Bones Scoop: Meet the Guy Who 'Knows Booth Better Than Brennan Does'

Mather Zickel BonesBones is turning to a comedic actor to help rid the drama in Booth’s life.

Funnyman Mather Zickel (House of Lies, Man Up) is joining the Fox drama’s ninth season as an ex-priest who shares a past with David Boreanaz’ G-man, TVLine has confirmed.

VIDEO | David Boreanaz Promises a Radically Different Booth in Season 9

The character, Aldo Coulter, served as Booth’s “ex-confessor when he was a sniper in the Rangers,” series creator Hart Hanson told TVLine last week at Comic-Con.

Besieged by a serious case of Catholic guilt after breaking off his engagement to Brennan, Booth seeks out “his old spiritual advisor, who now runs a bar, to talk things out,” Hanson explained. “They have a very close relationship. As Coulter points out to Brennan in the premiere, he knows Booth better than she does.”

Zickel’s casting, which broke on Boreanaz’ twitter feed, comes a day after Freddie Prinze Jr. signed on to play an old friend of Booth’s.

Both Zickel and Prinze will debut in Bones‘ Season 9 premiere on Sept. 16.

1. Shaun Ed says:

Can they please kill off Pelant first before introducing more characters? Pelant was the worst part last season and made the finale really horrible to watch.

• Zach says:

Wrong. Pelant was the best. He’s so freaking crazy.

And Mather Zickel is always welcome in my book. One funny dude.

• A says:

I agree. He is the only thing about last season that was entertaining. Season 8 was very lackluster aside from the Pelant episodes/drama. Nothing great about it. The awful Cam/Arastoo union. The boring filler episodes. The overly emotional 9/11 episode and child soldiers episodes. Pelant episodes were the best ones IMO. He’s a nutjob and I like him messing with Booth and Brennan.

• agree completely.. I’ve loved the Pelant line. I agree he needs to die a horrible death, preferably at the hands of Seeley Booth, but I’ve still loved his character. I’m very keen for the new season.. Bring it Hart Hanson!!

• Beth Meador says:

I agree…Palant is worse than the first one…that we lost zack. darn can’t remember that son thing…sorry.

2. amber says:

Both these characters are going to help booth in his quest to track and kill (?) Pelant PLUS…Booth needs a friend on the show…so bring it on

3. Sky Lark says:

It’s about time we see Booth’s friends and confidants, it doesnt make sense his support group is never shown and apparently he cant trust the Jeff team to trust his judgement on what is best for him and Brennan. People who live in glass houses…………..

• amber says:

EXACTLY!!!!!!! Booth isn’t a lone wolf, he needs someone to talk too just like Brennan has, ugh, Angela…and he needs someone outside of work, someone who knows him from his past, who gets him…and these two guys will help Booth with finding Pelant, so what is not to love.. S9 has me ubber uber excited…THANKS for the scoopage.

4. Audrey Reid Carr says:

I’m hanging in there, but last season was a bit lackluster for me too. The Pelant thing needs to be put to rest.

It’ll be nice to see some more depth to booth.
    The together – not together storylines are no longer fresh. Pick one. Move on.

5. Jo says:

I’m looking forward to season 9. I want Pelant killed off fast and furious hopefully by Booth, of course legally. Bones is Booth’s best friend and knows him better than all others. This new guy may know a ruff cut of Booth. After all he was in a kick a?? environment a Ranger. Sweating all his kills he had to unload on someone who better than a priest. Bones knows the complete man. After 8years surely she does. I’m curious about the CIA guy friend or foe? Season 9 sounds great.

6. Daynette says:

BRING BACK ZACH!!!!! Losing him, especially the way it happened, was horrible! He could be the one who outsmarts that SOB Pelant & leads the way for Booth to take him out once & for all!

7. Brenda Whittlesey says:

I have been waiting so very long for Booth and Brennan to get together and have a real life, with all the bad guys to catch the romance between them makes for a realness to the storey line. The friendship with the rest of the cast I would like to see evolve. Please….

8. Roro says:

I can’t wait for more episodes of that new squint/intern Dr. Oliver Wells :)

9. Bridget says:

Max’s alias name in Judas on a Pole was Father Coulter. Is the naming a little Easter egg that the writers threw out to the fans or do the Bones writers have that limited of a pool from which to pick character names? Judging from the number of characters over the years who had the first name of Hank or last name of Kent, the latter is just as likely as the first. :P

10. Toni Wyatt says:

I really like Bones. I would like to see some more of Parker. It seems as soon as Brennan had the baby he’s been all but forgotten. He’s not even mentioned in conversation. I rather like the Pelant story line. It’s made for good watching. Yea I will agree I’m not impressed with Cam’s boyfriend situation. They just don’t fit. I would also like to see Hannah come back for an episode or two. When her and Booth broke up she said they wasn’t done,just for now. Think it make good story line if she would come back trying to get Booth back with not knowing about Booth and Brennan’s relationship. And I believe the CIA guy is definitely involved with Pelant in some way. I’m pleased to hear they’re going to bring in friends for Booth. He needs that friendship,he needs someone to talk to, to confide in. Be interesting. Looking forward to new season to start.