Fall TV Preview

Fall TV First Impression: Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Brooklyn Nine-Nine PreviewThe broadcast networks have almost 30 shows debuting this fall, including a futuristic tale from the Fringe team, new sitcoms from Michael J. Fox and Sean Hayes, and a trip down the rabbit hole to Wonderland. To help you prep for it all, TVLine is offering First Impressions of the not-for-review pilots.

Next up on our list….

THE SHOW | Fox’s Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Tuesdays at 8:30/7:30c; premieres Sept. 17)

THE COMPETITION | CBS’ NCIS, ABC’s Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (new), The CW’s The Originals (new) and NBC’s The Biggest Loser

THE CAST | Andre Braugher (Men of a Certain Age), Andy Samberg (Saturday Night Live), Chelsea Peretti (Kroll Show), Stephanie Beatriz (Modern Family), Terry Crews (Everybody Hates Chris), Melissa Fumero (One Life to Live) and Joe Lo Truglio (Burning Love)

RELATED | Fall Preview: TVLine’s Grid Showing What’s On When and Versus What!

THE SET-UP | From Parks and Recreation‘s Dan Goor and Michael Schur, this single-camera comedy follows the police detectives of the 99th precinct as they adjust to a new, ambitious captain (Braugher).
BrooklynNineNine_cast_600RELATED | TVLine’s Guide to All the New Fall Shows

THE FIRST IMPRESSION | With the jury still out on what The Crazy Ones will typically look like and both Trophy Wife and Back in the Game dinged by some casting issues, Brooklyn Nine-Nine — when comparing pilot-to-pilot, laughs-for-laughs — stands as the fall’s best new comedy. Is it doing anything revolutionary? Not really. But as a big Barney Miller fan, I think it successfully serves up the rare cop shop comedy, filled with LOLs and boasting a vivid, diverse ensemble devoid of any clunkers. Samberg is goofy without being cartoonish, Braugher delivers a perfect tone of warm authority, Crews brings a fresh spin on the big galoot and Peretti (far left, above) proves herself an adept scene stealer. The pilot has some fun with the hint of an unlikely workplace romance, and closes with an interesting wrinkle.

RELATED | More Fall TV First Impressions: CBS’ Mom, ABC’s WonderlandNBC’s The BlacklistThe CW’s ReignABC’s Trophy Wife, Fox’s Sleepy HollowCBS’ Hostages, NBC’s IronsideABC’s Super Fun NightThe CW’s The Tomorrow PeopleFox’s Almost HumanCBS’ The Crazy Ones

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | Even the best new comedy will have its work cut out for it, going up against both TV’s most watched program and the super-buzzy S.H.I.E.L.D.and with one of the fall’s most disappointing new sitcoms, Dads, as its lead-in. Prediction: When Dads craters, Raising Hope gets rescued from its new Friday time slot and returned to Tuesdays, offering B99 at least a funny companion show.

Watch a video preview for Brooklyn Nine-Nine, then vote in our poll below.

Comments (43)

• Tuesday at 8 is slammed. Tons of great shows. NCIS could not have picked a worse year for Cote to bail. Lots of fans are POd.

Comment by Patrick – July 26, 2013 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NCIS didn’t pick it, Cote did.

Comment by JCK – July 26, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Whenever a network and actor can’t reach a contract agreement the actor is given the courtesy of saying they chose to leave so that the show isn’t seen as the bad guy and the actor isn’t seen as the greedy holdout.

Comment by canadian ninja – July 27, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, but all those fans will tune in to see how they wrap up her storyline. It’s something like six episodes or so. Once they get that far into a season they will probably stay out of habit. NCIS WILL drop (it’s been doing that slowly already) but it will still dominate the television landscape.

Comment by Dav – July 26, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really bad scheduling by Fox….but I can’t wait for this show. It looks great.

Comment by CJ – July 26, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If only The Good Guys was still on the air so that there could be across over episode.

Comment by Shelley – July 26, 2013 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Bring back The Good Guys!

Maybe we should start a petition in the computer machine.

Comment by Drew – July 26, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I often wonder how Dan Stark would handle a situation..miss those guys!

Comment by TroyS – August 20, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crews and Braugher are the only reason to tune into this. The man-child ‘im so exceptional’ character of Samberg looks ridiculously annoying. I like a protagonist thats an excellent detective, really smart…but I don’t like it when he’s got the sensibilities of a 13 year old.

Comment by mia – July 26, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, that’s the thing — Samberg’s character IS a very good detective, despite his laid-back persona.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – July 26, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think that’s exactly what he’s criticizing. He’s fine with them being good at their jobs but not when they’re supposed to be prodigies that still act like toddlers. It’s grating.

I’ve heard several people say this is a really good show but I don’t think I laughed once at this trailer. The Crazy Ones, Back in the Game, and Trophy Wife all look funnier to me. I’m passing on this one.

Comment by Zayne – July 26, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think Mia is a chick not a dude.
          having said that you’re judging a lot from a trailer over someone who’s seen the whole show.
          I love the cast. It’s cool seeing members of the State in prime time and I will be checking this out and DVRing Shield.

Comment by Nick C – July 26, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • ya, I’m a gal, but it doesn’t matter. And you’re right I’m judging a lot from a trailer….but isn’t that the point? They are trying to lure me in as a viewer. I don’t have to watch the full pilot.

