It's Official: Jason Sudeikis Not Returning to Saturday Night Live

Jason Sudeikis Leaving SNLPaging all funnymen with solid Joe Biden impressions in their repertoires: Jason Sudeikis has made it official — he’s not returning to Saturday Night Live this fall.

RELATED | Full House Reunion: Jesse and the Rippers on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon

The funnyman had widely been rumored to be exiting NBC’s sketch comedy show since Season 38 wrapped in May, but he confirmed the news while taping an appearance on The Late Show with David Letterman that will air tonight (11:35/10:35c).

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Bones, Walking Dead, Grey’s Anatomy, Parenthood, HIMYM and More!

“I’m definitely done,” Sudeikis told Letterman, after noting he’d spent 10 years at SNL — two as a writer and eight as an on-air talent. “I’m not coming back next fall.”

Sudeikis, who was promoting his upcoming feature film We’re the Millers, joked that while he’s normally in the habit of brainstorming sketch ideas during the month of August, he’ll now focus on seeing which ones could last 90 minutes and be turned into movies.

Sudeikis’ announcement marks SNL‘s third high-profile exit heading into Season 39: Bill Hader and Fred Armisen jumped ship a few months back. Additionally, head writer and “Weekend Update” anchor Seth Meyers will step down from his role before the start of 2014, when he’ll take over as host of NBC’s Late Night, replacing Tonight Show-bound Jimmy Fallon.

Watch the full video of the exit announcement below, then share your thoughts. Will you miss Sudeikis on SNL? Any favorite sketches from his tenure with the show? Sound off in the comments section below!

1. Ezzy says:

I think it’s time that the show said goodbye and leave gracefully.

• danbuckley141 says:

What year are you from? 1980? What’s next, Saturday Night Dead? Were at the the beginning of a new cycle. It’s happened before and will happen again.

2. Eric says:

It’s a shame. We lost a lot of good cast members this year. But everyone knew Jason was going to leave too, and he’s slowly on his way to becoming a major movie star, so this didn’t come as a shock to me. I wish him luck, and hopefully Studio 8H fills up with a new generation of up-and-coming future movie stars soon.

3. Midori says:

With a fresh writer and a lot of new people maybe the show will be decent again.

At least every monologue will no longer be a song.

4. Finally, Jason is done on SNL after an amazing eight or nine year run. Hope Season 39 will turn things around and possibly cast more female players (fingers crossed).

5. Are the producers of SNL thinking about casting John Mulaney soon and if so, could he be one of the front runners to replace Seth Meyers to anchor Weekend Update on the first show of 2014 once Seth is taking over for Jimmy Fallon on Late Night?

• Jayla says:

Mulaney should come back to SNL since he’s show didn’t get picked up. Mulaney for Weekend Update anchor and head writer!

6. DarkDefender says:

Wonder if we will ever find out why the mass exodus. It can’t be because they all think they will kill it with movie careers… Most of them can’t carry the show, let alone a movie. But I am hopeful some new blood can invigorate the show… Been watching since day one and I am certain they will get their grove back (they eventually do). Unless Lorne retires.. Not sure how the show would do without him.

• Brooke says:

They’ve all been there for a very long time. Maybe they’re just ready for something new? Maybe they were offered a bonus to leave and allow some new blood in? Maybe they all liked working together and don’t want to continue there without their buddies? Who knows.

7. Paul Cox says:

With Sudeikis, Hader and Armisen all gone, I think we’ve seen the end of What’s Up With That?. Yes, it’s mainly Kenan’s vehicle, but those guys—especially Sudeikis’s dancing guy—were among some of my favorite things in present day recurring SNL sketches. R.I.P.

8. João Amaral says:

Taran Killam is going to take over SNL.

9. Brandy says:

Sadface. I’m gonna miss these guys. Heck, I still miss Kristen Wiig, Amy Pohler, and Maya Rudolph! But there is still a lot of promise with the current cast. The remaining ladies are really strong, and Taran, Jay, and Bobby have been stepping it up. Once Seth leaves and some new writing can emerge, it could be great.

• Paul Cox says:

Agreed. The newest part of the cast contains some of my favorites in the 27-ish years I’ve been watching the show and the only thing holding them back is some dud writing. Fix it, Lorne!

• Aprilcot says:

I was never a fan of Bobby, but these past few seasons he has been *killing* it. I’m a huge fan of Drunk Uncle and the Fox and Friends sketch. I’m also really loving Taran. I hope the new writers give Jay Pharoah to do. I feel like the current staff doesn’t much know what to do with him outside of impressions.

10. Splicer says:

A few pluses for next season:

1. Cecily Strong is funny and very cute.
    2. Vanessa Bayer can still play extremely awkward characters well.
    3. Kate McKinnon & Taran Killam can play all the lesbian & gay characters — exactly the same way each time.