Scoop: Heather Graham, Ellen Burstyn to Star in Lifetime's Flowers in the Attic Telepic

heather-graham-wallpaper-13214-300x225Children of the ’80s, gothic horror queen V.C. Andrews isn’t done with you yet.

Heather Graham has been tapped to star in Lifetime’s recently green-lit Flowers in the Attic, TVLine has learned. The made-for-TV movie will be based on Andrews’ popular 1979 novel (which was adapted into a feature film in 1987).

The creepy Lifetime flick will tell the story of Corrine (Graham), a recent widow who puts her four children into a pretty terrible situation at her parents’ mansion after their father’s death. A disturbing family secret causes the children’s grandmother, Olivia — played by Ellen Burstyn (Political Animals) — to lock the children in the attic, where the oldest boy and girl develop a… special bond. (Those who’ve read the book or seen the original film know where we’re going with this.)

RELATED | Exclusive: Virginia Madsen Joins Lifetime’s Witches of East End for Multi-Episode Arc

Merideth Finn (The Rite), Michele Weiss (Little Children) and Charles W. Fries (Screamers) will serve as executive producers, with Kayla Alpert (Up All Night) penning the script and Deborah Chow (The High Cost of Living) directing.

Graham is best known for film roles in Boogie Nights and the Hangover trilogy; her TV work includes ScrubsArrested Development, Portlandia and Twin Peaks. She’ll next appear as a woman from Hank’s past in the upcoming season of Californication.

1. Anon says:

Well…this be weird.

2. JB says:

One of my fave books!!! Hope this one is better than the 1987 movie though. That just sucked…well, the actors sucked.

• Kim R says:

I read these books (the first 3 for sure) in highschool and loved them! I didn’t like the movie back then either so I hope they do a better job this time. I’ll definitely be watching. :)

3. Elle says:

Hmm, too bad they couldn’t change things a tad and have it be ‘the two older boys’ or ‘the two older girls’ develop a…special bond.

• Ann says:

They won’t do that. They’re probably wanting to make sequels, so it’s important that the brother and sister have that “special bond.” There wouldn’t be sequels if it were two brothers or two sisters with the special bond.

• S. says:

You do realize what you’re talking about and what you’re encouraging? That “special bond” really isn’t supposed to be sexy, it’s supposed to be tragic. There may be a reason why no else has ever tried to make a another movie or mini-series based on these books.

4. Jo Jo says:

I don’t know about this…. This movie spooked me when I was younger…. And I didnt really understand it until I was older.. and well you know …. weird

5. dude says:

This book is just plain creepy.

6. CJSchu says:

Powdered-sugar doughnuts, anyone?

7. Tonya says:

I hope they do a better job than the 80s movie did! it was such a fun series to read…in fact I would love if they made the entire Dollanganger book series a miniseries!

8. Nic says:

I hope they follow the book more closely than the original movie did. The first movie glossed over a lot.

9. Sunny says:

This movie creeped me out for a long time hell I’m still scarred from it. I don’t know why people want to torture themselves watching sick movies like this but that’s just my opinion.

10. Lola says:

omg ! this is going to be awesomely cheesy and fantastic. my inner 12 year old self is excited. and I will be watching this with some adult beverages the day it shows up on Lifetime.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

That’s funny, I read that book when I was 12 too. We must be the same age. I got in so much trouble with my 6th grade teacher when she caught me reading that book. My mom got called. Not that she really cared that much what I was reading.

11. Betsy says:

man, that estate cranked out THE BEST trash for a while. so many awesomely terrible books.

12. Sheila says:

Oh, boy. Incest: The Miniseries

13. ash says:

Looking back I’m surprised I was allowed to read this book so young. I hope this is better than the original movie. And making it two boys or two girls and someone suggested isn’t promoting gay rights. Its an incestual relationship between siblings that is almost beyond their control. Really sad and disturbing. And it kinda had to be a boy/girl for the sequels to work.

• Sara says:

“And it kinda had to be a boy/girl for the sequels to work.”

Again, why? Those characters don’t have kids together like someone suggested above, and there’s zero reason why it HAS to be a boy and girl. I’m not saying I think it should be two girls or two boys instead because it makes no difference to me, but there really isn’t a reason why it couldn’t be.

14. Meh says:

Yay! I want this, like, NOW! The 80s movie left out too much, so I hope this one will be more faithful to the book.

15. Brittany says:

I’m not getting my hopes up about this movie, only because the book is so edgy and controversial that there’s no way a TV station can do it justice with the censors and everything. I honestly wish it was going to be a new big screen adaptation, because at least then they could try and do a better job than the first time around (though I will say I didn’t hate Kristy Swanson as Cathy)

16. Alice says:

That series is a trainwreck. It’s like every few pages the author got bored and decided- hey, who hasn’t slept together yet? Blood ties be damned, these people need to have an affair.
    But I guess in this post Cersei-Jamie Lannister world, Lifetime decided to hop on the incest train.

17. tara17 says:

I loved the whole series as a teen. If they stick to the script without whitewashing it (like the awful 80s movie), it’ll be awesome. Great casting so far. My Sweet Audrina is still my favorite VC Andrews novel, though.

18. Britta Unfiltered says:

I totally think this is getting made into a movie because someone watched Game of Thrones and The Borgias and Boss and Boardwalk Empire and thought to themselves, hey, incest is the new hot thing right now! I read that series a couple of times as a 12-year old, and I’ve often wondered if I went and re-read it as an adult if I would still like it. It seems like things you enjoy when you’re a pre-teen or a teenager you don’t really like as much when you get old.
    I know Flowers in the Attic is her most popular novel, but I would rather see someone make Heaven into a movie, as it is better writing. Or at least my 12-year old self thought so. I can’t explain it, but I am weirdly fascinated with cultures that are poor and backwoods, and I love to watch movies and shows about them. It could be because of how much I read Heaven as a teen back when I was all impressionable and stuff.

19. Jennifer says:

V.C. Andrews novels are not all written by V.C. Andrews. After the death of V.C. Andrews, multiple other writers were selected to “ghost” write using her name. Hence, the absurdity of many of the plots. We will never know how V.C. Andrews intended the story to end.