Comic-Con

How Will Wonderland Compare to Original Once? Plus: Scoop on the Spin-Off's 'Surprising' Jafar

“We can’t wait for people to come down the rabbit hole with us.” That is Once Upon a Time in Wonderland cocreator Eddy Kitsis‘ invitation for viewers to sample the Once spin-off premiering Thursday, Oct. 10.

Taking turns (with varying degrees of success!) to preview the new ABC series during a visit with Michael Ausiello in TVLine’s Comic-Con suite, cast members Michael Socha (who plays the Knave of Hearts), Sophie Lowe (Alice), Emmy Rigby (the Red Queen) and Peter Gadiot (Cyrus) promise “a self-contained adventure” revolving around “Alice’s quest to find love” that being Gadiot’s charming genie, whom she fell hard for on her first trip to the fantastical realm.

RELATED | Read TVLine’s First Impression of Once Upon a Time in Wonderland

Also during this video Q&A: Kitsis and fellow EPs Adam Horowitz and Zack Estrin compare Wonderland to the mothership series (Is it the “sexier, naughtier cousin”?) and tease what they have in store for new addition/Lost alum Naveen Andrews‘ take on the nefarious Jafar.

Comments (33)

• I wanted to hear more about the cast and their characters :( is that all there is from the interview?

Comment by Cherry – July 24, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t like Sophie Lowe, so the rest of the show will need to be spectacular for me to watch it.

Comment by lyn – July 24, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a fan of Michael Socha from the UK version of Being Human (a show that I don’t think is as good as the US version, but has a lot of talented actors on it). That said… I still have no bloody clue what he’s saying half the time!

Comment by Drew – July 24, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! They really need to teach actors how to enunciate. Socha mumbles so much that I miss most of what he says. I was hoping when I heard he was going to be on this show that they would make him take elocution lessons. The fact that he is on the show actually makes me not want to watch it.

Comment by Jane – July 24, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In a weird way, I think it made him more relatable on the show. and it was always fun when other characters couldn’t understand him.

Maybe it will work in his favor again. :)

Comment by Drew – July 24, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The earlier series/seasons of Being Human UK were spectacular. As that fell off I’d agree that the US version stepped out on it’s own and did even better moving forward. Didn’t really stick around much to see Michael Socha’s work. Looking forward to seeing him in action on Onceiw

Comment by Cort – July 24, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kinda funny (or maybe not) that they went with the same formula as the original: really, really white cast, POC big bad.

Comment by courts – July 24, 2013 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Funny, some of us just look at the cast and look for talent, not the skin color. *sigh*

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – July 24, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How about black writers get to have black casts for their projects and white writers get to have white actors. In the case of Wonderland, the original writer Lewis Carroll was white and so are the current revisionist writers. So go watch BET and hope for more writers of color. I don’t see Tyler Perry casting white actors in central roles.

Comment by lyn – July 24, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • seriously? this is your argument?

Comment by mia – July 26, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ooh, there’s two spots on the racism bingo card! Good job, I’m sure you can get more!

Comment by sara – July 24, 2013 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not trying to start a fight but I can understand how frustrating it is for a person of color to not see a positive representation of themselves on television. I know that for me, I don’t see a lot of positive African American men and women on television. Admittedly there is more but not a lot. It’s difficult to grow up and accept who you are as a poc when you can’t find positive role models that look like you do. But it’s one of the sad facts most kids of color accept and move on from. It’s just how it is.

I just wish people would stop getting so defensive when someone expresses a wish that things could be more diverse. What does that say about our world when a wish for more diversity is met with hostility and sarcasm.

Ok I’m off my soap box now.

Comment by Tai – July 24, 2013 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The black population of the USA is less than 14%. I’d say there is at least that % on prime time TV. And often the POC is in a position of authority [ Castle, Suits, White Collar etc.]. It’s probably less on sit coms because cohabitation between races is not as common as mixing in the workplace. And where are the black writers whose scripts would give them creative control?