Comment by mia – July 26, 2013 01:18 PM PDT
        • yup, thats exactly what I’m saying.

Comment by mia – July 26, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, Crews and Braugher are reasons to tune in, Samberg, not so

Comment by Ethel – July 26, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • interesting i was going to pass on this due to the trailer, but if Matt says its this good i’ll definitly give it a try, unfortunatly Fox puts it in the worst time slot and i will have to DVR it so i can watch AOS live.

Comment by James D – July 26, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tuesdays will be rough for me. So many good shows on. I don’t think it will happen but I’m hoping ABC Family will move Pretty Little Liars off Tuesdays so I won’t have 5 shows in the Tuesday at 8pm slot!

Comment by Elyse – July 26, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t have this problem. I have Dish network and my DVR allows me to record 6 things. Not like cable’s 2. I can watch them all….

Comment by Angel Torres – July 26, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have directv and I can record up to 5 at once but you can only record up to 4 if you want to be able to still watch live TV and for some reason my boyfriend always picks the days I have the max number of shows recording to not play xbox and complain about wanting to watch live TV… I think he does it on purpose…

Comment by Elyse – July 26, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The HOPPAH!!!

Comment by Bob – July 26, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This seems to be a little beneath the talents of Andre Braugher. And I can take Andy Samberg in small doses in SNL but I don’t know if he can carry this show. Still, I will check it out because I am a big fan of Braugher and Terry Crews (who can always go back to “The Newsroom” if this doesn’t work out).

Comment by Gwen – July 26, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was all prepared to love this until I saw the trailer, which played a bit too trite and over-reliant on Samberg’s goofiness…. But if it works as well as it sounds it does over the full half-hour, I’m all set to watch :)

Comment by Dizzle – July 26, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t know if Andy Samberg is ready for prime time.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 26, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll check out anything with Andre Braugher in it. I love that guy. He seems to be able to excel in any genre. He was great in Men of a Certain Age.

Comment by mb – July 26, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me, or did any other Chelsea fans hear her “no thank you” podcast soundbite in their head when reading those poll options? #perettiforlife

Comment by lctatge – July 26, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Samberg’s annoying childishness is too much for me. Of all the new show previews I saw, the only one that turned me off more than this show was Dads. The fact that these two shows are paired together insures that I will not be going anywhere near FOX on Tuesday nights.

Comment by Sara – July 26, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Having seen nearly all of the sitcom pilots from this fall, I completely agree with Matt about this pilot. Samberg and Braugher are both outstanding, with a stellar supporting cast in Perretti, Crews and La Truglio. I don’t always agree with Matt’s opinion, but he was totally spot on, this pilot stood out as the leader of the pack for me too. Also Fred Armisen’s super-quick cameo was hilarious, and the relative newcomers to the cast are good as well. Can’t wait for this one.

Comment by Shoukichi – July 26, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will give the show a chance. Ben and Kate didn’t look very funny but it became a good show… before it was canceled.

If this show is good, Fox will be a solid Tuesday watch channel while I record Supernatural (to watch with Arrow on Wednesday).

Comment by Drew – July 26, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on I'm LissaBreen – Welcome To My World (My Life, My Way&My Destiny).

Comment by LissaCaldina – July 26, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking forward to this, but it’s unfortunately going to be DVR’d. On another night it would be must watch. I rarely miss NCIS, but Agents of SHIELD looks so good.

Comment by Jmorgue (@jmorgue) – July 26, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Dads quickly tanks (as we all can assume it will) they should move RH to 8 mindy project to 830 and B99 to 930 after New Girl. At least Fox can same B99 from the super busy Tuesday at 8 timeslot and offer the best lead in they have

Comment by Ram510 – July 26, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mindy should be on last, I think. That way I can settle in early, watch the funny shows and get out without having to waste a half hour at any point. I can barely sit through commercials for The Mindy Project.

Comment by Drew – July 26, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch it after this review! I’m hoping Raising Hope gets rescued from Fridays too.

Comment by Babybop – July 26, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a big fan of Andy Samberg’s but typically can’t stand Fox comedies. I’ll probably give this series a couple episodes but don’t have very high hopes.

Comment by Jared – July 26, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not looking forward to this at all

Comment by Patrick Maloney – July 26, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • N.C.I.S. and S.H.I.E.L.D. – besides this show looks ridiculous, it’s going up against the number one scripted show on TV right now and what might be the hottest show for the new season? Yeah, scheduling nightmare. It has virtually no shot… And the trailer was just, well… stupid.

Comment by sladewilson – July 26, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch anything with Braugher in it. Samberg rarely made me laugh on SNL but the trailer for this was funny to me and i’ll check it out dvr scheduling permitting

Comment by meatwad – July 26, 2013 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I generally trust Matt, but Chelsea Peretti really bugs me. Is she just being herself?

Comment by Sheila – July 26, 2013 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s hillarious. Different strokes.

Comment by holden tacos – July 27, 2013 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • eh. this just feels like it’s trying too hard.

Comment by Betsy – July 26, 2013 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel sorry for this show. The pilot is outstanding but it’s got a crap lead-in on a real battleground of a night.

Comment by Sheldon W. – July 28, 2013 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like a dumbed down version of The Unusuals.

Comment by SoS – July 29, 2013 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be watching S.H.E.I.L.D. but DVRing this cuz it looks great and funny as hell!

Comment by Mika02 – August 4, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post