elected is to put out a fictitious miniseries with their candidate’s name on it. Ugh!

• AmbidextrousAspie says:

LOL–still harping on Benghazi? Republcans are such a joke! I suppose you think Palin would be a good candidate. Hillary will be an excellent President. She sure won’t put up with the childishness of the GOP, and that seems to have your side scared already.

LOL!

• Drew says:

The fact that you think Benghazi should be brushed off so easily shows that you have no grasp of the issue or what a good president would be. What do you think their job is and in what way was Benghazi an example of that job being well done by anyone involved?

• deb says:

I totally agree with you Drew..This will be a one-sided view…HILLARY’S! With all the other stupid stuff she has said, you have to know that this will NEVER be a true story! This has no business being put on tv!

10. lily says:

i don’t see why people can’t wait to make these hillary movies until they’ve actually seen what’s going to happen with her in 2016. there could be a lot more left to her story

11. Ethel says:

They can cancel The New Normal and Go On and then justify Celebrity Apprentice?Somebody must have something on somebody!!

12. liz says:

Excited for the Hilary Clinton movie. I LOVE her. If I was American, I’d volunteer for her campaign right now.

13. Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The words in your post seem to be running off
    the screen in Safari. I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know.

The layout look great though! Hope you get the issue solved
    soon. Thanks

14. I find it interesting that without seeing it, so many seem to know “exactly” what the Hillary show is about. It’s a bit like being upset that Mike Tyson and Dennis Rodman are going to be fired because they are African-Americans in upcoming episodes of Celebrity Apprentice, even though no one knows if they will even be on the show. I will, however, agree that airing a biopic about a potential candidate is rather inappropriate. People have a tendency to vote based on name and perceived image recognition (how else to explain Ronald Reagan and G.W. Bush?), and as such it does amount to essentially 4 hours of free face-time for a probable candidate. Then again, The Trump has intimated that his run for the Presidency is not entirely out of the question, and look at how many hours of him and that thing on his head we’ve had to endure.

15. Good website! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I’m wondering how I could be notified when a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your feed which must do the trick! Have a great day!