Comment by JCK – July 25, 2013 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • People who say that are people who have privilege. You have the privilege of seeing “talent”, whereas people who don’t have privilege are forced to see that no one on screen looks like them.

Comment by liz – July 24, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ^^^This! That is exactly what I was saying. I recognize talent but I also sometimes want to see talent in someone who looks like me. I don’t get why that’s so wrong.

Comment by Tai – July 24, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • its not wrong, not even in the slightest. And its not wrong to comment on it. Like I’m white and I have the privilege of seeing people who look like me on tv and other white people need to recognize their privilege too. And get over themselves. Diversity wont kill us.

Comment by mia – July 26, 2013 01:08 PM PDT
    • It’s funny because the cast appears to be pretty culturally diverse, yet you speak as though they’re all the same because of skin color.

We are all people. Take away the skin and we are the same. Who cares what color their skin is? Do you feel that a black resident of Wonderland would be representing black people of our world? That is silly.

Comment by Drew – July 24, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh wait… they’re all English. That isn’t culturally diverse at all! Racists!

Comment by Drew – July 24, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This same gal was trolling the Robin Hood comments yesterday. Do not feed, lol.

Comment by Danyelle – July 24, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sorry, babes, but pointing out some serious problems within this show isn’t trolling. And what do you mean ‘trolling’ the comments yesterday? Nobody cared about Robin Hood so they recast him. What’s trolling about that?

Comment by courts – July 24, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes Naveen Andrews is really really white.

Comment by CBWBDK1 – July 24, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is awkward. Did you not understand the end of the sentence? Naveen is the BAD GUY.

Comment by courts – July 24, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wow look at a whole thread of people who completely missed OP’s point

Comment by Betsy – July 24, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1 (sadly).
      I hope they do something interesting with Jafar. Naveen’s character on LOST was actually quite subversive considering the political context. Not long after 9/11 here’s an “Arab” being shown in a complex, multidimensional and relatable way. So I’m hoping cause its the same people they’ll do something interesting with Jafaar.

Comment by liz – July 24, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too. I’m hoping that he and the show are around for awhile. I admit I fell a little in love with Naveen during the Lost years. Enough that I started watching some of his other work. He’s a really good actor. And this casting news just got me even more excited about this show. Hope they utilize him well.

Comment by Tai – July 24, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • same. I kinda fell in love with him during LOST too. His work was exceptional on that show. The depth and heartache he was able to give to the role was fantastic.

Comment by mia – July 26, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saw the first 19 minutes of the pilot… It looks awesome. I loved it.

Comment by DarkDefender – July 24, 2013 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They played it at SDCC this past week.

Comment by DarkDefender – July 24, 2013 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jonny Coyne is also in this as Dr. Lydgate. Think he runs the institution we find Alice in ??? Remarkable actor.
    Swoon – ♥♥♥ Naveen ♥♥♥ Trying to figure out how Aladdin (Jafar) will tie in to Wonderland, but this is OUAT stuff so anything is possible.
    This might actually end up outshining the “mothership” for me.

Comment by kirads09 – July 25, 2013 03:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jafar will be this shows Rumple. Early prediction.

Comment by kirads09 – July 25, 2013 03:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not sure what you mean by ‘Jafar will be this show’s Rumple’ because of two things:
      1) Rumple’s not a villain
      2) We already know that Jafar’s a genie and has some type of connection to Cyrus that will likely play into why he’s in Wonderland at all and how Cyrus ended up as a genie in the first place

Comment by Davey Elmer – July 25, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jafar will be a dark, powerful magical villainous character (I do see Rumple as that!!) but will have surprising things about him that make us like and care about him. That is what I meant by Jafar will be like Rumple.

Comment by kirads09 – July 26, 2013 04:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they did a different one each year, a la American Horror Story… Like, this year is Wonderland, the next could be the tales from One and One Thousand Nights (Aladdin, 40 thieves, Sinbad, etc), or “Under The Sea”, or Nottingham…

Comment by Delirious – July 25, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post