Breaking Bad Boss Vince Gilligan 'Very Proud' of Series' End, Hopeful for Saul Goodman Spin-Off

Get More: Finales, News, Previews

Breaking Bad Series Final SpoilersTo any Breaking Bad fans anxious about the acclaimed AMC drama’s swan song run and imminent conclusion (beginning Aug. 11), fret not: You’re in good company.

“I was really nervous about coming up with the end of this thing for a year straight — for six years straight,” creator Vince Gilligan confessed Friday at the Television Critics Associations’ summer press tour in Beverly Hills.

VIDEO | Breaking Bad Final Episodes Preview — Dean Norris

However, the EP admitted that he was able to breathe a bit easier upon finally realizing that “the best hope we had to come up with something that, hopefully, most people will like was to satisfy ourselves, the seven of us in the writers’ room, [as well as] the cast and the crew.”

“I am very proud of the ending,” the candid Gilligan continued. “I can’t wait for everyone to see it. I am very cautious in my estimation, in general, of how people will respond to things; I hope I am not wildly wrong to estimate that most folks are going to dig the ending.”

Bryan Cranston, meanwhile, took this opportunity to spoil Bad‘s series finale for the critic-filled room. “Everyone will be satisfied with the ending, where we hug it out [and] where all is forgiven,” the man behind Heisenberg said, laughing. (Spoiler Alert: It’s a joke.)

VIDEO | Breaking Bad Teasers: Hank Is Driven! And Jesse Is Buggin’ Out!

While Walt and Jesse’s journey is coming to a close, Saul Goodman’s may continue. As previously reported, AMC is eyeing a spin-off centered on Bob Odenkirk’s underhanded lawyer — a project Gilligan is eager to tackle.

“It is my fervent wish that there will be a Saul Goodman spin-off,” he shared. “I’m not speaking for any company or professional entity when I say that I really hope it happens. I would very much like it to [come to fruition]. And creatively, we’re working toward that.” Echoed Odenkirk: “I love everything that Vince just said… I would love to do it; I’d do it in a second. Because if Vince wrote it, it’s going to be awesome.”

That said, the actor will be equally fulfilled if AMC opts not to call Saul. “Everything good that’s already come from me being a part of this is all I would ever need to make me happy,” Odenkirk said.

Comments (9)

• What a really nice group of people they all seem like. They deserve all the success for such a brilliant show and for being so down to earth and gracious.

Comment by Rob – July 26, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gonna miss this small gem that stands with the titans of TV. It might not have set records for ratings, but every fan out there is loyal and can agree when I say, it is truly one of the best to grace television :)

Comment by DonDraperSaysWhat – July 26, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve said for a long time now that if this show manages to finish with a really strong 8 episodes, and ideally up to the standard it’s been since season 4, it should go down as the best tv show ever. It’s already in an elite class with the wire, the sopranos, etc. but a show has to be judged in its entirety so if it pulls of the level of tension and drama we’re used to and caps it off with a satisfying ending, it’s the best bar none.

Comment by DG – July 26, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except, OBVIOUSLY, for The SOpranos. Which is BY FAR the best thing that ever happened to television.
      I’m sure you’ll agree…

Comment by Nicholas – August 2, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of AMC’s best shows ever. I’m gonna miss the show when it ends. I can’t wait to see the final episodes.

Comment by Joey – July 26, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best. Show. On. TV. Can’t wait for the new season but at the same time do not want it to end at all. =(

Comment by J – July 27, 2013 01:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Your never gonna satisfy everyone.

However, I always feel if a show is still in good shape towards the end, then viewers should just let the writers write and not let their expectations be dashed with how they formulate the ending in their head. This is not in reference to any show in particular. But all too often, I see people speculate and speculate and theorize and essentially write their own endings to a show, only to be disappointed when it doesn’t go that way and then proceed to peg it as a show ruiner

Outside of that little digression, its gonna be hard to say goodbye to this show.

Comment by Tony – July 27, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saul spin off? Not seeing the point.

Comment by Tom – July 29, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A poor UI can ruin a great a game, and a good UI can make a
    mediocre game actually enjoyable. The Emmy Nominations for 2012 are as follows, along with predicted wins.
    31 after hammering Syracuse 42-14 in its home opener.

Comment by Breaking Bad game – March 19, 2014 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post