Scoop: Heather Graham, Ellen Burstyn to Star in Lifetime's Flowers in the Attic Telepic

Get More: Casting News, Scoop

heather-graham-wallpaper-13214-300x225Children of the ’80s, gothic horror queen V.C. Andrews isn’t done with you yet.

Heather Graham has been tapped to star in Lifetime’s recently green-lit Flowers in the Attic, TVLine has learned. The made-for-TV movie will be based on Andrews’ popular 1979 novel (which was adapted into a feature film in 1987).

The creepy Lifetime flick will tell the story of Corrine (Graham), a recent widow who puts her four children into a pretty terrible situation at her parents’ mansion after their father’s death. A disturbing family secret causes the children’s grandmother, Olivia — played by Ellen Burstyn (Political Animals) — to lock the children in the attic, where the oldest boy and girl develop a… special bond. (Those who’ve read the book or seen the original film know where we’re going with this.)

RELATED | Exclusive: Virginia Madsen Joins Lifetime’s Witches of East End for Multi-Episode Arc

Merideth Finn (The Rite), Michele Weiss (Little Children) and Charles W. Fries (Screamers) will serve as executive producers, with Kayla Alpert (Up All Night) penning the script and Deborah Chow (The High Cost of Living) directing.

Graham is best known for film roles in Boogie Nights and the Hangover trilogy; her TV work includes ScrubsArrested Development, Portlandia and Twin Peaks. She’ll next appear as a woman from Hank’s past in the upcoming season of Californication.

Comments (33)

• Well…this be weird.

Comment by Anon – July 23, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of my fave books!!! Hope this one is better than the 1987 movie though. That just sucked…well, the actors sucked.

Comment by JB – July 23, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I read these books (the first 3 for sure) in highschool and loved them! I didn’t like the movie back then either so I hope they do a better job this time. I’ll definitely be watching. :)

Comment by Kim R – July 23, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm, too bad they couldn’t change things a tad and have it be ‘the two older boys’ or ‘the two older girls’ develop a…special bond.

Comment by Elle – July 23, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They won’t do that. They’re probably wanting to make sequels, so it’s important that the brother and sister have that “special bond.” There wouldn’t be sequels if it were two brothers or two sisters with the special bond.

Comment by Ann – July 23, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why couldn’t there be? I’ve read all the books, and there’s no reason they couldn’t make it two guys or two girls with a bit of tweaking.

Comment by Sara – July 23, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • duh because they can’t make babies

Comment by Cersei – July 23, 2013 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • But they don’t make babies in the books…

Comment by Sara – July 24, 2013 05:02 PM PDT
    • You do realize what you’re talking about and what you’re encouraging? That “special bond” really isn’t supposed to be sexy, it’s supposed to be tragic. There may be a reason why no else has ever tried to make a another movie or mini-series based on these books.

Comment by S. – July 23, 2013 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know about this…. This movie spooked me when I was younger…. And I didnt really understand it until I was older.. and well you know …. weird

Comment by Jo Jo – July 23, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fareal!! This book totally creeped me out.

Comment by tp – July 23, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haha I read the book when I was 11. It was beyond creepy, I got nightmares & kept my distance from my brother

Comment by Sara – July 23, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This book is just plain creepy.

Comment by dude – July 23, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Powdered-sugar doughnuts, anyone?

Comment by CJSchu – July 23, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right? I couldn’t eat them for forever after I read that book.

Comment by NotBri – July 23, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best comment of the thread!

Comment by TrP – July 24, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You win the internets for the day.

Comment by tara17 – July 25, 2013 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally forgot about the donuts. I don’t think I’ve read that book in close to 25 years.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 25, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they do a better job than the 80s movie did! it was such a fun series to read…in fact I would love if they made the entire Dollanganger book series a miniseries!

Comment by Tonya – July 23, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they follow the book more closely than the original movie did. The first movie glossed over a lot.

Comment by Nic – July 23, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This movie creeped me out for a long time hell I’m still scarred from it. I don’t know why people want to torture themselves watching sick movies like this but that’s just my opinion.

Comment by Sunny – July 23, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg ! this is going to be awesomely cheesy and fantastic. my inner 12 year old self is excited. and I will be watching this with some adult beverages the day it shows up on Lifetime.

Comment by Lola – July 23, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s funny, I read that book when I was 12 too. We must be the same age. I got in so much trouble with my 6th grade teacher when she caught me reading that book. My mom got called. Not that she really cared that much what I was reading.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 25, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • man, that estate cranked out THE BEST trash for a while. so many awesomely terrible books.

Comment by Betsy – July 23, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, boy. Incest: The Miniseries

Comment by Sheila – July 23, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking back I’m surprised I was allowed to read this book so young. I hope this is better than the original movie. And making it two boys or two girls and someone suggested isn’t promoting gay rights. Its an incestual relationship between siblings that is almost beyond their control. Really sad and disturbing. And it kinda had to be a boy/girl for the sequels to work.

Comment by ash – July 24, 2013 04:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “And it kinda had to be a boy/girl for the sequels to work.”

Again, why? Those characters don’t have kids together like someone suggested above, and there’s zero reason why it HAS to be a boy and girl. I’m not saying I think it should be two girls or two boys instead because it makes no difference to me, but there really isn’t a reason why it couldn’t be.

Comment by Sara – July 24, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I want this, like, NOW! The 80s movie left out too much, so I hope this one will be more faithful to the book.

Comment by Meh – July 24, 2013 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not getting my hopes up about this movie, only because the book is so edgy and controversial that there’s no way a TV station can do it justice with the censors and everything. I honestly wish it was going to be a new big screen adaptation, because at least then they could try and do a better job than the first time around (though I will say I didn’t hate Kristy Swanson as Cathy)

Comment by Brittany – July 24, 2013 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That series is a trainwreck. It’s like every few pages the author got bored and decided- hey, who hasn’t slept together yet? Blood ties be damned, these people need to have an affair.
    But I guess in this post Cersei-Jamie Lannister world, Lifetime decided to hop on the incest train.

Comment by Alice – July 24, 2013 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the whole series as a teen. If they stick to the script without whitewashing it (like the awful 80s movie), it’ll be awesome. Great casting so far. My Sweet Audrina is still my favorite VC Andrews novel, though.

Comment by tara17 – July 25, 2013 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally think this is getting made into a movie because someone watched Game of Thrones and The Borgias and Boss and Boardwalk Empire and thought to themselves, hey, incest is the new hot thing right now! I read that series a couple of times as a 12-year old, and I’ve often wondered if I went and re-read it as an adult if I would still like it. It seems like things you enjoy when you’re a pre-teen or a teenager you don’t really like as much when you get old.
    I know Flowers in the Attic is her most popular novel, but I would rather see someone make Heaven into a movie, as it is better writing. Or at least my 12-year old self thought so. I can’t explain it, but I am weirdly fascinated with cultures that are poor and backwoods, and I love to watch movies and shows about them. It could be because of how much I read Heaven as a teen back when I was all impressionable and stuff.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 25, 2013 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • V.C. Andrews novels are not all written by V.C. Andrews. After the death of V.C. Andrews, multiple other writers were selected to “ghost” write using her name. Hence, the absurdity of many of the plots. We will never know how V.C. Andrews intended the story to end.

Comment by Jennifer – August 22, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post